Options

Asics262 - 2015

Comments

• Options

Malcs - Phew!! PS, I'm @Bristol_Jane on Twitter, we were tweeting each other earlier. 

• Options

Good luck everyone, have a great Friday, and hope you get shortlisted image

• Options

Thanks, Booktrunk! I'm busy reading all the threads from the five winners last year. It's extremely exciting, and you all have such inspiring stories. Just getting through to bootcamp is a privilege... anything else will be a massive bonus. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone who managed to get through. Enjoy Friday and be yourselves. Just think of it as a hard session on the track and you will be fine (says he who has never been there !!) image

• Options
    Frocker wrote (see)

Thanks, Booktrunk! I'm busy reading all the threads from the five winners last year. It's extremely exciting, and you all have such inspiring stories. Just getting through to bootcamp is a privilege... anything else will be a massive bonus. image

A privilege to have to pay transport and accommodation and to run around a track,  just to find out afterwards they decided not to do your category afterall......this happened on one year that I know of.image

Its only worth it if you get  to be one of the lucky 5image

hope the weather is fine for you all on Friday

• Options

I disagree, I think it's a fun day, you get to meet lots of lovely runners and even if you don't get picked but choose to run a Spring marathon, then you might get a lot out of following the winners. I think following James' thread last year helped me get a PB, especially as we'd got on so well at bootcamp.

• Options

Well... obviously I haven't yet been to boot camp so I don't know what it will be like. But based on what other people have said on RW forum threads, and what I've found by searching online, it seems like everyone who's done it previously (whether they were selected or not) had a very positive experience, and learned a lot from the experts and the other runners.

I'm a fairly new runner (been going about a year), but I'm super keen and committed, so am really open to learning from those with considerably more experience than me... and I just love chatting to people about running without their eyes glazing over, and I'd hazard a guess that everyone else who will be there on Friday will feel the same image.

• Options

I'll chat about running until everyone falls asleep given half the chance......to be in a room full of people who actually know what i'm on about will be different!!!

I got to bootcamp 3 or 4 years ago and it was a great day, happened to be snowing heavily and very very cold so i think the conditions may be slightly better this year, but i had a great experience and was disappointed not to get any further...have to shine a bit brighter this year!!!! (A 3am train journey start last time didn't help me i don't think, so driving this year with a 5am start instead!!!)

• Options

Andrea - Wow, either a 3am or 5am start is true dedication in my book! I'm wussing out and staying in a hotel the night before to avoid the early start. Am also hopeless with driving directions, so would probably end up getting terribly lost and not turning up until lunch if I drove up the same morning image

The instructions in the email yesterday to wear lots of thin layers was telling about how much of the day we'll be outside I think!! 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I would have loved to get the call but sadly did not.

Whatever people think about this, we live in a commercial world and people get exploited all the time.

But from my reading of the threads over the last few years by in large everyone who goes to bootcamp hass a great experience and meets like minded people. You only get out of these things what you put in. So getting to boot camp is great.

And those who make the final selection will have a mega experience.

And those who get through to the vote off but no further will be gutted for a while. But they will ahve made great friends and got loads of advice and had a great (although tough) training session.

And you never know they might be back on here next year having got selected again.

So best of luck to those who are on there way. Looking forward to hearing how you all get on.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Some dodgy characters on here I see image

Out of interest, does anyone know if there will be a voting stage again. Only the website indicates they are going from 50 to 5, with no mention of voting.

I hope not - I know lots of people that are put off entering by that part and it's,also, unfair on those that just don't have time to spend a whole week canvassing.

Do you know Malcs?

• Options

I was told that it will be voting but the Judges will have the final say.  I think RW understood how stressful it was for the finalists last year.  It almost put me off reapplying!

Also, has everyone got their RW bootcamp email? Am yet to receive mine.  It's not like I don't know what to expect though..and yes, lots of getting chilly outside is one of them!

• Options

Ruffles, I read that somewhere as well (but can't find it now) - that there will be voting for the final five in each category, but the judges have final discretion. I got my email yesterday, which was to confirm the details we originally sent and to confirm we would attend on Friday, and it said there would be a second email during the week with a proper itinerary for Friday. It was from Brooke Bickmore.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruffles - you have the timings and travel details, right? And you know it's not at the University like last year?

Frocker - aha, connection made image 

DS2! image

As the others have said there will be a vote this year I believe. I didn't know that there would be a judges final say though. Last year they were very clear that it would be all on the vote. 

I wonder if they are dropping the vote counters then? Last year it was murder having them shown on the web site for all to see. Even in the final minutes they were changing. It was agony.

I think it would be difficult to have a public vote counter where someone could be seen to win but then not get put through.

Gotta agree with the pro bootcamp sentiment. I am biased of course but I think it's worth every penny of the travel money. 

I take your point seren but I think RW, Asics and the bootcampers all benefit from the day. The travel costs may be higher but apart from that is it really that different from entering a race event? You get a great experience, meet some fantastic people and at the end of it have the chance of an experience of a lifetime. I'd pay my travel money for that any day.

• Options

Hi all, as one of the lucky 50 just wanted to say Hi to all my fellow boot campers and a big thank you to every one for sharing their experiences of what to expect from previous years boot camps. After the initial excitement I am starting to get a little nervous about what lies ahead but its great to hear about all the positive experiences people have had and I cant wait to be part of this positive experience! 

• Options

Anyone else driving from Wales????

• Options

Malcs - have had nothing apart from the call from RW saying I'm in! I know it's at the stadium but nothing else.  I'll give RW a nudge tomorrow if still no word.

