Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    Back in Scotland for the weekend and not ot sunny but I have the beginnings of a faint tan. It's not natural, I tell you!
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Looks like a bit of tapir madness coming along nicelyimage weather... Yeah, preparation for everything is the way to go. Throw away charity outfit for if it's cold, sponge and buff to soak and put water over your head if it's hot (but lean back a little when you do so your shoes don't get saturated). Above all enjoy the experience! Have just sent the 2014 purple pen selfie to td for the gallery. We managed to get 10 of us in there and we're all grinning like mad. Get in!!!
  • Options

Oooh I want one of those knitted Tapirs......they are so cute

I'm waiting (very very patiently) for B&B people to get up, breakfast at 0900 you said...So where the feck are you???  Am making noise now. 

Thankfully no running today, or I would be in a serious bad mood.

Enjoy Easter Monday one and all

• Options

Ok, I'm officially excited now!

Me and the family heading out on Eurostar on Thursday. Will probably go to the expo on Friday morning. Plan to make it to the arc for pre-race meet up and pic and then to Corcorans in the evening.

Anyone else starting in the yellow pen?

• Options

Very worried about the industrial action on Wednesday / Thursday, my flight is on Thursday. Looks like there is a good chance that flights will be cancelled. Not the best preparation

• Options

Onetit......how about burnt toast under smoke alarm maybe that will get their attention image 

Rest day today on this beautiful Monday morning and had a great nights sleep last night without any interruptions from wild bizarre dreams.....sorry Picklelilly image

Today I'm going to start packing ...thinking my case is too small image

• Options

Bad Owl ...maybe check out Eurostar as a back up plan ? 

• Options

Yeah may have to do this, there are 4 of us though and would need to get down from Manchester to catch the Eurostar so it is looking fairly pricey.

• Options

Hurrah, they have had breakfast, not so hurrah, they have gone back to bed!  I am now playing music FULL BLAST

• Options
    Bad Owl we are also flying from Manchester on thurs afternoon. 5 of us. The whole idea of trying to get to london and eurostar is making me turn white. Keep the faith.
  • Options

Will do! Which flight are you supposed to be on? I am booked on the 14:20

• Options

We are booked to fly on Thursday am from Heathrow With Air France

Lets hope strike is called off,negotiations ongoing and result will be known tues pm.

So tomorrow afternoon will know what's happening,could've done without this.They certainly know when to cause the most disruption.image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Finger's crossed they negotiate and call off strike at last minute. They have called a second set of strike dates on 16th April onwards which will affect us going home...

• Options

Very worried about the industrial action on Wednesday / Thursday, my flight is on Thursday. Looks like there is a good chance that flights will be cancelled. Not the best preparation

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

More info regarding strikes on independent website. Apparently airlines will confirm what's going to happen Tuesday afternoon. If with Air France I reckon you might be able to move flight to Friday if any availability, or cancel and get a train (is Eurostar affected by Govt transport workers strike, along with all other trains/metro/bus?).

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/easter-holidays-french-airtraffic-controllers-strike-threatens-british-families-return-to-the-uk-10156871.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/french-airtraffic-controllers-strike-qa-when-is-the-strike-and-which-travellers-will-be-affected-10156903.html

Something to worry about other than the weather.

• Options

There's no mention of strikes this week on the Eurostar website, although they do have something about a strike on the 22nd, so hopefully OK.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

BM - Loving your creativity and humour with the countdown images. Great stuff.

TD - Sorry you had to decide to pull out of the run. I was willing you to make it. But sounds like you've made the decision with your head and it's the right one.

Eggy - Best gold target ever!

On the baggage question. I used the bag drop last year and found it really easy to use, no waiting for either the drop off or the pick up and only a 5 minute walk to the Arc. If you are staying nearby then maybe you don't need to use it but otherwise I don't see any reason to avoid it. And there were plenty of toilets with no queues by the bag drop area when I got there just before the meet-up at the Arc. Expect lots of queues nearer to the start and the pens.

I finally received my cape for my superman costume for running VMLM. Tested it out on a 10 mile run yesterday and all my fears about drag and being tight around my neck were allayed. Added much amusement for my running buddies too.

