Options

Boston marathon

Comments

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I've been researching over on the USA Runnersworld.com site and there is heaps of useful information over on the forums there. I don't want to kill this thread but if you like to be prepared and have questions you are too shy to ask then pop over the pond and read away. There's even a thread on the best burger joint for after the marathon! 

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I was going to be all sanctimonious and comment on who on earth fancies a burger after doing a marathon until I realised that after Frankfurt, there were 3 forumites who ate at McDonalds before hitting the bar! image

• Options

After a marathon is the only time I fancy a burger!  But then part way round I find that I am fantasising about coca-cola, ice lollies, chips.....all the bad stuff!

I think I'm going to take plenty of old, warm clothes for the start and ditch them, food for the bus and a bit of water.  Did anyone see the info on the post-race party?  Looks like a laugh!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

SPD-I have to eat a club sandwich with fries washed down with a coke swiftly followed by a beer. It's the thought of that that keeps me going for over three hours Or is it for the 15 weeks of training plus the race ? Have you got a link to the party? Didn't see it . I'm off to Oxfam to get kitted out for the journey to the start. 

• Options
    KessmanKessman ✭✭✭

Race numbers, wave and corral positions have been loaded onto The Boston web site.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kessman- yes this appears to be how it works-

The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m.) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m.) is 3:12:52.

The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (11:00 a.m.) is 3:33:34.

All remaining qualifiers are in Wave 3.

Wave 4 will start at (11:25 a.m.)

I'm in Wave 1 corral8. Think there are 9 corrals in each wave . Exciting stuff 

• Options

2Old - yes, saw the party details.  Looks like fun, if I can still walk by then.  A club sandwich and fries....mmmmm, might have to have that this year!

I'm in wave 2, corral 9 - happy with that as it gives me time for brekkie, bag check and then get the bus without getting up at stupid o'clock.  Staying right near the common, so happy days.

Weather looks interesting over the next few weeks and going by New York today, a little different to here!  However, every time I run a marathon there's a mini heat wave!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Speedy- it's too early to think about the weather- not that will stop me looking daily from now on-when I did it in 2009 it was perfect  ;cool all the way though a bit of a wind picked up towards the end. As long as it's not like Chicago in 2007 when temperatures exceeded 90f with high humidity with the race being stopped after 4 hours. 

• Options

Same here, I can't resist looking!  Running a 22 next weekend and then its taper time! Got a bit of a niggle in my right calf (decided to make its presence felt halfway through this week's long run!), so off to the physio on Tues for a bit of treatment.

How's everyone else feeling?  

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Speedy- legs feel battered ,Achilles screaming,glutes ache,knees tingling ,quads smashed but otherwise fine. No LR last week as I did a HM.Last 20/22 on Friday then like you it's taper. Watch that calf. Have you had an email with the runners programme and entry card? I'm still waiting for it. 

• Options

I think the runners' programme and entry card are actual hard copies sent out by post, rather than email (something else to remember to pack). I haven't had mine yet either.

• Options

That's right. You get a "runner's passport" thing in a plastic envelope that you hang round your neck.

• Options
    KessmanKessman ✭✭✭

Final instructions are posted and sent out in early April according to Boston web site.

Getting a bit excited now has we are on count down,I've got a couple of races then a 2 week taper.

I did have a look at a couple of videos about the Boston course,certainly brakes on in the early miles.  

• Options

The Boston Marathon Facebook page has that International Runners 'passports, were posted on 24/3.

• Options

Got my runners passport this morning.  It all feels a bit real now!  

Did some speed work this morning, could feel my calf but it didn't cause any problems.  Got my last 22 miler on Saturday, and a good leg massage on Tuesday.  Actually looking forward to tapering, bit bored of the big runs now!  My taper will consist of sunshine, lying on a beach, running by the sea, rest and carbo-loading - if I'm not chilled out by race day, something will have gone seriously wrong!