Andrea at RW also told me it would be Judges' final say, probably because she knows I ensured the torture of the voting last year!  No idea how they'll work it though.  I'd be happy if they got rid of the counters.  It was stressful watching them.

Even though this will be my 2nd yr at bootcamp, I still think it's a great day out!

• Options

Hi everyone. As with other years, 50 become a reduced number after bootcamp to then face the final hurdle to become one of the chosen 5. I did speak with Andrea at RW about the voting given there were concerns over it last year and it will be decided more like 2012 competition. There will be voting to assess what interest there is in ones who make it through to the final hurdle and the judges will also have a say in who is finally chosen. This seems to be the fairest way.

Ruffles I had to chase my email this afternoon but have it now. Best to check in with them, I used the tel number they call me on, DM me on twitter if you need it.

Personally, the chance to spend the day with 49 other likeminded runners and the coaches and the excellent RW team is something I would happily pay money for. It is an experience many would jump at given the tweets and posts from those disappointed. I was absolutely gutted to fail last year but the best man from my category was chosen and I fully embraced and followed his journey and have learnt so much from this. I would love to try and emulate Malcs

Seren you make an excellent point about the disbanding of a category, this did seem harsh and I would be gutted but I would return to my point above about why I entered, to get better and this I did and believe I would again.

I haven't posted much since May as I have been writing elsewhere but I have been lurking. The benefits of last years bootcamp for me have been new PBs at Half 5K and 20 miles and a better understanding of training. I would not have got these without attending bootcamp or following Malcs journey or from the forum.

I cannot wait for bootcamp and to meet some old friends and make new ones, see you there. imageimageimage

• Options

the disbanding has happened a few times and seems  really shit for anyone involved....I hope they don't do that this year.and last years voting campaign away from the forums with counters made it a nightmare.

i really think they should do away with the voting as it bugs the regulars that people come on and try to say vote for me but do not like tough questions that would show the true type of person they are and bugger off as soon as they have lost........and as the judges have the final vote I wish they would just make the decision after bootcamp....

whilst i appreciate that some people will make better magazine stories with their backround and their photogenic smiles......the best threads here over the years are the ones that really make the effort to include and bring in others on the same journey and who share part of the real them.warts and all. bad runs and good....

the problem is once someone has won then their is no way that RW can make them keep up a thriving busy thread as they have already won... so many say that they are too busy to post everyday... which is sad 

• Options

seren      You make excellent points. All of them excellent.

I hope the winner of the sub 3-30 follows Malcs and Sarahs example of the last couple of years, excellent threads and ones I lurked on and then actively got involved and followed. It is what RW and asics want but of course they cant guarantee.

• Options

for the last few years at least one of those selected at bootcamp didn't post at all even after selection......

It makes you think did they not read the part about winners interacting on a busy thread.....

luckily none of those got chosen...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    To be fair both those threads were exceptional Superman! I think Malcs moved it into another level. image
  • Options

That thread was exactly what RW and Asics must have dreamed of Minni.

Maybe its time to get a superhero makeover image

*gets his coat and leaves before being pelted* image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I think it's a damned shame that Seren has never been chosen for this. She stirs up a lot of posts every year and gets people debating. I followed her Forum 6 thread and it was excellent and she's certainly committed.

I'm surprised people are on their second outing to boot camp when excellent candidates like Seren are shunned.

Come on RW!
  • Options

Minni... I think they need people to totally focus on the marathon.I usually have many other races going on.  and I'm not very photogenic....image

I only enter so that I can have a right to moan at those who win.....same as in the general elections....

if you don't enter or vote then you have no right to moan at those who get through......

I won't ask any probing questions this year.....its usually good to see who has some humour or quick comebacks and who gets all huffy...

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

To be fair, I think seren's commitment to these forums has yet to be proven. Let's be honest - can anyone with under 35,000 posts really be taken seriously? I hate to be the one to say it but part timers like these are never going to stay the courseimage

PS. I think they ripped up the photogenic rule book and threw it into the Seine when they got me last year! 

I've followed many of the Asics 262 threads and in my view Sarah's blows them all out of the water. I don't think she will ever be surpassed. Ady's was great last year too but Sarah's was epic. On top of that, her story is incredible.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/cobbles-and-red-wine---sarahs-paris-marathon-plan-sub-335/235796.html

• Options

As a newbie to this competition I didn't realise all the 'drama' of voting from last year, I work for a social media website (The Student Room for those that are interested!) and I know how valuable the community is so I think it's a good idea to get the community to have their say on the selected 5 as they will be ones following the selected 5's journey to marathon finish. However I am glad that the judges have the final say as they are the people that will (hopefully!) get to know us all at bootcamp.

I'm really excited and honored to be part of this years bootcamp. Just this one day will benefit my running and I will no doubt be able to take away priceless information, tips and techniques as well as meeting like minded runners - who have been super friendly and equally enthusiastic so far!. It's totally worth the travel and expense!

As I said I am a newbie to this competition and only started reading RW this year but I have loved running for years but 2014 was the year I felt like I could call myself a 'runner'. I  started my blog this year because I love telling people about my experiences and love to document it. I'm by no way means the best, quickest or experienced of runners but from this and my enthusiasm about running I've had several friends tell my that I have inspired them to run and to become more active, so it proves that if I can do it anyone can! So if I get through don't worry, I'll be spilling the highs and lows of my training on the forums, on my blog and to anyone who will listen! Hehe.