Options

ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• Options

fairycakes - if you'd asked us that question in April, I'd give you a whole different answer but, for now, I agree with flyaway, Wabby and MTri.  Do what you've always done.  We can talk more generally afterwards.

• Options

agree .. do what works for you.........I use the caffiene ones on the bike......usually about 10 to 14 of them during the ride.....and then on the run i can't face a gel.only water and coke.....

I think this goes against good advice but it seems to be ok for me.....

so don't worry what people say if it works for you

• Options

Mtri, LCW '13 had a similar swim. A fair old run in, almost to the first buoy, on the first lap. I found it no different time wise for the first lap between LCW 13 and 14, both35 mins per lap, and 50 mins to reach the far left hand buoy on the 2nd lap both years. Found the long stretch a bit more difficult on the 2nd lap in 2013. Difficult to keep a straight line. Pushed in toward shore. Overall, 2013 - 1:18:?? 2014 - 1:14:??

i know it's comparing apples and oranges....

• Options
    Looking forward to supporting you all next weekend. I'll be arriving VERY early on Sunday morning (having driven down from the wilds of Northern England) to see you all depart on the swim and then cheering you on throughout the day. Looking forward to it, and jealous as hell as I wish I was racing rather than watching!!

Have fun folks and do not, under any circumstances, be shit!
  • Options

Still no numbers image

• Options

Tired Badger.. I think the numbers will be issued at registration?

Hows everyones tapering going?

I'm losing motivation during my taper period image keep getting sporadic jitters.. sometimes the swim... sometimes the run.. sometimes the bike... right now its the run! I feel like I haven't done enough sometimes, in certain disciplines.

Anyone know if there will be a provided public Track Pump on the morning of the race or do we need to bring our own?

MTRI - I was thinking of removing the wet suit completely... but I'm not sure how stringent the rules are.. If i were to wear only tri shorts underneath.. (according to the race pack no nudity is allowed).. removing the wetsuit fully or just half way makes me bare chested.. I'm assuming this counts as a DQ?! whats your experience from previous Wales T1's?

On the bright side, the weather is looking half decent... though accuweather states 22km/hr winds :O

• Options

I'm enjoying the taper, short sessions feeling good and less stressed than last year.

Not sure about a public track pump, never saw one last year and I doubt anyone would refuse you a borrow of theirs anyway.

According to BTF rules, men cant undo front zips on tri suits so bare chested would attract a penalty at the very least if spotted I would assume.

Re the wind, out over Manorbier and out to Freshie West will be windy as you're headed west into the prevailing wind, the course other than that is pretty well sheltered actually.

• Options

the numbers are usually out before registration so we can put a nice little list up here....

I find taper strange...I can never be bothered to do the short sessions so just usually end up doing nothing for 2 weeks..image

• Options

Final RV - I meant being bare chested for the run from the swim to T1... I called up IM Wales to ask them. i.e. 'If i was just wearing Tri shorts under wet suit does this mean I have to run the entire T1 with my wetsuit on?' there response was 'you can take it down to your waist only if only wearing tri shorts underneath and be bare chested. You are not allowed to take it all off unless you have a full tri-suit or tri top & bottom.'

I was just wandering what previous IM experience is like at Wales as I've seen photos of people just with Tri shorts running with the Wetsuit on their shoulders which, according to my phone call with IM Wales, is prohibited. So I'm not sure what the regulation is.

I noticed that on my trial run, the route down past freshwater and Angle is really windy.  I just hope the Anemoi are favouring us on the 14th September image

Seren nos- I am in the same boat. I haven't done anything since Sunday and i don't plan on doing anything else this week. My diary suggests otherwise image

• Options
    I've begun to wonder whether it's necessary to cut back much at this stage. This will probably turn out to be the classic error made by people without a proper training plan. I have reduced the length of my long runs since last week, and my long bike will be shorter this week, but until the weekend I shall cram in a fair bit of training. After Friday, though, it'll be a relaxing family weekend and v little further training after that.

