Options

First Timer Tony: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Thank you, Tony. I have my second session with the physio tomorrow so looking forward to seeing if I have made any progress. On the other hand, I will participate in the Hackney HM in May, but this time as a volunteer. It will be my first time so very excited! I will be a course marshal. I ran Hackney HM last year and got a PB.The race was very well organised, it was the first edition, and I liked the course. It was boiling hot (25 degrees) so they have moved it to May. I think you did the right thing not going for a PB, especially if the ground was slippery. I am sorry I can't help with the bleeding but if I remember well, I think Runner's Need might have something. There is one in Great Portland Street so not far away! I love the rap's lyrics, you have to come up with something for Paris image  Regarding the "super caffeinated turbo-charged" shot blocks, just the name only and I want to run an ultra-marathon!!! I hope you have a lovely holidays!!! I think I saw somewhere that there is a Venice Marathon so you can get some ideas from the course. Running around St Marco must be nice!! I am off to Spain on Thursday and I am looking forward to it, because I need the sun and warm weather. And looks like spring is not coming anytime soon to London!!! Have a lovely holidays!

• Options

Tony, I am sure you will have a fabulous time in Italy. Enjoy yourself and trust in all the great miles and superb paces you have already achieved. Don't panic if you can't fit in all your scheduled runs while away. 

The Spitfire 20 should have been renamed the Hurricane 20. Cold, wet, WINDY and hilly. Dunsfold Aerodrome is pretty uninspiring with 2.5 miles of each 10 mile lap on the runway. The countryside was prettier but hilly. No chance of a sprint finish into a horrendous headwind.It was impossible to meet up with anyone as we just huddled in our cars until the start and made a quick exit home at the end. Fairly content with avg 8.05 min miles finishing in 2:41:48 and 1st VW55.

Happy Easter running all.

• Options

Hi Tony, and everyone on the thread. Sorry for my absence this week, as I have outlined on Andrea's thread, I was on a severe detox break in Austria with very limited wifi. It was hard, hard work - did no exercise at all as felt too ill and wiped out - it was all in the name of 'work' though and a write-up will appear at some point in Runner's Worldimage All I'm sayin' is that Epsom salts are best for bathing in, not drinking a pint of, every morning!!

Luckily have kept apace of Tony's training via text so not too out of the loop. It sounds as if you've got a bit of juggling around to do Tony but all worth it for a holiday! Are you flying back before Paris or going straight there? We'll need to catch up about a race strategy before we're there. Are you thinking you'd prefer a negative split strategy or even pacing?

• Options

Hi Ruth

4 SB per hour sounds about right for me, but I think I will steer clear of the caffeine ones.   Will probably also take a few jelly beans as a reward.  They last longer in the mouth than the jelly babies.

Hi Tony

Very envious of your holiday and being able to get some sunshine.  You have done some great training over the last few months, so I am sure a bit of a relax will do you the world of good.

• Options

Some of you may be interested to read my thoughts on fat loading and train low, compete high nutritional strategies :  http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/asics-nutrition-clinic/low-carbing-gf-or-52-alternative-diets-for-runners/13128.html

• Options
    Isabel Abos wrote (see)

Thank you, Tony. I have my second session with the physio tomorrow so looking forward to seeing if I have made any progress. On the other hand, I will participate in the Hackney HM in May, but this time as a volunteer. It will be my first time so very excited! I will be a course marshal. I ran Hackney HM last year and got a PB.The race was very well organised, it was the first edition, and I liked the course. It was boiling hot (25 degrees) so they have moved it to May. I think you did the right thing not going for a PB, especially if the ground was slippery. I am sorry I can't help with the bleeding but if I remember well, I think Runner's Need might have something. There is one in Great Portland Street so not far away! I love the rap's lyrics, you have to come up with something for Paris image  Regarding the "super caffeinated turbo-charged" shot blocks, just the name only and I want to run an ultra-marathon!!! I hope you have a lovely holidays!!! I think I saw somewhere that there is a Venice Marathon so you can get some ideas from the course. Running around St Marco must be nice!! I am off to Spain on Thursday and I am looking forward to it, because I need the sun and warm weather. And looks like spring is not coming anytime soon to London!!! Have a lovely holidays!

