Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-4.30 Isabel

Comments

• Options

Isabel, it looks like a very tough run yesterday, but great effort in doing it - the wind was very tough. I found it very hard to run too and only did 6km!

Today I had a better time than yesterday because the sun was out! My 10 mile race was great fun and running with my friends was lovely as usual. 

I planned to run at a steady HM pace. Splits were:

9:24/8:43/8:40/8:44/8:43/8:48/8:46/8:43/8:39/7:52

And garmin time 1:27:05. 

I followed your carb loading programme yesterday and it seems to have worked well despite me feeling very full and sick of all the juice and sugar by the time I went to bed last night! I wonder if there is a slightly less sweet way of carb loading?

I hope that you've had a good run in the sunshine today?

• Options

Cant find a asics gel belt, tghis is the one I use from runners need, really comfy, space for six gels and a pouch.

http://www.runnersneed.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=RIFT0002BA

• Options

Hi all,  

Sorry I couldn't post yesterday, really busy day.

Yesterday I went for a 4 mi. easy run which I really enjoyed. I ran early morning and the weather was beautiful and no wind at all, which was great image  

Sun 4 miles easy (9.30-10.20):  

• Time: 39:06
    • Avg Pace: 9:42 min/mi
    • Avg Run Cadence: 158 spm
    • Max Run Cadence: 170 spm
    • Avg Stride Length: 1.05 m

Ruth, thank you very much. It was quite tough indeed and the moment I enjoyed the most was when I finished image But I am really happy to tell you that I haven't had any cramp at all this weekend. So thank you Ruth, Sam and Sarah. I followed your advise to the letter. I have 18 mi. this Saturday which will be again my longest distance and another great opportunity to try carb load, gels, etc.   Regarding carb load, first of all, I like carb load days!!! image The only thing I struggled a bit with, was with so much juice. I love fruit juice and this is not an issue at all, but mid-afternoon juice felt a bit too much and mid morning juice was ok, but I tried to spread it for as long as possible, do you think that's ok? Regarding yoghurt, I tried to have two or three spoons of a second pot (a pot of Activa yoghurt is 125g) but I couldn't (maybe too much milk image. During the longrun I had three gels + water and no problem at all. I think the recovery meals have also made a difference. I had a chocolate brownie yesterday as well image  

Thanks MacFinbob. Well done on the 6 km on Saturday and yesterday's race. I am sure you must have enjoyed a lot with your friends and the beautiful weather. Very even splits and great sprint at the end! I did also very much enjoyed yesterday's run. The skies were blue and there was not even a breeze of wind. How did you like the carb load? Regarding the juice, I think I felt the same way during the afternoon. I didn't feel like I was having too much sugar but like drinking a lot of juice. Maybe Ruth can help you with recommendations on less sweet carb loading. When is your next longrun? I have 18 miles on Saturday! I think it is a great opportunity to do carb load again and see how the stomach adapts to the diet. 

Thanks Roger! This looks great and I think I need something like this for the marathon and long runs. My idea was to take water with me but since there will be a few water stations I will go for a gel belt like this. I will let you know.  

• Options

And here is week 10 plan. 

I may have to swap Tuesday's and Thursday's training as one of these two days I have to run very early in the morning and I think intervals require a bit more energy image And record distance scheduled for Saturday!  

Have a good week.  

Mon Rest

Tue 5M easy (9.30-10.20)

Wed 4M out and back with steady pace on way out (9.00-9.30) building to threshold pace on way back (8.35-8.45)

Thu 5M consisting of 1M jog, then 5 x 800m at 10km pace (approx 4:15 per rep), with 200m/2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Fri Rest

Sat 18M easy (9.30-10.20)

Sun Cross train or rest   

• Options

Isabel, my next long run will be Reading Half the weekend after next so this past weekend's race was a good practise of carb loading. The result was good on Sunday, but I did feel quite bloated & full on Saturday night & was not very hungry and craving savoury rather than sweet for a pre race breakfast. Ruth would it be ok to use something like marmite on bagel for snacks to give me a savoury taste? As Isabel found, there was a lot of fruit juice to drink - I used Ribena instead, but that was also too sweet! I used to think that I had a sweet tooth, but maybe I don't after all.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Isabel - keep going you're doing great!

