Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Comments

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Welcome Scott. Good luck on the training!

• Options

Stil plodding along in my slightly customised P&D plan. I did 8 miles yesterday at 30 secs per mile faster than marathon pace. Fees good knowing I am ok for the first 8 image only got to sort out the other 18 now image have ran between 13.1 and 14.5m for the last three Sundays. 

• Options

148.6m for January... Have to go out fora recovery jog tomorrow to get over 150 for the first month ever. Just hope I time it right, and don't burn out pre race image

it's only race I think I'm running with pacers, so looking forward to that was going to stick to 4:30 like glue, but am now thinking go with 4:15 see if I can stick with them to at least half way and slowly drop back but do my best to stay ahead of 4:30 group. 

• Options

If I stay with 4:15 to halfway I can loose a minute a mile and still be under 4:30image

Also if I do slightly shit or bust and it goes wrong can always just walk to the finish!image

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

booktrunk - are you going to race any warm up events to see where your pace is currently at?

• Options

Thinking about it, it's been suggested somewhere else that I should.  There is a local half at the end of March so might do that.  I could always just run a hard training run of 13.1m but it's never quite the same is it.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

No - I like the idea of smashing a half (Cambridge, 9th March) to give myself a good idea of where I am pace-wise. Obviously doesn't show how well you'll do on the run, but gives you a bit of an idea.

I toyed with doing it as a training run, but it's too hard without trying to catch someone just in front of you image

• Options

Scott, welcome aboard.

Booktrunk, neil, I've booked myself in for the MK Half in March and hoping for something near 80 mins.

Ini, thanks I think I'll have to do just that.

After 4 days resting the foot I went out for a 5 mile run yesterday (slightly too fast and stupidly trying out a pair of new racing flats)...... Pain againimage and tender today. I think I'll have to take at least another 7 days off and visit a physio, then reassess.

It wouldn't normally bother me but after not having a serious injury for over 12 months it's really frustrating to get injured now while training for my 'A' race.

Just need to try not to rush anything.image

• Options

I finally pulled my finger out and signed up for this as well as the Mk half in March. I really don't know what i'm in for.

I really want to aim for sub 4 hours. It's a tough target for a first marathon but i'm not far off ( i've done a sub 50 minute 10k and a 1; 52 half on a very windy and undulating course).

I started a bit late on my training plan and am only into the 3rd week. 

I have a phone GPS but I'm thinking an actual watch will really help with my pacing

• Options

I prefer a watch, and when it's pissing down well how long before you get a waterlogged phone image but it depends on if it's something you can afford to buy or not as it's a bit of a treat image 

signed up for my local half on 23rd March will be a good pointer like others have said. image

we will all be frantically looking at the McMillan running calculator after our respective halves image

• Options

Did the Gayton 10k last sunday. Only got 51 38 but I've never done a hillier 10k and the weather was absolutely terrible so I can't put much stock in the time. 

You're right about the half. That will be a real good indicator of where the training is heading.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

This was a lower mileage week on my plan- work threw a spanner in the plan so had to run Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which wasn't ideal as my ITB is still causing problems.

Today was a 1M jog, 5.5M fast, 1M jog effort-struggled first half but came home strong. Bring on the second month of training!

welcome kelvin - best of luck with the training.

• Options

Hello everyone. It's been a busy week so I couldn't update as much as I wanted. Thankfully I was able to get all my runs done. That's because I do my runs very early in the morning. I'll try and do brief summary of my runs in week 3.

28/01/2014 -6-mile Speedwork: 1 mile warm up, 3 x 1 miles @7:41, 7:39, 7:39 with 400 metres recovery in between, 1 mile cool down. These intervals were done at full blast, eyeballs out kind of pace hence the results. By the time I got to the last mile I just wanted to walk it. Phew!

29/01/2014 - 6- mile Steady run. I had to work at this one. Legs were a tad sluggish but I got it done.

30/01/2014 - 6-mile Progression run in the rain....

01/02/2014 - 5-mile easy run with strides in the last mile.

Today - 13-mile Long run. Thought about this run all day yesterday and what route to take. When it was time to do I went out there and just ran. And what a run it turned out to be. Hit the pace (9:20 - 9:30/min)from mile one and stayed with it. From mile 9 - 10 when I got to this big arse hill I had to slow down but amazingly I only dropped the pace to 9:57. Not bad - I guess I'm getting there.

• Options

38 miles for me this week, including a 13mile long run yesterday image Next week will include a 15miler and my highest total weekly mileage to date!

