Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Options

How did Race for Life go Daffs?

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Oops, forgot I didn't come back in after that! image

We had a lovely time thanks imageimage I was still in the portaloo when it started (!) so didn't manage to meet family beforehand, so had no idea if my sister was in front or behind - I squeezed in through a fence to get to the start...

SO hot. First mile 9.53 - speedy for me (and felt it). Second mile 10.08 - still pretty fast. Then it just was SO warm and a big(ish) hill and I had to walk and just couldn't get going again, so third mile was 11.14.

So overall 34.59 (slightly longer than 5k) which is a bit slow even for me! image

Walked back round the course til I found my mother and walked the rest of the way round with her image She was dead chuffed with her 1 hr 10 (I think). Sister and her eldest son (who's 8) walked it, but did a sprint finish and overtook us at the end image

Auntie (who had breast cancer last year, and had done something to her back so did the whole thing with a TENS machine and a walking stick), and her friend (who had a gammy knee and also had a walking stick) did 1 hr 20 and were SO pleased with their medals image

So smiles all round, promises to do it next year, and we raised nearly £700 between us image What Race for Life is all about image

Didn't run for a week afterwards image But today I've realised it's 19 weeks to the marathon so I'd best get my arse in gear...

I think I'm going with the plan from the 'marathons for mortals' book - very straightforward, just run/walk all the way which I need. Four runs a week which should be doable.

Today I was stiff and achey and felt like I hadn't run for weeks (except in a race!). Did 35 mins of r3/w2 nice and gently, and could feel my legs starting to work before the end image

This week looks like:

Mon 35 mins r3/w2

Tues 35 mins r3/w2

Wed fieldwork - out all day

Thurs 35 mins r3/w2

Fri - out at work all day

Sat - at conference all day

Sun - 6 miles r3/w2

That feels like quite enough for a first week back!

Tell us all about the 10in10 Kaz!!

• Options

Daffs

How is it going?

i've been cycling a lot but starting training this week for a September half Marathon not been on here for a bit.

Kaz ,

How are you how was the 10 in 10?

Barbara

• Options

Hey guys, sorry not been around.  Everything seems to be so manic these days!  Hope you're well.

What's the half you're doing Barbara?

10in10 went well.  Seems like a lifetime ago now though!  Found it hard mentally and emotionally this time round.  Think that was a combination of my first experience of Brathay without having Foxy around but also a lot to do with months of assorted worries and stresses.  Think it all rather got on top of me. 

Now trying to decide whether to have a punt at getting in for a fourth year.  The outright ladies record is rather appealing I have to say!!

So what are the training/racing plans?

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Ooh, are you in with a chance at the record Kaz? Go for it! image

Hi Barbara image Which half are you doing?

I confess I've been avoiding coming in here cos I haven't really been running very much... image

Given myself a slap though and went out tonight - just 35 mins, r3/w2 so took forever, but nice to be out. Felt rather unfit!!

Just looked at my Fetch log

Jan 51 miles

Feb - 53 miles

March - 33 (was on holiday for about 1.5 weeks of March though)

April - 15 (er, a bit of holiday, lots more swimming and cycling for triathlon but still quite pathetic!)

May - 18 miles - needed a bit of time off after triathlon and race for life!

Up to 6 in June now and on the case.

Marathon is 6th October, so pretty much dead on 4 months. I was planning to follow the Penguin plan - I get on very well with run/walk image and I've always struggled with increasing long runs every week - often end up missing them. The penguin one increases, then drops back, increases, drops back etc.

Fairly sure it's a 20 week plan though so I'm already late starting, oh dear!

• Options

My half is Windsor on 28th september. 

Kaz well done. Ladies record sounds like you should give it a go if its within reach. Easy for me to say I know....

Daffs- I started my half marathon plan tonight. It said easy run. I did 3.5 miles very slowly and it was not easy. I'm using the Garmin HR plan which is what I used for my marathon as well. But like you I've had some down time which is not a bad thing. I'm sure we'll both feel better pretty soon if we keep at it. My sister and I ran /walked our first marathons last year and she did a time of 4:46 so I say go for it. Good luck.

