Options

Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

Comments

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    If you're updating the table put me down for 1:46:56 for half and 4:14:48 for full.

Now into midweek league 10k season.

I've entered Bournmouth today. These marathons are getting expensive!
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Yellow - welcome along!

I've continued to have a difficult time training-wise. Ever since early March it has been a string of different injuries, illnesses, niggles and other commitments which have massively disrupted my training. Had been hoping to run a 10 mile race next weekend to get another time on the board, but am going to back out of this as I haven't done anywhere near enough training recently to do myself justice. Think I would be lucky to run less than 85 minutes at the moment.

• Options

I think you should take me off the table!image

• Options
    Hey Andrew, sorry you've been having a difficult time, know well how that feels! Keep the faith and be patient, things will settle down and you'll soon be back on form image

Been feeling pretty flat myself since Boston, I think the illness, time off and the tough time I had on the day really took it out of me. Since then I took a whole week off and then been running 3 times a week. So far built long run back up to 10 miles but have done no speed work yet. In theory I should be starting formal marathon training for Berlin in 1 week but not sure if I'm ready yet! Need to proceed with caution image I have Vitality (used to be BUPA) 10k in 2 weeks so guess that will be a good test but I am not expecting anything too much just yet!

Some good news - Manchester have emailed people with adjusted times after the discovery that the course was a bit short (based on your pace for last 6 miles) and I've been given 3:54:59! Means a lot as means I still BQd by 1 second image Apparently they are working to see whether Power of 10 etc will accept new times...
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Another sub 50min 10k on Tuesday night. 48:54. I hadn't felt great all day and everyone in my house is suffering with some mystery bug.

They're pretty much cracked now think I really should be sub 47 now. I just have the Trent Triffic Trail on my list of sub 50s to break now. Always hot and hilly. I'll beat it one day.
  • Options
    Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭

Congrats Tim! 

I've got a couple of 5k attempts coming up. Otherwise nothing to report 

• Options
    Well done Tim!

Official Berlin marathon training starts tomorrowimage
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I've entered Bournmouth. Not sure when my training will start.
  • Options

4 x 800m for me this evening. Thought it was about time to try some quicker stuff with a 5k race fast approaching. Reps came out at 6:40 pace so fairly happy. Whole session including 400m jog recoveries was 3 miles @ 7:30 so not far off my 5k target.

I'd forgotten how exhilarating speed work can be (and how quickly I get very hot and sweaty!)

How's everyone's training coming along?

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

I was all set to follow Rich's suggestion, and was all set for a Park Run last Saturday, until the other half reminded me of the domestic chores I had on my list. The good news is that 5 minutes on the internet revealed the Wallingford Thames Run 5k on the Sunday morning with on-the-day entries a possibility.

The bad news, there's a 10k and 5k version, with the 10k runners all setting off just before the 5k, hence a lot of slower 10k runners to weave around.

The good news, most of the serious runners opt for the 10k, so my 23:04 time was not only a PB but was good enough for an age-group first place! image 

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

...oh, but the other bad news is that having done a couple of workouts this week, I fear I've got a case of the shin-splints (of the medial tibial stress variety). I was due a tempo run today, but am sticking to ice and rest for a few days to see if it eases up.

• Options

Lots of good and bad news there yellow! Congrats on the pb and first place.  Hopefully a couple of days rest will fix the shins.

I had my first 5k attempt in over a year at my local parkrun on saturday. After deciding to jog the mile and a half down to longrun meadow as a warm up, I got half way there and realised I'd forgotten my barcode! So I ran back, quickly jumped on my bike and cycled down. Arriving just as the briefing ended I made my way to the start line a little flustered.

I made sure I was pretty close to the front as there is a narrow bridge after 400m that can be a bit of a pinch point. I had decided to try and head out at 7 minute miles and just try and hang on as long as possible. 1st mile was bang on 7 minutes, and I already felt like I'd gone off a bit quick. It was pretty muggy and I was hot already!