We're now at the business end of the training. As the long runs ramp up it does get tougher but you know you can do it! image

• Options

Hi MacFinbob, time is flying! You'll do a great job at Reading! The good thing is that you still have this weekend to practise a different type of carb load. I will do the same carb load this Friday and see how I feel about the juice. I really like fruit juice and I was thinking maybe an option could be to prepare the full amount in the morning and then drink by feel making sure I finish it at the end of the day. What do you think Ruth?

Hi Malcs! Many thanks! You are doing great too! What an amazing PB on Saturday! Yes, I can't believe it's almost end of February. I had intervals today and it's funny how your mind changes throughout the training from "I love intervals" to "do I love intervals?" to "Please let me finish now" to...."actually, I do really love intervals" (while stretching) image 

• Options

Good night all,  

I hope everyone had a nice start of the week.   

Here are today's splits. I have done intervals today instead of on Thursday as I have to run early in the morning the day after tomorrow. I have messed up a bit with the Garmin as I realised I had set the second recovery to 2 miles instead of 2 min image So I stopped and used the lap function. I have done some cross training as well today, so busy training day image   

Tue 5M consisting of 1M jog, then 5 x 800m at 10km pace (approx 4:15 per rep), with 200m/2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog.  

• Distance: 5.56 miles
    • Time: 51:48
    • Avg Pace: 9:19 min/mi
    • Splits:
    • 1 mile warm up: 9:32
    • 5x800m: 8:07 / 8:09 / 7:56 / 8:28 / 8:33
    • 2 min jog recoveries: 9:55 / 12:44 / 10:14 / 10:34 
    • 1 mile cool down: 10:17

Good night!

• Options

Hello everyone,

Here are today's splits.

I managed to stay within the pace guidelines!!! And! I managed to pretend the tray of brownies that have been staring at me at work today did not exist image

Wed 4M out and back with steady pace on way out (9.00-9.30) building to threshold pace on way back (8.35-8.45)

• Distance: 4.07 miles
    • Time: 36:06
    • Avg Pace: 8:53 min/mi
    • Splits: 9:05 / 9:01 / 8:44 / 8:41

Back to study now and back to the park tomorrow early morning. Will I be able to step out of bed at 5.55? Well, I will let you know tomorrow!!!!  

Have a lovely night,  

Isabel

• Options

Rachelcgen, looking forward to hearing from you on Saturday's half marathon!

• Options

Morning Isabel, sorry, hadn't realised I'd not updated this thread!

The HM went brilliantly, totally to plan. I decided to  run with the 10mm pace makers. They started off faster than I wanted to so Idropped back a little and kept to my own pace, although eventually joined up with them again. A steady 10 miles up and down with and against the wind, not the most picturesque, but flat and easy to manage.   At 10miles, I'd decided that if I was feeling good, I'd speed it up, so that's what I did over the last few miles.

The fueling strategy went well. Bagel an hour or so before; gel immediately before and then at 5 miles and 9.5miles. had no problems with this.

It all combined to a new PB by 7mins, at 2:07:03.  

But I knew it was too good to be true, because as of Monday, now injured. Got major foot pain that the physio is identifying as being caused by a hip problem. so can't currently run and need to get a course of treatment to get back in alignment. So, we'll see how that goes. 

• Options

Oh Rachelcgen so sorry about foot but well done on PB!

Isabel - I will post a altered carb load but do you think you would manage more soild food if I reduced the juice?  (I will also reduce yoghurt to normal day to day level)image

• Options

Good night Rachel, great to hear from you. First of all, congratulations on a very well run Half Marathon, running at your own pace at first and saving the big effort for the second part. Congrats as well on your PB and good to read that the fuel strategy went well. I love bagels image 

I am very sorry to read that you are injured. I hope you recover very soon. Gareth is doing a run/walk strategy which may also help you to go back to running once you recover. Take care and let us know how it goes. 

