Options

ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• Options

DaylightR, having stayed slightly out of town (Kiln Park) in 2011, and in town in 2013 and again this weekend, I'd recommend staying in Tenby itself, ideally near North Beach or on the run route.

Gives you the benefit of parking the car and forgetting about it for the weekend, and actually be in and around everybody else and soaking up the great atmosphere of Tenby.  Getting changed in the house on race day morning and a 5 minute walk to transition/beach is well worth it.

For supporters, it's great to have a base they can get back to, just to chill out, eat, drink, ablute, etc.  it's a long day for an athlete, even longer for supports, and an early start.  When you disappear on the bike for 6-7 hours, there's little to do but stand and wait, that's where a local base is good.  Also, roads are closed in and around Tenby and can make coming and going on race day difficult.

Downside, running past your accommodation four times on the day can make it difficult.

• Options

Race plan written, shopping list prepared, kit list done, and 'dummy' white, blue and red bags packed.

Just need to check, re-check and check again.  OCD will kick in big time.

• Options

MTri wrote (see)

Race plan written, shopping list prepared, kit list done, and 'dummy' white, blue and red bags packed.

Just need to check, re-check and check again.  OCD will kick in big time.

That makes two of us! image

• Options
    Being a local to pembrokeshire I would say kiln park ideal for a family of 6. Plenty of hotels to stay in near to the start/transition area .. I would book sooner rather than later though..kiln park is a 15 min walk into town ..
  • Options

I second Kiln Park. Easy access to town and nice and quiet at night to sleep so long as there are not too many weekenders having late night parties! Plus there is on site entertainment - although I'll be going into town for that.

• Options

This will be my first IM, and I have spent the past few weeks jumping from feeling excited, to nervous, to doubting my ability to get round. Today, I woke up completely panic-struck!!! It is as if the sheer enormity of the whole thing has hit me like a sledgehammer!!! I feel completely unprepared, have not made any kit list or meal list, haven't got a clue whether to do a full change in T1, bib shorts or tri shorts, do I take a jacket or a gillet and armwarmers. I keep making the mistake of reading horror jellyfish/ choppy waters/ relentless hill stories on facebook. I seem to have left everything to last minute. Sports massage today, bike check Wednesday. Drive to Tenby Friday. I'm starting to think I should have booked this week of work to prepare myself rather than next week to recover!!! If I even get round!! HELP!!!! Is this normal??????

• Options

I feel your pain Thommo! and when MTRi mentioned a race plan I was panic stricken in that I don't even know what one is!!!  I have decided on a full change in t1 cos I don't like being cold, I am yet to make my check list but will do so tonight!!  there are a few jelly fish in the sea at the minute but only a few and you wont pay any attention to them on race day, the wind is looking ok at the minute so hopefully no choppy waters but I wont mention the hills!!

• Options

completely normal  Thommo ..  and if you are anything like me the decision on what to wear will change frequently right up until you hang the bag on the peg ( and sometimes after that too ) .   The sea will be what it will be , but i can pretty much guarantee it wont be as rough as 2011 and even the slow crappy swimmers like me made it out in plenty of time for the cut offs so you'll be fine . The course is hilly .. just pick em off one at a time as you get to them .. worrying about a hill coming up in 20 miles wont make it any easier , or indeed any harder , just means you spend your time stressing about that instead of focusing on the job at hand and making sure you eat and drink when you should ( made that mistake as you may have guessed ) .  The atmosphere in Tenby next week will turn the nerves to excitement beleive me . 

• Options

Pretty excited today got a few things to get sorted for my bags and my bike needs serviced. I'm going with bib shorts but putting them over my tri shorts as that worked at IMUK but I do worry about being cold and never get on with arm warmers so hopefully the weather fairies will help me out.

Good luck to everyone and hope to meet up with a few of you in Tenby.

• Options

MTri, what have you done?!?! image

• Options

Thommo, this is number five for me, and I still feel unprepared.  In fact, this is the most unprepared I've been.  I've ridden a fair but this year, but they've all been 'social' rides, rather than training, so not the best.  Very little swimming, and haven't been in a pool since May, and very little running.

So, I wrote myself a race plan, trying to realign any targets I had with where I think I am, and can do on the day.  Also, this is likely to be my last IM for some time, so want to enjoy the day.  Hence, no watch, Garmin, no bike computer, all on feel, and no real time pressures, just a finish, and with a smile.

Kit choice, will be based upon the weather, but as usual, gilet and arm warmer sin bag, and I'll make a final decision on T1.  I also find the Plan useful for organising myself, I works through the weekend, and what I need and then I know what I need to take, or to get.

As to the day, stay in the hear-and-now.  Focus on the next immediate task, turn buoy, hill, descent, next feed etc, break it down into small chunks that you can control now, and then tick them off.

As to fears, wait, it'll get worse, nightmares will start, turning up on the beach in a boiler suit, not a wetsuit etc, al common concerns.

• Options
    andras wrote (see)

Don't blame me, none of us will be thinking striaght this week

• Options

Thommo, Wales was my first Ironman distance race last year and I had similar doubts, a few nerves aren't a bad thing but don't fear the day that lies ahead.  Honestly once the national anthem plays on the beach you'll be fine, get into the water and find your rhythm the swim will fly by, before you know it you'll be cycling into Tenby again in the afternoon ready for a bit of a jog round the town.

I've decided pretty much NOT to do a full change this year unless the weather looks to deteriorate in the next few days, I did last year, be warned the modesty area is tiny and overcrowded and you will get a face full of someone else's sweaty bum crack.

