Options

Sub 4.30 Andrea: #asics262

Comments

• Options

@Andrea shame that we did not get Klaxon on Sunday from you but great job for your hubby. 

What nasty people put a hill at the end of a 1/2 marathon anyway, Your still looking great for doing that Sub 4.30 in Paris and at the moment that is the goal. You have got so much going on a with all the training, keeping everybody updated on every aspect of the Asics262 which you have done a fantastic job at also eating 6 times a day not sure how you fit it all in. I am sure you will be having a nice holiday once Paris is done and dusted. 

I ran a sub 24 at the parkrun this week and yesterday when out for 14 miles which I did in 2.14 my splits were 10.04, 9.45, 9.41, 9.18, 9.44, 9.36, 9.29, 9.36, 9.29, 9.12 9.27, 9.23, 9.35, 9.41 average pace 9.34 which I was pleased with but have got to learn to go slower and go more with the schedule or going to burn out too quickly and will have nothing left. so more about controlling my pace when doing the 16 miles this week tempo, I took a gel one hour in and was drinking every couple of miles. 

• Options

Hi Andrea,  you had a good run on Sunday as it sounds like a really tough course.   All those hills will slow you down.  Glad you are so positive about it - you really should be as you did a good time.

Similar to me last week when I was in north Cornwall.  I hadn't realised how bad the hills were as I have always negotiated them in the past by car - my 5 miles easy became 5 miles slow and I had to find another area for the easy run the next day.  There was little choice apart from a half mile stretch along the top of Port Isaac which I ran many times backwards and forwards!!

• Options

Thanks guys - I've just read a review of the race on the RW event site and someone put 'Its a flat course, except a small hill at the end'.  Small hill?  Yeah, if you're a mountain goat! 

Well done Craig on the park run - great time!

• Options
    Hi Andrea, great race write up - the highs as well as the lows. And yes, nothing quite so energy-sapping/lung-busting/leg muscle exhausting as hills. Great physical and mental strength test 4-5 weeks off marathon day though!

ps lot of 80s tunes played this w/e - Amy's Lionel Ritchie gig, you and your Wham and Ultravox and I was listening to the Cure's greatest hits on a loop. I don't know what Tim and Tom were listening to (Tom probably wasn't born then!).
  • Options
    andrea westcott wrote (see)

Thanks guys - I've just read a review of the race on the RW event site and someone put 'Its a flat course, except a small hill at the end'.  Small hill?  Yeah, if you're a mountain goat! 

Well done Craig on the park run - great time!

Absolutely love this review. Mountain Goat image  It is a shame but a great run on what is clearly a tough course. Well done.   And well done Craig too. 

• Options
    Ant McNeill wrote (see)
    Hi Andrea, great race write up - the highs as well as the lows. And yes, nothing quite so energy-sapping/lung-busting/leg muscle exhausting as hills. Great physical and mental strength test 4-5 weeks off marathon day though!

ps lot of 80s tunes played this w/e - Amy's Lionel Ritchie gig, you and your Wham and Ultravox and I was listening to the Cure's greatest hits on a loop. I don't know what Tim and Tom were listening to (Tom probably wasn't born then!).

No music for me Tony however my ipod complete 80';s playlist does have over 500 songs on it and the 80's cheese has 250 so you are slap bang in my era. Was it the early greatest hits or the latter Cure one? 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Andrea. I 'ran' the 18mile (19?) LDWA Chiltern Kanter on Sunday. We started at 9:00 but I really couldn't decide what to wear. We were forecast rain and it can get quite windy up on the tops of the hills. However, I also opted for long trousers and long sleeved top, I was dripping by 10:00 and found it difficult to remember to keep drinking.

How hard did you work to get through the initial crowds? I've found it's often better to sit back and bank some time waiting for the crowds to open up rather than expend lots of energy weaving and accelerating etc.
  • Options

Great report Andrea - glad you haven't been too hard on yourself and moved on quickly.

Have tweaked last few weeks of the programme and will get it to you tomorrow. Feeling OK, recovery wise, post-half?

I think pace bands are a great idea - work best if you're even pacing, but even if doing progressive pacing, can be reassuring/helpful to see you're on target...

