Options

Comrades 2015

1394041424345»

Comments

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

They asked him if he was still running and when he said yes, called him to the front!!

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

what, no drive through?

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Great report Mr K, loved reading it
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Mr K, great report - brilliant last line - don't leave us hanging - you have to go for back to back! What was your airline - they treated you so well!

I have suffered from PCB for a few days - post Comrades blues - I need to be back on that road - in that event. ! Have managed to address it with my own CBCM - Comrades blues counter measures - I recalled months back those Rock n Rollers contacted me to run Liverpool again this year with the enticement of their own back-to-back medal - the Encore medal. But I put it out of my mind with it running only a fortnight after Comrades...I've signed up for it, could have gone for the half but it didn't seem worth getting out of bed for. Ran for the first time since Comrades yesterday, just 5k to test the engines, for the first time this year I put the foot down, no need for caution...running is so life affirming...it felt superb. Those Rock n Rollers really know how to sucker you in...if I run their 5k on Saturday in addition to running anything on Sunday (which I am - the full marathon) you get yet another back-to-back medal! They now have all my cash and I am well bluesed out! I am going to run the slowest marathon ever and high five everyone in Liverpool - must go and purchase an inflatable guitar...yeehaar!       

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

My Comrades Journey

It’s hard to say when exactly my Comrades adventure began, I recall reading a short article about it in Runners’ World maybe 8 years ago, and the idea of the event appealed to me back then, I never seriously considered entering it, but it’s been in the back of my mind ever since. I stumbled across the 2014 forum at the start of May last year, and found that inspirational, seeing how everyone supported and encouraged each other, and by the beginning of June I had committed to running it in 2015. The journey had begun!

Planning the training gave me a good excuse to enter lots of different events, I don’t mind running on my own, but it is sometime good on long runs not to have to think about the route and to have food and drink provided. An unexpected bonus of doing this was meeting other people also doing Comrades, I recall one Saturday at my local parkrun asking a lady “Excuse me, this might sound a strange question, but are you know as Fido?” luckily I had was right and this was F2D from the forum, and she was the source of lots of great advice during my prep. Also met other Comrades runners in locations as diverse as Balmoral and Dorset villages, I might have been training for S.Africa, but it also provided motivation to run in various beautiful parts of Britain.

As the time approached, I felt ready! Training had gone to plan, a minor calf niggle occurred early April, would gradually get better, and then reappear again a few times, but whilst it meant I missed a few of my planned training runs in April and Early May it was never a concern, and meant I arrived in S.Africa having tapered well and ready to go!

Although I had only talked to people on the forum, or said a brief hello at races, it felt like I was meeting up with good friends, and the group of friends seemed to grow each day, and provided support and advice and reassurance to each other.

I visited the Expo on the Friday, and picked up a couple of pace bands, for 10h and 10h30. Based on my marathon times I thought this would be about right, without pushing too hard. My plan was simply to run at a pace that felt comfortable, but because of the hills I didn’t know what that pace would be, I’d intended to have a pace band to look at occasionally to see how I was doing. My intent was if I was going too fast I would slow down, I was going slower than the pace band suggested, I’d change my expectations about the finish time. I looked at the pace bands the day before the race – they were obviously wrong, suggesting I should do the first 7k in about 30 minutes and get to the 12k mark in 2 hours. They went in the bin. This was a great decision, it immediately felt like I had one less thing to think about!

Race day arrived, met Patricia in the Lobby shortly after 4am and walked to the start along with Several others, we got there nice and early, so no queue for the loo and easy to get into the pens, we were in Pen C, as we all moved forward in preparation for the start it was amazing how close we were to the start line, the time passed quickly it wasn’t long until we had the National Anthem, Shosholoza, Chariots of Fire, the Cock crowing, the gun, and we were off.

