Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Another Weedy classic  image

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    It's ok, I have a monument at 10k.  I pee behind it every year.  There will be a blue plaque in 2014, I just know it....

/members/images/727962/Gallery/l1034cea.jpg

Weedy I love you more than I can say....please email that to me, Mr Maj needs to see it...or stick it You Know Whereimage

• Options
    Scott the slightly faster than walking walker wrote (see)

MM and yer maj -- you bet I look good , apart from the hairy legs image

Pfft. We'll soon fix those...

• Options

I'll sit on him, you fetch the wax....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    That s brilliant, Weedy.
  • Options

Weedy that's sooo funny! 

• Options

What is it about u girls n waxin? is it just a fondness of smooth pins or do u actually want to inflict suffering upon us?

• Options

It's the suffering. So you'll know what we go through.image

• Options

Not cause u wanna see my beautiful pale white legs in all their glory smooth and silky like?

• Options

No.  We want to hurt you.

• Options

Hi Luke. Blue pen for you at least, if not higher.

Steve - we're just organised because we're tight and the price goes up the longer you leave everything image

Not sure what's in the tablets, so couldn't say if they're good or bad. Someone here has probably come across them tho

Maus - hope work turns out alright and CBA goes.

• Options

If training goes to plan I think i'll try and move to blue pen, thanks for feedback everyone.

I'm just busy looking at hotels all evening. Has many people chosen or stayed in Ibis's in Paris? Some prices looking ok for me and reviews on trip advisor are fine. I'm finding it hard to gauge whether my hotel is central or not? by the maps of Paris, as I've never been beforeimage

One last question what time does everyone get up and on the move race day? I'm not one for  being late !! image

Cheers, Luke

• Options

Welcome Luke - as you can see, the madness has already begun

Weedy - despite being completely illiterate in French (and most every other language including "english" according to my American friends), you completely crack me up.  If I ever find myself in a bar with both you and YM (as I hope too) I simply don't think my heart will hold out and I'll probably die from laughter induced hypoxia.

I am well into taper mode - relutantly going for my runs.

All the best to the Berliners - travel well, stay safe, run well and have fun.

• Options

Steve - a quick look at those tablets suggests the active ingredient in them is caffeine. I'm not a doctor, but I'd suggest staying away from herbal stuff like that as you don't know what other effects it's having on your system. If you're low on energy when you finish work I'd suggest a snack of something easily digestible, like a muesli bar or a banana, and a coffee if you want the caffeine, would probably be better for you. And cheaper.

Luke - there's generally a thread mass photocall/soothing of nerves/application of Vaseline at the Arc de Triomphe at 8am. Personally, I get up about 5:45 to make sure there's time for breakfast to digest, I'm properly hydrated etc (let's not dwell on the etc). Others might have different routines, but that seems to be pretty average.

• Options

Luke - I've stayed in the Ibis in montmarte a couple of times. Its fine and has easy metro links to the start and expo.

Steve - No idea what are in the tablets, so can't comment. As for gels some like them, some can't stomach them quite literary. Best idea is to experiment and see what works for you, particularly on long runs. That way you know what to do on race day.

• Options

Steve I agree with RR and real food would be better option. I run home from work which is only 5miles but find it hard going if I've not eaten since lunch. us now snack on trail mix, bananas, cliff bars/nkd bars and have a glass of water about an hour before I finish and that seems to do the trick. 

Taper week. Ran 5 miles with my 10yr old. He went like a bullet out of a gun so it turned into a tempo one for me. No fun running with kids...lol.

• Options

All set to go! Think I shouldn't of bothered going to bed and gone running instead - I certainly would be feeling better right now! Worst nights sleep ever....image Plenty of time for sleeping today.....

• Options

Have a safe trip kaz. Enjoy Berlin. 

• Options

Woooohoooo! Kaz is escaping from the island! See you on the other side. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck all the Berliners! And the doughnuts! The island will be pretty empty, this weekend...

Luke, try the ratp.fr site or their phone app to plot the route between your hotel and the Start. The Metro is actually quite a lot of fun on race day.You won't be alone, wherever you're staying.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

I get up about 5:45 to make sure there's time for breakfast to digest, I'm properly hydrated etc (let's not dwell on the etc). 

IMO the "etc." is the most important part of the pre-race preparations. Ilike to have breakfast at least an hour before leaving home / hotel / apartment and let nature do the rest.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Scott the slightly faster than walking walker wrote (see)
    But I've decided to run Paris again and conquer my demons !!!
    So the moral is ,,, make sure you have an empty bladder and join the proper pen ,

it's not too difficult to change when your at the expo collecting your bib,
    Good luck
    Little bo peep image

Little Green Peep - "join the proper pen".  Great advice !  And no piss taking !

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

Steve - a quick look at those tablets suggests the active ingredient in them is caffeine. I'm not a doctor, but I'd suggest staying away from herbal stuff like that as you don't know what other effects it's having on your system. If you're low on energy when you finish work I'd suggest a snack of something easily digestible, like a muesli bar or a banana, and a coffee if you want the caffeine, would probably be better for you. And cheaper.

Steve - RR's absolutely right. Have a look at gels.

• Options

Hey everyone. Exciting day ahead. Am doing something called a Cooper Test at lunchtime - it's something that allows a fairly accurate estimation of VO2Max - you get to run round a race track for 12 minutes, with the ojective being to cover as much distance as possible. Lots of people from the work running club will be there, so it will be very competitive. My goal is to go better than 3,200m but ideally I'd like to be closer to 3,500m. Let's see this afternon.

There's an interesting article here in the NY Times about a study looking at long term knee health in distance runners. Does running wear your knees out, or could it in fact be better for you than being a couch potato?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good luck for the test today TD! I'll have my first run with work colleagues tonight so I'm looking forward to!

steve - personally I wouldn't trust anything in pill form. Theres nothing better than good honest food. If you need to have some energy - have a muesli bar or a coffee. To give you an example. Tonight I'll be running 4 miles with the team from work At 6pm. At 4pm I'll have some water and a muesli bar to give it time to digest and I'll be fine.In all  honesty   - I don't need it - but as I have Berlin marathon this weekend I don't want to deplete my stores too much.

• Options
    I like the Cooper test TD...... Once it's over, and I've stopped being sick!image

One flight down two to go!
  • Options

Safe travels, all you mobilising Berliners....

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    CLR - Don't forget to pack your
    /members/images/94077/Gallery/1873037_300.jpg

• Options

Good luck Berliners!!image