• Options

Thanks for all the advice. Tonight is going to be my list-making night I think!! Once I feel a bit more organised I will hopefully start relaxing a bit! I've just put together a pace chart to stick to my bike based on my usual 14mph average, which will just get me through the bike leg (as I am not likely to have much time left after the swim). This will either boost my confidence on the bike leg or send me into a blind panic. Either way, I think I would rather know how I am doing seeing as I will be so close to the cut off marks. That is if my Garmin doesn't fail!! Haha, I really need to start looking at things from a glass half full rather than half empty!! I am treating this race as my Pirate audition! I have my borrowed monaco and am hoping the immense pirate support will carry me home! The positive attitude starts now - I will not be shit!! 

• Options

Sea forecasts are looking pretty calm as well,

http://magicseaweed.com/Tenby-South-Beach-Surf-Report/33/

Flat sea and good weather, doesn't sound like the Ironman Wales I've learnt to love

• Options
    MTri wrote (see)
    andras wrote (see)

Don't blame me, none of us will be thinking striaght this week

yeah, but reading how organised you are made everybody feel very unprepared. image

strongly agree with the write-a-list thing though (but dummy bags are a little too much, i have to say image) i have done mine on saturday, makes things much easier and gives you confidence. i forgot to write one for the 70.3 and the whole thing was a mess and a hurry. it was also one of the reasons i changed my arrival date from friday to thursday, i want to get over with everything on friday and just relax, do next to nothing on saturday.

• Options

Here is my list:

IRONMAN WALES Important things List

Saturday Transition open for bike and bag check in:

12:00 Numbers 1201 - 1600

Swim – Target 1h25m (7am – 8.25am)

Goggles x 3 (2 spares)

Tri shorts

Tri Top

Calf guards

Wetsuit

Baby oil

Old running shoes

Towel

Bike - Target 6h45m (@8.35am – 3.15pm)

Pocket Pump

3 x spare inner tubes

Fold-up Jacket

Cycle jersey

Arm warmers

2 x bike helmets

Gloves – both types (warm & cold)

2 x Bottles (filled with high card drink)

Tri bag containing – GU Gels, 3 x Powerbars

Jaffa cakes

Bike chain lubricant

Track pump

Run – Target 4h20m (@3.25pm – 7.45pm)

Running shoes

Cap

Personal bag

Hoody

T-shirt

Shorts

Crocks

Socks

Plasters

Vaseline

Recovery drink

• Options

Thommo.. with your bike pacing you may want to go a little faster over the first 38 miles which are relatively flat as the pace will drop down over the remaining miles which is the hillier 2 loops of Narberth...image

• Options

Nearly forgot the tri-belt!

• Options
    Andras, dummy bags are great. That way I can pack everything I need into either swim, bike and run, and for Tenby add in a T0.5. I then do a run through of the day, practicing transitions and removing any unnecessary kit, or adding any missing kit. When I get to Tenby it's simply a case of transferring the dummy bags into the proper bags, job done, no stress
  • Options
    fairycakes wrote (see)

Thommo.. with your bike pacing you may want to go a little faster over the first 38 miles which are relatively flat as the pace will drop down over the remaining miles which is the hillier 2 loops of Narberth...image

Thanks fairycakes. I've read mixed advice over the initial miles. Some sites have have said not to push too much so you have something left for the tougher sections. Maybe I need to relook at my pacing as I have just based it on an even spread over 8 hours at 14mph.

• Options
    Wabby, could be worth putting some cycle shoes on the list, always come in handy on the bike, and glasses
  • Options
    MTri wrote (see)
    Andras, dummy bags are great. That way I can pack everything I need into either swim, bike and run, and for Tenby add in a T0.5. I then do a run through of the day, practicing transitions and removing any unnecessary kit, or adding any missing kit. When I get to Tenby it's simply a case of transferring the dummy bags into the proper bags, job done, no stress

you are probably right, i am travelling with train though so i have to pack smart cause i have limited space in the bag so i use the list instead of separate bags image

• Options
    MTri wrote (see)
    Wabby, could be worth putting some cycle shoes on the list, always come in handy on the bike, and glasses

put the bike on the list too image

• Options

I've written transition 'To do' lists, to go into my bags.  I have a tendency to get in a flap and put things on in the wrong order (like my coat before arm warmers) or forget things (like eating a banana), so it helps me keep my head together, as long as I remember to follow the list!image  

• Options

image ... they do help andras! LOL!

• Options
    Thommo75 wrote (see)
    fairycakes wrote (see)

Thanks fairycakes. I've read mixed advice over the initial miles. Some sites have have said not to push too much so you have something left for the tougher sections. Maybe I need to relook at my pacing as I have just based it on an even spread over 8 hours at 14mph.

The initial 60km, from start out to Angle and back to Lamphey can be relatively quick, but push too hard too son, and you'll pay for it on the hills, especially lap 2, and then again on the run.  Take it easy early on, and then build through the ride, to finish strong, and be OK for the run.

As they say, if you're not doing what everyone else is doing, then you're doing it right.

• Options

I,m only going on what happens to me in training, I live locally and train the course every week and am similarly paced to you hoping for 14.5 average on the day, to maintain that average im usually 15.5 over for first 38 miles allowing for the natural slowing of your pace over the hills, so don't go out too fast just maybe a little quicker than 14 (unless you are consistant with your speed regardless of hills in which case ignore everything ive said!!!!)

• Options

I think I will try and go a tad faster for the first 38 miles. Thanks for the tip fairycakes. If I can pick up some speed without pushing that would be ideal and give me a boost. I don't want to take it too easy as I'll just struggle to push on later on. If I make the swim cut off I'll just be ecstatic so probably won't even notice what speed I'm doing on the bike!!!

• Options

I'm sure you will be just great, really looking forward to it now, I'm with you on the swim!!image