I enjoyed every step of the way, strangely it never seemed hard, I ran at a pace I found comfortable, walked occasionally when it felt appropriate – but not very often or for very long, my watch was set to bleep every 5 miles and that was the only time I ever looked at it…. First 5 was in 52 something, second 5 similar, so was going a bit faster than 11 minute miles so seemed about right for my guestimate of 10h20ish. The miles seemed to pass really quickly, looking at the views, enjoying the support and crowds, occasionally chatting with other runners, I w

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

I wasn’t taking too much notice of the km to go signs, but when I did I was always pleasantly surprised by how far I’d gone. I’d paid for the complete marathons support service, which meant I had a clean loo with no queue and little goody bag with stuff I knew I liked (lucozade sports drink, gels, some malt loaf) at 28, 46 and 68k, these broke the race up nicely and provided little treats to look forward to.

I recall seeing the 40k to go sign and thinking only 25 miles to go, and feeling good about that, and wondered at what point during my training had 25 miles become the sort of distance that I prefaced with “only”, rather than “still another”!

I just passed the 18km to so sign when my Garmin died, I knew from my training experience that it wouldn’t make the distance, and by that time it didn’t matter, not much more than 10miles left and still about 4hours till the gun fired, so I had no cares about time.

As I passed the 9k to go sign at the bottom of Polly Shortts, I think I heard someone say we had been going for 9 hours……. I thought maybe I’ll do this in under 10, but was happy to just see what happened no plans to speed up. I decided to have a short walk on Polly Shortts, after 2 lamp posts I decided to run again, as I pushed off to run, the pain in my calf I’d had during training shot through my leg, I swore briefly and returned to a walk, but nothing could spoil my happy relaxed mood, it was only a bit over 5 mile to go, and maybe around 3 hours left, I knew I good easily walk that if needed. Walked the rest of the way up PS, and decided to try running again….. it wasn’t too bad, I found I good run with a limp ok, and whilst I knew I was going slower than before it wasn’t a big issue. It wasn’t long before “only a parkrun” to go, then was almost there, negotiated the speed bumps and then was in the stadium and was crossing the finish line, was delighted to see the clock say 10:13.

Made my way to the international tent, and met up with others, Patricia was looking a little pale and Martin was looking after her….. wasn’t long before Patricia had her colour back and I was feeling a bit light headed, and Patricia looking after me! Whilst I’d felt great in the race, it had taken more out of me than I thought, I wanted to get up to watch other runners arriving in the stadium, but it was only just before the 12h gun, that I felt up to doing that.

I heard lots of people saying the heat had been a problem – strangely I had been OK with it, I’d been drinking water whenever I felt like it, and regularly emptied a bag of water over my head, and this seemed sufficient to stop me getting to hot – Thanks to F2D for her sauna prep tip, I think it really made a difference.

The hills weren’t as hard as I expected after the bus tour…. Oxfordshire isn’t known for its mountains, but the Ridgeway provides plenty of opportunity for good hill training!

I also heard lots of people say it was the hardest thing they had done, strangely I didn’t feel like that. Got me thinking how do you define the toughest thing you’ve done? It was certainly the longest, probably the day I have used more calories than any other, but I always felt I was in my comfort zone… to me pushing myself to do a PB in a shorter race would probably be tougher.  

And the big question, is my Comrades journey now over, or will I be back?

Before hand and immediately afterwards I had no intention of coming back in the short term, I loved the run and the training, I’ll definitely be doing more ultras, but there are so many to choose from and so many different places in the world I’d like to visit. I think I&rsquo

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

I think I’d like to go back in 2025 for the 100th Comrades.

By Monday I had changed from I won’t be doing it next year, to I probably won’t.

Today I found myself working out as the 2016 run is the day before the UK bank holiday, I’d only need to take 2 or 3 days off work….umm….. think I better start doing some downhill running,, I find that harder than up!

