Options

sub 2hr half marathon target

Comments

• Options
    Good running. Hills always make a run more difficult.

Running, sweating,warm weather and suncream is not helping my skin. No pakn no gain though
  • Options

10k race done today. Finished in 57(ish...chip results not released yet). Not a pb but wasn't expecting one today due to a big hill at the start. Happy with that time though considering the humidity and my tired legs from stupidly doing parkrun faster than I was supposed to yesterday. And I had to stop briefly a couple of times for a breather too. So pb remains at February's 56 mins but given today's effort I reckon I'd easily be able to do at least a sub 55 now on a flat course image

Its been a productive week for me and I'm finally starting to see some improvements, happy days. 

• Options

/members/images/835224/Gallery/photo_(2).jpg

Morning all!!

Whoa, a lot of running going on! Emjay - 57min on a hilly course - good effort. My PB on a 10k course flat as a pancake was 58:58. image

I had to do my long run on Thursday night as I had some friends visiting this weekend.. Planned 7miler (as per my schedule) turned into 9.1m with 1200ft elevation gain during first 5miles. Legs - screaming. Got a taxi into work on Friday morning.. no joke.

No running this weekend, but even up to Thursday I clocked 18.6miles, so a couple over my scheduled mileage = good times. image

I'm sure I could pass my Saturdays hike as 'cross training' anyway - took my friends to Swiss Alps and tackled 1898m Grosser Mythen peak (starting point 550m above sea level). View from the top at the top of my message image

Happy Monday fellow runners!

• Options

Hi all, would it be ok to drop into the conversation? Also doing my first Half at the beginning of October in Glasgow (and hoping to break 2hrs), followed by the Great South Run 3 weeks later. Hopefully I will have recovered!!

Just finished week 1 of 12 weeks of my programme and seems to have gone ok. Some how I've got 3 different programmes lined up; Great Run (12 weeks), Nike+ (12 Weeks) and Runner's World (10 weeks).

I was originally planning to use the Nike+ as that's how I record my runs, but it want's me to rest on Sunday which is my best day for getting some distance in. Therefore sticking mainly to the Great Run schedule (which is more time based than distance) but making sure that I cover the weeks distance suggested on the Nike plan. Got another week before the Runner's World plan slots in along side the others! That seems to be a combo of distance with suggested times/paces. I can see it all getting very complicated!

I normally try to avoid running 2 days on the trot, so it was with some trepidation I set out on my 1hr run last night, especially as I'd done the Northampton ParkRun as my 25min "easy" pace run on Saturday. (Got a bit carried away and knocked 12 seconds of my best since I last ran it in February!) So with tired legs I set out last night expecting to give up early but surprised myself with 12km in an hour & 6 mins.

On the subject of blistered toes, I was having problems with toe number 4 attacking toe number 3, so I bought some Injinji Toe Socks. Feel a bit weird when you first put them on, but feel great when you run and I haven't had the problem re-occur.

Anyway good luck everyone.

• Options
    Just over 4 miles tonight mixture of walking and running as my right leg is stiff
  • Options

Morning all.. Woke up with a massive sore throat and general feel of a good old cold (I thought something was odd when I could hardly keep my eyes open at 9pm last night). Hugely dissapointed, frustrated and annoyed that my body can't keep up with my increasing mileage image Don't want to have a week out of running and at the same time scared if I go out tonight I'll make it worse.

Sad. Sad. Times.

• Options

Hope you're feeling better Lasaus. I'm well jel about your cross training hiking though, I love the alps image

i feel your pain TF, my legs are seriously fatigued after this week what with the 10k on Sunday, challenging session on Monday with the club and a (failed) intervals session on weds. Tried to do an easy 5 miles last night with my mate but had to call it quits after just 3! So I'm resting today and hoping I have more luck at parkrun in the morning as I was hoping to aim for a pb as a measure of my progress. Maybe a good foam rolling session will help!

Is anyone else wishing for cooler weather and maybe even some rain?! I love the sun but I'm getting seriously frustrated with overheating when training! 

Stef, your training sounds way too complex, I would be proper stressed out trying to follow three different plans! Would it not be easier just to stick with the one? They're usually pretty flexible anyway, I often tweak mine to fit around my shifts, so don't worry about changing your rest days etc. And different schedules are usually pretty similar anyway I.e with one long run, a tempo run and an interval/fartlek/hill run each week.... I chose mine based on how many days I want to train and how much mileage I can do a week (I.e I choose to run five days a week, but under 35 miles p/w as I don't have time and I'm not fit enough to do much more than that!). I'm also thinking about switching my Sunday LR to Saturday as it seems that running on a Sunday followed by the club run on a Monday is too much for my legs and I end up struggling for the rest of the week. 