2Old - sounds like you're in tip top shape and a PB is on the cards!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Got my runners passport today ...exciting stuff

Speedy - I'd love a pb- great way to taper 

• Options
    KessmanKessman ✭✭✭

Passport arrived today, only 25 days to go.

SFB, I like the idea of a taper including sunshine and lying on the beach image

I hope your calf during your last long run, shame to ruin everything now!!! 

• Options

Taper time starts now!  A warm and windy (weather, not me) 22 miler this morning - calf was good, aware of it at the start but fine by the finish.  Funnily, I felt fresher at 20 miles than I did at 9!  Was a bit bored, I don't enjoy plodding for that long at all.

The long runs are done, so I'm going to try to keep sharp over the next few weeks and enjoy the pressure being off.....until race day!

I hope everyone ran well and safely this weekend and we can all embrace the taper madness!  When are we all heading to Boston?  I'm there from the 18th, excited about the expo, a bit of shopping, clam chowder and soaking up the atmosphere.  

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Strangely I felt the same Speedy. Tedious first 10 miles but then by the time I got to 19 I felt like I could run and run and run. Glad to bring the taper on now though. Confidence building new pb at the park run yesterday of 18:20. Only 1 second off my all time pb.

• Options

Last 22 miler done with no major disasters!  Can't wait for the big day now.

• Options

How did u all get on then?

I had a fantastic time.  Loved the weather, loved Legal Seafoods, loved the people (esp the girl with the stall of sunscreen before the start line), loved the temporary deafness from the Wellesley girls, loved Team Hoyt, loved Meb, & loving my new PB.

In a word: AWESOME!

Anyone going to Berlin in September?

• Options

Me too +1 for awesome - bit of a shock temperature wise when we arrived (Fri pm) but it warmed up and was perfect on race day.

Great organisation at the bus departure area - just 10 mins in line and onto warm bus, unlike 2013 where we waited for 45 mins to board.....of course, the flip side is that we were at the holding (start) area at 8:00am for 10:25 am start. Oh well, time for a snooze....

Snooze over, time to hit the start and we're off.......fell into a good rythmn and remembered to hold back through halfway (1:35:xx v 1:36:xx target) and into the heart of the race. This time I counted the hills properly and waited for HH to come to me and then it was a charge for the line.....

Best bit was drafting behind a big Brazilian as we closed in on the CITGO sign - we were doing 6:45 min/m and the crowd were going nuts. Quick right & left and down to the finish - 1:37:xx for 2nd half including hills and a comfort break at 16 miles.

Mission accomplished: 3:12:57 16th in division (60-64) and 4780 overall from a 12061 start with an 8 min PB.

Briliant day for the city, the spectators, a home winner and a gutsy new American female record. The place was jumping afterwards......

Very tempted by Berlin - checking it out tomorrow....

• Options

I had a great time too, for the second time. Agreed the bus loading was much better organized than last year. Just about managed to keep warm at the start due to the medical tent handing out foil blankets to first comers.

I ran totally on heart rate and knocked 6 mins off my pb down to 3:23 now. Even got a half pb! Much better than the 3:45 last year.

Net Time 3:23:56
    Overall 7474/31931
    In Gender 6174/17575 (Male)
    In Division 192/1778 (M55-59 Age Group)

For Sept I have Oslo booked, but first there is Copenhagen coming up in three weeks.

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Loved it. 2:58:43 for me. A little too hot for my liking but other than that it was just awesome.

More details here.

http://www.new-marske-harriers.co.uk/index.php/road-running/road-reports/47-road-running/reports/796-boston-marathon-21-04-14

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Well done at Boston all

My performance was marred by injury. Did the first 10k in 43 mins and at about 8 miles a knot suddenly developed in my left calf.It was so painful I could hardly walk but I eventually hobbled to the next Medic tent. After some massage and icing in there for the next 20 mins, I had a choice of quitting or limping along for the remaining 18 miles.Did the latter and finished in 3.44 . I think there was a reasonable time in there somewhere allowing for about 25mins in the tent and limping. Boston was awesome regardless  of that .