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Great report Mr K, loved reading it
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

McHilly, I was scared for you on Polly Shortts, thought something dreadful was about to go down! Wonderful read, you brought out something I never directly said...although in my reflections "thinking I could run forever" it is the same thing...I agree that the day was not the "toughest" thing I have ever done - it was epic - awe inspiring - incredible to be part of - I've been thinking that if I attacked it and pushed the envelope it would simply gobble me up and spit me out, that would be tough, but treat it with respect and it welcomes you with open arms. I too looked at the timings bands - there is another feel in your report, and I think I got to a similar "standard", you knew so, so much about this event even though you'd never run it to be "wise" about many aspects of it both prior and during the run - I popped my potential purchase back in the box I'd picked it from. 

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Well done everyone - this is (IMHO) the greatest footrace race in the world.  It is a great privilege to be able to run it. There are some great stories coming out and thanks for all your reports. 

With 2 years of inconsistent running and flu in the preceding days it was never going to be a fast run from me.  I got eaten and spat out by the 10hour bus, then the first 11 hour bus then the second 11 hour bus.  At the Lion Park turn-off (about 2km after Umlass road) I got eaten by the sub 11:30 hour bus.  I put my foot down from there and ran at the equivalent of tempo pace at that stage of the game including running 70% of Little Pollys and 50% of Big Pollys.  I managed to finish in 10:53 in the end after some seriously hard work.

I'm definitely in for 2016.  I've already started trainingimage

• Options
    Quick drop in to say hello, ... Admittedly a bit late, but big overlap with Facebook now. Facebook doesn't have the reports though.

Will read back everyone's reports, see I'm mentioned above in McHillys. Doesn't seem that long ago I was sat with Lorenzo at the airport on way back.

Feeling a bit of Comrades blues but still buzzing. The most fantastic race in the world.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I watched the recording of this year's race tonight.  Brought back fantastic memories, but what really stood out was the winning woman's race.  Caroline put in, what I think must have been one of the greatest runs in Comrades history.  Just brilliant.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Dannirr - where are you watching the recording - I found something on YouTube but it was missing the last half hour!

I am nursing two pretty badly hammered toes, the ones next to my big toes, having done the Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon last Sunday. I don't understand it at all, they are susceptible to a bit of damage and I regularly lose the nails from them, but, Comrades was a massively conditioning therapy for me. I guess because I was so measured. Hardly any bother to the legs in the following days, some toe blisters but not this feeling of bones warped out of their true. So I did 4:58 at Liverpool stopping loads of times to take photos, once or twice to dance, and even did a combined pastiche of Dannirr and SD calling in to Sefton Park Ice-Cream Parlour for a mint-choc cone which I used for an Olympic torch relay simulation to the delight of the crowd once outside. So how come my toes are so, so, battered? Its not like the course was that hilly. I'm temporarily even more dead scared of a down-run now.

Jelly Bean it was a pleasure to rattle your cage and bring your qualifying run up from the potential MK disaster. I'm still baffled at how you pulled a qualification out of the bag from apparently such low mileage and then took the big day in your stride too. Extraordinary! Well done!  

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Lowrez - that's the one I watched - yup, missing the most important bit!  And irritating int hat the talked all over the start.

Becca - brilliant finish from you on that video image

Lowrez - I'm impressed you did a marathon this past weekend.  I only had my first run today and it was just 3 miles.  I'm taking Lyndsey's advice seriously this year.

• Options
    Lowrez was that you I shouted hello comrade at R&R? Our club were on the water station at mile 24. Two runners with Comrades tops on, one a 2015 male, one a female 2014.

Route didn't look too bad, not hilly, Maybe cumulative damage catching you? My legs certainly aren't 100% right yet, Patricia similar I think. Toes and nails... Loved the ice cream torch though.