Hi Isabel, here's hoping your latest session with the physio showed lots more progress. So you feel like you're progressing? I like your volunteering at the Hackney HM - you and Chris Brammer put me to shame. I was thinking I should volunteer to help at a local Parkrun. On a wet and windy day in Harrogate last weekend I was struck by the dedication of the volunteers who had given up their time to cheer us on and scan our bar codes. That will be a second new experience for me for 2015.

Re: the Nipguards, I popped into the Great Portland Street Runners Need as you suggested where they had them in stock. They're already packed but I think I need to try them out on my 9 mile run this Sunday (Rimini). Fingers crossed, that will sort out the problem.

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0481.JPG

I checked out the Venice marathon site - http://www.venicemarathon.it/en/venicemarathon/runners-area/course - and the course looks amazing including running across a pontoon bridge built the night before! I think it's an Asics sponsored race too - I wonder if they'd give me a discount (Asics, voglio correre la maratona di Venezia per piacere). image

Enjoy the Spanish sun and check in on us all on the 12th April!

• Options
    Fairyclogs wrote (see)

Tony, I am sure you will have a fabulous time in Italy. Enjoy yourself and trust in all the great miles and superb paces you have already achieved. Don't panic if you can't fit in all your scheduled runs while away. 

The Spitfire 20 should have been renamed the Hurricane 20. Cold, wet, WINDY and hilly. Dunsfold Aerodrome is pretty uninspiring with 2.5 miles of each 10 mile lap on the runway. The countryside was prettier but hilly. No chance of a sprint finish into a horrendous headwind.It was impossible to meet up with anyone as we just huddled in our cars until the start and made a quick exit home at the end. Fairly content with avg 8.05 min miles finishing in 2:41:48 and 1st VW55.

Happy Easter running all.

Hi Merilyn, thanks for the encouragement. I do feel I've made progress with my fitness and that 26.2 miles in under 4 hours is realistic. Thanks for your help on those LSRs in Bushy and Richmond Parks too as they played a role!

Congrats on the 'Hurricane 20' (like it image) 1st VW55. Those prizes keep coming and they must be nice to get on days when the weather's conspired against you posting a new PB and having a bit of chat with the other runners post race.

Hope you have an enjoyable (restful or the exact opposite - delete as appropriate) Easter hols too!

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Tony, and everyone on the thread. Sorry for my absence this week, as I have outlined on Andrea's thread, I was on a severe detox break in Austria with very limited wifi. It was hard, hard work - did no exercise at all as felt too ill and wiped out - it was all in the name of 'work' though and a write-up will appear at some point in Runner's Worldimage All I'm sayin' is that Epsom salts are best for bathing in, not drinking a pint of, every morning!!

Luckily have kept apace of Tony's training via text so not too out of the loop. It sounds as if you've got a bit of juggling around to do Tony but all worth it for a holiday! Are you flying back before Paris or going straight there? We'll need to catch up about a race strategy before we're there. Are you thinking you'd prefer a negative split strategy or even pacing?

Hi Sam, glad to hear you survived detox kamp and that they've released you (for good behaviour?) in time for Paris. 

Yup, it's going to be a busy next 10 days. We're flying back to the UK on Thursday (getting in for 4pm-ish) so that I can join the Asics/Runner's World team at St Pancras/Eurostar terminal on Friday morning. I think we have Amy and Pocket Rocket mère staying on Thursday night too.

Re: race strategy, what seems to have worked for me on the Brighton HM and the two 20-milers I've done has been to run at a broadly even pace with a modest negative split. So, I want to be averaging 8:55 min/mi for 20-23 miles and then assess how I feel about increasing the pace a little (say, by 10 secs) for the last 3-6 or so miles. I've set myself an ambitious target of 3:55 although at the end of the Kingston Breakfast Run a few weeks back I was hatching a plan for a less reasonable and potentially disastrous 3:49! I think you're doing some fancy calculations for us which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Anyway not long now and everything - touch wood - coming together nicely. Official race shirts arrived today although mine was an XL! I know I'm a bit fatter than the rest but honestly! image It looked like an admin error and Gareth is going to see what he can do to sort a more flattering medium (man's gotta look his best for the finish line!).