• Options

Good night Ruth, I will let you know tomorrow how it goes with the juice. It will be my second carb load day and maybe the fact that last week it was a mix of fresh and concentrated juice makes a difference. Tomorrow I'll only drink fresh juice (orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime image My fridge is full of fruit now! image 

• Options

Good night all,

Yesterday night I realised I could manage to run early evening today so I woke up as usual instead of at a very painful 5.55 am image So I have run today 5 miles at easy pace. As I was a bit of in a hurry, I ran with a backpack from work to home for the first time. Tough, I was not prepared and the backpack felt quite heavy. I was not comfortable because the backpack was a bit heave and not very good for running. 

And I have also done some cross training, aka, I have been squeezing juice for half an hour for tomorrow's carb load and that should count as exercise image I will follow a full carb load diet tomorrow as I have 18 miles scheduled for Saturday. I love carb load days! image 

Thu 5M easy (9.30-10.20)

• Distance: 5.01 miles
    • Time: 50:23
    • Avg Pace: 10:04 min/mi
    • Splits: 10:03 / 9:51 / 9:59 / 10:32 / 9:53
    • Avg Run Cadence:159 spm
    • Max Run Cadence:175 spm
    • Avg Stride Length:1.00 m

Have a good night  

• Options

Hi Isabel, how is the carb loading going today? It's got to be one of the best bits about training for a marathon image

You did well to do those intervals on Tues, so soon after your 13-mile paced run. The first 3 of the 800m were a fair bit too fast, but the last two were spot on. How did they feel?

Really hope tomorrow's run goes well - the weather forecast looks pretty good...

• Options

Isobel

Could you let me know exactly what you managed for your carb load? As I know it is hard to follow my plans to the letter.

• Options

Hi Ruth and Sam,

I am about to finish my carb load day. I loved the 2 slices of bread with jam this morning image And I'm looking forward to recovery meal tomorrow too image I may have a little reward image

This is what I have done today, 100% carb load day!

• Breakfast (7am): 50 bowl of Special K cereal with 125g pot of yoghurt (Activia strawberry, with 13 gr of sugar/100 gr) & 200ml glass of fruit juice (orange and grapefruit).
    • Mid-morning (10 am): 2 slices of bread with strawberry jam
    • Lunch (12.30 pm): 75g pasta with tomato sauce
    • Mid-afternoon (4 pm): 1 banana 
    • Evening meal (8pm): 75g pasta with tomato sauce
    • Supper (I'll have it before going to bed in a while): 50g bowl of Special K cereal and 125g pot of yoghurt
    • I had 1 litre of fruit juice throughout the day. 

I was happy with the juice and felt the difference of having fresh fruit juice. Last week I had concentrated, which has much more sugar I think. I feel good and ready for tomorrow, and I am happy to go ahead with the juice. I have noticed there is a big difference between having concentrated and fresh juice. I was ok with the banana as well. The only thing I would change is the amount of yoghurt and stick to just one 125g pot. 

Tomorrow I will try Torq gels with caffeine (guarana) and without. I may go up to 5 or 6 gels. I will also try a gel belt. I plan to run at 8.45, same as Paris.

Sam, I felt good doing the intervals but as you say I ran too fast at first so struggled a bit on the last ones. But my overall feeling was very good! I am looking forward to seeing how I feel after tomorrow's 18 miler. The weather looks great and I will run through the whole city again.

Ruth, I love carb load days image 

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!

• Options

Good night all,

Today I ran my first 18 miler!!! And I felt really good!!!! I very much enjoyed today's run because I felt fit, with lots of energy, and with homework done. The weather was just beautiful and I really enjoyed running through London, although I got a bit lost at the end. 

I ran 18.16 miles. I actually felt like running a bit more (theory of the 40 steps image but I was completely lost in the City running through small alleys so I decided maybe it was a good time to stop. 

