Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Guessing you mean a carb-loader drink, Ruffles? Having no experience of these in a carb-loading process, I'm going to try SiS Go Energy this time round simply because I know I can get either the sachets or a tub of it in the local running shop later today.

I did consider using USN enduro carbs (?) but can't find a physical stockist anywhere near here, all online, not sure about that therefore so would rather to talk to folks in the running shop first.

Hope that helps

• Options

Feeling a but unsure of my plan right now. I'm following the RW smartcoach plan and it has a last 20 tomorrow despite it being only 2 weeks to London! I know nerves are usually high toward the end of training but the general consensus (reading up on it) is that I should be 3 week tapering..

Ive got 2x 20s, 1x18 and 2 16s in the bag. The last few sundays have been big - 20 - 16 - 20. Should I trust the plan or go shorter (say 15 instead of 20)? 

Maybe I'm just jealous of you guys tapering like crazy! image

• Options
    Hannay I'd go way shorter. I'm only doing 10 tomorrow. You have done plenty of long runs, and will only wear yourself out.

I did a Park Run this morning, and felt shattered enough during that.
  • Options
    Thanks Reiki, my body does feel like it needs a shorter run. I'll do shorter. Well done for getting some fast stuff in this morning!
  • Options

Hannay, I'm with Reiki - don't do a 20 so close to London. PLEASE don't!!image

Great catching up on the thread everyone - I'm getting goosebumps on your behalf. I have Paddock Wood Half Marathon tomorrow. Was originally gunning for a PB but it hasn't been a great start to the year for me running-wise so I think that's out of the question - so my aim is to run well ie. pace it well, stay strong, smile and look graceful until the last 1km imageimage

James, you are sounding so much more confident and positive. Exactly where you should be - now mentally as well as physically. See you Friday!

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Good luck at Paddock Wood, SamMurphyRuns. You never know what might happen if you follow your own aims as stated above.....that's sage advice a less experienced runner like myself would do well to employ in Paris. Perhaps change 'last 1km' to 'last 6 miles' though?

Following a chat at my local running shop (fit2run in Abingdon) going to use Torq instead of SiS as a carb-loader drink from Thursday onwards, happy with that.

Lovely 30 min easy run today, hardly felt a thing, except the sun....mmm another hot day......and a warm week ahead....might Paris be warmer than expected? Looking forward to tomorrow's 70min MP run.....after I've helped a two year old make breakfast for mummy!

• Options
    Go Sam at Paddock Wood!

Looks like a lovely day today for the rest of us and our lighter efforts.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

James - Sound's like you're well prepared to get a great time!

Sam - Good Luck at Paddock Wood

O RapidRun - great running shop - it's my local too!

This time next week will be running in Paris, am really looking forward to it. Is anyone else doing the breakfast run on the Saturday morning? I've signed up for it, sounds a good way to help me feel relaxed because i've done something on the saturday, with no risk of me being tempted to overdo it.

I don't know what people's plans are for Paris (i'm arriving Fri am, departing Sun eve), but if any forum members fancy meeting up for some carb loading during the weekend, let me know!

• Options

Orapidrun, I've been thinking about my goal time. When I started 15 weeks ago my goal was 3.59.59. I feel like my training has gone really well and a faster time might be possible, however I would be ecstatic if I finished under 4 hours whatever the time. I messed up London last year and don't want to risk anything. Going to run the first half in 9mm and see how I feel. If I've got anything left I'll go for it in the last 6 miles.

Had a good 9 easy miles this afternoon in the sun, with a massive hangover following my best mates wedding yesterday. Definitely off the boos now for the rest of the week.

Looking forward to 3 easy plods this week

• Options

Well, the last 9m run before Paris. Great morning to be out running - ran the 9m in 8:35mm and came back in 1:18.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/470123690

New layout for Garmin Connect takes some working out!

The temptation next weekend will be to go too quick over the first 10m. Will be aiming for 8:50 and then start picking up the pace to 8:40 for the next 10m. Saying that, I feel 8:45mm is very doable. 

Icing a sore calf still but so much better than a few weeks ago.

Really excited about it all culminating in next weekend. It has been such a learning experience and I am so grateful to all of you who have been involved in the journey. Looking forward to raising a glass to you all next weekend.

J

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Mc Hilly - ha, another fit2run frequenter!, I've always found the guys there really helpful with everything, giving balanced and realistic advice on all things from 5k to 26.2 and beyond. Are you one of the 1100 signed up for the Abingdon marathon in October?

James L - I hear you with the 3:59:59 and will be really happy there too but similarly training's gone well and so aiming for 3:54 to have something to play with if I get held up.....amateur theory in action again. Going on a good and awesome goal tactic now therefore the 3:46 comes into play.....I know it's there! Ha, good for you running with a hangover, I suppose you were doing it in the name of training....simulating the latter stages from the start!