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0482.JPG

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth

4 SB per hour sounds about right for me, but I think I will steer clear of the caffeine ones.   Will probably also take a few jelly beans as a reward.  They last longer in the mouth than the jelly babies.

Hi Tony

Very envious of your holiday and being able to get some sunshine.  You have done some great training over the last few months, so I am sure a bit of a relax will do you the world of good.

Hi Sally - hope the weather's goodn as it will be nice to run in a little bit more worth after those wintry marathon training LSRs! Have a great Easter too!

• Options

Hi Tony

I was going to suggest a meet at Kingston parkrun on Saturday but you will be far away.  Maybe when you are back and our marathons are over!!

Have a good holiday.

• Options
    Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

Some of you may be interested to read my thoughts on fat loading and train low, compete high nutritional strategies :  http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/asics-nutrition-clinic/low-carbing-gf-or-52-alternative-diets-for-runners/13128.html

Hi Ruth, thanks for this and the earlier posts. I liked the critical bit about the 5:2 diet - not one for me to try then! Sorry for not posting more regularly about my diet - nothing massively to hide but only about 80% on target.

• Options

Maaaaaaaaate! ... You are looking so good in your XL! haha! made me laugh.. Sub4 in XL, now there's a story!

Very sorry I've been MIA but trying to keep up with the Jones' hasn't really worked out for me since getting the flu and with a life filled to the brim I'm only getting 80% of anything done :-S ... 

I've managed some training over the last 5.5 weeks and a HM PB last weekend, 1:46:58, and so now I've used the MARCO calculator to work out my HR based strategy for Paris.. https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=21&hh=01&mm=46&ss=58&bt=171&un=m&th=MARCO&pg=Exec. I find focusing on HR is better than pace for me.

Everyone, Thanks for posting re: medical certificate .. I need to sort that out still eek! ,,. and esp. for the tip on 'reviewed notes', will use that if necessary!

Tony, just wanted to shout you best of luck for the big day... Hope to see you there!

• Options

Hi Tony! Long time follower of your thread and just wanted to pop in and wish you the best of luck for next week! Following your training (and Amy's & Andrea's) has been massively helpful in training for VLM, so a big thank you to all of you for sharing so much info in your threads.  And also for pointing out Regents Park track (quite how I'd never noticed it despite running past for years is a mystery) and highlighting the essential nature of choc milk and Jaffa cakes to marathon training image (I may possibly have extended this slightly too far in convincing myself cadburys whole nut is an absolute training necessity!)

Anyway, best of luck to all of Team Asics, sure you'll smash it in Paris image

• Options

Hi All

I would like you all to have planned your shopping list in advance as this will start you thinking about the logistics of food for carb load when in Paris! If you are organised 1-2 days before you go it will honestly feel so much less stressful and make you feel prepared – you will be amazed if you are really organised with snacks before you go how this will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on - just takes a little thought & organisation.

Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.

Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.

Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Here are some useful snacks with estimated   carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • I hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 45-50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)

Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day:

The hotel you are staying at are meant to have kettles & minibars in all rooms so you will have a little fridge space should you need and have access to boiling water. When you arrive seek out the local food shop for fresh bread and even a small milk if you need this as a bedtime snack etc.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am and in usual form of a hot & cold buffet but bring your own cereal for race morning if the choice of cereal is important for you. Last year the runners left not long after 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.

Every 5km in race there will be bottles water. There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but avoid and suggest you stick to your practiced plan.

Start times (as you may already know) are as follows:

Tom: 8.47am

Tim: 9.00am

Tony: 9.30am

Amy: still waiting to hear but could be same time as Tony or close to this time but still need to confirm this.

Andrea: 9.50am

Post-race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble on a quarter at a time (when no appetite large amounts of food can seem daunting so best to present yourself with small manageable amounts).

