Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like there'll be plenty of us P&D-ers there then! Good luck with the training
  • Options
    Great stuff. First time sticking (hopefully!) to a plan, and the P&D setup looked to be well tested and received. Did Florence in November (highly recommended) and surprised myself with a 3h24...would love to drop under 3h20 in AMS.
  • Options
    I got a 3.13 off it last time and ran the race cautiously, so I'm hoping to get closer to 3.10 this time. It was the first time I really enjoyed the feeling of having loads of energy at the finish so I think it made a difference to my performance
  • Options

I'm a first-timer so I've got nothing to compare with. I just know its going to be painful and I'm hoping that with good training its going to be a little less painful than I'm anticipating.

Hoping to go sub 3, but will have a better idea of how realistic that is as we get closer to the race. I have been training for the training program for the past month or so to get used to the mileage so hopefully that'll help a bit.

And whatever happens, the spa is 2.2km from the finish line. I measured it before I entered. Get over the finish line and into the hot-tub, that's my plan.

• Options

First 8 days of the P&D 18/55 schedule out of the way - no complaints so far! How is everyone else getting on? Any injuries/niggles to speak of? What races (if any) do you plan on doing during the build up? I've got a HM in Sept (Maidenhead) and possibly another one in late July (if I'm feeling up for it).

• Options

My marathon build up wont start for a few weeks, still focusing on 5k and 10k races over the summer. Have a half in the middle of August but am managing to maintain a run of about 15 miles once a week so I am not starting from too far back. Hoping for a sub 3.30 in Amsterdam.

• Options

Hi, I'm doing P&D 18/55 too - got a half in late August and I'll have something in September.  Hoping for 3.10 and so far so good

• Options
    Jimbo76Jimbo76 ✭✭✭

First day of a 16 week programme started today (well technically it starts tomorrow but I've started early!). Nice little 5 miler to get things going. Aiming to beat last years 3.16, but know it'll be tough with work and family commitments. Hope everyone else's training is going well.

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Wow you guys are all going for super quick times. Feel like the slowby of the thread only aiming for a lowly sub 4 hours.
  • Options

Hey Uluru, there's nothing lowly about sub 4 hours - it hurts just as much!  Good luck with your training.

• Options

Well the first couple of weeks were a shambles but I managed 18km home from work last night and 22km back into work this morning and that's made me feel a bit better about things. Legs are tired and sore and stiff and complaining now though!

26km is the longest I've ever gone and 42km still seems like a crazy superhumanly long distance at this point. I just hope I'm feeling a lot better at 22km on race day than I was today!

On a separate issue, how do we feel about playing football on rest/cross training days? It's not exactly running, but its not exactly not running either...

• Options

After following the program you'll be surprised just how different you feel on race day; that's why it takes 18 weeks to get there, sure you'll be fine.

Don't know about playing football though, but I'd say try not to pick up any injuries and make sure the marathon remains your ultimate goal.

• Options

Given that generally I feel quite fit these days and 42km seems like sheer madness, I'm quite looking forward to how I'm going to feel when I'm in good enough shape to run the whole thing (quite fast). I'm going to be full of beans!

• Options

You'll be amazed at how slow your goal pace feels on race day (nowhere near as difficult as the MP sessions you do on your own in training).  The secret is to stick with it because 20 miles down the road it'll still be great and you'll be passing so many people who didn't hold back. 

We've only just begun the program so you won't be ready for 26.2 at race pace yet - that's why we need 18 weeks!  It'll all fall into place as the weeks go by.........

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Thank you Miss Kovich.

Did a lovely off road 13 miles today. First real week of training this week. Was resting after Edinburgh. Had plenty of energy left at the end so that's a good sign image

• Options

Gotta love the Monday off-days!

Watch decided to stop counting around 17km yesterday which is a bit annoying of it, cos my HR climbed quite a lot in the last 30mins and I'd like to at least know I was going at a pace to justify it.

