Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Comments

• Options

Don't know if you guys have seen but they have a sports drink sorted now, its blackcurrant flavour Gatorade a miles 9, 15 and 21. As well as the recovery drink version available at the finish, longest run to date tomorrow morning (18miles), hope you all have a good weekend image

• Options

I never understand why races only manage to get 500ml bottles. I've seen people down the entire thing, assuming it's come from an official source, so must be alright.

I must admit I got shivers when I saw the mail saying we're only 6 weeks out now. I'm having to rejig quite a lot of my training in the coming weeks, and the upshot is that my first voyage over 15 miles is a 17.5 mile a week on Thursday. Feels like a lot of extra distance I'll need to find in just 4 weeks, so I can't pretend I'm not slightly worried at this stage.

• Options

Im in, just enteted, doing Oakley 20 Tomorrow so now have a race booked to try anh hit my PB. Good luck with long runs this weekend. 

• Options

I agree, 500ml bottles seem way too much and will no doubt cause a lot of waste!

Stephen - I'm doing Oakley tomorrow as well. Good luck. 

• Options

I have really hit a wall this week. After doing the MK half got a vomiting bug that killed my sunday long run. It was my sons 4th birthday party monday night and I've been looking after him since friday. I've only run 12 miles this week so far. Hoping to squeeze the 18-19 mile run in on sunday evening.

I should still be able to do the marathon but I think the sub 4 hours may be a bit too much to ask. Still there's always autumn for a another go.

• Options

Oh and p.s. even with all the training I've been doing in the past few weeks and months still not one blister image. I think I can easily say that working in a manual job and being on your feet all day helps toughen your feet up for running

• Options

After several months without blisters, they've arrived with gusto now. I currently have 4 on my left foot alone.

I've spent about £18 stocking up on Compeed in the last week.

• Options

Good luck Stephen and Jamie at Oakley tomorrow.

You've done well not to get any blisters kelvin, mine aren't great at the moment, hope you manage to fit some time in for training.

Ivor bad luck with the blisters!

• Options

I struggled with blisters to start with but somehow manage to do my long runs without them now! Probably due to a change of trainers and I discovered that spraying my feet before running with strong anti perspirant seems to keep them at bay. Also when possible I wear the old trainers for shorter runs. I get the odd tiny one on my toes but these don't bother me. 

Stephen & Jamie, hope the races go well today!

I'm resting today ready for my next shot at an 18 miler tomorrow. Really looking forward to it this week, my aim is to get around without stopping this time. Legs have been struggling this last week with the extra mileage and I seem to have pulled my hamstring slightly after I diverted Fridays run along a slippery canal path.  Gonna hit the foam roller this afternoon and go for a gentle walk to ease things off image

• Options

Managed 21 miles this morning. Felt like I could have gone on if pushed!

One thing I'm enjoying at the moment is making a point on every long Sunday run finding a least part of a route I've never run before. I like to do a virtual run using Google earth before to see where possible routes are. Anyone else do this?

• Options

Great run today at Oakley. Completed 20miles in 2hrs 48 min. Really pleased with time and even pace running despite all the hills. 

Blisters are a pain, check trainers/socks as first result.

Emjay999 good luck with run tomorrow

Alastair. Well done on 21 

Kelvin, u willb fine good to get bugs out way now still plenty of timebefore race.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Some good long runs there, people!

I sacked off my half marathon at target marathon pace as the cold I had on Friday just hadn't shifted and had got a lot worse by Sunday morning. It was a really tough decision - could have got round - but given how I felt I thought it was a wise call (this was not an important race at all). Hope to be back running tomorrow. It's a shame as I have been absolutely flying for the past two weeks but got to look at the bigger picture!

• Options

Hope the 18 mile went well Emjay, was longest run for me on Saturday at 18miles. Rest day today.

Well done Stephen thats a great run, looking in good shape.

Alastair great long run also image

Shame about the cold Neil, hope it goes away and doesn't hamper your running anymore.

6 weeks today people!!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

6 weeks today... eeek 3 weeks of decent training left.. and here's me thinking i'll be able to start some decent training in 3 weeks... Yikes image

• Options

Good running at Oakley Stephen, some of those hills were pretty challenging weren't they? The wind at times didn't help either! My first time at Oakley and I was chuffed with finishing 9th in 2:04, giving me good confidence for 6 weeks time.

Must admit, I am looking forward to the taper in 3 weeks, though I bet I'll change my mind when the miles are going down and I'm getting irritable!

• Options

Great running Jamie.

how many more long runs. R u oing to do. Im off to Thailand for Easter so long runnung could b a challenge.  Going to try and get 2 more long runs in before I go and then do some fast short runs when im away. Im not going to taper to much as it doesnt work for me. Thoughts? 

• Options

I'm going to see if I can bang in at least two more 20 milers. I'll see how I feel. Just got to keep plugging away for the next 3 weeks. It's too early to get lazy!

Booktrunk: I signed up for Loch Ness again yesterday. Are you doing it?