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Thanks! And good luck to you too image

4 miles planned for tomorrow, then whizzing round the parkrun on Saturday. Will I get under that elusive 30 minutes? Probably not image

• Options

Good luck with Saturdays Park run.

4 miles for me this evening. Hot and humid. Felt good at first but flagged a bit towards the end.

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Good work image

I'm just about to drag myself out for 4 miles too. REALLY don't feel like it image but I'm already up and dressed in running kit so going to go anyway... Just finding a podcast thing to keep me occupied! Will report back...

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

4 mile run on Friday was SO slow! Took me nearly 50 minutes, felt like I was dragging myself, was really hot. Quite grumpy about the whole thing.

However, parkrun on Saturday, I got a new PB! imageimage 30.06, so still not under 30 mins, damn it, but a PB by a whole 4 seconds image

Didn't really feel like it either - I mean, I felt like I was working hard, but certainly at the start didn't think I was going to get anywhere near PB image

Just been looking back at parkrun results. My first was in June 2011 - 40.01 (there were plenty of slower ones AFTER that though!). By July I was down to 37.21, and November 36.12.

Then I had thyroid removed (although I see 9 weeks later I was at a parkrun, and 9 months after the op I did a marathon!) A month after the marathon (Nov 2012) a new PB of 33.21.

Didn't run much in 2013, but started again late September, and October got parkrun PBs 3 weeks in a row - 32.50, 32.26, 30.53. One shabby parkrun, then another 2 PBs in a row - 30.22 (Dec 2013) and 30.10 (Jan 2014).

Only done 4 since then, all 30-something, and yesterday another PB of 30.06 image

So I am making progress, albeit slowly!

According to parkrun I am now have age grading of 49.5% - must be able to get over 50% soon, right?! image

Plan for this week looks like:

Wed - 4  miles

Fri - 5 miles

Sun - 4 miles

• Options

That sub 30 park run can't be far off Daffs keep at it. Enjoy your 4 miles tomorrow. I've done just over 4 tonight in 44 mins. Lovely evening for it. I'm covered in insect bites though I don't know why but they love me.

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Me too Barbara, always get eaten alive, very annoying! Good 4 miles there! image 

Did 4 miles myself this morning, although rather vexingly the garmin wouldn't switch on so I don't know how long it took me - I started listening to an episode of Woman's Hour at the start of the warm up though and was a few minutes into the second episode by the time I got back though so probably about 45-50 mins, which is about right image

Felt SO much better than last week. Ran nearly all the way, and the last 2 miles are uphill. Not fast, but not really plodding either, felt quite fit! 

Shame I don't have any numbers to go with it, feel bereft image I confess I almost considered coming home when I realised Garmin wasn't working!! How ridiculous! image

5 gentle miles (run 3/walk 2) planned for tomorrow, then another 4 or 5 (depending how I feel) on Sunday. Starting to enjoy it again now image 

• Options

Hi guys, how are you doing?  Hope the warmer weather isn't causing too many issues.  Definitely a case of having to re-think goals when it warms up!

Having a major post-Brathay mojo failure.  Was supposed to do a marathon last Saturday but decided I couldn't be faffed.  Have Giants Head this weekend which is more Forum/Fetchie/FB get together with a slow mimble around the Dorset countryside than a race!  Have bought a tent and camping gear so it's bound to tip it down all weekend!!!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Not surprised you're having a mojo failure after 10 marathons in a row kaz! fingers crossed for the weekend but the forecast does look a bit ropey...

i've done nowt all week - had a nasty stomach bug at the weekend and was off sick monday, and probably should have stayed off tuesday too but battled on and still feeling a bit delicate now... bleurgh.

However i've just counted and there's only 14 weeks til the marathon... eek! and i haven't even started a proper training plan yet, aarrgghh!

Will get on the case tomorrow, pick one and get it up on the wall and in the diary.

just joined the facebook group for the local women's running group, they have weekly Thursday evening runs which suits me quite well at the min. Never really been out with a group and have vile memories from school of being always left behind...