The course is two laps and at the end of the first I fell in behind someone doing roughly the same pace and decided to let them drag me along for a the middle section. 2nd mile was 7:08, and I was feeling somewhat relaxed despite labored breathing. I had 22 minutes as a target in the back of my mind and tried to hold my pace and save a bit for a sprint towards the end when we got onto the short paved section.

With half a km to go I overtook the guy I was following and tried to pick up the pace, 20 seconds later and I felt like I was going to vomit. I had to stop as I wretched a couple of times (and was glad I decided to stick to just a coffee for breakfast). Luckily nothing materialised and I actually felt ok and started to run again. Mile 3 flashed up at 7:12 and I just couldn't do the maths to work out how close I was to 22 minutes.

I managed to pick up the pace a little for the final scraps but didn't really hit the sprint I was aiming for (as I really didn't want to be sick on the volunteers at the finish line!) 6:32 pace for the .1 of a mile and across the line in 22:05. No real disappointment in just missing out on 22 minutes as I'd given it absolutely everything and still taken a big chunk off my pb. 52nd place and 3rd place in my age group.

Sore calf yesterday, but seems to have settled today. Going to head out now and see if I can get a longish jog in.

Another 5k race next weekend - however I've heard its not officially measured and quite hilly but possibly short, so I'll use it for a bit of race practice (and an excuse to eat the cake they lay on at the finish!)

Hope everyone's had a great bank holiday weekend?

• Options

Well done Rich! Left yourself a good target to aim for as well.

• Options
    Great work Yellow and Rich! Love your race report, Rich, it made me chuckle - I have been somewhat forgetful too on race daysimage

Vitality London 10k for me today. Wasn't expecting much as haven't done any speed work since Boston. First 0.5 mile very frustrating as couldn't get below 9.5 min/mile pace as very crowded. But then things freed up and was really surprised to be able to hit and maintain roughly 7:50 pace for the rest of the race. Sadly the slow start and plenty of weaving meant I ended up with 51:18 but still it felt like a big confidence booster for my marathon training, as I've been feeling very slow recently.

Also managed to persuade my husband to enter! He was quite a serious runner in his school days (early teens) - competed at county level, but ended up hating it as he was pushed so hard and not allowed to do other things he enjoyed. For the last few years he has very sporadically joined me on a long run, but could easily go weeks/months before it happened again. Anyway he's now decided to go running x 3 a week to help reduce his blood pressure, which has been creeping up a bit. After literally a week of this he came along today and did 42:40!! Good job I'm not easily annoyed haha!
  • Options

Solid running Nicole, and I’m not so sure I would be able to subdue my annoyance if my partner ran a 10k in the low 40s!

I had Crewkerne 5k yesterday. Turned out to be just about 3 miles (but I knew this going into the race) I’d had most of a bottle of wine and a couple of whiskies with my neighbour the night before so probably wasn’t in peak running condition at 10am that morning. Looking around the field of runners it was a right mix and I only spotted a few “serious” looking runners. I’d been pre-warned there were a couple of hills, it transpired this was entirely correct. 2 big hills on the way out, then you turn around and run back the same way over the same 2 big hills! There was no point running to any kind of pace so I just gritted my teeth and tried as hard as I could! Ended up with 22:07 and 8th place. However the shine was taken off my first ever top ten when shortly after crossing the line it was announced that 6th place had been taken by an 8 year old local lad (who looked hardly out of breath!) Great little race, might come back for the 10k next year (with a few more hill rep sessions in my legs hopefully)

• Options

Ghostly quiet in here!

What's everyone up to?

I'm following a 10k plan, but struggling to find a 10k race that fits in with my one free weekend between now and the wedding! Think i might settle for a couple of local park run pb attempts, before my main target race (Stroud Half) this autumn where I'd like to crack the 100 minute barrier.

In other news, a copy of P&D Advanced Marathoning arrived in the post yesterday. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it!