Probably.
  • Options
    Also....

I think bib numbers will appear on Monday, and on the 2 times I've done it, running up to T1 with wettie down to the waist has worked fine, so you could get away with a Tri top under wettie?
  • Options

Diego2, I'd err on the side of caution, last thing you need is a red flag you after the swim for something so simple.  The rules are clear.

22.5  Competitors must be adequately clothed at all times,the minimum being a one-ortwo- piece non-transparent swimsuit, together with a cycling or running top, if appropriate, with a gap no greater than 10cm (4”). All competitors must ensure their upper body (especially the chest area) is clothed during the cycling and running sections of the event. Front fastening tops and trisuits must be fully fastened at all times. 

• Options

you can probably get away with as the rules for the swim part is different.......

if its a non wetsuit swim then people can run from the lake/ beach to T1 in just their swim cossie....

I always wear my tri top and tri shorts underneath my wettie as its hardwork getting on  one on a wet body....and i wouldn't want to run in my bra with my tummy wobbling

• Options

so is it okay to put a base layer/cycle top in the bag and put it on when i take off the wetsuit and then run to T1? i guess i will have to ask after the briefing to be sure.

• Options
    I would say no. You aren't allowed to use the run to T1 for your advantage.

Otherwise, you might as well have your blue bag there and turn up to T1 ready changed for the bike.
  • Options

they will explain all in the briefing and answer all questions.. image

• Options

MTri, i wouldn't put it on during the run, but before it with the shoes (and if i really wanted an advantage i would wear a tri suit) but of course i see your point. i am sure it will be clear after the briefing. also, good read, thanks.

• Options

Numbers sent out today

Duda 1420   image

• Options

Andras 539

thanks Duda, mine arrived at the spam folder, would have missed it completely...

don't forget to complete the athlete requirements form, especially if you want a personal needs bag for the bike course!

• Options

Duda 1420   image

Andras 539

Wabby 1525 image

• Options
    andras wrote (see)

so is it okay to put a base layer/cycle top in the bag and put it on when i take off the wetsuit and then run to T1? i guess i will have to ask after the briefing to be sure.

Putting a base layer on straight out of the water isnt going to be a particuarly smooth operation, i would say that even if you are allowed (which i doubt given the instructions in previous years about a "bag for shoes" to run from beach to t1) then you'd be better off waiting until the relative comfort of the transition tent by which point you will be a little drier and it wont be such a wrestle ?.

It also means you don't then become an obstacle on the zig zags up from the beach which i suspect is the main reason IMW would discourage any additional dressing or undressing? 

• Options

Duda 1420

Andras 539

Wabby 1525

Slag 1720 (old bastard)

• Options

I guess its time to start training?

• Options

Duda 1420

Andras 539

Wabby 1525

Slag 1720 (old bastard)

Diego 397

• Options

Duda 1420

Andras 539

Wabby 1525

Slag 1720 (old bastard)

Batty Hattie 172 image

• Options
    Slagiatt wrote (see)
    andras wrote (see)

Putting a base layer on straight out of the water isnt going to be a particuarly smooth operation, i would say that even if you are allowed (which i doubt given the instructions in previous years about a "bag for shoes" to run from beach to t1) then you'd be better off waiting until the relative comfort of the transition tent by which point you will be a little drier and it wont be such a wrestle ?.

It also means you don't then become an obstacle on the zig zags up from the beach which i suspect is the main reason IMW would discourage any additional dressing or undressing? 

makes complete sense, if i were organising, i wouldnt allow anything apart from the shoes since there is not enough space for the people to dress and don't disturb the others who want to run straight to t1.

so i guess the only question is if they allow you to run with a bare chest to t1 or not. if yes, just tri shorts under the wetsuit is fine, if not you need a tri top as well.

• Options

another valuable info from the latter: GREEN caps this year image