Options

Ironman UK 2014

Comments

• Options
    BluePeter wrote (see)

Pudge, actually meant with regards to doing both Lanza and IMUK ie with there being 7ish weeks between. Not decided on number 2 for next yr yet and as this is local it might be a winner.

Ah sorry, got you now.  I wouldn't have wanted the gap to be any less than 7 weeks, put it that way.  On the start line for IMUK I felt pretty good, although there were moments leading up to it when I doubted I'd be properly recovered from Lanza in time.

I think the enforced week-long rest three weeks out (chest infection) proved to be a blessing in disguise. At the time, I was cursing my luck and thinking that fitness was draining away by the day, but it seemed to leave me recharged once I'd got over the illness.

if you did decide to do the two, then I reckon you'd be fine. You're fitter and faster than me, and I managed ok.

You've got me thinking now........that I wouldn't mind giving Wales a crack next year as number 2. imageimage

• Options
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Pudge - I'm more impressed with you being at work today image

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

My race report which I've 'pirate-ised'

Swim: 1:26:07
    T1: 8:53
    Bike: 8:02:02
    T2: 7:35
    Run: 5:47:33
    Total: 15:32:11

Age group: 28 (not sure how many out of)

Ok, so here goes...... Firstly I'm not happy with my time, but I'm not disappointed with it either. That said the race was brutal & I'm over the moon at my finish.

It's not secret that my training has been sparse - a combination of a hectic job, then a job change & an other half who shares zero passion in IM!

I did have a coach this year. Well more someone who wrote my training plan for me. But I fitted that round what I'm wanted to, so for the annual Lakes trip (I know I know - I'm over emotional about this holiday) I followed Jim's plan for the week & did what everyone else did. As usual it paid off.

Anyway, back to Bolton.

I went up on my own on Friday due to aforementioned uninterested OH. This worked rather well as it happens as I was free to do my own thing & got some decent sleep. Met a friend & tri-club buddy as & when suited & we had a lovely Italian meal together with her hubby & boys on the Saturday night.
    We also arranged to meet for the race start.

And the race went something like this.......

Swim: Bun fight worthy of East London boxing club rankings. Was happy with my first lap time & expected quicker on the second on account of their being slightly less people & slightly less bun fighting. But still happy enough given lack of swimming and especially OW swimming (none more than 2500k).

T1: Faff.

Bike: There were a series of serious speed humps out of T1 which some people underestimated - saw 4 people on the ground including one massive crash wallop! The first 20 miles were relentless wind & up and downs and I felt pretty awful. Soon settled in though. I've only ridden 78 miles a few times this year (and no further) but fortunately two of these rides were in the Lakes over mountain passes! Although I was going slow I felt reasonably comfortable and felt like I pushed a little where I could. Whooped at 100 miles and cheerfully thanked the supporters and marshals.
    Great TDF style support on the climbs including banana man costumes and blow-up dolls. Not sure if that explains what I saw by the road after Sheep House Lane #2.
    Stopped in a queue for a portaloo for ages - very disappointed to only have wind!

Great to see so much pirate support. SA, Mrs SA, Jordy & the rest of the group I don't know - but you were great. So grateful you were still there for my second loop & great photo of me & IronBlue. Also saw Rosey on lap 1.
    But have to say Colt Alley was great too!

T2: Thankful.

Run: I did! Well for about 10 minutes until the chuffing hill! I then put in a plan of 8 minutes run, 2 minutes walk. This last one cycle and I moved to 2 minutes walk, 2 minutes run. This worked and I kept it for a couple of hours.
    And this is where my uninterested OH did a complete personality flip! He'd come up by train Sunday after and met me after the first lap. He then walked and ran beside me (off the course but DQ me still if you like) encouraging me to run between traffic islands and street signs. I seriously don't think I would have ran so much without him. I lost him for a bit on the last lap - but somehow at the end he had a bottle of champagne. Give previous history I don't think he would have bought that before he knew I was going to finish.
    Had a nice walk/jog & chat with Woody along the canal & saw Zoe lots of cheered each other each time - but I didn't know about your ribs. Massive respect. Lots of general argh-nig to other pirates.
    Made sure I enjoyed every second of the finisher carpet - something I didn't do in Austria cause I felt I'd let myself down.