Enjoy Sunday night!

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Tony

I was going to suggest a meet at Kingston parkrun on Saturday but you will be far away.  Maybe when you are back and our marathons are over!!

Have a good holiday.

Hi Sally - great idea although I'm in a currently rainy Rimini. Let's make it a date once we've our marathons in the bag as you suggest! 

• Options
    Meeting Gareth Davies 21 at hackney marshes parkrun for mini bootcamp reunion today

Won't be same without you !! Well save you some cakeimage
  • Options
    bramster wrote (see)

Maaaaaaaaate! ... You are looking so good in your XL! haha! made me laugh.. Sub4 in XL, now there's a story!

Very sorry I've been MIA but trying to keep up with the Jones' hasn't really worked out for me since getting the flu and with a life filled to the brim I'm only getting 80% of anything done :-S ... 

I've managed some training over the last 5.5 weeks and a HM PB last weekend, 1:46:58, and so now I've used the MARCO calculator to work out my HR based strategy for Paris.. https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=21&hh=01&mm=46&ss=58&bt=171&un=m&th=MARCO&pg=Exec. I find focusing on HR is better than pace for me.

Everyone, Thanks for posting re: medical certificate .. I need to sort that out still eek! ,,. and esp. for the tip on 'reviewed notes', will use that if necessary!

Tony, just wanted to shout you best of luck for the big day... Hope to see you there!

Hi Chris, great to see you on the thread and even greater to see that you're back in the game after being laid low by that flu thing with a sub-4 marathon finish back on the cards (am I right in thinng your predictor says 3:45: 55?).

I'm glad you like the XLs - I would let you have one but I think Tim's got his eye on one and I have plans for the other. There are some sculptures of buff male figures at the front the Wilkins Building where I work (http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/london/98.html) and I was thinking about dressing one of them in an Asics top with me in another posing next to it. Need to get the ok from marketing though as could get told off for doing it free-style!

We will have to meet up in Paris. We're not sure of the schedule yet but I'm assuming we'll have a bit of free time. We're leaving Friday morning and staying not far from Place de Clichy and Montmartre (aka Kinkyville). When are you leaving and where will you be based? I won't wish you bon courage now - I'll wait 'til I see you in Paris!

• Options
    DonkDonk wrote (see)

Hi Tony! Long time follower of your thread and just wanted to pop in and wish you the best of luck for next week! Following your training (and Amy's & Andrea's) has been massively helpful in training for VLM, so a big thank you to all of you for sharing so much info in your threads.  And also for pointing out Regents Park track (quite how I'd never noticed it despite running past for years is a mystery) and highlighting the essential nature of choc milk and Jaffa cakes to marathon training image (I may possibly have extended this slightly too far in convincing myself cadburys whole nut is an absolute training necessity!)

Anyway, best of luck to all of Team Asics, sure you'll smash it in Paris image

Hi DonkDonk, thanks for posting and really glad you found the plans and our posts useful (I know I have). This year's winners are a funny bunch in that Amy's a speedy sub-4 runner and I'm also around a sub-4 pace-wise as a first timer, so there's a bit of choice for those aiming for a finish starting with a 3. Andrea's not far behind as a decently fast sub-4:30 runner.

I'm glad you've found the Regents Park track helpful too. I didn't know it existed either and had done a few runs through the park (with the zoo on my right) and across the road to get to Primrose Hill completely oblivious to the runners and personal trainers doing their stuff on it. It was Sam (Murphy) who told me of it at one of the track days in Battersea after I had told her how brilliant I'd found the experience of running around a 400m oval. 

Anyway, all the best to you too for the 26th (taper starting soon - yippee) and easy on the Whole Nut (unless it's essential post-run recovery food!). Hope you'll post your time here so we virtual high 5 you!

• Options

Week 15/End-of-week round-up

It's Saturday of week 15 and kind of the end of the penultimate week of the marathon training schedule.  

It's been another week where work and social demands meant I've not followed the script exactly. Actually, by that, I mean, I don't think I've followed the script at all. 

Monday: A rest day and I rested. 