... but i can be quite competitive so hopefully it'll spur me on a bit!

not sure how it fits time wise though - if i run thursday eve, i'd generally do my long run friday morning then parkrun saturday which obviously means they're all squashed together. maybe long run better on sunday? but then there's nowhere left if i wimp out - with fridays i figured if it's raining etx i can always do sat or sunday!

things to ponder...

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

and sorry, no idea why i end up with all those made spaces when i post from the phone!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Decided to risk the parkrun this morning...

... having a cuppa and a potato cake with gooseberry jam 15 minutes before starting your first run for a week with an already-delicate stomach is NOT a good nutrition strategy...

... doubled over in pain 2 miles in desperately looking for a bush to throw up in, I figured it was best to just give up and come home! Oh dear!

Fine now - suspect I'll live image

• Options

Oh that's not good.  On the face of it I'd have said there shouldn't be too much of an issue with that, though goosegog jam may be a little too acidic, so I guess it must have been the fact that you were feeling a little delicate already.  Hope your tum settled down quickly afterwards.  Unfortunately nutrition is often a case of 'suck it and see'.  Training's as much about working out what foods and drinks work for you as it is getting the miles in your legs.

Hope you're both doing well.  Did Giants Head marathon last weekend.  Combo of bastard of a course and general mojo issues made for a slow old day - a smidge over 7 hours.  Beautiful scenery but those hills were tough!!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

I reckon you're right Kaz, my stomach is usually far more robust than that! I was fine as soon as I got in the car and sat down actually - it was obviously just objecting to jumping up and down so much!

Well done on Giants Head! Sounds, er, hilly image Hope you've recovered. At least the scenery made up for it!

Running mojo returned a little here image 5 miles on Friday, parkrun on Saturday (31.05, not quite recovered from Friday!), then 6 miles today, VERY slowly, legs still felt like lead, and it was a stupid route with lots of uphill and it was very warm, but it was nice to be out image

Working/travelling for next 4 days so no running til parkrun on Saturday - apparently it's the 4 year anniversary of ours so we're running it backwards! (well, the *course* backwards, not *us* going backwards...) image

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Parkrun yesterday was a fiasco! Well, not *the* parkrun, which was fun and doing the route in the opposite direction made for a nice change image

But I was tired, have walked MILES this week, and yet again didn't drag myself out of bed in time for breakfast so stuffed bread and peanut butter into my gob about 15 minutes before it started... image

Wasn't as bad as last time, but about 1.5 miles in got rotten stomach pains again and had to walk for a bit. Eased off and I carried on running, but had to walk again later, and finished in quite a pathetic (for me, these days!) 33.45 image

So - clearly my nutrition strategy needs some work image Cereal bars seem to be best, especially for last minute stuffing in! Bread it seems is NOT good that close to the start. Hmm...

Not sure where I'll fit stuff in this coming week - I'm working every day (shocking, I know image ) and bizarrely found myself playing in a band for a show at the theatre in the evening image But I'll try to get out a couple of times at least!

• Options

It may be that bread isn't the ideal thing for you.  If cereal bars work then maybe stick with them for now.  It is very much a case of trial and error with these things tbh.

Even if you can only shoehorn in a mile or two it's better than nothing.  Sometimes too it can be easier to fit a couple of short runs in during a day than one longer one. 

Couple of tough trail races for me this weekend - feeling distinctly bashed now!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

strangely enough i've stuffed my face with scotch pancakes and french fancies today and wasn't gping to run at all but my sister persuaded me to and i did 4 miles with no tummy trouble at all!

i'll be very pleased if my ideal running nutrition is cake image (didn't go very fast today mind you...)

good plan to shoehorn in a mile or two here and there. May need advice about how to fit in enough long runs in the weeks i've got left... but busy watching the football so i'll worry about that later image

Do you ever rest Kaz?! image

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Its 79 days until Chester marathon and things are getting serious.  Well, slightly less laid back than usual anyway.

Last week's long run was 8 miles and wasn't actually too bad, although I've been visiting the queen so haven't ran this week yet - oops.  The plan is to run this evening and then my long 10 miles on Sunday, then back to the plan next week.

I think I've already done more training than last time!  How does that compare to your training Daffty?

• Options

you know Daffs, if it works then tbh it doesn't matter if it seems odd.  I've been known to have things like cake or malt loaf before a run.  May not be conventional but that doesn't matter.