• Options

Morning guys, another beautiful day out there if a tad windy (I looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge when I got to the office, thanks goodness for GHDs!)

Tim R2-T2 - I was actually very sensible on Sunday and just waited for the gaps to start opening up.  I'm long enough in the tooth now to realise that weaving in and out does no good in the long run.  It did get very warm when the sun came out.  I'm now wondering what kit to wear for Paris.  I like the compression tights but really need something shorter.  I might blind people with my blue/white legs image

I had a lovely slow recovery run along the Thames yesterday.  Loads of fellow runners out in the sun, it was great to see so many and I even got a wave!  I did my run at lunchtime as I had a concert to go to last night with hubby.  Check out Glass Animals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHEuhJf7nA

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I think it's time to ditch the leggings now. I was far too hot last night as well.

Paris will be vest and shorts AND hat. I suffered really badly at London from the heat. I'll also carry my own drink with Zero tabs in it.
  • Options

SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Ant McNeill wrote (see)
    No music for me Tony however my ipod complete 80';s playlist does have over 500 songs on it and the 80's cheese has 250 so you are slap bang in my era. Was it the early greatest hits or the latter Cure one? 

Hi Tim, there's nothing like a bit of 80s cheese when you're running. My Cure playlist was a bit of a mish-mash of the greatest hits CD with a few of the unplugged versions added. Mainly their later chart hits rather than the John Peel/indie stuff from the early days. Loved 'A Forest'/17 Seconds' the LP as a moody teenager though!

• Options

Am having a bit of a worry and I wonder if Sam could offer any suggestions.

Over as many months, I have fallen over three times when running.  I think I am tripping over a stone, or something like that, and falling quite heavily on my right hand side.  No serious damage so far, but it has really shaken my confidence. 

I am not sure what I am asking, because I don't know why it is happening - possibly something to do with my gait?  Uneven surfaces?  Tiredness? 

Suggestions would be truly welcome. 

• Options

@ Andrea thanks about the parkrun time some weeks you get in the correct place and it all clicks I am not going for a quick time this week looking for a nice 32 min as I have got the tempo run of 16 miles on sunday. 

But was pleased with the session last night as I was doing them 10 x 200m with jog recoveries did each of them in under 50 sec then a mile jog home. quite looking forward to a nice slow 4 miles tonight. 

• Options

Hi Sally

I'm not surprised it's knocked your confidence a bit. Perhaps you need to lay off the gin and tonics before your runsimageimage Only joking. I suppose one issue could be that you're not picking your feet up enough when you are running - a low-slung gait which doesn't allow your feet to clear debris/bumps on the road or trail. Try to shift your focus on to picking your feet up, rather than putting them down, as you run to get a lighter stride. This also helps increase your cadence.

It could also be because your fatigued (I always trip more when I'm running tired) so bear that in mind when planning sessions - and perhaps try to stick to even ground where possible.

It might be worth considering a trip to the GP to rule out any non-running related issue - such as with vestibular system (balance). Don't worry too much and wish you a speedy recovery

• Options

Have just been putting the finishing touches to last 4 weeks of Andrea's programme. I'm leaving it with her to have a glance through and then one of us will post it up. Paris drawing ever closer!!

• Options

Thank you Sam.  I appreciate your comments.  Will try to just have a single gin with my tonic before heading out the door, rather than the double image.

I do think it is my gait and general lack of focus.  Am going to get my husband to watch when I next get back from a run, to see if he thinks I am not picking up my feet. When I think about it when running, I must say my feet do seem to lift more (if that makes sense).

Regretting that I have entered the Thames Half Marathon along the towpath (and the scene of my latest fall), but I will keep an eye on the main event in Manchester and keep safe rather than going for top speed.  At least Manchester should have an even surface.

• Options

Aw, thanks Ruth and sorry about the Elton John!  I did the carb loading on Saturday then I had 2 pieces of granary toast with Nutella and almond butter (it works, trust me) for breakfast.  I sipped an electrolyte drink on the way there and had a banana about an hour before the race.  I took gels at 3.5, 7 & 10 miles.  I don't think it was a lack of energy that caused me to flounder, perhaps a lack of strength/over-heating.

