Options

A marathon in high heels

Can't believe this would be possible, but then I can't believe even walking in 5" heels would be close to impossible

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2816979/Mother-five-person-world-run-marathon-HIGH-HEELS.html 

Comments

• Options
    Fair play to her if she can do it, I'm like you Andy I cant believe it would be possible, my feet hurt after a half marathon and I'm wearing cushioned trainers. She's even aiming for a sub 4 hour time. I hope she achieves it but maybe that's a bit ambitious.

I think it said in the article that she is only allowed four pairs of identical shoes for the race, i cant see four pairs lasting, I would imagine the heels would snap. Hope she proves me wrong!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Looks like a publicity stunt to me.

on her training schedule of 2 runs a week she'd be lucky to get round in 4hrs in a pair of trainers. 

I applaud her determination but it seems  like the figures have just been plucked from thin air. 

• Options

I assume she is going to run more... Just two of them in the heels. image 

• Options

Not gonna happen imho.

Andy, you were too fast at Loch Ness but I passed 2 people who where forefoot running and their heels were a good inch away from landing - must have been painful.

• Options

Yikes image Those are definitely car-to-bar shoes ! ambitious to say the least ...reckon the guy I saw at Chester marathon 6 miles in and who was in agony trying to run on the painted white lines to ease his pain had more of a chance..... image

Good luck to her image

• Options
    Better her than me! ( i cant even walk 100m in heels) Good luck to her but I have my doubt she will manage a 4h marathon.
  • Options
    HaHa HeatherS I've never heard the saying car-to-bar shoes but that's definitely a good description. I've spent many an evening walking really really slowly with my wife as she takes 10 minutes to walk from the car to the bar in heels. Cant imagine anyone walking marathon distance in them, let alone in a very respectable time!!
  • Options

Unless she has an exceptionally high pain threshold I can't see it happening - and certainly not in 4 hours. 

• Options

Well, she's done a spin marathon (?!) so this running a marathon lark should be easy enough, even in heels. image

actually, I think she's trying to blag a pair of Jimmy Choos.

• Options

Ha ha Jen that thought did cross my mind, 4 free pairs of Jimmy Choos.

The 4 hour target on 2 runs a week just makes it even more unbelievable. If she does go ahead with the plan she may never walk again, at least not in high heels after she's destroyed her feet trying.

@Ecce I'm more of a mid foot striker, only up on my toes for short sprints

• Options

even if she fails there is honour in de feet

• Options

agree ... sub 4 is impossible for her.to finish in under 7 hrs would be amazing.she is showing off one pair.but what is the minimum height she would need for the record.....

she has done well to get publicity and hopefully will raise money for the charity......I can't see her making the start line though if she trains in them.... injury will hit

• Options

Seren, 3 inches for the record, but her shortest pair is 5 inches.

The report says she's done a half before, but not how long ago, time etc. 

The best I think she can get out of this is a few freebies and a run at London, in normal trainers. At worst, crippled for life. My money is on her intention is and was only the first part.

Me, a cynic? image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Chimney wrote (see)

Seren, 3 inches for the record, but her shortest pair is 5 inches.

The report says she's done a half before, but not how long ago, time etc. 

The best I think she can get out of this is a few freebies and a run at London, in normal trainers. At worst, crippled for life. My money is on her intention is and was only the first part.

Me, a cynic? image

That Half Marathon was the Pittsburg HM on 5th March, 2009 - there is no finish time for her however, it looks like she never finished.

I do not believe she would be able to run a full marathon in high heels, even if they were 3" high, let alone anything higher.  I certainly do not believe she would be able to run the marathon in four hours.

• Options
    I think she is looking for 3 inch heels..those ones are just for the photos....maybe 3 inches wedgytype ones will be OK to run..she said her half is just over 2 hours....that could mean anything.
  • Options

Can't see the likes of Jimmy Choo, Stella Mc or Victoria Beckam  getting involved with anything so ridiculous it's not like they need the publicity.

I can't see Elastoplast wanting to put their name to it too ....I think if she actually finishes she will need more than a few blister plasters.

Its given her a great platform though for drawing attention to the charities she is raising money for though. .....er what where they ? image

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I tried on a pair of 5 inch heels once.

Well, when I say 'tried on', I couldn't actually get my feet into the right shape to actually get them into the shoes.  Even my tippiest tiptoe form didn't get my heels high enough to land on the heel part of the shoe, and trying just gave me cramp.

I couldn't wear them for 4 minutes sitting down, never mind 4 hours running.

Good luck to her.  I suspect she may need it.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Maybe shes a forefoot striker

• Options
    Nayan wrote (see)

Maybe shes a forefoot striker

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1300713/thumbs/o-MATHIEU-VALBUENA-570.jpg?6

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Toenail striker, more like.

• Options
    I must remember to revisit this thread after the race and check on her times.

Good luck to her - so long as she doesnt beat me anyway. image
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You know people are too harsh. If we're going to slate her for wearing ridiculous shoes we may as well slate people for wearing a rhino costume or carrying a fridge on their back.

I'm assuming she's using this as an attention grabbing angle to raise money, mind you...

• Options

I'd love to see someone dressed as a rhino in high heels, wearing a fridge on their back, complete a marathon.  I'd definitely buy them a pint in the Chandos for that.  image

• Options
    Is she going to train in the heels ? Or not bother to train anyway ?
  • Options
    She has done a spinning marathon Dave - so thats almost as good eh ?
  • Options
    Better I would have thought
  • Options

I'd be tempted to say I could do a spinning marathon in high heels - they do make high heels with spd cleats don't they image

• Options
    I do believe you would find heels with spds if you looked hard enough. Fairly sure some company made some for some silly reason.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Sounds no more stupid than a BMW x6 if they did.

• Options

It's obviously a stunt / gimmick, like running as part of a caterpillar. Why?It does look like she's putting a bit more thought into it.

Seems like her shoes are being made for the event, 5" heels with 1/4" across. She says she is going to follow a traditional 16 week marathon training plan, has a personal trainer and is learning to mid / forefoot strike.

Ambitious? Foolhardy?

Whatever, running a marathon forefoot striking is tough in trainers, let alone heels. Does she grasp how fatigued she'll get. 

Oh and she is saying sub 5 hrs now.