Anyway, have a good weekend everyone!! I'm working through until Monday image

• Options

I hear you emjay, hottest day of the year here so far! Managed to fit in 3 miles this evening. 8.5 mile LR tomorrow is the plan.

Hope it cools down a bit soon, commonwealth games are on which means the elites will be doing a marathon here on Sunday. It's more or less 2 laps of the Glasgow half I believe, except they get to avoid the hill at st. vincent st.

• Options

Ooh are you planning to go down to watch zicksi?

Just done parkrun. May have just squeezed a pb by a few seconds. Was really pushing myself though and thought I was on to smash my old time...so I'm a little disappointed but a pb is a pb I guess. Dunno why but I'm useless at 5k!! Today's finish time of 27:10 puts my half marathon finish time at 02:05, according to the mcmillan calculator, which is actually slower than my current hm time! 

Really need to start seeing some improvements soon! Only 9 weeks to go image.

• Options

Yes, me and OH going to encourage them from the south side tomorrow. image

8.5 miles done today as planned.

Well done on the pb! Endurance sounds like your thing Emjay, you must be just getting warmed up in the first 5k haha!

• Options
    Good runing guys.

Jet skiing wed night so no running, weather was just too warm thur so again no running, jet skiing fri night for us so no running yet again.

9 hilly miles today well couple of big hills rest undulating, jet skiing tonight

Hoping to run tomorrow early if im not aching too much
  • Options
    Aqua cross spectating today but a cheeky speedwork session tonight.

1mile warm up, 20 mins speedwork of 1 min sprints, 1.5mile warm down
  • Options

9 mile easy for me today as I missed my long run at the weekend as I was too tired from work. Not a productive run as I went at midday so had plenty of stops to allow the hr to come down. Struggling mentally this week so I plan to go for a swim tomorrow to break the training monotony, plus some cross training should do me good as I don't usually have time. 

• Options

Morning all!

So after a week of no running (writing SICK on my training plan at the weekend instead of an 8 mile run was soul crushing), I'm back into action. 4.5m on Monday and 5.5m yesterday (with 3 last miles at sub 8:41 min/mile - happy days).

Resting today - though Emjay made me want to go swimming, might do that tonight.

Agree re hot weather - it cooled down a lot this week in Zurich (put my jumper on last night to go to the shop for the first time this summer) and its soooo much nicer to run in. I guess at least we are unlikely to be suffering from hot weather by the time October comes.

Question guys - when you do your long runs, do you stick to your HM target pace? So around 9:09 for us? Or should I worry about pace later?

• Options

I enjoyed my swim, so much so that I've ordered a new swimsuit and definitely plan to make it a weekly fixture in my training! 

My schedule has me running my long runs at an easy pace, from other schedules I've followed I believe this is usually the case, as a rule of thumb you shouldn't race your training long runs (our race pace being 9:09). So for me my easy/LSR pace is at 10mm's. Although yesterday it was closer to 10:45 image Lol.

my tempo runs are at my hm pace, so usually 20-25 mins at that pace after a mile warm up then mile cool down. 

Edited to add:

My schedule has a 13 mile time trial on week 8, even that one isn't at race pace as it has the target of 9:20mm. So I guess the message is, save the racing for the race! 

• Options
    I run my long runs at slower pace at least 1 min per mile slower.

No running for me this week as i had few days away. Took my running stuff with me but hotel was in bit of a ropey area so didnt fancy venturing out on my tod in strange city.

1 hour hill work session completed tonight just over 5 miles. 30 min walk afterwards as well

Run planned for tomorrow after work
  • Options
    No running for me last night. 6 miles tonight undulating route
  • Options

I do my lon runs at more like 11 min/mile pace (a hang up frm marathon training days when I was going for a 4:30 mara). Possibly as going a bit slow but have managed just under 2:02 for a half this year.

• Options
    Well 6 miles for me last night 2 mile warm up then some sprints and hillwork

10 miles today on undulating route. Very very slow today and ended up walking some bits. Partly as i did new route and was admiring countryside and sea views. I think hills yesterday also made my legs a little heavy

Hope everyone else is out running in the heat
  • Options

Hey all, how is training going? 

