Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

8m GA with 10x 100m Strides this morning. The strides certainly break up the monotony of running steady on the treadmill. I did a two mile warm-up, then threw in strides every 0.5m during the next five miles before a steady finish.

So that's the last run of the year in the bag. In 2013 I have run 1538 miles in total, of which 1078 were outdoors and 460 were on the treadmill. This is my highest annual mileage in spite of the seven week enforced layoff. It also reverses my previous tendency to do most of my training on the treadmill.

It has been a crap year, but my running has at least bucked the trend and I've set PB's at 5k, 10k, Half Marathon and Marathon. Thanks to P&D I knocked 29 minutes off my previous marathon PB - hence I'm back for more!

Hope everyone has a great New Year. I know it's just a number, but believe me, nobody will be happier to see the back of 2013.

• Options

Did 17m on Sunday in 2hr 52 which i was quite pleased with....until yesterday morning!

My calves and ankles are very very tight and sore. I've been getting some ibuprofen on them to try and ease it off and will need to do a lot of stretching over the next few days. Luckily work / family stuff meant no running until Thursday anyway.

I am hoping it's just a case of overdoing things slightly and scaling back Sunday's long run will help.

• Options

My running is done for the year...I'm off for a quick recovery blast on the bike soon.  Yesterday I headed out for 16k with 8 at LT pace.  3k into the 8k LT I was feeling great so decided to go for a burn as I have a feeling I need to increase my training paces slightly.  The last 5k saw a 64 second 5k PB for me, so a stonking end to the year.  It moves my VDOT up 2 notches and sets my MP at the 4 hour mark, so I am exactly where I want to be.  Just need to stay uninjured now....eeek!

Have a good night, folks, whatever you get up to.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and happy new year to you all in advance! image

I am still out of action with this stupid groin strain/gammy leg. image I haven’t run properly since 4th November and I’ve rested it completely for the past 17 days and still no improvement at all. I’ve had a couple of physio sessions and she can’t pin point the problem (other than I have mild scoliosis of the spine which throws my legs and hips out – but I’ve had that forever and have survived this far). I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve become hyper-sensitive to the ‘feelings’ in my leg and imagining all sorts of pains that aren’t there. So....bearing this in mind I’m getting nowhere fast with the resting my leg lark, I decided to throw caution to the wind and have a little jog on it last night. I managed about 5 miles and you know, it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t feel fantastic (and I was puffed) but I wasn’t in agony. So I’m wondering whether to just carry on (gently) and see if it just runs itself off. (When I’ve had other mystery aliments in the past, I’ve tended to ignore them and they just go of their own accord). Now I can hear you all tut tutting in disapproval, but the resting, stretching, anti inflammatory route has got me nowhere, so what’s the worst that can happen – I go back to square one after never really moving off square one. I’m willing to try anything to get me back to anything like the shape I need to complete my spring marathons. My sub 3.30 target has gone now as I’m too far behind schedule, but I just want to be able to run.

I've just had a quick skim read of the last few pages. Lots of new names - hello all -  and some old ones - welcome back Tenn, Menn & Chick (hope I've not missed anyone). I’m doing Boston too (gammy leg permitting)...think I’ve mentioned that previously on sub 3.30 thread.

• Options

Hi Shazmo. Sorry to see you're still having problems. No disapproval from me. I've also found that sometimes running (recovery pace - not fast) seems to speed up recovery. It's a real balancing act though, and deciding when it is good to restart is more luck than science. Hope you make it to Boston.

• Options
    Ramjet wrote (see)

That is a long run to go without fluids - that might explain a bit of the slow down at the end.

You could be right, though it was also up a long incline (two miles average 2% incline) - so I was being a bit hard on myself I suppose.

During winter training outdoors, I often don't feel the need for a drink and forget I'm carrying it. Although I have to admit, my pee was luminous when I got back home after this run image. There's conflicting advice regarding fluid intake during training, though I've seen several articles that suggest that it's better to train the body to go longer without fluids. At least it means I don't need to carry too much on training runs.

• Options
    Cleanshoes: you should be fine by Thursday.

tenjiso: i havent done any strides yet and really need to start. just not dared do it.

Had my 9 mile LT run today with 5 at HMP. Now my HMP is meant to be 6.52. I'm nowhere near ready to run 6.52 pace so went as hard as I could. Did the 5 miles at 7.33 which is 7 seconds per mile slower than MP target. Guess it shows how much more I have to do. Still, there are 3 months to go yet.

I hope everyone has a great night tonight. For me it's the last night of alcohol and bad food before getting strict in 2014. Enjoy yourselves.
  • Options

I've done the same run as Tenjiso today, with pretty much the same structure. It's damp and a bit breezy out, but missed any rain.  I listened to the Marathon Talk podcast with Pete Pfitzinger during the run, got a little disheartened when it was stated that the book/plan was not for first timers, but cheered up when he talked about it being for people with commitment, which I definitely have!

I nearly didn't make it after a bizarre sofa accident yesterday, which has pulled/cramped/done something to a muscle at the top of my arse. All I did was roll off the sofa!  Took it gently first, but I can't feel it when running, just when sitting down or walking up stairs. So will carry on with it.

Today's run brings my 2013 running total to 662 miles, a massive 4000% increase on the 16 I managed in 2012 image

I'm starting 2014 with a plan adjustment, as I'm going to do the Richmond Park run tomorrow, which involves a 3m run there and back too (It's too cold to walk!)

