Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Slowkoala - I think I tend to run mile 4 a bit quick as well, as you're coming off the downhill. 

Angela - no pressure but I ran my 3.16 PB off a 1.36 spring half....image

In all my excitement about Cranleigh I totally forgot an even more important report - the pre-marathon haircut report. So here goes....

I arrived a few minutes late, so was panicking a bit, but soon settled down.  Like with my shoes I had an all important colour choice to make, and I think I got it right - same as the last few times, as I reckoned it's too late in the programme to be experimenting with anything new.

The first section involved foils - normally of course foil appears after the event, so this was a bit different, but I soon got used to it.  There was quite a bit of chatter as well, which normally I don't like as it plays with my concentration. But as I was taking things easy I joined in.

Mid way through came a change of direction - and a change of chairs - as I waited for the colour to take. I took the opportunity though to practice my nutrition strategy - one cup of coffee and a couple of OK magazines.  Hmm...not sure about the second one, might go with Hello next time as it's slightly easier on the stomach.

Now things got wetter - warm showers - but I was still feeling good, and past half way. I started then to feel a breeze around my ears as the scissors did their work. And then - bliss - a lovely warm breeze. And then at last we were into the final straight(eners) and over the line.  Probably not a PB haircut, but good enough and sets me up nicely for the marathon image

• Options

Love your haircut report image. Ok your conversion has made me think 3:25ish is ago/ spent so much time in the last few years working on endurance and getting the nutrition right- I'm sure the ultra training will have helped with that too... Ok, 7:50 pace it is image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Angela - yes, go for it. You are confident in your endurance, so once you get into your rhythm I'm sure you'll stick with it.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ha ha love your report Freemers.

Angela I agree with the swimming. But you are tackling a HIM this year - that would be top stressful for me to consider at the moment. Must buy a wetsuit.
  • Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

super - I'm booked on the 20.01 train from st pancras.  Arrive fairly late but was tough to get the day off work.  you on train too?

Re your revised 2015 goals.  Mine are very similar.  I sneaked in for the sub 90 HM in feb, but summer is hopefully going to be all about having a proper crack at sub 40 10k and sub 19 5k. I like the idea of a head-to-head somewhere once paris is out of the way!

Malcs - thanks for the packing list. comprehensive

• Options

If anyone gets the Sussex Sport Photography News Blog I am the one at the Spitfire 20 wearing the Xempo top & SSP buff. Talk about sucking up to the sponsors although the top was a last minute change so my fairyclogs vest would stay clean for the Brighton Marathon. 

I really should go for a run but it's sooooooo cold. Think a gym session may have to do instead. 

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

haha, excellent haircut report, Freemers image

It's right up there with Tim's rest day report image

Fairy: yeah, 'tis cold again image  spring has sprung away.

13 miles for me bright and early. Of course it started snowing about half a mile from my house and continued for another 3 image. Just so I got wet (it was the thick, really wet kind of flakes). I was so cold when I got back home that I had trouble opening the front door image and my toes and fingers had gone all white.

Sooooo glad this is a long bank holiday weekend image

• Options
    Gosh I'm stunned to be hearing about this weather - gloriously sunny here, although I just di an hour on the bike this morning, I did spend a couple of hours running up and down the road between banks in a farcical effort to transfer funds before the Bank Hols - ended up moving swiftly with a wodge of cash in my pocket in an unscheduled fartlek session.

Well done for running in that chicksta.

Angela I have the scales at home too, & don't bother with them much as the results vary so much.

Minni what you say about barriers is so true. I rememebr my brother trying to break 3 hours and he clocked 3:00:12, 3:00:07, went less than a minute over about 5 times...& I've done 3 HM PBs 2 seconds apart but can't get under 1:50.

SK - I keep my Garmin @ current mile, I think it used to be at current moment, which ked for a lot of panic and sprinting. I know what it needs to be saying even if that's not terribly accurate as to what I'm actually doing if that makes any sense.

I think mile 4 is often faster for me too because I get going a little bit during the previous mile, then get clogged up again.