Brilliant another positive from the weekend, you practised your in-race fuelling!

Did someone mention to ditch the leggings... are you mad!

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Am having a bit of a worry and I wonder if Sam could offer any suggestions.

Over as many months, I have fallen over three times when running.  I think I am tripping over a stone, or something like that, and falling quite heavily on my right hand side.  No serious damage so far, but it has really shaken my confidence. 

I am not sure what I am asking, because I don't know why it is happening - possibly something to do with my gait?  Uneven surfaces?  Tiredness? 

Suggestions would be truly welcome.  

Hi Sally, sorry to hear of your tripping (and G&T addiction image). It's funny you should mention it as Tuesday morning last week, following a tough PT session in the gym, I was running to Regents Park and tripped for the first time ever. It was more a case of hurt pride rather than physical injury but it did make me think a bit more about the hazards of running - both city and trail. I think fatigue was one strong factor as I had just had a tough hour of physical activity. Also, I was feeling a sense of urgency about the week ahead and was trying to (wrongly) cram a running session into a schedule I knew was going to be busy so my concentration wasn't 100%. Finally, I agree with Sam that not picking up your feet enough puts you more at risk. I'm a bit of a shuffler at the best of times and the more tired I become the less likely I am to pick up my feet when running.

Anyway, I'm sorry your confidence is shaken; maybe on a more positive note you could see it as a valuable wake up call. I know that my embarrassing tumble has alerted me to the perils of running when tired, distracted and with poor form.

• Options

@ Ruth  McKean 2 - you can keep your leggings on for now, Scotland doesn't warm up for another few months...........saves shaving your legs too image

Went for my 5 miles 'easy' run with hubby last night.  As a change from our usual route along a gently undulating circular road (sounds awesome huh?), he suggested a loop that he covers when doing a 5 miler.  The loop included a lovely incline, which I called a hill.  Hubby laughed at me but I think he realised when he heard my breathing how much of an effort it was for me.  Over the course of 2 miles, the elevation went up by 150m and it was a fairly steady climb.  Running at 10 min mile pace is obviously harder for me than a sub 3 hour marathon runner.....

Our splits were 10:25, 9:57, 9:49, 9:42 & 9:52.  For some reason, I started out at a snails pace.  I was feeling tired as a result of a fairly late night and I'm glad I wasn't scheduled to do a fast session.  I was nodding off in front of the TV by about 9pm!

As Sam mentioned, the rest of the plan has been tweaked slightly:

Week Twelve (40M) w/c 9 Mar
    Mon Rest 
    Tue 4M slow
    Wed 5M easy plus 3 x 100m strides 
    Thu 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M fast (try 8.35-8.45), with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog 
    Fri Rest 
    Sat 4M steady 
    Sun 20M mostly easy with last 5 miles at or slightly above MP.

Week Thirteen (25M) w/c 16 Mar
    Mon Rest 
    Tue 6M slow plus 3 x 100m strides
    Wed 5M easy to include 5 x 4 mins continuous hills with 1 minute recoveries somewhere in the middle, allowing 1M jog cool down.

Thu 1M jog, then 4M (8.50-9.05 pace) brisk, then 1M jog 

Fri Rest
    Sat Edinburgh Parkrun followed by Ireland humping Scotland in the rugby
    Sun  4 M easy

Week Fourteen (46M) w/c 23 Mar
    Mon 17M progression run: 4M 10.25, 4M 10.15, 4M 10.10, 4M 10.05 1M 10.00
    Tue Rest

Wed 5M slow 
    Thu 6M of1M jog, then 6 x 800m in around 4.15-4.20 with 90-sec jog recoveries, then 1M jog 
    Fri Rest 
    Sat 5M MP plus 2 x 100m strides
    Sun 13M Slow

Week Fifteen (23M) w/c 30 Mar
    Mon Rest 
    Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 8 x 400m in 2-2.05 mins, with 1-min jog recoveries, then 1M jog (could move this to Thursday if tired)
    Wed 4M slow 
    Thu Rest
    Fri 1M jog, then 3M brisk, then 1M jog 
    Sat Rest 
    Sun approx 9M at MP

