Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good luck RS! image Where you at?

If anyone is around Virginia Water next thursday/friday and fancies a jolly - let me know.

yer maj wrote (see)

I'm tempted by the half....it would be 6 weeks before Chester

See. Makes PERFECT senseimage

Picklelilly wrote (see)

Guess what??   I've signed up to that darn Half too!  We're gonna rock it.

Whoop whoop!!

Stuchbury wrote (see)

image I want to come...!

Come on.... it's a SATURDAY so a whole other day to rest!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Danni - Tokoyo, wow! Starting to tick off those majors.

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭
    Nells wrote (see)

I've been lured in by your talk of Thames Meander and signed up for the half seeing as it is only down the road and I really did enjoy running along the Thames Path when marathon training. E mmy you'll probably pass me on the way back as I trudge through the last few milesimage

KS - my partner has the metabolism of a horse, whilst I'm more of a Koala. He only has to look at a bag of lettuce to lose a few pounds whereas I have to count every single calorie I eat to see a half pound loss for the month. I've gone back to MyFitnessPal this past week as I've been going in the wrong direction recently between post marathon feet up, a chest infection and holidays swaying my intake/out-take a bit. It helps to see things in cold hard figures, but if the numbers balance out then get yourself checked out. Having to watch what you eat is bad enough when you can (slowly) see the benefits taking hold with the promise of being allowed a cake every now and then in future keeping you going. image

Thanks Nells - I think that's what's bugging me at the moment. I don't gorge on chocolate and cake and sweets but I do like a little bit every now and then, and I don't want to know that I can never have chocolate again, or if I do I'll have to add another run to my 6 runs a week and swimming and walking... The calorie app I have says my calorie quota is 1300 a day if I want to lose 2lbs a week, which actually isn't that much. I can see already that I snack too much - three digestives is a couple of hundred calories - so I'll keep an eye on that for a bit. 

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    PC - wrote (see)

Weedy - I'm not keeping up with the thread so I didn't understand the AP reference.

No particular reference. Was for Keyser Suze after she did the North Norfolk Half. Alan Partridge is about the only film set in Norfolk.
    For new folks with no idea what PC's on about, there's a (vaguely topical) film quiz buried in each week's events list I post. This week's film was Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Tune in on Monday to find the next one. And if you're doing any events you want adding to the list, just post them and I'll add. Or birthdays.

Danni - Tokyo. Nice image

Kaz - good to hear

Sorry Weedy, I missed the Norfolk reference! I do have to disagree though, there are a few films set in Norfolk. Clockwise is probably the most famous one (besides AP).  There are also loads of films and TV shows filmed here - Stardust, Atonement, Never Let me Go and Dad's Army. I am proud to live in Norfolk, obviously image 

We went to see Alpha Papa in the Hollywood Cinemas in Norwich - where the premiere was after a campaign by Norwich people. It's only really funny if you live here, but basically, it's a horrible cinema in a horrible part of town. I booked online and when I got there, I'd forgotten to write down my reservation number. The girl at the desk told me it wouldn't be a problem, and then got out a sheet of paper with one name on it. Brilliant. 

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Oh, just thought of another one filmed in East Anglia - Full Metal Jacket. 

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Thanks Nells - I think that's what's bugging me at the moment. I don't gorge on chocolate and cake and sweets but I do like a little bit every now and then, and I don't want to know that I can never have chocolate again, or if I do I'll have to add another run to my 6 runs a week and swimming and walking... The calorie app I have says my calorie quota is 1300 a day if I want to lose 2lbs a week, which actually isn't that much. I can see already that I snack too much - three digestives is a couple of hundred calories - so I'll keep an eye on that for a bit. 

Mine's given me 1200 calories for the day! I'm sat at a desk all day so it is probably fair enough, but I have it synced with my fitbit and I get some extra calories if I've moved around a bit more during the day which is a good incentive. And a bit more again once I input any exercise for that day, but I try not to take this as a free pass! It is taking me twice as long to cook meals though as I'm weighing everything obsessively now (I'm a bit of a statto so I tend to get a bit obsessed with counting things once I've started).