Did manage to get a tan. Nothing in SA..5 hours in UK with sunblock on. Funny.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Dannirr - There is a short clip on a mobile phone in amongst the other offerings from within the pens at the start, its not continuous, but it brought back that wonderful feeling as shosholoza rang out. Did you know you can grab the content using "keepvid" if you want to store it for posterity yourself. One reason I did Liverpool was to bring my spirits back up having got a slight case of "Comrades blues", but another was the bling on offer:-

/members/images/54278/Gallery/med.jpg

From left to right, last year's marathon, Saturday's 5k, Sunday's marathon, the Encore medal for running back to back marathons, the Remix medal for running on the Saturday and the Sunday. So I netted 4 very nice looking medallions for running 2 races, I could have got the Encore by "just" running the half on Sunday but I really was feeling great and tbh I would have felt a bit of a wimp claiming the Encore on that basis. It was great walking back to the underground along the waterfront clanking away with the 3 medals they handed out on the Sunday 

FRC I think you are right, its a simple case of accumulated damage, although going into it I felt marvellous, even my Comrades exploded blister stood up to the additional miles. I wasn't in Comrades garb until the apres marathon I had a Pink Floyd embroidered vest with a flying pig on my back - all my own work! Yes, funny sun? I put the same sun block on that I used at Comrades and was mildly red in the face despite that. Need to realise though we are "up north" a lot further than SA and the days are a lot longer. Well done on supporting us runners, that 24 mile water station is the most welcome drink of all. So are you local to Liverpool? I am running the "Sport in the Port" 10k on Sunday at Ellesmere Port, will just be jogging around for fun dressed up as a woman this time image more charity antics.

Dannirr - what is Lindsay's advice on recovery? I haven't seen that slice. I guess I am oblivious to more "best practice" - I will ultimately learn though - don't want this toe disturbance again.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Lyndsey advises not to run at all for 2 weeks (3 actually but he acknowledges that no-one does that), and then reverse taper for the next 6-8 weeks.  He says that this will ensure much better running later in the year.  And after his results this year, its hard to argue with him!   

I remember last year for about 6 weeks my running was poor - I was slower than usual, tired etc.  Today I did 3 miles - and although my pace was fine, it felt like hard work.  First run since Comrades.

I want to really work hard for the Chicago Marathon, so recovery now is really important to me.  I think for the next 3 weeks or so I might do all my runs on an AlterG treadmill to really enhance recovery.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Dannirr - I will do something similar post Sunday's 10k, a 5k "a week on Tuesday" after Comrades followed by another on the Saturday and a marathon on the Sunday isn't really a "reverse taper". I can hear Lindsay tutting at me as I type. In my defence I am feeling really alive in my running and on the marathon I employed a new run-photograph approach that I am thinking of patenting; stopped at least 50 times to snap. I particularly like this one:-

/members/images/54278/Gallery/Liv.jpg

Have you run Chicago before? I did it in 2008 it hit 29 centigrade and what I thought was going to be a pb attempt turned into a survival battle. It remains my slowest marathon ever at 5:30. I think that was the second year in a row they'd had a freak heat wave, the previous year a runner died in the heat, 2008 came within a degree of being abandoned. The marshals were all absolutely brilliant thrusting water at us, recommending we walked etc. It is a fantastic run, flat as a pancake! 

Do you think we should fire up a 2016 Comrades thread - is a one time novice like me "allowed" to do that?

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Anyone is lowrez!

Danirr, I am now being "sensible" and staying off the running. Have a discount gym membership and go aquajogging there with a mate recovering from a stress fracture ... Must find some "what to do with a kettle bell" stuff on YouTube. So my running should be FAB. I must go and wave the knee at my (running) GP at some point and get official advice, now it's been long enough that the underlying issue rather than going 55 miles on it is the problemimage
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Do it lowrez. Impressive bling from Liverpool by the way.

I did a small, inaugural, half marathon for me on Saturday.  Pace not bad but I still have Comrades in my legs I think.  Still good enough for me to win my age group.  

I would like to run Chicago one year.  Focus this autumn will be on getting a decent marathon time at Kosice or Leicester.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

OMG - I did it - another novice thing to tick off the list - afraid I got all soft and lyrical again image

Well done Becca - age group gold! image

Those other two, are they your Comrades qualifier targets? Go discuss them in "Comrades 2016"! image