James C - the last one done, tick. That is the biggest problem, going off too quick, takes real effort to slow it down at the beginning. In comparison, I won't be running at 8:50 until the 16th mile....you'll be flying along! Hope the calf makes a speedy recovery, another massage booked? Yes, looking forward to a une biere froid at the end on Sunday too, will raise a glass back at yer trusting that you made your goal, you'll smash it, an impressive training log, well done. Hope the final week goes well.

Did I mention I'm on holiday now for a month..... image

• Options

Last week for Paris!! Am getting excited now.

I'm in better spirits after a 9 miler at the weekend at 8.20mm pace which felt comfortable and my ITB/knee seems to be playing ball.

Need to go and get myself a carb drink as I think that will be easier than so much food which will just leave me feeling heavy.

• Options
    orapidrun wrote (see)

Ruth - many thanks for the advice. I'll do that and with a carb loader drink 3x a day 750g should be much more achievable....think I've been quite under 750g in the past, ah live and learn! Right now, having to make a real effort not to over eat whilst at the same time not go hungry.....quite tricky. Therefore, I start loading up in one week's time....eeek the waiting.

To avoid going hungry try and eat 6 meals a day still  and eat high fibre foods to fill you up. You can even reduce the carbs and increase lean meat in the days before the carb load but do not cut out the carbs.

• Options
    James Carroll 78 wrote (see)

Morning all,

I have had a thought about the diet leading up to Paris,

Proposed main meals from March 30th

Saturday

Pancetta, watercress and gnochi

Sunday

Chilli miso salmon

Monday

Cashew and sesame quinoa

Tuesday

Pizza with artichoke and goats cheese

Wednesday

Lemon chicken and cous cous

Thursday

Spinach and walnut pesto

Lunchtimes I will go for a salad or soup option with bread.

Breakfast – Muesli

Snacks will remain as bagels and malt loaf.

Will supplement the diet with carbloading drinks from Tuesday onwards. Will make sure I also drink plenty of water leading up to Sunday. This def made a difference on the final long run.

Ruth, let me know your thoughts. Tried to go with energy rich foods and also a bit of variety!

The meals over the next few days are good (in fact can I come to yours for dinner!!!)  but you should only be eating fairly small portions as you are not training much then increase these when carb load days kick in. On carb load days so not worry about protein (cheese, meat, fish, nuts) &  fat and even reduce fruit and veg as can fill you up; focus on the carb intake (you will only carb load 1-2 per year unless you do more then 2  marathons a year!) so no long term issues cutting down on these foods for a few days as this keeps the calorie intake more controlled.  

Just for info: the carb loads drinks are really no different from a full sugar high juice or fruit smoothie but they can be very convenient especially when travelling. Isotonic sports drinks such as GO SIS is not a carb load drink (not high enough in sugar), they tend to be advertised as carb load drinks and will have 10 or more carbs of carbs per 100ml when made up.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

ORapidRun, no i've not signed up for Abingdon, as I much prefer to do long training runs in winter than when its hotter in summer/september.... I mashalled on it last year and will probably do the same again, are you running it?

Ruth - With carb loading, does the source of the carbs make any difference? e.g. is carb from sugars any better or worse than from other sources eg rice, pasta etc

• Options

Really wanted to go for a run this evening. Finished work early and the sun was shining but must stick to the plan. Instead I've been working on my nutrition plan for Manchester. Been looking back at Ruth's various posts over the course of this thread.

I'm just under 80kg, so at 8-10g per kg per day I need to aim for a minimum of 640kg. With 3 meals and 3 snacks I'm up to 612 on Friday and 625 on Saturday. Not sure I could eat anymore. Reckon I've got close enough.

Then got 121 carbs before the race. 8 Jelly Babies (0 - 1h) and 6 gels (1h onwards) during.

How does that sound to everyone?

• Options

Hi all - those pre-race jitters are emanating from the page now!

I had an OK but poorly executed race yesterday. (Bumped into DS2, which was nice!) Basically, me and my husband lost each other at the start area, and I had the dog so I couldn't warm up or even join the enormous loo queue. So then when he finally found me I was seething and stormed off (I know, I know, I'm suitably embarrassed). Only realised I'd stormed off without any gels or drinks after the gun had gone off. Oops. Felt OK to 10 miles, and then totally bonked. Pace dropped by 30 seconds a mile for 11 and 12, and I barely picked it up for final mile. Finished in 1.34.01. So learn from my mistakes, all, and be super-organised on race morning imageimage

• Options

Wow, Sam 1.34 on a bad day. I look forward to bad days like that.

Your story did bring a smile to my face! We have all been there.

Ran my last 4m progression this morning, legs felt good, blocking out the phantom niggles!

Race kit has arrived, a very subtle canary yellow colour. Other runners will be dazzled as I trot round the course. Will be a great memento of an amazing 16 weeks.

• Options
    Gosh Sam, a gel away from a pb is actually great though. I've started fuming a few times, usually related to late arrival sabotage & forgetting to snip into the top edges of the gels, change shoes, get car keys back for afterwards, it's all coming back to me now.

Given the jitterama I made a list for Sunday week - it's a full page of A4!
  • Options

Sam, I echo James, 1:34 on a bad day, good on you.  There's always another race to learn from your mistakes!