So, some details about today:

• Breakfast: woke up at 6 am, had a bowl of cereal + yoghurt + two slices of toast with jam + orange juice. I went back to bed and had a bit of juice and a bar of special K cereal half an hour before going out. 
    • Fueling: I tried Torq gels today. I was told they are organic and very gentle on the stomach. I had 5 gels in total, three of them with guarana (berry) and two normal gels (apple crumble). Torq gels are not isotonic but are very easy to have and the taste is good. They worked well although I felt a bit uncomfortable after the third one. I think they give a slightly lower boost than the SIS gels but I liked them. I also had water. I tried a gel belt today and it was very useful. A bit bouncing but I think it is very handy.
    • Post-run: When I got home, I had a nuun electrolyte tablet, a cereal bar and an orange juice. For lunch, I went out and had lunch at a Spanish restaurant. I had something called "pisto", a very traditional and yummy Spanish dish, which is made of baked eggs, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, onions and eggplant. 
    • Cramps: no sign of them so far!!! I just feel my biceps and adductor are a bit sore, just a bit. I have to sit down slowly image
    • Just when I finished running, I had a really intense headache for around five minutes. I took a sit, had an energy drink and recovered. Maybe I was looking a bit tired, everyone kindly offered me their seat on the tube image 
    • I felt really fit, enjoyed from start to end and I think splits are good. I also got a half marathon PB! (2:02:00)

Splits:

• Distance: 18.16 miles
    • Time: 2:53:44
    • Average pace: 9:34 min/mile
    • Splits: 9:32 / 10:03 / 9:29 / 9:19 / 9:23 / 9:33 / 9:08 / 8:54 / 9:55 / 8:59 / 9:08 / 8:54 / 9:04 / 10:12 / 9:12 / 9:53 / 11:26 / 9:46
    • Avg Run Cadence:163 spm
    • Max Run Cadence:181 spm
    • Avg Stride Length:1.03 m

Look at this map!: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/449160480 

Thank you very much Sam, Ruth and Sarah for all of your good and expert advise. I couldn't be doing this without your support. Being so well prepared does really make a difference image

Have a great evening and enjoy your running tomorrow. I will be resting image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Isabel - very well done indeed! Those 18 milers are tough going but it sounds like you completely breezed it!

Once again you felt good at the end which shows that your endurance is very good. Ideally you'll want to get to 20 miles in Paris still feeling good. It's the just a little 10K race for the line. You're looking good for this so keep up the great work!

Very good to hear you had no cramps.

What's this about sore biceps? We're you carrying dumbells?image

• Options

Isabel

Really pleased with this carb load, brilliant!! Do you think you could add anything else to the mid-afternoon banana....say a cereal bar, don't worry if feel you can't.

Your recovery is  so so so much better. Those tired and hungry muscles are now feeling well fed and looked after  image

• Options

A fantastic run, Isabel! Very proud of you image A really consistent set of splits and you still felt good at the end. All really good signs that you are getting very marathon-fit!

It's good you got to test out the gel belt - have you got any other options to try or do you think you can put up with the bouncing? It's really important that you are comfortable with what you plan to use on race day.

Malcs, I reckon Isabel means biceps femoris, which is the main hamstring muscle image

• Options

Good morning!!!! Thank you Malcs, Ruth and Sam, will post later tonight but I want to quickly update on week's 11 plan, here it goes!

WEEK ELEVEN w/c 24 Feb (approx 32M)  

Mon 3 miles very easy

Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M at 10K pace (approx 8.30 per mile pace) with 2 mins 30 sec jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed Rest

Thu 5M easy plus strides

Fri Rest

Sat TRAINING DAY

Sun 15M progression run: 5 miles 10.40, 5 miles 10.20 4 miles 10.00 min miles

And pace guidelines:

• Very Easy: 10.20-11.00 Should feel as if you could do this all day. Effortless!
    • Easy: 9.30-10.20  Should feel comfortable. Can chat quite easily.
    • Steady:9.00-9.30 Still comfortable but slightly more breathless and less chatty!
    • Threshold pace:8.35-8.45 Challenging but controlled effort. Can get short phrases out. Breathing should be hard but controlled, not ragged
    • Speedwork: 7.10-8.10 min mile depending on length of rep. Tough. One-word answers only!