Tuesday: Today had some great speedy laps of the track bookmarked by 1 mile jogs. I normally love these sort of sessions. However, things were a bit busy at work and I had a one hour PT session booked with Musty so I decided to get as much of the session as I could done on a treadmill in the gym - I guess about 6 x 400m fast - plus the warm up and slow down jogs. The session with Musty involved lots of strength and conditioning work, more focused on the legs than the core as this is something we worked hard on last week. We alternated strength and conditioning work with sessions on the treadmill (incline set to high then low, easy and fast fast paces). The idea behind the activity was to replicate being tired in the legs while still being able to find the extra strength to run at pace and/or uphill. I maybe did 6 or 7 miles in total (sorry - don't have exact stats for this session). 

Wednesday: A bit of a washout; too many things to sort out before the holiday (we're doing a house swop involving tidying and cleaning our house for the visitors). 

Thursday: A day of travel to Rimini via Gatwick and Bologna. I did manage a cheeky 4.12 miles at 8:54 min/mi avg. it was one part run to one part a reconnaissance/get to know your neighbourhood trip. 

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0506.JPG

Me and Eve with a Fiat 500

Friday: The weather forecast for the weekend wasn't great: rain pretty much all day Saturday and in the morning on Sunday. Fantastic weather on Friday, so that was when I did the Sunday 9 mile run. I managed 9.31 miles at an average of 8:48 min/mi with a few slightly faster miles (8:19/8:25/8:22) along the beautiful wet compacted sand of the beach. Really lovely. 

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0522.JPG

Rimini beach

Saturday: Enforced rest day (bad weather and fancy new Asics to keep clean). 

Sunday: I'm conscious of being a bit down on my miles this week so aim to do a 7 or 8 mile run including some faster miles. I'll probably run from the flat to the seafront again as it's fantastic route and one I know now so won't have to consult my map and slow down. 

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0531.JPG

My 9 mile run

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0524_0.JPG

Selfie

• Options
    bramster wrote (see)
    Meeting Gareth Davies 21 at hackney marshes parkrun for mini bootcamp reunion today

Won't be same without you !! Well save you some cakeimage

Sorry I missed it! Hope you had a good run (and good cake)! Struggling in Italy at the moment (poor me image): great country to eat healthily in (fresh fruit and veg, seafood etc.) but also lovely gelati and dolci tempting you to stray off the straight and narrow. Where we're staying, there seems to be a fancy ice cream parlour every 500 metres!

• Options

Hi All

I would like you all to have planned your shopping list in advance as this will start you thinking about the logistics of food for carb load when in Paris! If you are organised 1-2 days before you go it will honestly feel so much less stressful and make you feel prepared – you will be amazed if you are really organised with snacks before you go how this will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on - just takes a little thought & organisation.

Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.

Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.

Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Here are some useful snacks with estimated   carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • I hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 45-50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)

Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day:

The hotel you are staying at are meant to have kettles & minibars in all rooms so you will have a little fridge space should you need and have access to boiling water. When you arrive seek out the local food shop for fresh bread and even a small milk if you need this as a bedtime snack etc.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am and in usual form of a hot & cold buffet but bring your own cereal for race morning if the choice of cereal is important for you. Last year the runners left not long after 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.

Every 5km in race there will be bottles water. There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but avoid and suggest you stick to your practiced plan.

Start times (as you may already know) are as follows:

Tom: 8.47am

Tim: 9.00am

Tony: 9.30am

Amy: still waiting to hear but could be same time as Tony or close to this time but still need to confirm this.

Andrea: 9.50am

Post-race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble

• Options

Hi All

Hi Ruth, thanks for this helpful info. I guess there might be some carb-heavy food and drink we'll need to bring over and others we can pick up in Paris. France is obviously famous for having loads of different types of wine and cheese, but what's less well known is that they have lots of different flavours of jaffa cake (Pims is the main brand). My favourite is pear (also raspberry, lemon and lime and blackcurrent) so gonna have to do a quick shop in the local supermarché! They're not so different in composition that they'll mess up anyone's diet though.