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Tokyo. Nice.

• Options

YM - Get it booked, you know you want to! My thinking is that it's on a Saturday, so I can still do a LSR on the Sunday, I've got Loch Ness at the end of Sept.

Looks like the Thames Meander is going to have a BCRC take-over! Jimbob it's down your neck of the woods, are you going to grace us with your presence?!

KeyserSuze & Nells - I too am on the diet wagon,  13lbs down from my Paris weight but still at least a stone to go image. I read a Runners World running book that I have found quite helpful, just about having healthy snacks to keep you going, eating every 3hrs rather than a massive lunch and a massive supper etc. All things we know, but I've put them in to practice and found that I've not been ravenous. Saying that I am going to have to consider a couple of really low-cal days as I can't be arsed with being on a diet forever! image

• Options

Also Suze losing 2lbs a week is quite an achievement, you have to have a 7000 calorie deficit to lose that much, so losing it on a 'regular' diet can be quite difficult.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Oh, just thought of another one filmed in East Anglia - Full Metal Jacket. 

I remember reading that the Vietnam scenes for that were filmed in some abondoned power station down that way, which does seem like the oddest choice of location. Awesome film though.

1200 calories a day! I'm a wreck just thinking abvout that. Well done those that are giving it a go.

• Options

On this diet-weight loss subject, has anyone found interval training to be effective? Especially of the high-intensity variety? In theory it sounds like a great way to kick your metabolism into the next gear. I don't seem to know anyone who has stuck with it though. Maybe because those high intervals are just so damn unpleasant, even if they're quick.

I've just started a weekly track session with my (other) club. It feels so disgusting while its happening, and so good afterwards. Hoping that it's going to start making a difference to my speed by about 6 weeks time. The trainer who runs the session is excellent, as are all the drills and stuff. It makes sense of the £90 club fees as well.

Suze - I think 2lbs is a massive weight loss per week. Even a lb/week is a big achievement. I wouldn't have the energy to run on that kind of energy deficit.

I am also poised to enter the Thames Meander half marathon. I just need to work out the logistics image

• Options

I'm on the list for the above image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RS - good luck for the new job

It would be nice to run all the majors, but unfortunately I will never be Boston bound u less I can really up my game !

• Options

Careful those on restricting calorie intakes - fast weight loss usually involves losing lean muscle mass as well as fat, whereas slower loss is usually fat alone. just saying. 

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Emmy... I find testing my threshold is more productive with other people than on my own, if that answers any questions. image

Dirty buggers. Carry on.... image

Thought I'd stick my head in and say hello. Feel a bit of a fraud really as I have only managed to run 58kms this month, making it 736kms this year. In 2011 I had run 1,690 kms by this time. My Baker's Cyst seems to have gone down a bit now but my legs are still aching from a little fall of my MTB on Sunday night. Ah well, I'll get fit some other time.

Thankfully weight loss is not an issue for me. Despite not doing much exercise at all, I am amazed to see my body fat is below 8%. Guess I must be being unconsciously disciplined with my eating habits. My appetite seems to closely follow my activity levels, so i count myself lucky that even after injury, i rarely have a wall to climb back up.

Storming PB I see there Matty - well done you.

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Just leaving a note so it shows up on my followed thread thingybobbydoodah

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Emmy... I find testing my threshold is more productive with other people than on my own, if that answers any questions. image

Aii. that we areimage

• Options
    Remember if you're using a fitness app that the calories they give you for the day are net of exercise. So if you're of average weight you probably need to add about 100 calories for every mile run. Otherwise, if your target is 1,200 a day and you run 12 miles, that leaves you with no calories left to do relatively important things like breathing, moving about, talking, sleeping, digesting, and stuff. Fuelling is important!
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

It was my fifth day at new job. Made it there but took way longer than expected as there's hills (heaps of them that only go up!) And had to do a few navigation checksimage

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Remember if you're using a fitness app that the calories they give you for the day are net of exercise. So if you're of average weight you probably need to add about 100 calories for every mile run. Otherwise, if your target is 1,200 a day and you run 12 miles, that leaves you with no calories left to do relatively important things like breathing, moving about, talking, sleeping, digesting, and stuff. Fuelling is important!

