Options

First Timer Tony: #asics262

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options

I couldn't agree more with Andrea Wescott, Tony you write so well and sum everything up beautifully. I am really missing everyone and all the training. Need to find my new focus. It sounds like you have found yours with your speed sessions and are back in the swing of things. I too would like to not go back to my old ways and will certainly be recycling some of my training programme.

Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

well done Tony - great report and summary and excellent marathon campaign - you did very well in your first marathon and will obviously go much quicker should you wish.

You may have been a few minutes down on Amy in the race but you thrashed her by days in writing up your report!

Haha! Cheers Steve Marathon Coach! No excuses my end, just like to keep the suspense...that I am not the most organised person in the world! Ah well, we can't all be perfect.

Tony sure does have it in him to go much faster. He is a really strong runner. Spent a heap of time thinking you would pass me at any second during the last few miles of Paris Tony.I love your ambition too Tony to see how you can up the anty for the last 5miles of the race. Perhaps Venice....?!  :-/ (Sorry Sarah!)

• Options

Thanks for your company this morning Tony. It was great to compare our marathon experiences and share in your new found zest for running. You were exuding so much energy and enthusiasm it was hard to keep up. image xx

• Options

Phew, sorry it's taken me so long to get round to reading the post-race report but well  worth the wait! So pleased you're seeing this as the springboard to the next stage of your running career while at the same time, remembering that it's all about enjoyment and fun and not getting too serious. That said - a SPEED session so soon after a marathon does suggest that you maybe had a bit more to give - hamstrings allowing...

It's been great working with you Tony and following the progress of other first-timers. I'll be looking out for results of the Manchester and London runners...

• Options
    Fairyclogs wrote (see)

Thanks for your company this morning Tony. It was great to compare our marathon experiences and share in your new found zest for running. You were exuding so much energy and enthusiasm it was hard to keep up. image xx

Thanks Merilyn, it was nice running with you and even nicer that I now have a marathon experience to share! I'm very impressed at your determination to grab another PB which is making me rethink a bit my attitude of 'oh well, I'll get a nice sub-4 then just enjoy the ride' approach to future marathon running. On the subject of energy and enthusiasm, I think you were as surprised as I was that one of our fellow SRC members is knocking on the door of 70 and yet still running 10km in 44-45 mins for fun. Crikey!

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Phew, sorry it's taken me so long to get round to reading the post-race report but well  worth the wait! So pleased you're seeing this as the springboard to the next stage of your running career while at the same time, remembering that it's all about enjoyment and fun and not getting too serious. That said - a SPEED session so soon after a marathon does suggest that you maybe had a bit more to give - hamstrings allowing...

It's been great working with you Tony and following the progress of other first-timers. I'll be looking out for results of the Manchester and London runners...

Hi Sam, thanks for the post and all of the good advice over the five months, most of which I've taken (or have tried to image)! I've had a fantastic 16 weeks full of laughs and learning.

It's now more than a week after the event and I'm starting to think about the 'legacy' of the competition win (like people talk of the 'legacy' of a major sporting event).  What I mean by that is I've been thinking about the things I'll carry forward with me as I continue to run. Here are a few thoughts:

Diet: I'll definitely be continuing with Ruth's recommendations (I've pitta, peanut butter, fruit and fibre and bananas at work) and have lost the desire for some of the stuff I used to consume (weekday glasses  of wine, microwaveable ready meals, useless calorific snacking).

Variation: I'll definitely be mixing up my running more, factoring in some hill and speed work (thanks Chris/CDUB72) for your recommendations and stress on speed work which is something I'd not done before this.

Marathons: I can do this sort of distance and, interestingly, I'm drawn to the big circus, crowds and excitement of them so feel I'd like to continue to do a Spring and an Autumn one each year. I think it would help me structure a bit my running in between which would include, as both Sam and Chris have suggested, shorter races (HMs, 10-milers) as a way of assessing my fitness.

Social: Lots of marathon running posts and tweets might be said to be about the 'technical' side of running. But what's really struck me about these last five months is just how much I've enjoyed the social side of running (talking about running, planning the running, doing the running, enjoying the post-running buzz) with other people. I hadn't realised quite how much this element was important to me and will need to factor to this into my future experiences. I know a few of us (Andrea and Angela from bootcamp) have signed up for Paris 2016 andI am really looking forward to sharing this run with them - and any others thinking of signing up - too.

• Options

Hi Tony, just to say I am back from Manchester and have put a report on Andrea's thread.  Am afraid you will have to read it to find out how I got on!

Hope to see you at Kingston parkrun sometime.  

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Pocket Rocket Amy wrote (see)

Whoops! Just read that back..also thanks to the other members of the Asics pro team Ruth McKean 2 Sarah asics pro team, and Victor whose inputs have been invaluable also. And to SamMurphy who although, not my personal coach, has provided some great input at the training days that I have learnt from.

Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Tony, just to say I am back from Manchester and have put a report on Andrea's thread.  Am afraid you will have to read it to find out how I got on!

Hope to see you at Kingston parkrun sometime.  

Hi Sally, I'm heading straight over to Andrea's thread right now - hope it was fun!

My next park run willl definitely be a Kingston one (though I'm curious to see what the new route in Bushy Park is).

• Options

Um, should have thanked you as well Tony.  Have really enjoyed reading your thread and learnt such a lot.  So you take a bow as well!!

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Um, should have thanked you as well Tony.  Have really enjoyed reading your thread and learnt such a lot.  So you take a bow as well!!

Thanks Sally - I'm bowing as I type! image