Freemers your haircut bears no resemblance to mine then as I was in and out in less than 5 minutes this morning, hadn't been for a year. Loved your version.
  • Options

Malcs I love your calculations. When you break it down like that to 5ks it all seem so much simpler. Bitesize chunks are indeed the way forward. image

Minni And spot on, no superhero heroics in Paris, just doing what it takes for that 3:29:59. Well done on the Marine Corps Marathon. Seems the way to get a place in a marathon ballot is to not expect it and then hey presto, you are in!! 

Puffsta Great running there, superb timing. And I know what you mean about a run where cant wait to get out for the next one. I love it when its like that. That really was one excellent run. Are you starting to feel confident now?

SK have a great Easter, I love the dales, be a great LSR for you. I have my garmin showing current mile pace but I think your average pace is an excellent idea. No final decision on pacing yet to report. I will post it up as soon as possible. I am leaning towards starting at a nice 7.58 pace and get quicker. image  Is the tendon fully healed up now? 

Ruffles Keep the faith it'll all come back good in the end and quicker than you think. I reckon you will PB and surprise yourself but I know how it must feel right now with some lethargic tough runs. Hang in there! 

Freemers I love your haircut report, absolutely brilliant. I was scared at first the foils might scupper the right result but it seems you coped admirably. Sounds like you are indeed set up nicely?? 

Sense I am going out on the Friday, one of the morning trains. Good head to head idea!! And summer racing will be good with our Paris goals nailed. image

Fairyclogs I love your pics, I might try and get a link to it later. Its excellent! Hope you have enjoyed the gym! 

Chicksta Cannot believe the weather you had on your run, well done on the run by the way, but to feel that cold....brrrrrr!! 

Reikirabbit Where have you been hanging out today. Not gloriously sunny down in Sussex, peeing with rain most of the day. The sun did peep out just before it settled down for the night before Mr Moonface went behind the clouds. All confident for this weekends running? 

• Options

I have swapped days today. An absolutely manic day at work, started at 5.30am and only finished an hour ago. Very very tired and I am not sure there is anything to be gained for me going out now and training. I feel its best to switch todays session for tomorrows rest day. I hope this is wise?? 

• Options
    Costa del East End Super, lovely all day here.

Looking forward to the long one on Saturday, although am sacriicing both parkrun and a memorial 10K to stick with tradition.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - lol image Ah well, I guess nobody can blame you for signing up for the marines. What was it that attracted you to that one I wonder?image

Actually, I have a feeling I knew this - sorry, memory failure!

Good to hear that your running is going well. I'm sure you'll be back up to your previous crazy mileage before you know it.

Ruffles - stick at it, you'll soon be feeling more spritely. Just keep the runs going and in a week you'll have way more energy.

Btw. I can't believe I missed that you were on honeymoon! Hope you had an amazing time!

Freemers - lol, awesome hair report! Sadly I'm not capable of attempting a marathon haircut, genetics dictate that I have to stick to the short stuffimage

Angela - agree with Freemers, get into a rhythm and you'll be fine. 7:50 seems a very good target pace.

Fairyclogs - ha image Awesome sucking up there, love it!

reikirabbit - don't look at the forecast for tomorrow!!!

chicksta - your tales of horrendous running conditions never fail to make me feel grateful for any minor discomfort I may have to put up with. Really hope you've managed to thaw out by now!

Tim - I think the weather is going to be worse tomorrow but I think running in the light and when you're feeling more perky will more than make up for it. Right decision!

6 miles with 4 @ HMP for me today. In the second mile my eyes went really funny - think I left it too close to lunch time and my blood sugar was a bit low. Thankfully it didn't last long but it was quite weird. Kept seeing red and green.

• Options

Oi you lot! .... where've you all been???... it seems you've all been on another planet [says sheepishly] - the 6 week flu eventually went away and I've managed five and a half weeks of training since, 32M, 39M, 37M, 45M, 26M... including 3 x 20M and a parkrun 21:38 (second best time) and last weekend a HM PB at Paddock Wood 1:46:58... I did this as a progression run based on heart rate which turned out as 6M@8:25s, 4M@8:05s and 3M@7:50 ... what an amazingly strong feeling to negative split.. I am taking that strategy to Paris, oh yes I am!