• Options
    Geez ... Gelati, you poor thing.. All that good training and your doing 500m gelati intervals a week out. Sub4 and confident! Tho maybe should've saved that holiday post Paris!!

Gareth and I nailed sub23 parkrun this morning in 22:59 .. Look forward to reading his blog later.. @beoutrunning

Love what you're doing with the XLs. I'm only allowed one new shirt this trip anyway. Also love the fiat and the selfie. You're looking in great shape mate!

We arrive in Paris on Thursday at 2pm on Eurostar and staying 15min walk from Gare du Nord. We come back on Tuesday so hopefully there's some catch up time there. After all it's your shout !

My current plan is to run the HRs on the MARCO schedule I posted...whether that's 3:45 or 3:59 I'll take either ... It says 3:45 and It's been working well to-date as I did a mini practice with it last week and HM PB'd. Not bad @MP. However, I'm doing VLM on 26th too so I'm also happy to back it off if you would like a sub4 pacer?? .. Tho meeting up can be crazy at Paris and therefore stressful so I can understand if you want to do your own thing.. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing your plan.

Atb.. Started to get very excited!!!

Good luck to everyone on their final preparations.. image
  • Options
    bramster wrote (see)
    Geez ... Gelati, you poor thing.. All that good training and your doing 500m gelati intervals a week out. Sub4 and confident! Tho maybe should've saved that holiday post Paris!!

Gareth and I nailed sub23 parkrun this morning in 22:59 .. Look forward to reading his blog later.. @beoutrunning

Love what you're doing with the XLs. I'm only allowed one new shirt this trip anyway. Also love the fiat and the selfie. You're looking in great shape mate!

We arrive in Paris on Thursday at 2pm on Eurostar and staying 15min walk from Gare du Nord. We come back on Tuesday so hopefully there's some catch up time there. After all it's your shout !

My current plan is to run the HRs on the MARCO schedule I posted...whether that's 3:45 or 3:59 I'll take either ... It says 3:45 and It's been working well to-date as I did a mini practice with it last week and HM PB'd. Not bad @MP. However, I'm doing VLM on 26th too so I'm also happy to back it off if you would like a sub4 pacer?? .. Tho meeting up can be crazy at Paris and therefore stressful so I can understand if you want to do your own thing.. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing your plan.

Atb.. Started to get very excited!!!

Good luck to everyone on their final preparations.. image

Thanks Chris,thanks for the sympathy - it really is tough over here! image I cracked last night and shared a tiramisu with my wife (head in hands, what will Ruth say?).

Impressed by the sub-4 2014 bootcampers double PB yesterday (nice one Gareth). Sorry I missed it as I'm on a 23:05 PB and keen to break 23 mins. You never know, I might have done it chasing the pair of you down on the final stretch ,-). It's gonna have to wait 'til May I suppose.

Loving your ambitious marathon plan btw - impressive given the mileage you missed due to the flu. That said, the HM PB suggests a return to form so maybe the layoff wasn't so bad (Tim bounced back amazingly well too).

Let's try and meet up in Paris (it is my shout - mineral waters on me!). I'll DM you my mobile and when I know what our schedule is I'll call you to see what we can work out.

• Options
    Paris Marathon Race Plan

It's about time I unveiled my 'Paris Marathon Race Plan'.

I've a tendency to go off too fast at the start of any race - let alone my first marathon - and Sam's recommended a planned slower start with a more structured pace set-up.

I could do a steady 8.55 most of the way and then if I sped up to 8.50 for the last 5 miles, I'd do 3:52 or 3:53. If I sped up to 8.30, I'd come in at under 3:52. This actually feels really doable and a simple strategy for me to get my head around.

We also spoken about weighing up the importance of 1) finishing versus 2) finishing under 4 versus 3) finishing in an optimal time (for me this is under 3:50 which feels possible although hard).

I guess my target is 2 (a sub-4 finish as it always has been since December) but I'd like to keep my options open so if I feel I'm running well on the day I could switch target and go for 3 (sub-3:50 finish).