Have a nice week!

• Options

Hi Isabel, I've decided to follow your thread as I'm also running in Paris, and hoping to manage close to 4h, initially I was following James's thread but he is impressively fast and looks as if he will go closer to 3.30, also your training looks to be going really well, and my pace is much closer to yours than James, so I shall now be following you too! 

Reading the info about carb loading is really insightful, I had thought simply by having some pasta the night before and then porridge and or malt loaf on the day that I was carb loading!  I will certainly give it a try, my only problem is I think I could have natural talent in this area, and and currently trying to watch my weight as I don't want to carry extra kg's for 26 miles! But I'm sure a practice, and again for the main event will help me, I shall look forward to trying!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Malcs, I reckon Isabel means biceps femoris, which is the main hamstring muscle image

Aha! Mystery solved - I thought you were piggybacking some sort of upper body workout programme on top of these long runs.image

Clearly I need to brush up on my anatomical terms! 

Mc Hilly - you will be amazed how much of a help a proper carbo load gives you. It made a massive difference for me last year. 

• Options

Thank you Malcs! I am very happy and looking forward to the next long run, this time with you and the rest of the team!!! I felt good at the end and during the day but I decided to take a little nap before going out on Saturday night, and well....I woke up on Sunday morning. So I have to work on evening endurance now image So far I think I can get to 20-22 miles and still feel fit so very happy with that! hehehe, if I have to run 18 miles with dumbells I quit at this very precise moment! image  

Thank you Ruth! I couldn't imagine how important pre and post run meals are to endure and feel fit after the long run. This until I met you image So a big thank you! Happy to add the cereal bar. They have a thin layer of chocolate so I can't say no to that image Although it was carb load day, I did not feel heavy at all just a bit full with so much fluid. My recovery is excellent now! I felt quite tired towards the end of the day but I think that is normal and the combination of the long run and waking up at 5.45 am! I didn't even have sore legs on Sunday so very pleased with that.  

Thank you Sam! I see myself now going through the finish line and not crawling to the finish line image so very happy with that! Regarding the belt, I tried a SIS gel belt. The problem was that it was loose even when adjusting it to the maximum, so I lowered it but it was still bouncing and kept falling off. The belt did not remain in position either so I was not 100% comfortable, but once I realised it was going to be like that, I was ok. I am going to try other options though, like the one Roger recommended last week.  

Hi Mc Hilly, welcome to the thread! Great to hear you are also doing the Paris marathon. Indeed, James is flying! I am also very happy with my progress so far and I hope all the information shared here is useful for you as well. I thought the same as you before meeting Ruth! For me having a big plate of pasta the night before and a larger breakfast on the day of the race was enough but after having done carb load for two Fridays I can only say it is really a key to endure a marathon and to actually enjoy it. I think that if you follow a healthy diet during the week, carb load will actually have a positive impact not only on the long runs but also on your diet after the run. And I would also advise you to follow Ruth's plan on post long runs, I used to have very bad calf cramps after running long distance and I haven't had any after the last two long runs. Keep us updated with your progress and good luck with your training!  

• Options

Good night all,

Just a very quick post on today's splits as I still have a bit of study to finish before going to bed. I had the BUPA fitness assessment today and I will post in detail tomorrow. The summary is that I am in very good condition to run a marathon so happy with that image It was very comprehensive and I got my medical certificate for Paris image 

Today I had scheduled 3 miles at very easy pace : 

• Distance: 3.02 mi
    • Time: 31:09
    • Avg Pace:10:19 min/mi
    • Splits: 9:53 / 9:55 / 11:08

Good night!    

• Options

Hello everyone,

I had my Bupa Fitness Assessment yesterday. This is the closest I have ever been to feeling like a professional athlete, with so many different tests, electrode pads and technical names image 

As soon as I arrived at the Bupa Center at the West End, I was greeted by Daniel, who carried out all the tests and carefully explained the purpose of each part of the assessment. It was quite comprehensive and the first time for me to go through such technical tests, so lots of interesting information. I will receive the full results and report in 1-2 weeks. So here are a few details:

• The first part was body composition, measuring weight, height, waist, body fat and blood pressure. All good here.