So there you ha

• Options

Great report Mitten, loving your OH that doesn't get tri, decided to come up on the train and got a bottle of champagne for you

• Options

Great report Mitten!

Pudge, I've narrowed it down to IMUK, Challenge Weymouth or IM Wales for race no.2 next yr. A Lanza Wales double would be epic I think. IMUK is ideal as could stay at home and train on the course. Will have a think...not sure about me being fitter and faster either mateimageimage

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Great reports and a massive well done. Mitten, love that your OH made the effort and was there for you

• Options

Great reports guys and congratulation again to everyone. You all did a great job!!! Additional thanks again to Seren and the supporter who posted on here and facebook to keep us all updated! image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I did Lanza and Wales last year and can confirm it was an amazing year. I don't know if I will ever be that fit again. 

• Options

This was my first full distance. Main plan was just to finish but really wanted to be south of 15 hours.

Swim was fine, though where any speed I used to have has vanished to god knows as I did it in 1.38, was hoping/banking for 20 mins less.

Out on the bike, felt ok initially, but about 20 miles in I got a right pain in my left shoulder blade that made any movement feel like I' d been stabbed. Couldn't get on the bars and looking behind me was difficult to say the least. Just plodded on but thought the cut off was going to be tight, one puncture would probably be game over.

As it happened, got to last feed station and was told you've got 15 minutes to spare which felt good. Then got to the turning to T2 and there was a group of about 12 who were all stopped. Race official said we'd missed cut off. It was 4 o'clock, briefing said 4.15 and guide said 4.30. BIt of pleading and sensible conversation and we we're let through. 

Another faff in T2 then out on run. Actually felt quite good but ran 8 mins, walked 2 mins to keep going. This worked fine until the big hill coming from the tow path and the climb out of the town. As I went on, had a few stomach cramps which slowed me down but knew I'd finish

Saw the wife and kids which gave me a boost in the town. Support along the run was great and soon had my run down the chute.. Finished in 16 1/2 hours, more than I wanted but it was the bike that really let me down.

Great day, highlight for me was Colt alley, made my day riding through those guys.

• Options

top pirating people.

errr  is there a 2015 list yet?

• Options

We'll, that was a tough day out, great support and lots of banter with the pirates. 

I was in colt kit with pnk calf guards.

seemed very calm before the start, first swim lap 43 mins, super happy, second I somehow ended up sighting off the wrong buoy so ended up getting directed back by a kayak, still 1:33 , 15 mins faster than expected. 

T1, took my time, dried off and loaded off, onto the bike.

gutted to see Andy Holgate crashed out at the side of the road in the park image

bike seemed fine to start with, goose bumps up COLT alley on run in from t1 then the grunt up sheephouse.  Onto Belmont and caught a training partner and fellow COLT Annette who was suffering with sickness ( which she caught off me the day before ) . Pushed on and started to cramp in the quads. Has always been an issue for me so backed off, started dropping the salt sticks and as much fluid as possible. Held at bay all the way round but dropped speed from what should have been a 6:30 bike to a 7:28 , not happy but Knowing I would finish. Slow t2 and out onto the run. Suffered with bad plantar issues so have only run a total of 25 miles since March so knew it was going to hurt. Run, walk strategy for first 6 miles then more walk, run. Onto the loop and was feeling it in my foot and the start of a blister in the other foot. 

Got chatting to an American, Jason and we spent the next two loops chatting, walk running until the last loop. The support from everyone and my club mates had been huge and kept me going. Got the last band and told Jason to run on, I was going to have to hobble the rest, did so and got in with 15:50 on the clock. So happy I had finished but not happy I had done it justice. 

Great meeting lots of people, pirate station was awesome and loved COLT Alley image 

• Options

Worked out did 17 bidons on the bike, now I know I sweat as a fat lad but it was bleeding warm ! 

• Options

SA - family tried to join you as they had problems getting there with the closed roads. Not knowing the area didn't help - sorry that they didn't get there. 