A slightly more complicated variant of the slow start strategy looks like this:

6.2m at 9 min pace

10m at 8.55 pace

10m at 8.50 = 3.53.26.

If I added in my faster final miles, this would be a bit quicker. Moreover, the model might be tweaked by knocking 5 secs off each block (8:55/8:50/8:45) and allowing an even faster pace for some of the last 5 miles.

To be discussed ...
  • Options

I've noticed that recently I keep typing Paris as PAris. I do correct it but it looks quite cool with the capital A looking like the Eiffel Tower (with the top bit missing). 

• Options
    Paris Marathon Race Plan

It's about time I unveiled my 'Paris Marathon Race Plan'.

I've a tendency to go off too fast at the start of any race - let alone my first marathon - and Sam's recommended a planned slower start with a more structured pace set-up.

I could do a steady 8.55 most of the way and then if I sped up to 8.50 for the last 5 miles, I'd do 3:52 or 3:53. If I sped up to 8.30, I'd come in at under 3:52. This actually feels really doable and a simple strategy for me to get my head around.

We also spoken about weighing up the importance of 1) finishing versus 2) finishing under 4 versus 3) finishing in an optimal time (for me this is under 3:50 which feels possible although hard).

I guess my target is 2 (a sub-4 finish as it always has been since December) but I'd like to keep my options open so if I feel I'm running well on the day I could switch target and go for 3 (sub-3:50 finish).

A slightly more complicated variant of the slow start strategy looks like this:

6.2m at 9 min pace

10m at 8.55 pace

10m at 8.50 = 3.53.26.

If I added in my faster final miles, this would be a bit quicker. Moreover, the model might be tweaked by knocking 5 secs off each block (8:55/8:50/8:45) and allowing an even faster pace for some of the last 5 miles.

To be discussed ...
  • Options

• Options

ANT .. realistically my plan is same as yours. Sub4 remains the primary goal.. as that's an 8min PB for me!! 

I like the look of the negative split plan Sam has set you there.. I've always +ve split in the past .. which is probably why I've always failed to go sub4! Only 14 attempts!

I've been training with progression runs and find I really look forward to the next section of the run this way.. and feel so confident ramping it up.. the HM last week was 8:20, 8:05, 7:50 .. and the psychological boost passing people in the last half is amazing!

So if you're up for some company I'd be more than happy to make you stick to that plan !image

Hope you and the family are enjoying la dolce vita!

• Options
    Week 16/Monday

It's the start of the final week of the training schedule with just six more days to go before race day. I'm feeling a little guilty as over the last few weeks I haven't really adhered strictly to the training schedule. Last week, for example, I should have done 29 miles but managed about 21 at best. I'm in a bit of a dilemma: should I try to make up the missing miles this week or write them off as lost because I'm far too close to race day and need to keep to the lower mileage? I suspect Sam would advise me to go for the latter option.

Today (Monday), I had 5 mile slow scheduled. However, the Tuesday run looks like a much more productive one and I felt I'd be better off fitting this one into my week instead. I'm travelling with the family from Rimini to Venice on Tuesday and there's a chance I'd miss out on this run altogether unless I did it now.??

This is what the Tuesday run looks like: 1M easy, 2M MP, 1M brisk, 5 mins cooldown jog. It's about 4.5 miles but I decided to add just a few extra miles on to make up for last week. I didn't want to add too many extra miles on though so close to race day but the morning was bright, I felt really good and I made sure I didn't overdo things. In the end, I did 7.57 miles at 8:40 min/mi avg. Here are the splits:

8:55 (easy)- 8:43 (MP) - 7:31 (brisk) -7:41 (brisk) - 8:45 (MP) - 9:21 (cool down jog) - 9:14 (cool down jog)

In short, then, I pretty much followed Sam's schedule, mixing up my paces, adding a bit of extra speed for a couple of miles (3 & 4) and finishing with a decent cool down jog (6 & 7) through the town centre looking for an open bakery on Easter Monday.

Tomorrow afternoon I will be in Venice. I might try and squeeze in the late afternoon or early evening reconnaissance run to replace the Monday 5 mile slow.