• The next part was flexibility and strength. For flexibility, you have to sit on the floor, extend your legs with the soles of your feet against a white block and then stretch and push the ruler on top the block as much as you can. For strength, you have to hold and push a grip. All good here as well.

• The next part was respiratory performance where the flow of air through the lungs is assessed. A number of things are checked here: lung accessibility and lung airways. This bit is quite tough! You have sensors placed on the chest, a clip on your nose and a mouth piece. So, you have to breathe through this mouth piece, which at the same time is connected to a screen and your nose is blocked with the clip so you just can breathe through your mouth.  What you have to do here is to breathe deeply into the mouth piece and then force all the air out of your lungs until the yellow screen bar goes green. It is really tough!!! I had to repeat it 3 or 4 times and I was told this is quite normal but I have never been happier to see a screen turning green from yellow image So, what they measure here is your accessible lung capacity, called Vital Capacity. Since you exhale forcefully, it is called Forced Virtual Capacity (FVC) and the amount exhaled in one second is known as FEV1.  And then with these two measurements, you get the FVC/FEV1 ratio, which ideally has to be between 70% and 80%. If it's below 70%, you may have some lung obstruction and if it is above 80% it either indicates a high athletic fitness or some restriction to the lung capacity. My FEV1/FVC ratio is 80%. They also give you a lung age! If I remember correctly my lung age is 24 image

• The next part is cardio and respiratory test. You are wired with a few electrode pads, lay on the bed and your heart and pulse readings are taken. I'll get the values with the full report but all of them were very good as explained by the doctor.

• And then, mouth piece and nose clip again! Here you get on the bike, nose clipped, mouth piece on and then you have to pedal for I think 10 or 15 min with gradual increases in workload. The doctor takes the blood pressure every couple of minutes. The purpose of this is to calculate something called VO2 max (maximal oxygen uptake). The VO2 max measures your body's ability to breathe in and use oxygen for energy production and the higher the value, the more energy you can generate for exercise.  This test is quite tough as well because at some point you feel you just want to tear away the nose clip and breathe normally. My VO2 max value is 39.7 (ml/kg/min). Daniel showed me a chart with VO2 values for men and women. For my age group my value is very good so happy with this.

• My heart rate during exercise, the efficiency of my heart in delivering oxygen, my breathing response, my overall lung efficiency and metabolism were also checked. I will update when I get the full report.

The whole experience was very interesting and I was very well taken care of by the BUPA staff. And I also got the medical certificate for Paris signed by the doctor image  

I would recommend this kind of assessment it if you are seriously considering to improve or upgrade your training, or make the most of your exercise routine. Really interesting!

• Options

Hi there again,

Here are today's splits:

Tue 6 miles: 1M jog +  4 x 1M at 10K pace (approx 8.30 per mile pace) with 2 mins 30 sec jog recoveries + 1M jog

• Distance: 6.79 mi
    • Time:1:01:44
    • Avg Pace:9:06 min/mi
    • Avg Run Cadence:163 spm
    • Max Run Cadence:179 spm
    • Avg Stride Length:1.08 m
    • Splits: 1 mile warm up 9:42 / 4 x 1M: 8:35 / 8:28 / 8:34 / 8:50 / 2 min 30 sec jog recoveries: 8:44 / 9:45 / 10:06 / 1 mile cool down: 10:04

I received a new pair of running shoes from Asics (thank you very much!): the DS 19 trainers. I have been running with the Gel Kayano 20 which is a great running shoe, very structured and with lots of support and I am going to try now a slightly lighter shoe but still with lots of support.  My initial feeling is that they fit very well, the shoes are very light and I can still run long distance with them but I will confirm this on Saturday's long run. I have also received compression clothes: a top and tights which I will also be trying out in the next days.

Good night!

• Options

Hi Sam, I have a question regarding Thursday. What do you mean by 5 miles plus strides? Do I have to put more focus on the strides while I'm running or do I need to do anything after the 5 miles?

Thanks image