• Options

That is bollocks about the first timers Rachel - I used it for my first marathon and so did Tinyrunner85, and that went well... as long as you started the plan from a decent base and have read and understood the book (all of which applies to you) I don't think it matters how many or how few marathons you've done.

Do you know all the good arse stretches? Let me know if not and I will try and find some illustrations.

Good luck with returning to running Shazmo - be careful though!

• Options

lit, I think it's the very top of the gluteus medeus - the main pain point is about 3in  from spine and about 2in below top of pelvic bone.   I've looked up stretches for that - but would love to know any favourites?

• Options
    Try piroformus stretch . Cross one leg over the other can be done standing and lean forward sticking bum out.
  • Options

Okay, well everyone knows this one:

http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series8/805/fit_tb/fit009_3_lr7/fit009_3_lr7_res/fit009_3_lr7_6_3.jpg

and if you straighten the leg you are holding onto and flex the foot you can also get a nice hamstring stretch. But after that the one I find gets deeper into the middle of the arsecheek is this (cross one knee over the other, reach forward and grab ankles, pull them back and apart):

http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2013/08/01/921/n/1922729/3f7f6d6f23af7f0e_glute_stretch_supine_cow.preview.jpg

• Options
    That's the one but I always find you get more force into it standing up! Second picture might tie me in knots. I'll give it a go and see what happens
  • Options

I love that second stretch - it feels much deeper than the first one! You can also get someone to push your ankles towards you if you want to be really hardcore. Or do similar by putting your knee (bent sideways) on a table and leaning forward over it.

• Options

Never done the double one - will try that, I use the piraformus stretch I use a lot,

But the one that seems to touch it most is pulling the knee across...the gluteal side stretch   http://www.docpods.com/Gluteal-Buttock--Side-Stretch

Will be mixing them up over the day!

• Options

2013 nearly finished and  2,383miles run. No races this year, as I was injured for both the ones I wanted to run.

I hope to survive P&D schedules for Spring and Autumn 2014!

• Options
    Shaz: so sorry to hear you are out of action. Was wondering what you were up to since you disappeared from the sub 3:30 thread. I won't be tut tutting at all since ignoring most ailments is what I do too. Having a serious back injury taught me a lot about real pain anyway ... so those foot and hip niggles that bother me on occasion usually go away if I ignore them long enoughimage

Rachel: wot lit said. I wish I'd known P&D when I decided I was doing a marathon!! Instead I made up an 8 week schedule myself. Ouch. But I'd been traveling around NZ before and kinda missed the start of my marathon campaign completely ...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Shazmo- as you say you don't really have anything to lose by going down that route. I am seeing physio  Friday and if he doesn't have anything definitive to stay I am going to try the running through approach from next week. 

• Options

Yay!  Finally my first schedule run arrived today!  13k with 6k @LT is a tough opener but got it done and feel like I am playing along too now!

• Options

OOO brilliant! I just settled down sitting on a tennis ball to see what is going on here and hey presto.. a bunch of bum remedies.

• Options

marrows - hah! bet yours wasn't done in a sofa accident! image

Thanks for all the exercises...and the reassurances that doing P&D is not a silly decision for the first time. Now off to stretch mybum again ..it's SORE!

• Options

OK.. the second stretch there did nothing for me the first time.  I was disappointed since you really talked it up.  Then I tried again with knees pulled further across body and discovered it is indeed the biz.  Thank you.

10 miles with strides today and lots of fun splashing through puddles.  Showering afterwards took two attempts since the first time round, I forgot to wash the mud off my legs.

Andrews148 - better luck next year - at least you're fit!

• Options

Can't help wondering what that cord is attached to in the first photo image  Perhaps it's to take her mind off the pain of the stretch.

Great mileage Andrews148!! When you eventually get to race, the distance will be a doddle for you!

Rachel - I believe household furniture is probably the number one cause of injuries to runners. Like the dressing table that jumped out and fractured my toe!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Happy new year all. Hope all injuries get sorted soon. 

• Options

Hello all, been reading but not posting much lately.... I must try harder!

Nice lot of running being done.

Pleased to report that the wheels haven't fallen off (yet), I had to shorten a couple of runs the week before last after having a really tight calf and being fearful of another stress fracture. However I am back to full training and successfully ran my 9 miles with 5@LT pace this morning. I am finding the LT paced runs really tough at the moment, but am guessing that its because I haven't done any speed work since before my injury in the Summer.

Re: Sore/tight glutes - spiky ball is a definate must, find myself sitting on them very frequently, often whilst saying ouch (or words to that effect!).

Happy New Year, and fingers crossed we are all at the start lines for our chosen marathons injury free/ignored image

• Options

I've just ordered a Rumble Roller Beastie ball thingy for those hard-to-reach trigger points, glutes included. I'll let you know how well it works.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Those rumble rollers look pretty brutal!!!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm alive! Just. Off for a 5mi jog. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Happy New Year!

I've started the year the way I intend to continue, of course, with a run. Just a five mile recovery run today, but it is a great boost.

• Options
    DT19 wrote (see)

Those rumble rollers look pretty brutal!!!

I already have the Rumble Roller extra firm. It is torture, but it does a good job on calves, IT bands, butt and hamstrings.