Options

Wednesday session

Last nights session after visit to doc was completed with renewed vigour. Completed 9 x 550 metres in average 1:47 with 2 minutes rest between, total running one hour.

Today

What: 45-60 minutes cycling.
Why: New regime to balance up muscles (see seperate thread).
Days since hard: yesterday
Days since rest: 2

Comments

• Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: 3 x 4 x 300m repeats at track
    Why: Key speed session for the week which is made so much easier as there will be quite a large group of us doing it.
    Last hard day: Monday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Options
    What: Yateley 10K
    Why: to get nearer 40 minutes
    Last Hard Day : Saturday
    Last Rest : Yesterday

Is this taper to long. It feels like it
  • Options
    Good luck Blue Knees.

What: 400m front crawl, and stability exercises in pool. Oh yes and walk the dog.
    Why: Need a rest day, although given my natural talent at front crawl, that's a misnomer.

The dog, by way of apologizing for her outrageous behaviour yesterday, today, in her role of alarm clock enforcer, brought me my running shorts!
  • Options
    good luck BK
    what - rest day!! (sitting in front of the tv watching Lord of the Rings tonight...I may be some time)
  • Options
    Thanks Fraggle, Stickless. Fraggle,does the current DVD version of LOTR have the additional material not shown in the released version.
  • Options
    I have no idea - will let you know tomorrow (daren't get it out to look at or the 4 year old will want to watch it, and I've only just weaned him off Harry Potter!!) It's got two dvd's so I suspect it's got about 10 hours extra stuff on it!!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    What : Yateley 10k
    Why : 'cos it's tonight
    Last hard run : Sunday
    Last Rest day : Friday

• Options
    What: probably 5 miles in ~32 mins; maybe a bit less
    Why: Don't feel up to hammering another one just yet; want to see how low an average HR I can do this at. The year I did my best 10Ks (1996), I did this fairly regularly without recording an unduly high average HR
  • Options
    Another warm hazzy day :0)

What : 1500m front crawl (steady)
    Why : 'cos its swim day
    Last hard day: Yesterday (10k @ 90%MHR)
    Last rest day: Saturday

Will
  • Options
    Wildwill

How does your time for a 10k at 90% MHR compare to a race? I am thinking at the moment that I need a long "tempo" run every two weeks or so and trying to think about the best pace. Does it leave you completely sh***ed for the rest of the week?

Currently my tempo runs are 2 x 14 mins at about 87% MHR.
  • Options
    Martin

Yesterdays training run was at 10k race pace I normally do this as a tempo training session monthly, especially if all my races have been longer distances or Tri’s.

The result of this session is that my calf muscles are normally shredded for the rest of the week, but after advice from my osteopath I now hose them down with cold water for about 10 minutes after stretching and then soak in a hot bath. I now find that the shredded feeling only lasts a couple of days and since I train in 3 sports this is not a problem

During the run I smashed my 10k PB but I wont count it as it was not during a race, I have two 10k races this month so I am hopping to set a new PB and peek for a Tri at the start of September.

Will
  • Options
    PS to the above

A normally try to wait a couple of hours between the cold therapy and the hot

Will
  • Options
    BK, Dustin, best of luck in your race. Looking forward to your reports.

What: Probably 8-9 miles this evening, none of it very fast.

Why: Prospective training partner hopes to be available tonight, but thinks that 4 miles of walking with a few gentle jogs will be quite enough for her. I've planned a 4-mile circuit from her house, and if I run the 2.5 miles there and back I'll get my cardio workout in. If she calls off again, I'll do 6.6 miles against the clock then have a swim.

Last hard day: Saturday.

Last rest day: Friday.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: 3-4 mile fartlek
    Why: I want to be like Paula, so I need to do some speed work.

Last hard: Yesterday (7.1 miles, 71.5 minutes (PB!))
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Agreed, Nessie - wasn't Paula phenomenal last night? Averaged 3 minute kilometres: the best I can manage is about 4 minutes per kilometre and then I usually burn out after about three!

What - 3 x 1 kilometre fast with recoveries in between of the same amount of time it took to run each kilometre (if that makes sense).
    Why - To get an idea of how fast I can reasonably run 1K with recoveries. As I get fitter and faster I'll add another 2 intervals and decrease the recovery time.
    Last hard - Long run Sunday.
    Last rest - Monday.

Last night's session was a bit of a no-go - intended 3.5 miles steady, but burned out after 2. Under a lot of pressure with attemped property purchase at present and have just been hit by a demand for an extra £2K from the seller, even though the three months it has already taken is entirely their solicitor's fault for continually failing to provide requested papaerwork to my solicitor. Felt too tired both physically and mentally to run well. Watching Paula later on has re-inspired me and after a good sleep last night I feel a lot better today.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Minkin, good luck with tonight's session (may just do the same one myself.

