Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Comments

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Latest blog post: http://indigo-cube.co.uk/?p=4956

Content:

Over the past week I’ve been thinking how nuts this whole training regime is – in a good way.

Last October I was training for the Cardiff Half Marathon – and at the time thought I was nuts for doing it. It was a challenge and I wondered if I would finish it. I cried when I crossed the finish line. It was an achievement that I am extremely proud of.

Now as I train for the Paris Marathon I’ve been running half marathon distances (and more) every Sunday for the past 5/6 weeks. I’ve also taken part in two further organised half marathons. Nuts.

In two weeks (April 6) I will take part in the Paris Marathon. My first Marathon. Once again I know that the tears will flow when I cross that finish line.

It’s all a bit nuts!

• Options

Nearly there Gareth, very well done. 

Hope the Physio session went well.

i ran 17 miles on Saturday 4/1. I felt the shorter ratios may work well for the Marathon especially as my training hasn't been as good as yours! It's given me a boost and feeling positive that if all comes together I can complete in a Marathon! At the end of the 17 miles I felt I could have continued but I remembered Sams advice to you re distance and also time on legs. My knee was sore Saturday afternoon but appears to have calmed down now. 

Sam - many congratulations to your husband on his 4th place. 

• Options
    hunnymonster wrote (see)

Hi Welshgje and everyone on this great forum. Was so happy to find this thread as I am also trying to run my first marathon in my new home town of Zurich, also on April 6th. Have managed to keep more or less on track with training, stayed pretty much injury free thanks to a lot of strength training.

Now that I am so close I am getting a bit obsessed about what to eat before and during. I have used clif blocks and bars on my long runs (max 32km) as gels make me feel ill, but Ruth Mckean's  advice caught my eye and I wanted to check I have got it right: do I need to take 3 blocks instead of just 1 gel?  Is there a way to roughly calculate how many I should have in the whole race?  At the moment I was planning one block per 30 mins or so, hoping to finish in about 4.30 - 4.45. I like the clif bars but find them tricky to eat on the move so will only carry in case I get desperate for a boost.

Hope its ok to ask this direct question and that I'm not messing with some thread etiquette - apologies if this is not the right place.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.....Each shot bloc has 8g of carbs so three equals 24g carbs  which is what 1 gel typically contains (but check this out on package), So aim for at least 6 shot blocs per hour. You may find you need to increase you carbs in the 3rd and 4th hour but this is a individual leaning curve (you may have a further 3 so nine per hour on last couple of hours but I would aim for 50g per hour and see how you go if this is your first).The very best of luck!!

• Options

Gareth - I agree you are all nuts!!! But hey what is life without some nutters!

You are all doing great!

• Options

Gareth- think through your nutritional needs  a couple of days before you leave next week? If you are organised it will be  much less stressful packing etc. You want to be organised a couple of days before you go so it feels you can relax before you go - have a list of things you need to pick up form the shops the day before but other than that,  be packed and ready! I hope you are having a good week?

• Options

I agree with Ruth that making a list is a great idea to reduce the stress of packing.

I also like to make a list, usually just a mental note of all the things that i am going to indulge in after the race. I,ve done the Paris Half a few times and you can get some really amazing foods there.I dare say the wine might be OK too. 

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Ruth: Thanks for the pointers and for the support. I will be thinking about it all from Monday.

LittleMissActive: Yes - the physio went really well. I won't see Ben now until after the marathon. That will be one painful massage.

BTGS: I worry about my time after the marathon. 

• Options

Hey Gareth - well, we're nearly there!

Yep, get writing that packing list so you don't forget anything essential - be it food/drink, clothing, adaptor plug, er camera! 

Also, don't be tempted to swap your easy swim/cycle for circuits this week - nothing too punishing to maximise recovery/repair and fuel storing...

I have a half marathon tomorrow to 'look forward' to. Then Mother's Day lunch with the family for refueling.

Hope everyone's taper isn't too jitteryimage

• Options

Welshgje. You are going to feel amazing after your marathon.The satisfaction that you get that knowing that you have achieved your goal will stay with you for ages.Sure you will feel knackered but get something to eat within the 1st hour after you finish and then you can sit back and enjoy the feeling of being a marathoner. 