Its been a busy couple of weeks for me, last week I managed to stick to my full schedule for once and finished the week on a good 10 miler.

this week it's all gone to pot again, have been finishing work late every night and have hardly had time to eat and sleep let alone train, so no running since Monday image

Why is it always one step forwards, three steps back? 

I'm hoping the break might do me good though, feet got badly blistered last week so at least they've got a chance to heal. 

8 weeks of training left for me now. 

• Options

Sounds frustrating Emjay, hope it works in your favour in the end.

Found putting sessions on the calendar useful, been realistic about what days will work training wise that way and stuck to the plan. Increasing mileage slowly but surely. image

Done two Long runs up to 10 miles the last couple of weeks. At the point where the long runs are getting me tired... but that's no surprise as it's my first time hitting double figures mileage on long run day!

Last week was tough, resting HR was elevated (10bpm higher than normal) for 7 days, back to normal now after sticking to easy mileage that week.

Backing off a little and taking an easy week this week, planning to increase the distance again next week.

• Options

Backed off a little too much at the weekend. image

Went out for a mad one with my friends and didn't manage to fit in any running. It was an endurance event.. thing is it was exactly the wrong kind!

Anyway, back on track with 4 miles tempo yesterday and cross training today.

• Options

I hope you had a good night Zicksi! 

11 mile hilly run in the Lake District  for me at the weekend. A good run and legs were feeling strong although I stopped for 10 mins mid way to chat to a farmer so I'm not sure whether the strong legs were a red herring image.

A swim on Monday, 200m intervals on Tuesday and a 6 mile recovery yesterday. 5m tempo today and my first 13 miler since pre marathon scheduled for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how I get on! I actually have no idea whether I'm improving or will likely achieve a sub 2 at the moment! I'm managing to stay free of injuries though so I'm thankful for that at least. Might be time for another parkrun in the next few weeks to monitor how I'm getting on! 

I hope you're all having a good week and making the most of the cooler weather, I certainly am! 

• Options

Hi. Havent been out for much running at all lately. Done a couple of session this week and last weekend but pulled something in my back on Tuesday night when I attempted a speedwork session. My back still in bit of pain today, which doesnt bode well for running half marathon on Sunday.

Hope everyone enjoys running this weekend

• Options
    Seven bridge half marathon completed today. Brilliant event amazing running on the bridge. Very unique to be lucky enough to be part of the first race

Undulating route thst i expected but some of the hills definately took me by suprise especially the "big" hill.

My back went again like in training and struggled after mile ten

Overall given lack of training, back i am pleased to complete the race

Finish chip time confirmed 2hr 14min 53 seconds. I had somewhat of a sprint finish after coming up another hill to get under 2.15
  • Options

We'll done TF, I hope your back is feeling better now? Is that you done for now or did you have any more races planned this year? 

12.8 miles done on Saturday. Struggled somewhat as I forgot how boring long runs can be so I found myself looking forward to pedestrian crossings so that I could stop for a few seconds ha ha. Had a brief walk at 6 miles to take a gel and then after about 9 miles I was really struggling mentally even though my legs felt relatively fine. Had a couple more brief stops for around 30 seconds walk before finishing. So this weeks challenge is to do the whole route without any stops, although I'll be running in the evening and I usually find my energy levels are much much higher in evenings.  

I've got approx 5 weeks left to go now, with a hilly 10k race and a half marathon (which I'm doing instead of a training long run to break the monotony of training) before then. 

• Options

Well done TF, especially given the back issue. Hope it's improved since then.

HM fast approaching for me, nearly 4 weeks to go!

I was on holiday so been off the forum radar for a little while. Still training though, most recent highlight was a good 12.6 miles before going away.Good luck at the races Emjay!

• Options

Thanks Zicksi. Maidenhead half marathon today. My schedule said to hold a little in reserve and aim for a 02:02 finish/ 9:20 mm's. Was cruising round comfortably, not really struggling until the last mile or so, so I'm happy I'm on target for a sub 2 in a months time image

Annoyingly my finish time was over 02:03, but have just hooked up my garmin and it seems the first mile took almost 11 mins with the congestion which explains it. 

Am doing a 10k next weekend but I'll probably take it easy after today. 

Where are all the other sub 2'ers?! How is everyone getting on? 

• Options

Hope you had a good run today, Emjay!

I finished the Glasgow half marathon in 1:58. image

• Options

Hey zicksi! Well done! What was the race like? 

I did Bournemouth in 1:57! Chuffed to bits with my time and loved the route, will look at going back next year!