Mine (myfitnesspal) lets you add in exercise RR, and then adjusts the calorie count for the day. It also gives me a bit more if I've been generally moving around as opposed to sat on my arse as it can see my fitbit count too (no, I'm not at all obsessed with gadgets...). Good thing as usually after breakfast and lunch,I've got about 300 calories left for the rest of the day otherwise. I lost over 3 stone a few years ago through hard graft and sensible-ish eating, but need to lose about another 2 to be in the 'healthy' range and it just isn't budging so I'm trying the scientific approach! 

• Options
    thisisnattythisisnatty ✭✭✭

Was umming about the Thames half as predictor for Chester, but now it's settled! Not really the same terrain but hey ho. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I have a 10k to run tonight, but have woken up with revenge of the lurgy part II. Think that'll ruin any chance of me attempting a PB though, bollocks.

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the lovely nutrition advice you lovelies, very sensible. My calorie tracking app also accounts for exercise, hooray. I do think that it's snacks that send me over the edge as my meals are pretty low in calories - small bowl of muesli, rice cakes and cream cheese and then something vegetable-y based for dinner like roasted veg or pasta. 

Sorry about your lurgy Eggyh73, feel better soon. 

I did the last of the Great Yarmouth 5mile series last night - 40:12, 40:23 and then a (yet to be confirmed but going by the clock) 39:18 yesterday! Hooray! So pleased to have finally cracked that barrier. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Eggy - sorry to hear you're ill image

Natty - looking forward to seeing you at thames meander!

Keyser - for me -it was portion size and snacking. I know where my downfall lies but it's controlling it thats the issue.

A beautiful KOC (Kaz O Clock) run as the sun was coming up. LOVELY!

• Options
    E mmy wrote (see)
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Aii. that we areimage

Speak for yourself. image

• Options
    E mmy wrote (see)

A beautiful KOC (Kaz O Clock) run as the sun was coming up. LOVELY!

Mentalist, I'd feel like I'd only just gone to bed if I ran at that ungodly hour!

TD, thanks for the probs but I am exceedingly jealous of your 8% body fat. I'll get there, one day!

Eggy - nasty. There are always other races!

Speaking of dieting, a good way of monitoring how your weightloss is progressing Lean Muscle/Fat wise is getting some weighing scales which measure your BF percentage too. I whack the numbers into a spreadsheet so it tells me how much of my weightloss (In pounds) is Body Fat compared to the overall weight loss for the week. I think i got mine from Argos, by Salter and they also measure water %.

You can get scales that also measure muscle mass but I haven't invested in those.

Speaking of MFP, I sync my Garmin to Endomondo, which in turn syncs with MyFitnessPal - so all my calories get automatically entered. IT really can be like magic sometimes image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Matty - It was lovely image It was awful in the first 5 minutes after getting out of bed...

RE: Body fat percentage. I'd make sure of the following:

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    E mmy wrote (see)
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Aii. that we areimage

Speak for yourself. image

You started it babyimage

• Options

We are the brilliant time of year when its only dark for a few hours - it was daylight today at 3.40am. In a couple of weeks its never dark at all! Its a lovely time of day for running especially LSR's when I can be home again before being missed!!image

I did 6 miles this morning with 6 x 400m intervals. Quite surprised myself! image 

Emmy - I also have those, but they are buried in a cupboard somewhere! image

Eggy - I hope your feeling better soon. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I m with you, Kaz

Here , it s about 4.00. ..and I ll never see your' Insomnia' thing.... But I love the early light too. image
  • Options

I wasn't very fast today. 1.83km in 27:35. image