I did the 4m progression run yesterday and felt pretty good so am feeling far more positive about Paris.

• Options

All, just to say well done us all for getting this far. Have fantastic runs at the weekend. I'm well jel of James C and Sophie in Paris, Manchester just isn't so glamorous! I'm excited and nervous at the same time, but know that I've got a solid 16 weeks of training in the bag to call on and I'm streets ahead training wise compared to last year's mara attempt. Can't wait to hear how you all get on!

Well done on your 4milers James C and Sophie. I did a session on the treadmill this morning (my only one in 16 weeks).

Reiki, would love to see your list!

JamesLinney - I have the same plan for Manc as you! Also off the booze this week (ended up having an impromptu all-day drinking on Saturday, love the Summery weather). Being off the booze made a lot harder by the fact my boyf got really good job news, ah well, we've got Sunday afternoon for a few celebratory drinks I'm sure!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi James - just delurking! have continued to follow your thread and would just like to say, well done, on your progress and have a fantastic weekend and race!

(Nice to see you Sunday Sam Murphy Runs). Amazingly we finished within a place of each other and I hadn't realised it was you until I heard them announce your name!

• Options

Good luck EastEndJogger in Manchester!

I just had acupuncture in my left glute (i.e I just paid someone to stick needles in my butt) - the things we do for the cause.  Fingers crossed it works!

• Options

Afternoon all,

so close you can touch it... the Easter eggs that is.

DS2 - many thanks, it has been a great journey so far and I just hope I can do it justice!

EastEndJogger -Glad to hear you are well and gearing up for Manc - just think of the cold beer at the end, hopefully enjoyed in sunshine! I think it could be a warm weekend! glad I have already learnt my lesson of not hydrating properly. Won't be falling into that trap in Paris! Have a great run.

Sophie - what day are you getting to Paris? We will be running a similar race plan, won't we?

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

It could be a rather warm one en Paris!

All done, just a 30min jog on Thursday and 15mins on Saturday and then the big one! Really looking forward to soaking up some of the atmosphere......and remembering not to go off tooooo quickly!

Food gathered and stored ready for the 3 day feast starting on Thursday, thanks Ruth for all your advice, tips and suggestions.

McHilly- yes, am signed up for Abingdon but can't give that any thought yet.....start doing that on April 7th.

Ruffles - accupuncture sounds interesting, did it hurt? Or more to the point (excuse the pun) did it work?

JamesC- you'll be fine, relax, you've trained extremely well for a marathon. And if a tall person in a white cap jabbers something incomprehensibly at you (esp after 20miles) on Sunday morning, it could be me wishing you along! I saw a piccy of Malcs kit.....bright and umm quite noticeable.

• Options

Morning All

I did my last 3 miler this morning as I am too busy tomorrow. Not sure if the acupuncture has worked. I could still feel the niggle in my knee this morning but it felt better. Let's hope it holds up for the marathon!  Just a little run on Sat and that's it until the big day. I can't believe the journey is almost over. It's been a lot more fun with the online support and asics plans.

James - we're heading to Paris on Friday lunchtime. You? Yep, I'm going to try your pace strategy. Fingers crossed it works for us both!

• Options
    Mc Hilly wrote (see)

ORapidRun, no i've not signed up for Abingdon, as I much prefer to do long training runs in winter than when its hotter in summer/september.... I mashalled on it last year and will probably do the same again, are you running it?

Ruth - With carb loading, does the source of the carbs make any difference? e.g. is carb from sugars any better or worse than from other sources eg rice, pasta etc

Hi

I would do a mix as you would probably feel fatigued and funny if you just ate sugar all day so a sensible mix to achieve your target would be wise. So pasta at a meal with a sugary drink etc

• Options
    James Linney wrote (see)

Really wanted to go for a run this evening. Finished work early and the sun was shining but must stick to the plan. Instead I've been working on my nutrition plan for Manchester. Been looking back at Ruth's various posts over the course of this thread.

I'm just under 80kg, so at 8-10g per kg per day I need to aim for a minimum of 640kg. With 3 meals and 3 snacks I'm up to 612 on Friday and 625 on Saturday. Not sure I could eat anymore. Reckon I've got close enough.

Then got 121 carbs before the race. 8 Jelly Babies (0 - 1h) and 6 gels (1h onwards) during.

How does that sound to everyone?

The actual in race plan should also reflect previous races and what worked well etc but this plan looks good but carry an extra gel "just in case"image

• Options

Good luck in Paris James. Heres hoping you have a fantastic run and fingers crossed for that sub 4. 

• Options

Thanks Ruth - plan is similar to what I did at Dorney and on my two-20 mile runs. I need to go and buy another gel - down to my last 6.

Braved the London pollution this morning for a final 3 easy miles. Can't wait for the weekend, I have everything laid out, ready for tomorrow's drive up to Manchester. Weather forecast for Manchester is unsurprisingly, wet and windy.

Good luck everyone over the next few days - stay injury free