Lots of sympathy on the house buying front. Make sure you ask for details of why they think they can screw you for an extra £2k if you have previously agreed a price (assuming you did) and hit them with a counter demand for part of your legal fees caused by their solicitor's tardiness. (I'm in a bit of a bolshie mood today, and generally just HATE greedy people)
  • Options
    I recently bought a house in Germany - what a contrast to the UK.

Basically very straightforward - both buyer and seller must have the same solicitor - these are state appoited guys so no shopping around. No exchange of contracts just straight to completion.
    Everything done on a handshake and the seller let us move in before we had paid the money!

The world used to be a simpler place - personally if someone tried to stiff me for an extra 2k I would pull out on principle.

Good luck
  • Options
    Don’t you just hate school holidays, went to the pool and had to use a smaller 20m adult only pool, 75 lengths – pretty dizzy when I got out – and you still get the blue rinse mob who feel a pool is somewhere to stand around and talk and tut at you f you happen to splash them as you are forced to swim around them.

Well, that was my gripe for the day |-(

Will
  • Options
    What: The usual 21 mile midweek bike
    Why: (In full Freddie Mercury voice) "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike ...etc"
    Days since last hard run: 1 (tuesday)
    Days since last rest: 2(monday)

Good weather here for a quick ride at lunchtime. Managed a 20.0 mph average so can't have been too wrecked after last nights fartlek club run.

mm
  • Options
    Will

We have an iron man here in Frankfurt next week and some work colleagues are training - only one problem, in a lot of pools in Germany they do not allow freestyle, hence lots of recreational triathletes in Germany actually do breaststroke!
  • Options
    Martin

I raced a couple of weeks ago in Newcastle and the swim was in the river Tyne, the problem was that the river was fast moving so the up stream was almost impossible and the down stream you moved like a bullet.

A couple of guys doing breast stroke eventfully had to be pulled out after 45 min and only covering about 50m, felt sorry for them as in that 50m they most of swam around 2000m

Why don’t they allow front crawl?

Will
  • Options
    Actually will I have no idea - its typical German is all I can say and in terms of social foh-pah it ranks quite highly. Weird really as their other swim pool favorite is wondering round starkers - not an attractive sight given the German predilection for sausage eating and prominent bodily hair!
  • Options
    errrr...what's walking round naked got to do with sausage eating??????
  • Options
    No front crawl in the pool? Wonderful! I think shall come and join you in Germany, Martin.

Do they, perchance, ban butterfly stroke too? One average-sized man doing butterfly can set up a tidal wave that engulfs everyone else in the pool.

Cheers, V-rap (who never learned to do anything apart from breast-stroke).
  • Options
    ps. I don't have a blue rinse, and would rather contend with a pool full of front crawlers and butterfliers than the "fairy ring" of tubby women who think that standing in the pool talking counts as exercise.
  • Options
    V-rap, you see the same sort of thing in the gym to, where they walk at 5km/h for forty minutes having a chat.

BTW, did you want help posting that picture or have you decided not to.
  • Options
    I would love some help, BK - it's a great pic and getting it up has defeated me. When I tried, a message came up saying that it was the wrong sort of file.

I can't see the point of those leisurely ambles on the treadmill. Going out for a walk, even in stinky old Brum, has got to be more fun than that. The machine-hogs who annoy me most are the ones who seem to think that the resistance machines were installed so that they can have a little sit-down and a drink and put the world to rights. Looking scary has its advantages at times like these.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    I'm surprised by it being the wrong sort of file because it was the same format as the one I did for the Lamb earlier.

Trying saving the raptor4 file to your C drive. When you press Change your face it should prompt you to browse for the file. Select the file from wherever you saved it and then press upload.

Apologies if you've done all this. E-mail me if you're still having problems and I'll help you out tomorrow. I'm off to that race at Yateley now.
  • Options
    That's nothing like what I tried to do. I shall give it a go.

All the best for your race.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    Thanks a million, BK. As you can see, your suggestion worked. Now everyone will recognise me at the GNR.

Anyway, back to the point - training.

My friend called off, so I went out and did my undulating (not hilly - where Laura hails from is hilly) quarter-marathon. Smashed my previous new PB to pieces - down to 72min 20sec from just over 80mins - that, according to my abacus, is 10min 58sec miles. It ain't Paula Radcliffe territory, but, as my mother says, if ah wiz chocolate ah'd eat masel'.

More importantly, I ran it all - even the ups - apart from half a dozen scheduled walking breaks.

Now I'm sitting in front of the computer with a bowl of pasta and pesto, the promise of ice-cream to follow, and a big endorphined-out grin on my face.

Cheers, V-rap.