Options

Sub 3:00 - Paul Davey - Please Vote For Me - Asics26.2

13»

Comments

• Options

Fetchie,  a frequenter of running site Fetcheveryone, a great site for recording training/racing and we have a friendly rivalry with their for users.

• Options

Ahhhhh right. Learnt something new and am about to go there and look.

GJE

• Options

welshgje, I run with an ipod when training sometimes, I'm learning French so have some audio CDS on my it, ha! Definitely get a Garmin, I have the Forerunner 405cx and its very useful for monitoring pace, distance etc...and you can start training by heart rate once you've got used to it

flatfooted - yes, yes I am.

well, voting is over......and breathe....thank you to everyone that has voted, your support is very much appreciated. I've enjoyed getting to know people on the forums and I'm certain it will continue whether I am successful or not.

• Options

Well, what a waste of time this was as RW clearly didn't take into consideration the efforts made by contestants to engage with the RW community, it was based purely on the number of votes at the end. Thanks to everyone that voted for me from this thread or from the forums in general, it was nice to have the vote from other people in my category, who were present at boot camp. It's also disappointing as a number of people showed an interest in following my thread, given that I needed to knock off a big chunk from my PB to run sub 3, and the winner didn't even bother to make a thread until a few days ago and put very little effort it. I also interacted with other competitors on twitter, whereas the winner just asked for RT’s.

The voting itself is highly suspicious, I led for the majority of the week and was 400 or so ahead on Monday morning, but within a couple of hours I was a couple of hundred behind! That’s not at all suspicious, no? Then we have the final hour or so, I was comfortably ahead until a few minutes to go when Roger suddenly shot ahead. I'm not the only one who noticed this. RW said votes would be counted and verified before announcing the winners, yet I received a phone call within an hour of the deadline, was it done that quickly?!

I imagine Roger's club, Serpentine, the largest in the country, have a number of coaches, physios and a wealth of knowledge and support at their disposal. This opportunity is clearly wasted on someone who only needs to shave off around 1min 30 from their PB. As others have mentioned and some of which the winner in my category said himself, better pacing, taking the racing line, improved diet and a proper taper would get you a minute and a half with no additional coaching from RW experts.

Bitter? Of course I am. I’m gutted to have missed out on this opportunity, especially considering the mammoth effort made by my family, friends and colleagues around the country during the past week, but even more so to someone who I don’t think really needs it.

Congratulations to the other victors, I look forward to sharing your journey to Paris and commiserations to the other losers. Will I be following the sub 3 thread? No.

• Options

Don't worry, you're probably better off without it - the Asics winners don't have a particularly good record of meeting targets over the years, although their recent policy of giving people soft targets (1 min 30 ffs!) means they've got better.  You'll pick up as much hanging around the forums and asking the right questions than you would from the RW folk anyway.  As they say over on the sub 3 thread (the proper one, not the asics one): INFRS.

• Options

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said Paul and was gutted when I saw who got through. WRONG decision in my opinion.  When you get your sub 3 marathon this year, let us all know.

• Options

Head up Paul, hopefully you'll be sticking around on the forums on your way to a sub3, maybe even stick your name in the hat for the "Forum 6", with the chance to get some mentoring from one of the experienced bods on here...

And if you really want cheering up, pop in to the "Team GB" thread, as that's guaranteed to make you laugh (although you may need a few days if you want to trawl through it from the beginning!).

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Paul, I'll agree with you there. If you have seen a few of my posts on other threads you will see I was saying something similar even before the results were released. 

If you stick around you will get loads of help to get that sub3. Look forward to seeing how you get on. Don't be a stranger. 

• Options

gutted for you as well Paul......think about applying for the forum 6 as i think you would make a great candidate.( even if you are a fetchieimage)

• Options

Really disappointed that you didn't triumph, especially after you put such effort into your campaign and got across your wit and humility on here (not the easiest thing to do via forum!).

The votes sure did look rather suspicious. Not sure how, when you were leading by such a big margin you could be overtaken within a short space of time. Also towards the end when your rival's votes were behind but he still managed to pip you to the post... hmmmm.

Your rival doesn't appear to have passed any commiserations in his victory post... perhaps he feels rather guilty... controversial perhaps image

It would have been very interesting for me and others to follow your training from 3.34 to sub 3. I hope you will be planning for a spring marathon and will go it alone to show it can be done! Anyway, who wants to go to Paris when you could go to Manchester image

• Options

Paul, gutted for you.....one group where most definitely the wrong decision was made.

Your thread was very enjoyable.....and cant wait to hear about how you smash your PB and sub 3 somewhere else. image

• Options

Hard luck Paul but as the others said apply for the forum 6 they have had a lot of success over the last few years.

• Options

Hard luck Paul , but dont be a stranger as said and you will hopefully get your sub 3 image

• Options

Thank you for your kind words everyone, they helped soothe the burning feelings of anger and disappointment.

It has been nice to get back out running the past week instead of being clued to my phone and computer. Although everyone I've seen has said "how the hell did you lose, you were way ahead!"

Asics sent me some new trainers, which is good of them but I can't help but feel their gesture is tinged with guilt having been cheated out of the main prize. I guess a 35min PB might have been a little risky for them and RW, with recent failings in this competition and a required 1:30ish is surely a banker, hey that rhymes with something else...

I will most certainly be sticking around and will consider putting my name forward for the forum 6 once the thread becomes active.

Oh and I never did receive a commiseratory (is that even a word?) message from the humble victory, see his tweet “WINNER!!!!!!!!” so maybe you’re right Vici...sigh

• Options

your last post made me chuckle Paul. It would have been entertaining following your thread if you had got through, but hey ho! Just about to start my training plan for sub 3 in London. Have 2 plans but can't decide which is best. Should I do medium long fast on Saturday and long slow on Sunday as in plan 1 or should I do medium long wednesday and long slow Sunday plan 2? How many 20s should I do. One says2, the other says 5....... oh the dilemmas ! What plan have you been advised to do Paul?

• Options

haha, thanks image

I'm not sure about a plan yet, I had a brief look at the Asics plans but they seem a bit daft. I entered my half marathon PB and my predicted marathon time on April 6th, with 2 'mild' runs per week is 2:56, with 4 runs at 'hard' pace my estimated time is 2:53, what the?!

The 2:53 plan had only 1 run over 20 miles and was 23 miles at around 6:33 pace, ha, good one.

I'm having a clandestine meeting with my Facebook contact on Monday, I've been told to bring my training diary, work shift pattern and wear something flowery, although I'm not sure what the last request has to do with running. We shall see.

I know I'd struggle with long slow Sunday after hard Saturday, but is it more beneficial to get 'time on your feet' on tired legs? I would definitely do more than 2 runs over 20 miles, 5 sounds much better, but do they say go above 20?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Asics plans are a bit daft. For me to go from 2.58 to 2.55 it had me doing less runs than this year and a lot less 20 milers.

Personally I thought I had got by on the minimum amount of milage for a sub 3.

Am very interested to see what your new plan looks like.
  • Options
    If you are only needing a 1 minute pb the asics plan might work for everything else theres mastercard lol
  • Options

I will share it once I get it....probablyimage

• Options

Sorry to hear the news pd33. Good luck with your training plans for sub-3.  If you are ever around Windsor and need to train with someone, give me a shout. I run a group that is mainly currently training for Reading 1/2, Mon-Thurs-Sun.

• Options

thanks DO262, I live, work and train in Brum but if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll give you a shout! I'm tempted by Reading Half myself as I loved it in 2012.