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Sam: Hiya Sam - just emailed you.

BTGS: My favourite food after any long run is a big mac. Not sure why.

Ran my final LSR today before next week. 8 miles at an easy pace - although I went out at a steady pace with an average of 9:40/mile. I have to keep track of my pace next week. I don't want to mess it all up on the day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470495782#

Gareth

• Options

HI All

Just a reminder of what Gareth plans to do starting Thursday!

I want you to stick to the below plan for 3 full days before race so Thursday, Friday & Saturday or as near to this as possible but certainly no less food than this. You should be having a gel every 30minutes but on hours 3 & 4, if need,have one every 20minutes so carry enough! There will be powerade at 22km so feel free to have a mouth wash of this IF feel like it.

• 60g porridge with milk &  banana, 2 x toast with ham/honey & large glass of orange juice (250ml)
    •  Mid-morning- 2 slices of  malt loaf & yoghurt
    • Lunch: Beans on toast with  glass of fruit juice or smoothie & large banana & yoghurt 
    • Mid-afternoon – 2 crumpets with  jam or  6" baguette with lots of jam  & large glass of milk
    • Dinner: 100g dried weight pasta  with tomato sauce and a dessert of rice pudding low fat custard or sorbet.
    • Before bed: 60-80-g bowl of cereal with milk

Try and drink 1 litre of a full sugar cordial over the day.  

Morning of run:

• Before: Porridge, toast &  banana and fluid as feel you need.
    • Gel every 30minute on run.

Carry  water  and sip as you feel you need during run. If hot in the day you will need to drink more so start early with fluid so little and often.

• Options

The big mac might be appealing due to the salt and savoury taste!  a totally different taste to sugar - due to taste fatigue of sugar the savoury foods are usually very welcomed!

• Options

Many thanks to Ruth for the super-helpful feedback re nutrition. I had seriously underestimated what I was going to need.

Best of luck to Gareth especially, and anyone else making their marathon debut this weekend.

• Options

Just in case I don't get chance before you leave very good luck in Paris Gareth. Fingers crossed the race goes to plan. I look forward too hearing all about it. 

• Options

Good luck this weekend Gareth. Will look forward to your tales about the day.

Have fun.

Chris

• Options

Welshgje when are you off to Paris and are the Welsh Tv people following you?

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Good luck this weekend Gareth!

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the luck. Forgot to check in last night but I'm here and currently packing for the trip.

BTGS: I leave tomorrow for London. A night at the Ibis in St Pancras and then 8:30 roll call for the Eurostar over to Paris. OMG!!!! So excited about it all.

I'm going to take my laptop - so hopefully if there is wireless in the hotel I will be updating my blog, twitter, facebook and this forum.

Thanks everyone. See you on the other side if not before.

• Options

Gareth, enjoy it all! You will have a great time!

• Options
    Good Luck Gareth, have an amazing time image
  • Options

Have a great race and enjoy the experience

• Options

Gareth time to go, you more than anyone has had a real journey. Go and enjoy the day follow Sam's instructions and you'll do fab. Can't wait to see how you get on. Enjoy the whole weekend. 

• Options

Ditto all that the wonderful Sarah has just said! Enjoy it all!

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭
    Morning from Paris

Two mile run this morning then photos with our kit before some free time/rest.

Amazing time so far. The Marathon Expo was good. Picked up my race number and a new running top. Could have spend a fortune on clothing - despite having all this Asics gear.

As it's my first marathon I bought an Asics Paris Marathon running top.

Good food and company last night. Simple tomato based pasta meal and some water. All very tasty.

More later. Bye for now - time to run.
  • Options

Good Luck Gareth. When ever i struggle in training i think to myself if Gareth can do it then so can i! Your journey has been amazing - enjoy the final chapter!

• Options

Good luck Gareth! You've got there,, enjoy it all!

• Options
    Have a glorious day Gareth!
  • Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Counting down the hours now. Early meal this evening then rest and sleep.

Getting excited. As in more than I am already.

I've not been able to put pictures on here but plenty on Twitter @welshgje or on my Facebook page. Just search for Gareth Edmondson