The HR strategy is based on the following calculator for anyone who is interested, it's called MARCO and I just love not focusing on pace anymore.. here's a link to my Paris strategy based on my HM PB time plugged into the calculator, for anyone considering HR strategy... https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=21&hh=01&mm=46&ss=58&bt=171&un=K&th=MARCO&pg=Exec 

It's been far too long .. I've missed you bunch of amazing PB thrill seekers .. Big congrats on so many PBs not least of all a big sub20 parkrun PB for Soups.. tremendous! You are looking so strong cobber! ... Congrats to everyone.. Malcs, BRB, GingerMagic, Tigger and others. So much good running going on here my head is slightly buzzing after taking 5hrs to recap - I've missed you all so much !!

Anyway, just wanted to jump back on the forum but also to quickly give a big shout out to Reikirabbit who helped me through the first 3 long runs on return from flu. Would not be here without you!! You have given me so much confidence and are just a brilliant brilliant person. I owe you a drink!! .. Or maybe we can pace each other to massive PBs at VLMimage ..

Oh and thanks again to SamMurphyRuns2015 on the Q&A for some timely breathe easy advice

Looking forward to keeping better in touch as Paris looms. I'm eating and drinking far too much for this Paris taper.. Ar, She'll be right!

Good luck one and all! ... Let's get to the start line in one piece!

• Options
    Malcs - am on the bike now, then off for a Tui Na, not fancying some of the transit and shoppette, otherwise saving myself for what has just been described as light winds tomorrow.

Bramster!!! First you shall smash it in Paris, then you might ponder the opportunity to share the pacing and give me the cadence pep talk round the streets of London.

Are you on Red though?
  • Options

Angela - Shame your not starting with the main group, I am also planning on running 7:50 ish miles, we could have paced each other round. 

• Options
    RR no ???? .. #22567 .. So on Blue I'm afraid.. Still who knows where you come out when the colours mix into white ????
  • Options
    Mine's deffo red, first time for everything!

Shame, but worry about Paris first, I will pick you up in the merger.

Had a play with Marco - I guess I'd have to set up my watch to tell me HR at the time rather than afterwards. Interesting.
  • Options

Hi Tim

I would like all #asics262 runners to have planned  shopping list in advance as this will start you thinking about the logistics of food for carb load when in Paris! If you are organised 1-2 days before you go it will honestly feel so much less stressful and make you feel prepared – you will be amazed if you are really organised with snacks before you go how this will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on - just takes a little thought & organisation.

Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.

Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.

Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Here are some useful snacks with estimated   carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • I hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 45-50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)

Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day:

The hotel you are staying at are meant to have kettles & minibars in all rooms so you will have a little fridge space should you need and have access to boiling water. When you arrive seek out the local food shop for fresh bread and even a small milk if you need this as a bedtime snack etc.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am and in usual form of a hot & cold buffet but bring your own cereal for race morning if the choice of cereal is important for you. Last year the runners left not long after 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.

Every 5km in race there will be bottles water. There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but avoid and suggest you stick to your practiced plan.

Start times (as you may already know) are as follows:

Tom: 8.47am

Tim: 9.00am

Tony: 9.30am

Amy: still waiting to hear but could be same time as Tony or close to this time but still need to confirm this.

Andrea: 9.50am

Post-race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble on a quarter at a time (when no appetite large amounts of food can seem daunting so best to present yourself with small manageable amounts).

Enjoy Sunday night!

• Options

Steady 8 miles this morning @7.45. Glad Sainsburys open for visit to gents at 6 mile don't think i'd have made it to home! 

6 Miles Sat with 4 at hmp. Easter Sunday 3rd go at the Trowse 10km. Aim to beat my PB 43.11, only done 10km at this event. Double loop with a long steady climb to tackle twice.Yes i know what goes up must come down, and it does.

Joining the marathon prep club tomorrow, a no.2 back and side and spikey on top.

Tim hope you enjoyed the game and wishing you saw a perm team for next year.Swapping days is my mantra as we try to juggle life and training.

• Options

Angela - thanks for your nice commentsimage

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Martin - I reckon I could write a guide book on all the loos in my local area. I've been to a couple of supermarkets, 3 different coffee shops, 3 libraries and a nursery!