Thinking of switching my long run to Friday evening this week as I'm doing Tough Mudder on Sunday and I don't think its really long enough. Long run is due to be 29km and I'd rather do the whole distance (in one go) if I can to help build my confidence that my legs won't fall off on what will be a 2:20 ish length run

• Options

I have also booked Amsterdam and just booked my accommodation yesterday 

Staying in NH Carlton Amsterdam which is about 3miles from the start but more in the centre of Amsterdam so I can enjoy abit of Amsterdam too 

I've stayed in this chain of hotels before and they are usually ok

They also have a bike rental option so may hire a bike and bike to the start as have been told due to the road closures its hard to get near to the start by public transport as they close the roads off 

If anyone wants to book the same hotel that would be great we can meet up before for a pasta fuel meal lol 

apprently the public transport is good over there and you can get public transport from the airport to the centre pretty easy 

I'm also going to take everything in hand luggage due to it being a faff waiting for suitcases to come through, with  handluggage you are on and off the plane very quickly

Look forward to seeing some of you there, Amsterdam will probably be marathon number 50 for me ( got a few more to do before then including Bournemouth )

• Options

"A few more to do" before Amsterdam?! That's some serious addiction you've got going on there.

• Options

I know Tom, I clearly hang around with the wrong people who keep talking me into running another marathon lol 

Races before Amsterdam are 

Race to the Stones

Railway ultra

Wolverhampton Marathon

Bournemouth Marathon

Yorkshire Marathon 

I've heard that Amsterdam is flat hahaha i'm pleased about that, I am seriously considering hiring a bike and cycling to the start will be nice to bike back to and good for the old legs 

• Options

Are you just permanently marathon training? Or have you done so many at this point that you don't need to do anything special to prepare for one?

Don't you need any recovery time after a marathon?

• Options

Each marathon run is a training run lol and then my taper is the time in between 

I think I have hung around with too many marathon nutters, I am a baby compared to some who seem to run one every week and some nutters run 10 marathons in 10 days lol 

I'm not quite to that standard but my aim is getting to the 100Marathon club 

• Options

Those who have run before - any advise on spectators?  Obviously, there is the start and finish at the stadium which will be great.

Looking at the map, it would seem like the start, then somewhere between the 10-15km marker as they can then nip over the river to the 25km mark before going back to the stadium for the finish?  Easily do-able?  Are the crowds mammoth in these areas?

• Options
    GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Callum - send them out to Stadionweg as you will do an out and back along here providing they go east past the red loop on the course map (5-10k) so they can watch you twice on this section as you head out and back. Head out to the 30k marker by a tall tower a few folk gather here and head back to the finish either inside or outside the stadium depends how close they want to be to you, closer at the roadside than in the stadium. Support is sporadic for most of the middle section but plenty of runners to spur you on. The river section was a nice too.

Once at the start, twice between 5 and 10k, once at 30k and then at the finish making five viewings in all. Metro will be open but tram services near the route will be closed or diverted.

• Options

Perfect, thanks very much!  Stadionweg looks good now you mention it, might go for there then they can toddle to the 10k mark at Churchillaan, then the 30k as you say before the finish.

Managed a 15miler yesterday just below target MP without any problems, so hoping thats a good sign!

Hope everyones training is going well.

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Had a shorter run this weekend. Only 13 miles, felt really easy. I went a bit too quickly as I decided just to run to how I felt. Ended up equalling my half marathon PB. Fingers crossed that bodes well for October.
  • Options

trying to find accommodation in AMS....Been there 3x times and that is the only thing I can remember: really expensive....

training so far going well. 

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

We've ended up booking on AirBnB. 1 bed apartment about a mile from the start. Hotels looked really expensive

• Options

I have to pull out of the marathon and have a place available if anyone knows of someone looking for one?

thanks

• Options

Booked AirBnB too, albeit far away from the stadium.....To be honest I prefer rather than hotel because you can cook your own food rather than eat out....

• Options

Has anyone got a Half registration they would like to transfer. Amsterdam will be my first, and at the moment it's just me, but my friend would like to do it with me. Much appreciated.