Options

Ironman UK 2014

Comments

• Options
    Blue Steel wrote (see)

I went to the flash last Saturday Pudge! Not many people there! I'm going most Saturday from now on (apart from this sat doing Coniston Olympic) you should come to the 3 sisters on a Wednesday night, it a good coached session! they get about 140 people each week.

http://www.theendurancecoach.com/open-water-swimming/111-wednesday-open-water-swimming.html

Really?  I went a couple of times last year and I don't remember it being very big.  Is it not a bit of a squish with 140 bodies in the water?  Although, if it is, then I suppose it'll be good practice for a mass swim start!

• Options

It is a bit mate, they are split into 1 novice group, 2 intermediate group (slow and fast) and advanced! me and the wife are going tomorrow if your up for it? I'll have my pirate swim cap on! 

• Options
    SumoSue wrote (see)

Sounds like the swim I had last night and there was only around 50/60 of us - can't wait for when it's 2000 of us. 

Was that at the flash sue

i was there last night and will prob be there on sat 

• Options

Yes Crooky - it was great on Monday night, can't make this Saturday, but should be there next Monday.  I'm the one who always swims wide of the buoys even when there's only me in - if you're down on Monday, I'll catch up with you then.

• Options

Now Lanza is over, thoughts turn to Bolton...the new bike course is flat, right?? image

• Options
    Timmy_G wrote (see)

Now Lanza is over, thoughts turn to Bolton...the new bike course is flat, right?? image

Tim - I looked out for you in Lanza but didn't see you, although I know you spoke with SA.  Sorry about the DNF, but use it to spur you on even more at IMUK!

• Options

Definitely - it was a great week, a great experience and an awesome training day for Boltonimage

• Options

Hoping to get up and support again but probably only for the bike and will be in the same sport as last time as this proved to be in a spot that wasn't well supported

• Options
    Which bit of the course was that SA

I will need all the help I can get
  • Options

very near the end of something called jolly tar lane, just before it joins Wigan lane

• Options

all gone suspiciously quiet in here...bricking it???

went to bala last weekend which has me excited for IMUK.(saw Dave spartan...nice to catch up...and mouse...my mrs was talking to her on the run)...MrsB is racing so hoping she puts last years demons to bed.

having my shoulder op next week so imuk will get me in the mood for the brutal half.......

hows the training going people??

• Options
    AndyB99 wrote (see)

all gone suspiciously quiet in here...bricking it???

went to bala last weekend which has me excited for IMUK.(saw Dave spartan...nice to catch up...and mouse...my mrs was talking to her on the run)...MrsB is racing so hoping she puts last years demons to bed.

having my shoulder op next week so imuk will get me in the mood for the brutal half.......

hows the training going people??

People are keeping training secret, and not giving anything away

everybody wants a kona place image

• Options

I'm definitely looking for a Kona spot in my AG....by that I mean hoping they will roll down about 300 placesimage

• Options

I'll be down at Pennington Flash tonight if anyone's going

• Options

not for me dont finish work till 6 so evenings are out

• Options
    SumoSue wrote (see)

I'll be down at Pennington Flash tonight if anyone's going

There's an outside chance I could make it, so might see you there Sue image

Failing that, I'll hopefully be there on Saturday morning.

• Options

Can't make Saturday mornings - see you in just under 5 weeks image

• Options

Hi All, would anyone be doing a loop of the bike course tomorrow?  I'd be travelling from Cardiff but really want to try the course out to help me decide whether to do IMUK on my road or Tri bike.  Unless someone can give me good advice on the road surface that is?  My Tri bike is all good and fast but on bad road surfaces it causes my back to hurt and teeth to rattle out.  My road bike is comfy but probably half an hour slower at IM distance.

Cheers, Dougie

• Options

I'd go for the road bike unless you are massively concerned about time. A group of us went out the other week and we were all surprised how poor the road surface is in parts.

• Options
    I will agree with IB road surface is not good

On a lot of the roads

Saying that I will be doing it on my tri bike
  • Options

afternoon people, im back

Had a few problems with training (haven't we all) and am a bit behind and was thinking about pulling out a few weeks ago through calf and knee injuries.

Sod it am going for it.

Did it last year and had a great time and signed up before I had time to get a grip of my senses!

Not booked any accomodation yet, but didnt do that until the last minute last year anyway.

Will keep in touch on here as I remember last year the nerves tend to kick in a bit as we get closer.

By the way if its your first time Sheep House Lane isn't as bad as what it is meant to be although I did see some bloke dragging his bike up on my last climb of it last yearimage

• Options

Well my ride today started off very good and did a loop of the ironman course,

but on the way back after sheep house lane just before the black dog, I had an incident. I came round a bend hit a pothole and got thrown off

cutting my knee open, so ambulance called by another cyclist who stopped for me, another 5 or 6 also stopped and stayed with me to make sure I was ok, 2 of them from COLT who stayed with me right till the end and many thanks to them.

so got to chorley hospital and doc thought I may have broke my knee cap so off to X-ray I went, result no damage to knee cap just all the tendons around it, the doc then stitched me up after having the most painful injections around the wound to numb it, 

So now my leg is bandaged from foot to top of leg and I have to go back on wed for a check on the wound, bit of good news is the doc said I could possibly be riding again in 2 weeks, so all is maybe not lost to take part in the ironman I will just gave to hope it goes ok and I can get back training soon.

So if anybody knows the 2 COLT riders then please thank them for me.

• Options

Sorry to hear this Crooky, hope it heals soon. There are so many pot holes on the road. Fingers crossed it heals quick, all the best.

• Options

Bad luck Crooky, hope you heal quickly. 

• Options
    Ouch, sorry to hear that Crooky. Hope you heal quickly and are able to get back to training before too long. I'm heading out to do a loop of the course shortly, so I'll keep an eye for any bits of skin smeared across the road!
  • Options

and this is how i will be spending the next week

hobbling round on crutches

/members/images/345385/Gallery/photo_(2).JPG

• Options

That looks a pretty serious dressing Crooky.  Sorry - didn't mean to sound so blasé about your fall in my post before.

Just read your post on the other thread too re pulling out altogether.  Really hope it doesn't come to that, would be such a shame this close to the race, and all because of a damn pothole.

Try and keep your feet up as much as you can and heal quickly.  Even if you're out for two weeks, you shouldn't lose too much fitness.

• Options

Crooky, that is terrible, I know a few of the COLT lads and have put it up on FB so hopefully they will know who they could be and will pass on your thanks.

• Options

Sorry Crooky, as Iron Pudge says, take it easy these next couple of weeks and with the training you've been doing, hopefully you'll be ok for race day.

Good luck with it.

• Options

Does anyone know when entries close for this year?