Well done Jamie, always good to get a half in pre-marathon,

Anyone got any ideas on target times yet?

• Options

Still 4 week of solid training for me, only planning a 2 week taper. With regards to target times, hopefully 3.30 based on my half time, but don't think I will really know till I run it, what with it being my first marathon.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Wow some great times here.

Jamie - 9th! That's a great effort! Must be a huge confidence booster for MK, especially with 6 weeks still to go.

Stephen - sounds like you'll be in good shape before your break though - guess you'll just keep it ticking over. If you've got time before the race when you get back, a 15 miler or so might be helpful?

Alastair - I'm the same - got 2 more 20 milers and also a 22 on the plan. Get through those and then I'll feel very confident to get round.

Scott - what's your half time? I'm wrestling with the same dilemma - did 1:34 a few weeks ago which on paper puts me around 3:20ish, but for a first time marathon I'm wondering whether 3:30 is still too aggressive...

• Options

Cheers Neil and Stephen.It was a big confidence booster, especially considering the profile of the course and with MK being flatter than Oakley, things are currently looking good.

I've got one more 20 miler in the plan with a couple of 17/18 milers. My target time for MK is 2:50.

• Options

Well done to Jamie and Stephen! 

18 miles went well yesterdayimage, legs feeling much stronger this time around and I probably could have carried on for another couple if I'd wanted to but I'll save that for this coming Sunday. Was scheduled to do my second split, 9 miles, at marathon pace (9:30 for me), managed most of this I think with the exception of where I've stopped for ped crossings or loo break but will wait until I've uploaded my garmin to properly assess how I've done. But it felt great picking up the pace regardless. Really looking forward to getting the first 20 miler under my belt now this Sunday image.  Over the weekend I paid particular attention to eating more and upping my carb intake which I think has helped massively, didn't feel ill afterwards this time lol.

I'm scheduled to do a half marathon the weekend after this one, I couldn't find one near me with spaces so I'm signed up to do the 20k at Eton Dorney instead. After that it's one more 20m for me before I taper. Looking forward to beginning taper however in a strange kind of way the confidence boost from yesterday is making me really look forward to the longer runs now.  I think I'll miss them once this is all over!!

• Options

Neil- my half time was 1.35 but that was back in October so should have improved since then, but really don't know what to expect with this being my first marathon, fingers crossed sub 3.30 though! 

Wow Jamie 2:50 is super quick!

Sounds like we are around the same level of progress in our plans Emjay, 20 miler for me too this weekend. 

• Options

Cheers Scott, 2:50 is the plan but I had to cut my 9 mile run short this morning due to soreness on the top of my left foot. Only managed 4 miles then decided to be sensible and head home. It feels bruised and as though my laces are done up too tight, even though they aren't. Time for some self-diagnosis on Google I think and a few days unplanned rest. Hoping it's just from Sunday's Oakley race and I'll be alright for Sunday's long run this weekend.

Good luck with your 20milers Scott and Emjay!

• Options

Did a sensible easy 6mile run last night after Oakley 20. Going to mix ina few tempo runs over next few weeks. I find these help me when it comes to the weekend long run. Weekend run will be someting between 12/16 miles.

Thake it easy Jamie good idea to take a few days off. Looks like Scott and yourself could run together on the day?

Emjay u must b feeling happier, always a great confidence boost to get agood long run in. 

Oh well back to work!!!

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

A general question for the crowd - my plan has 4 x 20 milers (which I will hopefully do all of) but maxes out with a 22 miler. All of these are due to be at "slow" pace (1 min/mile than target marathon pace).

Due to time constraints the weekend of the 22 miler, I'm tempted to throw in an 18 miler but with 10 miles at "slow" and 8 miles at target marathon pace.

Is this likely to be comparable? An easier effort, or a harder effort? Really pushed for time that weekend as the wife is doing Brighton marathon...!!

• Options

Sensible stuff Jamie, hope its nothing serious.

Good work Stephen must be feeling the hard 20 from the weekend

Neil- what your suggesting sounds good, running at marathon pace is needed. 4 x 20milers in your plan is impressive mines only got 2, also best lic to the wife doing Brighton image

• Options

Neil, good plan ref 18miler its not the quantity its the quality thats important.

If u can I would suggest 3 midweek 10/12 mile runs at quicker than MP but nottempo. This makes a huge differance to how u feel when u do ur long run.

I went out this morning and completed just over 6 miles at MP. Starting to do more runsat this pace or quickertoget legs used to pace. Im going to try and beat my PB of 2hrs 33min, is anyone aiming to run 3:30 (8min pace) if so could meet up at race and pace ourselves. Talking of pacets r there going to b any pacers out there?

• Options

Must learn to read my post and check for mistakes before hitting done button!!!!!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Haha Stephen I did 5.4m at above marathon pace tonight image hoping my LSR will be nice n easy on Sunday 

• Options

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there will be pacers, but I wouldn't hold me to that