Getting excited for all you Paris runners now. Useful to have Ruth's tips on the carb foods and agree it's useful to plan ahead re snacks. I just love those caramel waffle biscuits for carb loading as they are high in carbs but not very filling.

Arrived in Yorkshire Dales today. Glad I did my 11 miles last night as it meant I could have a rest day today. 4 miles recovery tomorrow, but not sure how easy it will be as there are hills everywhere! Then doing 20-22 on Easter Sunday. I think my dad is going to cycle it with me. Superman - the tendon troubles seem to have disappeared now, I'm quite surprised really as I haven't had to miss any runs. I was expecting it to be one of those injuries that I'd have to manage for a few weeks.

Freemers - that's a brilliant conversion from HM to FM!

Thanks for all the Garmin tips re pace. I think for this marathon I'll stick with average pace as this is what I'm used to and I used it for my recent HMs. Also it will mean that I don't get too disheartened when I slow at the end as the drop in pace will seem less dramatic!
  • Options

Yesterdays Session:  1-2 miles easy warm-up then 3 x 3 mins fast with 3 mins jog, then 10 mins 10k pace, 3 mins jog, then 2 x 45 seconds hard with equal jog. 1-mile jog down.

So having swapped days I got up yesterday in a far better physical and mental shape than the previous night, and i was patting myself on the  back for having made such a decision. Until I pulled back the curtain and saw.......more rain.....and still some wind. But when I got out into it, it was the nice fine rain, the kind that soaks you through. 

And after a leisurely 1 mile jog I picked up the pace and ran the following:

3 x 3 mins fast (circa 6.15 per mile pace) 3 mins jog

10 mins 10k pace (circa 6.50 per mile pace) 

Then hard out pace I dont know exactly what the pace was as i did not check it out.

Before a relaxing 9.30 min mile jog back. 

I have to say this mixed up session was both quite challenging and rewarding. I very much enjoyed having to find different speeds, but unlike reps where you are going back to the same speed and distance, on this, it was a different pace and distance. Very enjoyable. 

• Options

Malcs Spot on about feeling perkyier in the morning light, I definitely felt much more sprightly and alive yesterday morning. I had used up most of my energy on Thursday and could see nothing to be gained from going out then. I got a message from Gareth yesterday saying hello etc. I had forgotten it was a year earlier last year, so you were there and preparing a year ago! How time flies. 

Bramster Great to hear from you buddy. And a big well done on your HM PB and also on your recovery. Cant have been easy having such a hard dose of Manflu so to have PB'd during this campaign is excellent. 

Might have to get every London runner to post up their starting colour in case they dont get to the bench for a meet up???

Ruth I have a shopping list for all my last minute essential food purchases. Some of my food is already purchased, such as weetabix, jaffa cakes, raisons.  I was going to replicate the previous carb load strategy, do you agree?  Also what should i be eating on the Friday. As normal? I recall a discussion about maybe a different Friday night meal? Can you advise? 

Martin Was there a game yesterday.  image       Pace and width the difference yesterday. Biggest playing surface in the championship and to contain you we played narrow until Redmond was unleashed to go wide. Massive difference in squad depth to be able to achieve that. You are certainly ready for the premiership. Nice running there too!! And like SK, over the years, I know and have used pretty much all the local toilets with vary degrees of urgency. image

Slowkoala Really pleased to hear no further tendon problems. Enjoy your long Easter Sunday run, bet it will be nice to have Dad for company. Hope the weather is nice in the dales. image 

Has anyone got a nice Sunday Roast planned? If only for me.......

Reikirabbit How were the light winds with you? Tui Na enjoyable? 

• Options

Todays Session: 9 miles steady. 

Heading out in a while to do this. Will include the parkrun at the end, partly as the 9 miles but also as a warm down jog. This will keep me from trying anything stupid, such as attempting a PB. 

Currently raining here in Sussex. 

Anyone else remember me posting the link regarding Easter weather from the Daily Express a few weeks ago. This was the headline....

'Britain set for hottest Easter EVER!!!! '

The Express have never been great at predicting the weather have they. 

