Options

Sat 3rd Jan

Comments

• Options
    Just back from Wilts X/C champs- cold and muddy!

If this was a test to see whether I've recovered from whatevers been affecting me recently then I'd say NO!

Set off at what felt like a reasonable pace in a lead pack of around 10 then blew up big style at around a mile. Thereafter things got harder and harder and seriously considered stopping at one point. Obviously went off faster than was sensible and got passed regularly for the rest of the race. Started to recover a little over the last lap but still didn't feel great, particularly as I usually run strongly towards the end of most races.

On past performances I should have been first runner home from my club but was actually 4th on my team and 22nd overall.

I'm still convinced somethings not quite right but I have no idea what? My resting HR has been elevated for almost a month now (60bpm compared with a usual 48bpm) and my HR during the race was around 5 bpm higher than I would've expected.

Got the Stubbington 10K next week which is a more useful test (less mud, fewer hills!) so I'll see if things have picked up by then.

Looking forward to the rest of the race reports..........

• Options
    Exile, good effort.

Re. your HR, my guess is that you have some infection or virus that does not affect you in everyday life, but which becomes noticeable when trying to run.

Maybe your recent bout of apathy was your body telling you to ease off for a while.

You seem to run your training runs quite quickly as well. How about slowing them down to a 70% HR until you are totally better.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

just back from the holidays - hope you all had good ones whatever you were doing.

What: 5m easy
    Why: long story
    Last hard: ages ago
    Last rest: too many of them!!

Should have been on about 75m this week, but I went down with some sort of stomach bug on New Year's Eve and have managed one 4m jog since then. I'm off out for a 5m in a few minutes to check that I've recovered properly. If there are no ill effects, then I'll be beack in proper training starting tomorrow.
  • Options
    Or even "back" in proper training.
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

1 mile warm up followed by 4 x 1 mile with 3 minutes recovery.

5:29 - tough mile, some downhill, some uphill
    5:01 - this mile is all downhill
    5:45 - some uphill and very muddy - couldnt get a grip on it today.
    5:55 - uphill most of the way. Most pleased with this one.

finished with a mile warm down.

56 miles for me this week - a good week!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Had amazing run today

1 hours base training kept HR under 150 for most of run except a few times after climbing a short but steep hill and at the end of my run, after running more than the planned hour (almost 3 minutes more)
    But i ran ½mile more than i normally do, so feeling pleased with myself.
    Will do 7 miles tomorrow, as it will be 10 weeks to Banbury.
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Hello.

What: 18.57miles in the sleet
    Why: God only knows, something to do with a marathon in April perhaps?

Last Rest: Thursday
    Last Hard: Wednesday, intervals

Cheers,
    Higs
  • Options
    hi ya

what:unscheduled 'rest' day
    why: kids last minute plans required me to ferry them about in car to friends' houses meant no time to run

Will do my scheduled 2 hours tomorrow

Back to normal Monday and will be able to run outside-Yea-hey!!!!
    tiaxx
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Exile! I know it's not the result you wanted/expected, but at least you didn't drop out!

As BR says most probably carrying a bit of a virus!

Take it easy!

Another day of good training going on!

I'm quite pleased as I went swimming again and did 70*25m in 40mins without all the stopping and starting of yesterday.

Couldn't get out on my bike though as it's rained all day, really miserable out there!

Leg felt better for the swim, but will leave running until tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hiya's

Sounds challenging Exile, but well done on finishing what sounded a pretty tough one!

Nice long one there Higs, well done in the cold n' sleet!

Look forward to X/C reports later.

What: Rest ( But dont want too )

Why: Planned on keeping mileage down from last week, as raced this week and seeing physio on tuesday but tommorrows run will probably equal that of last week.

Last Hard: Thursdays 10k

Last Rest: Boxing day

Laters.
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: 2m very, very steady (30% of WHR) followed by 5m steady (60% of WHR)

Why: My 8 year old daughter wanted to go for a run, so we did a 2m warm-up. I then carried on for another 5m

Last hard: 7 days
    Last rest: 9 days
    7 day cumulative: 31m

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.
  • Options
    Well I did the 15, felt fine for the first ten then almost cut it short to 12 as I had really had enough, but made myself do the extra loop congratulated myself for mile 13 then just endured the last two.

Exile- like you I am not firing on all cylinders at the moment, never mind there's time yet before I drop assess a realistic finishing time for London.