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Rich - sounds like you are making good progress and getting some decent racing in. Hope you can find a suitable 10k. I am often like that, in that I only have a limited number of weekends where I am free and that fit into a training schedule and then often struggle to find a suitable race on those weekends! When is your wedding?

I have been very poor training wise in the past three months due to a combination of various niggles, a busy period at work and a change in my daughter's bedtime (now 7 rather than 8 when she was younger) meaning it is very difficult to get out for runs most nights of the week. Throw in cricket on Saturdays (and recovery from cricket on Sundays) and you can see why my mileage has been really poor recently.

Anyhow, I am now trying to make a conscious effort to fit in more training, with a half marathon in the late autumn being my next target.

• Options

Hi Rich. Glad to hear you are joining the P&D ranks. Personally I think the up to 55 mile plan is perfectly adequate for my standard (3:40 ish). For me going up to 75 miles a week is tempting injury. The 18 week plan prepares you in all ways for a solid marathon performance. It is hard, at times, there are some tough runs, particularly among the LT and MP runs. However, it is these, I think, that have served me well in achieving my target results. Equally important are the long runs and I like to do 4 or 5 20 milers. Of course, this all works for me, and has done in 3/3 marathons but everyone is different. I dont hear many people though who feel P&D hasnt worked.

I suppose the first thing you need to do, having entered a marathon, is to set target times. This isnt easy, particularly as its your first, but obviously Stroud will provide you with most of the info you need. Assuming you do 100 mins there, doubling it and adding 20 mins is a pretty good predictor. So you are looking at 3:40. However, some people do find the first one tricky and tend to err on the side of caution so a range from say 3:40-3:55 would be good. That could allow you ABC goals of sub 3:40 sub 3:45 and sub 3:55 (or something similar). 

I have Swansea HM on Sunday where I hope to pb having had a strong 9 week schedule following Manchester. If I get it I will fit in an Autumn marathon (probably Amsterdam) before starting training for Boston next April.

Good luck for the wedding and let me know which marathon you choose when you have decided.

• Options

Wedding is  August 19th Andrew. I like you tend to let life get in the way of running. I tend to have a reasonably good block of training, a good race and then let it slip for a few months. However, whilst I'm getting the regular miles it's all I can seem to think about! Hoping to capitalise on the current regular mileage without getting injured this time.

Bob - It was just a matter of time really, but saying that I'm still in no real rush. I've entered the ballot for VLM 2017 so if I get that I'll have to start P&D around xmas time. However we are planning a 3 week honeymoon in February so it wouldn't be an ideal build up. Perhaps I can find a Marathon in Mid February and go away straight after. I think the sensible option would be to wait until next autumn now. I tend to stay a bit more motivated (running wise) through the summer months so might be easier to stick to the plan. I'd be looking at the 18/55 plan, 75 miles a week is just plain crazy!

Good luck for Swansea, hope this humidity drops and you can have a proper crack at your pb. I lived in Swansea for a few years, I imagine the course will be along the sea front to the Mumbles and back... should make for a reasonably flat course.

• Options

Seville Marathon (19th Feb) and honeymoon combined - sorted!

• Options

We went for a long weekend in Seville last year. Charming place. Unfortunately my future wife has her heart set on somewhere a bit further afield (and I'm guessing if I so much as mention running a marathon whilst on Honeymoon, I'd be going on my own!)

• Options
    How did you go at Swansea Bob?
  • Options

Managed a pb - just! 1:46:38. Was 15th in my age category (out of 70). Means I've improved 10k, HM and Marathon times this year which I thought would be unlikely after such a good 2015.

Well organized and supported race which as you suggested went from the City centre to The Mumbles and back. Totally taken by surprise by a beast of a climb coming back into the city centre at 12.5 miles. Meant I had to really go some after that to get my pb. Dread to think what the finish photo will look like! 100 minutes is some target you've set yourself.

• Options

Congrats Bob, consistent progress all round!

Hills in halfs are cruel at the best of times, but it seems that one was particularly well placed for maximum discomfort. 

