Options

Dog Biting

2»

Comments

• Options

I feel I should also mention a lady with two black labs recently on the Guild Wheel round Preston. As we approached the lady signalled and the dogs just sat down and waited until we passed them. Excellent owner and dogs

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Nope, sorry, I have no intention of choosing my running wardrobe to cater for canine colour preferences.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Maybe Colin is onto something: I was once told it was my fault that a dog jumped up at me because I was wearing yellow. She also said that I shouldn't be on the footpath through the park as this was for "people walking their dogs" so I'm not sure how credible her initial point was.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think I'd rather attract a dog than a bull.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Oh and I did wear red once running through a field with a bull in it.
    He completely ignored me.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I'm not scared of dogs in general but an American bulldog than I almost ran into on Friday, got my heart rate racing. He was s big dopey and friendly mutt but I spooked him and he then stood his ground and I had to take evasive action to avoid falling over him. Then yesterday the Labrador who was barking and jumping up and down while circling a cyclist also got my heart rate up, mostly because the stupid owner was saying 'he never does that' and half blaming the cyclist for... Cycling. That also got the blood pumping.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I think the red rag is only hated by Bulls who have been tortured by folk who wave red rags while they inflict their cruelty.
  • Options

I did a trail marathon yesterday.  Beautiful day so lots of dog walkers out.  We were warned that one of the by ways that our route took in was open to all traffic and to watch out for trail and quad bikes.  Woman had a lively staffie off the lead and how it didn't get run over by the trail bikes I have no idea.  She kept calling him, but he had his paws in his ears not listening.  The staffie then decided he'd try and take a few runners out too.  I love dogs but if you cannot keep them under control, put them on a lead.  And if they have a tendancy to like the taste of runners/general public/other dogs, muzzle them for everyones peace of mind.

• Options

The thing about bulls and the colour red is a load of tosh - they are colour blind. Dogs also only see in certain colours. 

For dogs, I would imagine they only chase runners as they are 'running' - it's an instinct thing - prey generally runs away......

As for bulls some breeds are more inclined to be aggressive and chase, whilst others aren't.

• Options

I've found out recently my sweat acts as Canine Catnip.

Dogs have been getting more excited around me recently including many jumping up and pawing me and culminating in a bite last Friday. I am wary of them all now and think I shocked a yorkie that ran up and barked at me by shouting at it and chasing it...the owner wasn't best pleased but I had a few other words for her.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sunday is 'dog' day where I am. 55 counted on my XC run. Today over more or less the same loop, it was maybe 10.

Some of the names I hear are laughable. Colin, Roger, Beagle (it was Beagle) and Eileen of all things. 'Come on Eileen!'

🙂

• Options

Instead of talking about destroying badly behaved dogs carte blanche, try discussing making owners go to dog training classes with their hounds.  Because ultimately its not the dogs who are at fault, its the irresponsible owners who fail to adequately provide social boundaries for their hounds.  

I have two dogs (collie and cocker spaniel),one of whom, the collie, is now terrified of men on bicycles after having one thrown at him because he barked (once, without biting) at a man on a bike.  The result is, we are having to train him out of barking at men on bicycles, which we're doing using simple treat training and lots of praise and comfort.  He's not an aggressive dog but is actually genuinely terrified after someone essentially assaulted him.  Ultimately though, it is my responsibility to reassure and train him whenever he's presented with a situation that scares him.  I know and accept that basic fact of dog ownership.

My major bug bear with dog owners is the lazy fucking bastards that don't pick up after their dogs.  Brings the responsible amongst us in to disrepute and bugs the fucking tits off me.   

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Go to Old Lodge Common Stanmore. The owners who empty their dogs and leave the mess where it is, use the term woodland to the limit.

Logic dictates that taking a dog for a walk and having no poo bag or an empty one after, means one thing. And that thing isn't still in that dog.

Its lying in wait for an un wary Gucci or Ugg.

🙂

• Options

Or in my case last week, one of a pair of Karrimor walking boots!  Makes me so angry when people don't collect after their dogs.  Like I say, it paints the rest of us in a bad light.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭

crazy - your incident sounds tame until the bike throwing bit. i wrote this a while back.

Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    I'm not scared of dogs in general but an American bulldog than I almost ran into on Friday, got my heart rate racing. He was s big dopey and friendly mutt but I spooked him and he then stood his ground and I had to take evasive action to avoid falling over him. Then yesterday the Labrador who was barking and jumping up and down while circling a cyclist also got my heart rate up, mostly because the stupid owner was saying 'he never does that' and half blaming the cyclist for... Cycling. That also got the blood pumping.

Gideon Levy wrote (see)

my dog once set off after some bloke who was land surfing on the local playing fields and she was trying to nip his ankles. not sure when i'll get to work on that one specificall but i have got her tonthe point now where she wont even fo after a cat in our garden without checking it is ok first. which it always is

• Options
    Crazy Diamond wrote (see)

Instead of talking about destroying badly behaved dogs carte blanche, try discussing making owners go to dog training classes with their hounds.  Because ultimately its not the dogs who are at fault

Beth Roberts wrote (see)

For dogs, I would imagine they only chase runners as they are 'running' - it's an instinct thing - prey generally runs away......

Er...yes it is the dogs fault, it's their natural instinct. We eradicated natural wolves in this country hundreds of years ago because they were dangerous and replaced them with man made ones - just as dangerous.

There's no such thing as canine eugenics!

• Options
    Colin's not such a bad name for a dog. I'd need to see the dog first though. He might look more like a Trevor.
  • Options
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

Instead of talking about destroying badly behaved dogs carte blanche, try discussing making owners go to dog training classes with their hounds.  Because ultimately its not the dogs who are at fault

Beth Roberts wrote (see)

Er...yes it is the dogs fault, it's their natural instinct. We eradicated natural wolves in this country hundreds of years ago because they were dangerous and replaced them with man made ones - just as dangerous.

Errr no it's not Lardarse - it's the owner who lets the dog chase that is at fault, not the dog.  Stop trolling off logical knowledgable comments.

• Options
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

Beth Roberts wrote (see)

Dogs can be trained to do anything if the owner is prepared to put the time and effort in. And that includes stopping them from chasing after people.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

To many dog owners, we don't qualify as 'people'. No, we're just some stupid c..ts taking the piss out of them (being fat bas..ds) while running around in our underwear.

Looking at the state of them 'sans' underwear, shame we can't set their own dogs on them. They'd probably get indigestion.

🙂

• Options
    So beth, you're refuting your previous statment then? How was I trolling off your comment?
  • Options
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)
    So beth, you're refuting your previous statment then? How was I trolling off your comment?

Erm, because you're a flaccid small penised troll who is looking for reaction, teeny dick sized ego in palm, rather than adding anything useful to the conversation about dog handling to prevent biting.

But please, feel free to add something relevant or useful to the conversation at any time soon.