• Options

Didn't start the race on Sunday - racked bike and dropped bags off on the Saturday, then got a phone call from my sister Saturday afternoon. My brother-in-law was rushed into hospital - I spent from then until Monday afternoon looking after their children.  He's had several tests for testicular cancer and gets the results later on this week.

Congratulations to all pirates who raced, some fantastic times there. image

Thanks for all your words of support and encouragement in the build up to the event, I was determined not "to be shit" - I'll be off the forums for a while till everything ok with the family, but hope to still compete in Barcelona in October.

• Options
    So sorry to hear that Sue. I hope everything works out ok.
  • Options

Like Pudge says, sorry to hear that news, hope everything is going to be good in the future

• Options

Really sorry to hear that Sue! Like Pudge and SA i pass on my best wishes!

• Options
    Sorry to here that Sue, best wishes coming your way. (((())))
  • Options

Sue...thanks for taking the time out to let us know as we worried........

I really hope everything works out for your brother in law and that Barcelona happens..

Take care..

• Options

Sorry to here that Sue, hope all goes well, best wishes

• Options

So sorry for you Sue and your family at this time, wishing you all the best.

• Options

Sorry to hear that news Sue, all the best.

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Great reports folks. Sue, sorry to read about your bro-in-law. Take the time with your family & all body parts crossed for you for October.

Re my OH - he thinks I don't need to do an IM again. Little does he know........ image

• Options

Glad you weren't ill or hurt Sue - sorry to hear about your BIL tho' - luck for Barcelona!

• Options

Firstly to Sue wish you and your family all the best family is more important than any race and good luck for Barca once things settle down.

secondly thanks to all the pirates, COLT people of Bolton and friends and family of other runners. It was a privilege to race in my pirate colours and I loved giving it my all. The support from you all really helped on the bike leg I was struggling with bad cramps when I went past SA and the amazing pirate group and each time up COLT alley I got so emotional amazing feeling!!!.

On the run i struggled with cramps but the fellow pirates out on the course and support was amazing. I'm sure everyone thought I was a nutter shouting "argghhh" all the time but it really kept me going at some really dark times and hopefully along the way I helped a few others crack a smile.

Back for a 3rd time in 2015? Well I said no but I've just gone and entered after reading and catching up on this forum.

Thanks for all the support you are all amazing. 

• Options

My race report
    Well we all know the story about my knee and crash so for the last 4 weeks the only training I have done is 1.9k swim, 41 miles on the bike in 3 rides and a 3 mile run

Swim

Now I can't swim front crawl so last year I did breast stroke all the way,but at my last swim practice my knee started hurting so I tried f/c saving my legs and I found I could sort of manage it( well not for long,but it's a start ).
    So once in the water I said to my self I would start doing f/c and see how far I could get and for me I did quite well until I had to go back to b/s to get my breath back. So I carried on switching from f/c to b/s all the first lap. I must have found the only bit of quiet water because all the way round I never had any problems with any other swimmers getting close to me
    I got out of the first lap looked at my watch and I couldn't believe it said 44:37 way faster than I thought it would be.
    I even ran the exit and onto the 2nd lap, same again I thought, start doing f/c but didn't get as far so it was back to doing breast stroke for most of this lap,I soon got to the turn around point and onto the final stretch home which just seem to go on forever but at the exit looked at my garmin and it said 1:35:06 which amazed me and really put me in a good mood, so wetsuit down to my waist showing my pirate top and got a shout out from Paul on the mic and great shouts from the crowd. I even saw the wifey and gave her a kiss before running into T1.
    Last year it took nearly 10 mins so I wanted to get in and out so wetsuit off helmet on bandage on my knee, socks and bike shoes on then oops forgot to put cycling shorts on ( I wasn't doing 112miles in just tri shorts ) so managed to get shorts on over my shoes and off I went to the bike.