Kelvin- good 10km, sure the hills made it very hard.

Neil- hope the ITB stops causing you problems soon

Ini- welcome and that looks like a good weeks training

• Options

Very jealous of all the milage being put in!!!

Had it confirmed by the Physio that I have a problem with my Peroneal Tendon in my foot, apparently due to tightness all up my right side. Not too impressed with the physio though as it took him 40 minutes before he even looked at my foot.

My personal opinion is that it's a result of too much milage too close together with no rest days in between. Going to give it another week off with just cycling to work. So Frustrated!!!

• Options

Wow 38 miles. I'm only up to just under 30 for last week. Think I'm a little bit behind the curve. weather was much better today. hopefully a bit less rain this week

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry, kelvin, I had a lower mileage week and I'm around 25 miles at the moment. My body can't cope with much more so it's a gradual build up.

Hoping the weather stays like this - can't wait to get out and run!

• Options

Woohoo 10km PB 58:21 slow for most but hey it's my best image training is going well image

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Very nice booktrunk -  just keep it all going!

Had my first run in a month yesterday that didn't involve feeling sore during or afterwards - intense foam rollering seems to be sorting me out a little bit.

15 miles this weekend. Bring. It. On.

• Options

Nice PB book trunk image

Neil- things are looking promising for you hope the weekend long run goes well.

Iv had to reschedule a bit this week so got my long run of 15miles tomorrow 

• Options

Hi everyone, my first post on the site. I'm also doing MK which will be my first marathon. I've also got the a Reading half to look forward to in a few weeks time and a 10k the week before that! 

I've been following a HM training plan so far but this week will make the transition over to the RW sub 4:15 plan as it continues on nicely without a sudden mileage increase (29 miles last week, 30 this week then up to 35). Longest run so far is 12 miles last Sunday. I'm not sure whether sub 4:15 is a tad optimistic for me as my last 10k was 58:25 mins but I'm hoping there's still plenty of time for working on my pace, and will be happy if I get round in under 4:30 image.

• Options

Good luck Emjay I'm going to be around the same speed image

They have pacers for both 4:15 and 4:30 so maybe start with 4:15 and see how you feel? 

• Options
    Neil, good to hear you had a pain free run. I'm new to foam rolling but it definitely has only had positive results for me so far.

Book trunk, well done on the PB, always a bonus.

Welcome aboard Emjay. This is my first MK marathon and sounds like a decent one for a first marathon too.

First run in 9 days for me after pain in the perineal tendon. Lots of rolling and self massage seems to have done the trick, because although it was only four miles it was pain free!!

Just going to build up again slowly and cross my fingers!!

MK half is only 4 weeks away too.
  • Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

12 weeks to go now. Training starting to pick it up now - hope everyone enjoyed the blustery conditions this weekend!

I got to 15 miles for the first time but it was one of those runs where it just felt good and came back with a slight negative split, just under target LSR pace.

Next weekend is the next level - decided to go for a 'catered training run' that is the Stamford Valentine's 30k - 18.75 miles. A bit undulating but hoping to run it at training run pace (9:00).

• Options

Welcome Emjay and good luck with your training.

Congratulations on the PB Booktrunk

Leebe- good to hear your managed a pain free run image

Neil t- good luck for the 18.75 miles next weekend that should give you a good indication of how your training is going

15miles long run done at the weekend and 44miles last week for me, only 3 runs this week however as off skiing on thursday for just over a week.

• Options

Hi everyone, the organisers posted on Facebook today that their energy drink provider has stopped producing the cartons that they would have been giving out. What does this mean for us? I'm intending to use sis gels but probably would have picked up the odd isotonic drink as well.... Will I feel the difference if I stick with gels and water only?

• Options

Will be fine with gels n waterimage 

9m last night 11.3m tonight, feeling good.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

I saw that too, emjay. I was planning on picking up an isotonic drink towards the end of the race, but as I'm only training with water & gels, it's probably not a big deal. As you can imagine, the Facebook gang were ranting about it...

Good mileage being racked up by most people on here. Keep it going - days getting longer and nights getting shorter which means that we're getting there!

• Options

Thats a shame as normally do my longer runs with an Isotonic drink, sounds like will have to start using water. Looks like everyones training is going well despite this terrible weather. My training has taken a brake for over a week whilst I am skiing, so will have some catching up to do

• Options

43.3k over the last 3 days in under 4:31. So If I can put those runs together I've got it cracked the time for 42.2 of those km was around 4:24 which is pretty much spot on what I want a nice sub 4:30 Mara