Happy running all. image

• Options
    Smart move Soups! .. Happy 9 Miling. No need for PBs this week

I think the Daily Express we're talking about the hottest Easter hot cross buns??

I'm also doing 9M steady today, though broken into 2 runs. First, meeting up with Gareth Davies 21 at hackney marshes parkrun today for a mini bootcamper reunion. Should be good as it's #cakeSaturday too! We'll be er... 'going steady' in our #bootcamper shirts image

Second, over to Victoria Park for the Mike Penman memorial 10k.. Rain might stay away if lucky

Aye, happy running today folks!
  • Options
    That's a double cake day Bramster, I'm off out in a bit for my long one, am hoing to make it back in time for the Mike P, not to run it though!

It will be raining softly.

Winds are light Super - love the sound of your mixer session.

SK top news on the tendon.

My legs feel Ok today which is just as well. Slight hint of throat though, so have gargled with TCP.
  • Options

Enjoy the run today Tim getting exciting now I bet, been mega busy with work mainly but been able to keep 1 eye on here so top running everyone. Was pretty down in the dumps after a fairly rubbish run last Sunday where the legs just wouldnt play nicely.  Its funny sometimes the more positive I feel I am, the more my body seems to think I will show you matey. IT band was pretty sore most of the week but did a couple of reasonable runs without too much pain though a little niggly after. So I went into yesterdays final long run with little confidence.

I decided to stick to 8.30 pace and wore an IT band strap Ive used previously and thought id see how it went. 20 miles later some of the last few admittedly pretty tough I was in a bit of pain but actually felt elated. I do feel with the injuries Im not in top shape and probably wont go out chasing 3.30 but deffo feel I can PB so am pleased in that respect.  

Off for a few days at the seaside now hence the reason for the run moving to yesterday have a top Easter everyone.     

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, Tim - that's one hell of a complicated sesh image did you programme your Garmin our did you run with a sheet of instructionsimage ?

Excellent 20 miler Christian. I guess that was just the confidence boost that you needed image

Hottest Easter ever, ahem .... it's freezing here but it makes for perfect running weather. The pesky wind has died down to a gentle breeze and it's sunny image 11.5 enjoyable miles plodded image
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

It's nice here at the moment, we went to parkrun, I just watched while mrs p ran. Ther ewas a cracking race between 3 lads for first place, one of my clubmates was second lady!

Talking of complicated seesions, I thought I would take advantage of the holiday weekend and postpone my long run til Monday, so allowing me to run on Friday. I planned 4x1mile @7mm with .25 mile recoveries into my garmin, or so I thought! there were only 2 reps not four and the recoveries were .5 mile.  So in the  end I did two and a bit fast miles and a lot of trotting along pressing buttons.

22 planned for Monday, Mrs p is at work, so I think I'll drop her off and then start my run.

• Options
    I'm very low tech and wouldn't know what to do with my Garmin to have it mastermind my sessions, although I did wonder how Super kept all that in his head I must admit!

NIce running chicksta and Christian sounds like a nice problem to have to be looking at exceeding recent expectations.

Speaking of which I have a slight dilemma now.

Went out this morning to do my longest run at very easy pace - had the idea that I would compare like with like from last year when I was in good shape at this stage, and work out how to pace this year.

It was windy on the out portion, and there were a couple of squally showers. My knee was a bit sore from around 3.7 miles but susbsided, only to reappear at 11.3 briefly again, then nothing 'til 20ish.

I ran 25.23 in 4:30, 3 secs/mile faster than last year in tougher conditions, keeping it really easy and light. So this means I can pretty much jog a 4:30 marathon I reckon, so 4:15 can't be out of the question, but do I dare shoot for sub 4?

Have not missed many sessions, none since January, but had no real quality progressions, just that little parkrun addendum last week, couldn't hold my *before* easy or steady paces until 2-3 weeks ago when I started to pick up, initially at the track.

Paces were literally 2 mins down in Feb, 1 min - 90 secs down in early March.

I do have a 6 min cushion from my last 2 outings to draw upon, and know every step of London.

I am beyond grateful to be having this problem 3 months on from severe pain meets narcotic stupor.

Any thoughts welcome x