• Options

Bike

Got the bike and run to the mount line with great cheers for the pirate,then I got one foot in the pedal tried to get my left one in but couldn't, I kept pedalling with one foot thought I had got my other one in so stood up to set off and get going but my left foot wasn't in, I slipped off the pedal lost control and nearly ended up in the barriers on the left hand side whacked my shin with the pedal and don't know how I managed to stay upright but I did. I had a min trying to get sorted then set off to a great cheer and onto 112 miles
    Now my plan was to take it easy and hope my knee held out but I never do things I am supposed to, so I set off like an idiot passing loads of people on the way to bolton,I saw woody early on in the ride gave him a shout and on I went, soon I was into addlington and colt alley and as soon as they saw the pirate top they went mad shouting pirate, so put the effort in out of the saddle and up the hill, next sheep house now being local I have done this loads of times but it never seems to get easier so into smallest gear and just get on with it and it was soon over, got to the top to see the various mankeenis blow up dolls and banana man great effort lads. Then down the hill towards the black dog pub now this is where I had my accident so I took it super slow and made sure I stayed on this time.
    Turn at the pub and again great support and cheers for the pirate,on the way to the m65 roundabout I spoke to uncharted after a quick chat I pushed on everything still feeling ok.
    I was soon on the new section of the course with its up and downs and on one of the ups saw redstripe having breakfast on the go,from then on the route is ok till you get to hunters hill, I have done this twice before so knew what was coming,out of the saddle and just try and get up which I managed ok once that section done it wasn't too bad. Now I knew SA would be on jolly tar lane with family and seeing as I have never met him didn't know what to expect, but as soon as he saw me coming a great big shout of pirate with arms up aloft and I think it's jordy as well in pirate gear going mad,I was soon close and a great big high 5 as I went past "amazing"
    I was soon back at colt alley and this time more people were out supporting it got even louder the shouts, sheep house came and went but at about 70/80 miles I started to feel my knee hurting not good I thought but keep going, I really felt it going up any sort of hill and I actually though I would not make it round. So at next feed station I stopped for toilet took a tablet had a full bottle of energy drink powerbar and some bananas and five mins rest before setting off again, it must have worked because soon after my knee didn't feel as bad but I was still worried about hunters thinking I will be walking up this so all I could do was count down the miles and it seemed to work I was up hunters and on the way to SA again, another big shout and high five home stretch now final time up colt alley out of the saddle put a sprint on it's all I could to for the support I received soon past them and I was back at the reebok for T2
    Bike time 6:55:11

• Options

Run

Now I had pain killers with me in my bike box so the plan was to take them with me in case I needed them on the run but like the idiot I am completely forgot them when I handed my bike in and only remembered them at the first station at beehive pub and that was too late so on I went. My plan was to run at 10 min miles but that went out the window before I got to the first turn around my knee was aching so I think it was more walk than run.
    I then changed my plan to walk/run the best I could which seemed to be working ok I got along the canal path with no probs then walked up the hill towards chorley new road.
    Got to the feed station and got 2 waters, 1 down my back and the other over my head and got cola and bananas and headed into town,got to the lion of Vienna pub and the crowd were amazing shouting go pirate with loads of aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhh's which really keeps you going,then the downhill section just before town and more support from pirates then the loop in town was quality with the amount of people shouting at me, pirate flag spotted just before the turn around and loads of shouts from colt supporters then off to get my first band.
    I walked up the hill out of town ( that was always my plan ) and sent off on a slow jog when I reached the top,got my first band only 2 to go then carried on aaaaarrrrrgggging all the way back to the feed station with a run/walk plan,more water down my back and over head and something new to try red bull which went down fine and must have worked cause it got me going again and I was soon at the pub again and then everybody was aaaarrrgggging me which really kept me going. Lap done in town and on the the hill out of town ironblue stopped to talk and he had some pain killers which he let me have ( cheers mate ) he soon left me though as he pressed on, I got my second band and thought nearly there just keep going with the run/walk which was working for me.
    Loads of pirates seen on the run and each one given a thumbs up when we passed each other,the last lap went ok bit slower than the first 2 and I wanted to make the most of the support which was still amazing then I was in town heading past all the crowds and onto the red carpet with the kayeman giving it "crooky you are an IRONMAN" and my time 13:52:37 over 30 mins quicker than last year.
    Many thanks to all the pirates both supporting and those doing it sorry if I forgot to mention you but everybody was amazing

• Options

Crooky, top report and great performance. Unbelievable considering your little mishap! Well done.