Just a little matter of 26.2 to run this coming Sunday. Excited. Much.

• Options
    Bad Owl I think we're on that one. We're with flybe.
  • Options

PARIS 2015 list

Preferential pen (speed of light!):
    1502 – 15West

Red pen (3hr):
    4471 – Tricky-Dicky
    5739 – Freddy 1

Yellow pen (3:15):
    8283 – Robzzz
    8368 – IrishAaron
    8657 – Dirty Leeds Rob
    8827 - Picklelilly
    9780 - Rodeoflip
    9787 – ParisRunner
    11118 – Meadower
    27120 - Hatter88 (if he can move up at Expo)
    59968 - Heroine in a half-shell (tentatively, if I can move up at Expo)

Blue Pen (3:30):
    14801 – Rick Budd  (I’m guessing your pen colour here!)
    14762 – Dom Norrish
    19553 - Tuckster26
    19810 – Nodster
    27314 – Orapidrun

Purple pen (3:45):
    26256 – E mmy
    27188 - Chris Morgan 16
    27869 – Thisisnatty
    28493 - Formaggio
    28679 – PC
    29784 – Paul Gunn 64
    29086 - Whaqatac
    30737Running Rodent
    31966 – MattL
    31006 – Roger Doger 2
    33158 – Scott the Walker
    33222 – Eggyh73

Green pen (4hr):
    38716 – Pistol101
    38876 – acp’s husband
    38906 – acp
    39356 – Coops10
    40515 – Rachelcgen
    41107 – Berkeley Runner
    43564 – Jellybum
    45812 – Katherine Preston
    46126 – Chunkytfg
    46408 – Vikike07
    46606 - TimR
    46734 - Orbutt
    ????? – Helterskelter
    ????? – Pottermoss (guessing pen here until you give me a number!)

Grey pen (4:15):
    51036 - Onetit
    51054 - Whackers
    52557 - City Fan
    52919 - TinkerBEL
    53313 – Nells
    53450 – Benign Murmurings
    55144 - Minniemonster
    55772 – DJC77
    56522 – HeatherS
    58083 – Mike Drew 2

Pink pen (4:30+):
    58034 – Heilan Coo
    58313 - Leggymountbatten
    58675 – Mattleydon
    58825 – Jennifer Balls
    59526 - Towney
    60750 - KO'S
    61404 – Joanna3
    61542 – Heidi Barr
    61571 – Dark Vader
    61783 – Betzza
    63936 – Peter Wray 3
    64047 – EdinburghLoon
    64381 – Amasis Saba

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required.

• Options

Nope, different flight, I am with Air France, leaves ten minutes earlier (in theory!)

• Options

Got goose pimples and welled up a bit... newly released teaser video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHdziKTyrg

Ran 10 miles at MP today! I think I may be back in the game image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Breakfast Run meet-up (8:30am at the Arc):
    Eggy
    Thisisnatty
    Mr Thisisnatty
    Nodster
    Meadower
    Berkeley Runner
    Orapidrun

Meet up point is the left hand side of the arc if you are looking down the Champs Elysee.

• Options
    Trying not to worry too much about my flights. We'll find out tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) & go from there.

Just been scanning through tv guide & found Paris marathon live on eurosport next week. I've set it to record image
  • Options

Woohoo Heidi !!! great news image 

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Great news Heidi, gave me the pimples of a goose too.
  • Options

Ok so I am by no means an expert at marathon running but I've done a couple and have learned a lot from the races and preparation that I've done, so maybe some practical advice will help calm the nerves?

1. Do not try something new on race day. No new trainers, no new breakfasts, no new suddenly drinking a gallon of squash before the start because you fear it's going to be hot. No new running belts. No new gels. No new snacks mid-race. etc etc.

2. I do not believe in drinking more than one cup of tea before the race (3hrs), a couple of small mouthfuls near the start thereafter will suffice. This is a personal decision based on the need to go to the loo frequently if I've had more than that. I do not believe that it will only take an hour to dispel a whole bottle of drink. I also think that you want to be mindful of how long you'll be out there - eg can you normally hold a bladder full of liquid for 3+ hrs? I know I can't.