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

I'll bear that in mind image I think i can stomach pretty muh anything before a long slow run, it's short fast ones that play havoc with my stomah it seems!

Fortunately there aren't too many of those...imageimage

NO running at all this past week (!) I just have barely been in the house for five minutes what with conferences, work travel and theatre nonsense.

starting to regret entering the bloody thing! Oh dear!

This time round was meant to be all about seeing just what i could do if i pushed myself... which clearly i'm incapable of...

Will run after work tomorrow, however much i don't feel like it, and Wednesday morning before we go away. I suppose i could even take running kit with me, didn't think of that!! (idiot!)

• Options

If you're doing a shorter faster run in the morning then maybe just eat a bit more the evening before and try not to have too much of anything before the run.  If in the evening have a bigger lunch.  I rarely eat much before a short run.

You're not getting the ideal training for this but with all the will in the world that sometimes happens.  Life has a habit of getting in the way!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Well I know full well Sister of Daffs up there has not done10 miles!! image

Neither have I...

BUT I did take running kit on holiday image and nipped out for a short 30 mins along the prom and ended up doing 8 miles image Felt like I could keep going for ages and ages (all I'd eaten was a slice of lemon cheesecake - didn't even have any water with me but it was evening and not hot). Turned round eventually cos we were meant to be going out for tea and I wasn't going to get back til gone 9pm!

Love it when that happens. Pretty sure I could have gone a few more miles (especially as it was flat!) but poor old Mr Daffs didn't know where I was and it was the first night of our holidays so I thought I'd best go back image

Didn't run any more on hols - but we did walk 10 miles the following day and 11 miles the day after that. Surely that must count for something!?! image

Lots of driving yesterday and collapsed in a heap when I got back.

Been out and about today, thought I wouldn't get chance for a run but I'm not going to get round the bloody marathon with that attitude so I put on my running kit and RAN to my chicken keeping course image

Got there and realised I'd forgotten my bra image so poor Mr Daffs had to drive the 3 miles I'd just run - came round the corner triumphantly waving it out of the window imageimage

Then ran another couple of miles to meet friend in the park, had baked potato and chilli and a cuppa, then ran another mile or so uphill home, absolutely desperate for a wee image

So 6 miles done, carrying a change of clothes in a rucksack. Not brilliant and certainly won't be breaking any speed records but it's 6 miles more than I would have done and I'm pleased I did it image

Suspect I'd run a lot more if I did it like this! Does it matter if some of my runs (obviously not all!) are broken up like this? Is it better to have shorter ones (ie 6 miles) broken up, or big long 10+ mile ones?

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Dr Daffs wrote (see)

Got there and realised I'd forgotten my bra image so poor Mr Daffs had to drive the 3 miles I'd just run - came round the corner triumphantly waving it out of the window imageimage

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

i know image not going to live that one down for a while. Every time I leave the house now he asks 'have you got your bra?' image

(i was wearing a sports bra, i hasten to add!! Far too enthusiastically-endowed to go without one of those!)

• Options

I was a little concerned about the non-bra wearing!!  Did make me chuckle though image

Those 'I'm just going to do a couple of miles.  Oops turned out to be longer' runs are great aren't they?!  I'm all for making hay while the sun shines!!

Whilst breaking up too many runs isn't ideal for stamina purposes, if that is the only way you're going to get the miles in then it's better than just binning training for that day.  I'd still try and get that long run in and, if needed, break some of the shorter runs down.  At the end of the day though you need miles in the bag you do need to be able to stay on your feet for 26.2 miles. image

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Indeed image

Been laughing about training plans with my sister today - we've both already done more miles than we did in preparation for the previous marathon and there's still 2.5 months left to go image

She sent me a text listing the 'long runs' she did before the last one (in miles) - 4,6,5,4,5,13,7,13,15,8 image and sometimes with several weeks in between, and the long run being the only run of that week image

No bloody wonder it took us 7 hours really - my training was better but not THAT much better! image

Anyway, dragged myself out of bed before 7am to do 5k before catching a train this morning, and 11 miles booked in for tomorrow image Will report back image