• Options
    Monique, just entered Dewsbury (didn't realise you could do it online). See you there. Are you allowed to run it or do you have to marshal?
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone, first week of shifting my long run to Saturday & introducing Sunday as a rest day (but vice-versa when there's a race!)

What: 10 very hilly miles, ave pace 10min/miles ave HR 130

Why: Last one before I start my FLM schedule, which doesn't mention long hilly runs, so I just included all the tough local ones I could string together.

Last rest: Yesterday

Last hard: Sunday

• Options
    Well, 5m done with no ill effects. Looking good for 17m tomorrow morning.

Quick question for any trail runners - I have a couple of trail races this year and need to invest in some proper trail shoes (tend to just use a less cushioned pair of road shoes in training). I usually run in Asics 2080s and 1080s. Can anyone recommend a good trail shoe with similar mild stability features?

• Options
    Evening, promised myself I'd Post even if doing nothing - rest today before Glos 10 tomorrow - anyone else doing it
  • Options
    Good day all

Lots of good efforts going on, quick report back on league X/C 5 miler, (not county champs here):

Felt pretty stiff after yesterday’s efforts so this was really just a hard tempo training run with 4 x 50m hills – one on each lap. Chilly, dry, and sticky underfoot in patches. Struggled to get HR up, averaged 172 – max 191 so really do believe the previous day affected the performance, Found myself in battle royal with another runner who would take 50/60m out of me on the downhill, and then I’d work back to pass him on the up – but since we finish after the down I lost out. Overall about 50sec faster than previous run on this course – and in worse conditions - so feel progress is being made.

Easy run tomorrow, G’n’T calls if Snail and Hippo haven’t supped it all.
  • Options
    Exile - well done, mate. I hope things continue to improve i your 10k next week. sounds as though the course is likely to be easier.

hilly - I thought it always rained in Wales anyway!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ah, it does Llama Man, but I'm not living in Wales anymore!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    sfh legs-well run and enjoy that G'nT you deserve it!
  • Options
    Good run sfh - 50 sec off a 5 mile time is good going.

Reporting back: my long run turned out to be 14 miles and it felt pretty good really. Early days yet but feeling like this marathon lark might be possible after all.
  • Options
    was apinfully obvious that I need more sleep today...legs felt so heavy!

What: 5 mile on tready @ gym, starting pace 9's, faster every mile til last mile @ 8's
    Why: Wk 3 marathon schedule and it'd been snowin out, hence tready
    Last hard: (felt hard today!) Boxing Day
    Last rest: Thursday

Decided not going to Gloucs tomorrow Undulating, need to do 13 really and I know I won't want to add 3 to a 10 mile race...when I see the finish line body won't give me any more...

Have a good one and good luck to all Hogweeds there...
  • Options
    ...seem to have my a's & p's in a tizzy...
  • Options
    Good evening

Glad to see name change Hilly:-) us welsh Dragans have to stick together!!!

Rest day for me, some rest been to cardiff shopping got there for 9am and left at 4PM I did have to get new trainers as my ones that are 6 weeks old hurt my feet and been running in well worn old ones they have stopped making my ones so have got the equivalant(they gave me a different make and just did not suit me)back to good old Nike,lots of bags came home with me:-)

Will read through the tread to see how everyone has done today!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well done to all that raced some good training going on...makes me want to get out and run but will wait for tomorrow!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Barnsley- yes I knew you could enter on-line but it's not via RW is it? I will be marshalling. Usually near the turn around point, but I really must get to meet you as I can't believe our paths haven't crossed yet, what colours does your club run in?
  • Options
    Monique - I can't believe I didn't get a Fall lyric! Losing my touch, I think.

Well, four hours snowboarding, changed into running kit before driving home, on the way home Mr B dropped me (after dark!) at the start of a rural bridleway (don't try this at home, kids!) and I had a lovely marathon-pace run in the dark and snow, meeting a few v. suprised horseriders on the way.

What = 6.5 mile marathon pace
    Why = Hal Higdon says so

Have a good evening everyone - and well done all you X-Country racers

• Options
    Lizzy- my son was really impressed when I told him about your tangle with the ski lift on your snowboard.
  • Options
    hippo is on call
    all week
    So you can have my gin swerve
  • Options
    Monique - ooh, I need to do something equally stupid again soon, in order to preserve my reputation. I did fall off a cornice today, but no-one saw me, so it doesn't count.

I have Bombay Sapphire in hand. Nice.