3. If you are getting there pre-8am it is going to be cooler irrespective of what the midday sun does, you will want a throw-away kit to wear to the race and in the pen.

4. The toilet situation in the pen is woeful, don't go in there too early, instead use all the cafes etc outside of the pens. Once you are in the pens you are in! Take your own loo roll!

5. I was lucky enough to complete the marathon last year but for those who had to pull out mid-race it was very tricky to get home - make sure you take some form of money or a train ticket if you can otherwise you may be asking the locals to help you out with money!!

5. Once you are running drink when you feel thirsty. This means not drinking a full bottle of water from each station, it may just be a sip or two. Carry the bottle with you if you can so that you can drink a little bit when it tickles your fancy. If you are used to running with a hydration belt then this is the perfect time to wear it, prepare your own drinks for your belt.

4. It is unlikely to be Sahara weather right from the gun, don't get freaked out and drink a load of fluid for no reason, and don't start lobbing it over yourself unless it's starting to heat up - water on skin = chafe and blisters, only do it if required.

5. Gels - use whatever you have been practicing with, race day is not the time to practice something new in the vague hope that it'll work. Go into the race with a clear plan that you have talked yourself through, particularly your strategy for the 2nd half because your brain won't work as well as it should after half way and it's not the time to be trying to come up with clever plans! I actually have 2 plans, good day/bad day. It's best to stick with what you know.

6. You have 5 days to come up with a pace strategy for your race. Enjoyment will come from a well paced race, the crash and burn technique is excruciating and I wouldn't recommend it!! Start with a clear and obtainable goal, work out the pacing for it http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/pace-calculator and it may be prudent to work it out for 26.4 rather than 26.2 because races never come in at exact distance. When goal-setting you must be truthful to yourself, gage how training has gone and don't over-reach, go off conservatively as this gives you the option to absolutely kill it in the 2nd half if it's going well.

7. Whatever your plan and fitness level DO NOT GO OFF TOO FAST! This is even more relevant if it is going to be hot. Bank energy not time, it really has worked for me in the past.

• Options

8. Pack a bag of protein-based food for straight afterwards, I strongly believe in a bag of mixed nuts & dried fruits. This will vastly increase your recovery and shouldn't be overlooked or you won't have the use of your legs for the next 3 days!

9. I fully believe in compression tights - put them on as soon as you can after your race and don't take them off until you absolutely have to! I wear mine under regular leggings or jeans and no one is any the wiser!

9. Gold, Silver, Bronze? One of them should always be to complete the marathon - irrespective of fitness and experience this is a massive event and it doesn't always go to plan, PBs can't always happen.

After my first marathon (Paris last year) I learned a lot of things very quickly. One was that my training had to improve, and I had to treat training runs as run-throughs of the real thing. It is way too late now to try something new, but if this is your first one or even if it isn't and you still haven't got things pinned down, and you intend to run another marathon one day then I have found great use out of taking my LSRs way too seriously! I wake up 3hrs before and I eat the breakfast that I will be eating on race day. It's changed throughout the last 12 months, I've had time to see if something works a bit better or not so much. I've played around with how much drink I can have pre-LSR when it didn't matter that I needed 3 wees on my route! I have also practiced and practiced and practiced my gel strategy, different gels, different timings, different ways to carry them, different ways to actually eat/drink them etc.

For my first marathon I had half a small energy bar 3hrs beforehand, it really wasn't even close to being enough but I'd never thought about what I'd actually have on race day and I'd never had breakfast before any of my LSRs.

Please try not to freak out!! The training is done, the weather is uncontrollable, weather you use bag drop or not is not a massive decision, turn up earlier if you want to use it, just make sure that you are fit and on the starting line ready to go in kit that is comfortable, the colour of your vest is unlikely to be of great consequence, fitness and strategy will be, if you have planned everything beforehand then things will take care of themselves as soon as you start running.

Enjoy yourself - this is going to be EPIC!!

• Options

Ooo thanks HiaHS, I'm all psyched up and ready image

*jumps around excitedly*