Week Sixteen (9M plus race) w/c 6 Apr
    Mon Rest 
    Tue 4M of 1M jog, 1M MP, 1M brisk, 1M jog then 4x 100m strides

Wed Rest

Thu 3M easy
    Fri Rest 
    Sat 2M (20 mins) easy plus strides (communal run) 
    Sun The race

• Options

Hi Andrea, interesting revised training schedule. Did Sam include "Sat Edinburgh Parkrun followed by Ireland humping Scotland in the rugby" or was that a later amendment by yourself? image

• Options

Ant - with a name like Murphy, who do you think Sam will be cheering for???  Actually, I think Sam is a mix of Scottish and Irish, so her team is bound to win image

• Options

Ant - with a name like Murphy, who do you think Sam will be cheering for???  Actually, I think Sam is a mix of Scottish and Irish, so her team is bound to win image

This is true. Just checking it's an official training activity though - we wouldn't want you to ruin your race though any unauthorised exertion! image

• Options
    image) image) I'm a winner every which way!!
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Shorts and t-shirt for tonight's run. It's officially summer as far as I'm concerned.

• Options

sad to see I'm in a minority, fast track session with the kids in their shorts and t-shirts and me in my tights, base layer, long sleeve top, hat and gloves.  Perhaps that's why I feel like Murtaugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3YmT2d-8k

• Options

Happy Friday everyone!  Time for a bit of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaz7OqyTHQ

Cracking session at the track last night.  Great to see the kids enjoying their running and reacting well to the coaching team, I even saw a little guy hug his coach.  At an age when he could easily have an attitude, hate authority figures and get in with a bad crowd, there he was taking advice and trying his best at something.  Let's have more of that please!

I seemed quite strong last night, not sure why but not complaining as I smashed my pacing target.  After 1m jog to warm up, the session was 4x1m between 8:35-8:45 pace.  I went out a little fast but settled in to a rhythm and completed the first mile in 8:30.  The next 2 mile efforts were both clocked at 8:28.5 exactly (Little Miss Consistent strikes again).  As this felt quite comfortable, I thought I'd up the pace a bit for the last one and clocked 8:11.6.  Even this didn't leave me out of breath.  I'm now thinking of aiming for 8:30 pace for my British 10k race in July image 

• Options

Well I grabbed myself a very tiny PB this morning at the Thames Meander Half Marathon and finished in 1:57:42.  I was the first W55 as well - as somebody said on another threat, a benefit of being an older runner!  Very flat course which made that time more achievable.

I felt quite strong the whole way round but did take it carefully as I was worried about falling over again, so I tried to maintain my focus throughout.  Ironically a young lady in front of me fell and unfortunately broke her phone (she did admit afterwards that she wasn't looking where she was going).  

Pre-race nutrition was good.  Pasta for the last two evenings and almost polished off a whole banana loaf that I had made on Thursday!  Bagels for breakfast with jam.  Really didn't enjoy the gels and they made me feel a bit sick - only had two but with jelly beans and jelly babies.

Rest day tomorrow.  Hope those with LSRs have a good one.

• Options

Woo hoo Sally - great time and a great PB, should be feeling confident for a sub 4:30 after that!

• Options
    So I did something different good morning and volunteered as a Course Marshall on the North London Half marathon. Despite everything going numb from standing around in the cold & wind for 3 hours I really enjoyed cheering other people on. And these races that we all take part in would not happen if it wasn't for volunteers! Old runner kindly told me I was a hero image

I'm doing Wimbledon half marathon myself next weekend, and would like to do sub 2 hours as my last half was 2hrs 1 min but the Wimbledon course is hilly I think so will be nice and challenging! But I've been on track with my pacing so far with 20 miles in 3hrs 24 mins so I'm pretty happy..And touch wood no injuries! Hope everyone had a good running weekend!
  • Options

@ Sally Boulton 2 - Woo hoo!  PB Klaxon for you, well done.  Great that you managed to stay upright too image

Sarah Melrose2 - I've marshalled at several of my club races and it's always a great feeling when runners thank you.  It's hard sometimes though when you find yourself shouting the same things over and over again and your hands get sore from all the clapping, but those guys out there running always appreciate it.  I'm helping with the baggage at the London marathon and am looking forward to congratulating all the runners when they finish.