I'm starting to think the aim for 100 minutes is going to be tougher than I though. But I have a good 17 weeks before the race so hopefully some consistent mileage will pay dividends. I have half an eye on a local muddy off road race this Sunday - aptly named The Quantock Beast. Will definitely be a pb race (over the classic 5.7 mile distance!) 

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Quick update - set a new 10k PB yesterday at Thame 10k, with a 47:43

A few weeks ago I was thinking I was on track for sub-47, but happy with a PB nonetheless.

Rich - I also ordered a copy of the P&D book after suffering a lot at Brighton in April. Training for Abingdon starts now the 10k is over and done with. I'm also looking at the up-to-55 plan and thinking that's more than enough for me. 

• Options

Well done Yellow, I'm finding the P&D book interesting reading.

• Options

Rich- good luck with the P&D! I use this as well, but 5 x runs a week and 55 miles a bit much for me, so I have found it easy to adapt down a bit by simply removing one of the recovery runs (I prefer to do a bit of cross training as well to help keep things strong and injury at bay)

Bob- well done on the PB, that's really impressive, particularly with the hills, and at this time of year!

Yellow- congrats on your PB too, that's brilliant!

A few weeks into Berlin marathon training now for me.  It's going fairly well, other than that I have struggled with the marathon pace runs in the P&D.  I had one a couple of weeks ago which was meant to be 14 miles with last 8 at MP.  It was a hot day and I only managed 6 before having to slow down significantly.  Sat I was meant to do 16 with last 10 at the MP. I slowed my MP for this one to 8:50-55 but the same thing happened, I was feeling very hot, pushing hard to keep the MP for 6 miles but then hit the hills and just folded.  My HR was also way over what it should have been for this type of run, which probably explains why I couldn't maintain the pace.

So feeling quite frustrated - for whatever reason I always seem to struggle in the summer months, and what seemed easy in January is now very challenging! Not quite sure what to do.  Am thinking to just stay faithful to the HR aspect of P&D - which I have been doing for all the other types of run - so for the next MP run I will focus on keeping my HR in the right place and let my pace fall where it will. I can't see at this point though how I'm going to get close to a PB for Berlin! Maybe that's just the way it is though (unless I have a sudden breakthrough) - I think judging by past experience my best training is always in the winter months, so perhaps a spring marathon will be a better target image

• Options

Hi Nicole,

The heat/humidity really does have quite an effect on HR and effort. However I find it much easier to motivate myself for a run when it's still light outside and it's warm enough for just a vest. That's why I'm thinking an autumn marathon might be good for me (not this autumn though!)

6 miles easy for me last night - pretty tired from an all day mountain bike ride at the weekend. Think I'll have a bit of a cut back week.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Hope training is going well.

I took part in a local trail race last weekend aptly named the Quantock Beast.

5.5 miles of hilly, and in some places very muddy, but mostly beautiful somerset trail. To give you some idea of the inclines my slowest mile was over 10 minutes, fastest was just under 6, so was pleased to finish in just over 45 minutes and 16th place. Cake at the end was more than worth the effort!

Been logging some pretty consistent mileage of around 25 miles a week, with one quality session. I'll be starting my build up to my target half soon, using the Pfitzinger 12 week half plan which goes up to about 40ish miles. 

Been thinking I should probably add in some core strength work, stretching and maybe foam rolling. Anyone had any experience/success with any of these?

• Options
    Hi everyone! Long time no see ????

Hope you've all had a good summer. What's everyone up to?

I've just done my final 20 miler and into taper for Berlin Marathon in 3 weeks. Have been struggling really since chest infection just before Boston in April - managed to get another one June/July so lost quite a bit of training time. Worked hard to get back on schedule with regards to distance but still a way off my speed. I'm never at my best in the summer months anyway image Not quite sure what to expect at Berlin, at the moment am just hoping to at least beat my Boston time of 4:20!!

Hope everyone is well and injury free image