Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2014

124»

Comments

• Options

Yes, weather etc does look good. Really excited about this one, see you all there.

• Options

carb loading is coming nice...

pacing team are gathering together at the roundabout south of the Olympic Stadium - http://webmanager.runnersweb.nl.kpnis.nl/upload_mm/0/5/0/8965_fullimage_MarathonAmsterdam_verzamelen.jpg

ready now and can't wait for the race....flying tomorrow...

good luck all

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Flying tomorrow too. Good luck everyone hope you all achieve your goals and enjoy the race.
  • Options

Anybody still looking for a bib? Have a full marathon bib for sale...

• Options
    Jimbo76Jimbo76 ✭✭✭

How did people get on then?

This was my second Amsterdam marathon and I really enjoyed it, but lost 12 minutes on last years time. Not sure why, had done more training mileage and yet I always seemed a little bit behind. Not to worry.

I thought it was another really well organised event, great atmosphere in the stadium at the start, and good support along the way. Grateful for the foil wrap at the end!

Hope you got the times you wanted and enjoyed it too.

• Options

I too found the event to be very organised and the volunteers were amazing providing the sponges and drinks. Can only concentrate on positives about the event....

The only thing that "annoyed" me was people elbowing you trying to overtake you on the narrow strips of the course.

Personally I had some knee pain in the last 5K which I believe my own fault as I was probably over-striding and not concentrating on cadence. Result wise was within I was looking for, so really happy and looking forward to re-start training....

Missed recovery run yesterday, so I must go out after work later today... image

Please share your experiences!!!

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Loved the event. Had a good run although faded horribly at the end and the last 3 miles were a death march although I managed to keep pace under 10 min miles and didn't walk at all while loads around me were.

My running buddy wrote the attached report which you may find of interest ...

http://www.flyerssouthend.co.uk/amsterdam-2014-a-review/

• Options
    Jimbo76Jimbo76 ✭✭✭

Excellent article, thanks for sharing it. Glad you all enjoyed it.

• Options

I had a 'mare of a race - despite spot on training and tapering my legs felt shot after only 5k...the remaining 37k were a bit of a chore. Finishing time was a full 30mins down on where I hoped/trained to finish - but the course/organisation was excellent. Bit of a squeeze to get into the stadium on time (maybe start outside and finish inside a.la Stockholm?), and the out and back along the Amstel was a bit dreary...although I'm sure my frame of mind during the run wasnt its best!

Can also recommened airbnb.com for accomodation - our apartment was stunning, only 20mins walk from the start near the Vondelpark - much better than nondescript hotel chains.

Hope everyone else did well and got what they wanted. Where next eh? Anyone done Copenhagen?

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    Solecrusher I echo pretty much everything you've said. I had a nasty asthma attack just after 20km, which was pretty horrible. I didn't know if I could get back to the start so after about 7 mins started running slowly again and finished but was 25 minutes slower than what I should have been.

But I thought the marathon was really well organised and the level of support around the course was fantastic.

We also stayed in a airbnb apartment about 20 mins from the start close to Vondpark. It was lovely and made it feel like were experiencing real Amsterdam.
  • Options

lloydr: nice blog from your mate. What a great time you guys had in AMS...

solecrusher: sorry to hear that you had issues since km5. Hope you are back into training for the next events...

Uluru: sorry to hear about your issues. 25min slower is a great result considering the circunstances. I hope you bounce back in your next marathon.

I also stayed in a airbnb accomodation; however I rented an attic and shared the kitchen/bathroom. The young professional couple was very welcoming and a pleasure to stay with.

• Options
    Jimbo76Jimbo76 ✭✭✭

The official website review of the race suggests conditions were tough and it slowed the elite runners. I didn't feel it was all that bad, but maybe I underestimated conditions and have been overly critical of my time. What do others think, any impact or maybe just for the elites. It was a bit blowy, particularly the middle section, and unseasonably warm, but it was hardly hot

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

A few people who we met after the race (6-7 in total from different groups) and some of my much more talented friends ( 4 of them) did say they also found it more difficult than expected and their times had suffered.Though they were saying by 3-10 minutes not 25 like me. They mentioned wind and humidity as reasons why they thought their times weren't as expected. Be interesting to hear what others think.

But I'm sure a lot of people still got PB's in the race.

• Options

For me, I felt it was a bit humid hence me drinking more water/electrolytes and using sponges at several stations. Having said that it is no excuse for my time. 

I did not achieved my ultimate goal, but happy to achieve my intermediate goal.

Now back training to improve performance, but most importantly to keep enjoying running.

• Options

Interesting that others found it tough, I did too but couldnt really put my finger on why that was. I know I was very very thirsty during the race and lost a lot of time at the drinks stations so I knew I lwasnt going to make the time I wanted, maybe that affected me mentally, but I was a good 6-7 mins down on what | expected to be able to do. 

Enjoyed the race though, well organised, I never register the surroundings much anyway.

I arrived on Friday night and flew back Monday, If I do this again I am going to arrive Saturday and stay till Tuesday as I spent a lot of time on my feet on Sat which I shouldnt have done but didnt want to miss the chance to see the city on such a warm day

• Options

Hi all. I did the half, it was a bit of a struggle and I was 5 min or so down from what I had hoped for.

Reasons (excuses!) It was warm and humid. I didnt take on enough fluid on the run (a lot of the cups were half full). I walked way too much on Saturday and the later start made it hard to work what to eat and when. I felt like I was managing my legs the whole way round with lots of little niggles coming and going. I wonder whether walking on cobbled streets on Saturday didnt help that.

Otherwise, it was a fantastic day and I will go back again, maybe even next year. The event is very well organised and it was great to watch the end of the elite Marathon then getting ready for the off on the half.

• Options

Hi all, I've lurked for a while but thought I'd respond here as this was my first marathon!  My username will give away the fact that I'm no spring chicken so I wasn't looking for a fast time by any means although good training runs and really strong 20 milers had given me a hope of a 4hrs 30 finish...until two weeks before when I developed a shin splint!

On the day ironically the shin splint was fine but I was hit by a complete swerve ball at 11 miles when my IT band started to hurt and man did it hurt!  My target quickly went out of the window and I just focused on finishing and after having to stop and stretch the ITB at every KM marker I did finish in 5.03 which, given the circumstances, I was happy with.  

Loved the course although I found the industrial part after the Amstel section a bit soul destroying but then I was in huge amounts of pain at that point so that probably has some bearing on that!  The stadium finish was hugely emotional and the tears started to flow with 500m to go so you can imagine how glamorous I looked in the finish line photo covered in tears and snot!

Will definitely go back and have another crack at it though and hopefully without injury next time image

• Options

Well done creakyoldbones! Marathons are painful enough as they are without having ITB issues too. Great effort. 

I agree about industrial section being a bit lifeless although by the later stages I can barely lift my head up anyway!

Good luck next year.