Options

Sub 4.30 Andrea: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Great splits there on the 400s Andrea, well done. And yes, you are right, I am being nice this week because of Sunday's race. And also because I think it's good to have a cutback week quite early on in marathon training just to get a breather and take stock. We will review pace/overall volume etc after Sunday.image

• Options

Boo hiss, am off running now for at least two weeks.  Went to the physio yesterday who confirmed I have an IT Band problem (tightness).  I have exercises to do, and a roller to use.  She suggests I do regular bike sessions at the gym to keep my cardio vascular fitness up.  Hopefully this is just blowing me off course a bit, but still semi confident for Manchester in April.

Feeling really fed up right now, as all was going so well ...

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth, thank you for your message.  Regarding diet:

Breakfast: I used to eat Weetabix, during the week and porridge at the weekend. Now I tend to stick to toast and jam.

Lunch: Usually quite a healthy one at work as I work in a hotel/conference centre so have access to lots of choices!  I usually go for something like cold salmon and salad (including a rice or couscous salad as well as green options). No dessert. At the weekend, I often miss lunch as I tend to run after breakfast and still feeling my way around recovery food.

Dinner: chilli with rice, sometimes roast, very very mild curry, egg on toast if not feeling particularly hungry.  Nothing spicy as I don't like it.  

Tend to drink quite a lot of tea and coffee but could easily kick out the caffeine.  No fizzy drinks, chewing gum, spicy food.

PS Tried out the jelly beans on Sunday.  Definitely a mistake to have as many (about 10 over a 14 mile run).

Apart from this, my health is very good at the moment!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sorry to hear about IT

Thanks for diet information, if you think you can kick the caffeine I would do this to see if this help, when back up running but also try liquid meal as mentioned above and keep me posted.

• Options

Amy, Could you have one medium glass of vino (200ml!) on Friday and one on  Saturday and nothing else???

Love recipe idea - will try it!

• Options

So, an easy 5 slow miles yesterday in 52:58, how did you all get on?  Hope the weather was kinder to you!  Hubby joined me on my run which was really nice of him.  He's coming back from a calf injury and needed a very easy run out, his first for 2 weeks.  Considering how much faster than me he is, I was surprised he stayed with me the whole way. 

The weather was atrocious!  Started out dry but as the wind picked up, the rain came along.  It was hammering down around 2 miles in and we were running in to a strong wind too.  Thankfully the rain stopped after about 10 minutes and the wind was on our backs for the final 1.25 miles.  Was so glad to get in to a lovely hot shower image

I'm using ice/heat/repeat on my feet after my runs now.  Strangely prefer the heat....

• Options

Interesting about the weak calves/feet/ankles Andrea. Have you been given reams of exercises to do?! Maybe Sarah C will help you narrow things down at training day...

• Options

Thank you for your email Ruth.  I have bought the Complan and will give it a go when I am back running!

Lots of good exercises suggested by the physic for me to do for ITB and I take delivery of my roller tomorrow.  Had a proper gait analysis etc at Sweatshop this afternoon, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with overpronation, so I don't intend to change my shoes or attempt insoles.  

Well done to you all for braving the elements.  I shall be indoor cycling and keeping an eye on the weather from the inside.  I am jealous though!

• Options

I did a track session tonight - 4 x 800 m, with 2 min recovery which as lovely as the view is at Parliament Hill Fields Track the wind made it 10 times harder!! I feel pretty wiped after that session but had a very nice long hot bath to get over it imageimage 

@Sally - I had ITB issues last year when training for London but my physio didn't tell me to stop running (Gavin Burt - he actually writes for runners world!) instead I cut down on my mileage a little for two weeks and did some strengthening excercises. Was much better after a couple of weeks. So hang in there, it will get better! I also got little acupuncture plasters, they were brilliant!! You don't feel them when they are in but if you give them a little push every hour or so, you can feel it....accupuncture on the go!

• Options
    Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

Amy, Could you have one medium glass of vino (200ml!) on Friday and one on  Saturday and nothing else???

All the more for me then image

• Options

Andrea: Running my first marathon in Paris this year after running my first half last year. Training going well so far but this is the message Igot from my physio this week after a slight knee pain. Nothing really to do with the knee but all to do with Glutes so I will be joining you in those exercises. Good luck in the training, I look forward to following your journey.

Physio also told me that I have VERY weak feet, ankles, calves and glutes.  Not good.  I'll need to do a lot of exercises to get this all sorted.  You try standing on one foot, close your eyes, then roll up on to your toes.  I couldn't do it, I was all over the place!  Apparently that shows that when I plant my feet when I run, my ankles wobble a lot.  I'm used to things wobbling when I run, but this bit is news to me........

• Options

Is that the sound of a PB klaxon I hear?!?!?!

• Options

Brilliant performance today Andrea, well done!! image

• Options

EdinburghLoon Sorry to hear about your niggle.  It's amazing how many injuries are caused by weak glutes.  It's early enough in the training program to have everything sorted out, I'm sure.  I've been doing my exercises and wearing trainers around the office, so hopefully my niggles will fade before long.

Forgot to provide feedback on my Friday run - my bad.  4 miles steady (37:33) with 3 x 100m strides.  I tried something I've never done before - run in The City.  I've been working here for over 17 years and this was the first time I have ever run in my lunch hour.  It was such a perfect day for a run, the sun was out, it was chilly and there wasn't much of a breeze.  I headed along Embankment for 2 miles then turned back at Temple station.  I was amazed at how many other runners (of all abilities) were out.  None of them nodded, smiled or waved, so that was a bit disappointing but that's London for you.  I did my strides at the entrance to my office.  I'm sure the smokers and people returning from their pub lunch found it amusing but if I made even one of them think about doing it themselves, then that's cool with me.

Buxton running bunny - Yep, by a very small margin!  I was aiming for sub 55 minutes in the Bushy Park 10k (my PB was 55:30).  My chip time yesterday was 55:16 however, as a runner from behind told me my chip was hanging off I had to stop briefly.  My 'active time' on my Garmin was 54:59.  Annoying and no fault of my own, the chip was just a paper loop with a sticky bit at one end.  Running over damp grass and through muddy areas obviously unstuck it.  Still, a PB is a PB.  It was great to catch up with Tim, Tony and fellow bootcamper Craig.  Also, my husband drove me down there and supported us all around the course.  Having the guys cheer me on the final stretch was appreciated although I'm sure my face didn't reflect that sentiment.

SupermanRuns - thanks, but hardly brilliant.  How is the calf today?  Hope you get it sorted.

• Options

Hi Andrea, It was good to catch up with you guys yesterday made me feel welcome, Lucky my chip still stayed on and I was pleased with my running over the weekend. 

I Did the parkrun saturday the course was changed because of the ice but lucky the event still went ahead and over 350 runners this week. We ended up doing the hilly route but I was planning to take it easy anyway and it was nice to do some hill work in as well. First ever 10k race at bushy park and stopped the watch at 50.06.

Looks like the training is paying off and now time to book that marathon on May bank holiday weekend  

• Options
    andrea westcott wrote (see)
    I was aiming for sub 55 minutes in the Bushy Park 10k (my PB was 55:30).  My chip time yesterday was 55:16 however, as a runner from behind told me my chip was hanging off I had to stop briefly.  My 'active time' on my Garmin was 54:59.  Annoying and no fault of my own, the chip was just a paper loop with a sticky bit at one end.  Running over damp grass and through muddy areas obviously unstuck it.  Still, a PB is a PB.  It was great to catch up with Tim, Tony and fellow bootcamper Craig.  Also, my husband drove me down there and supported us all around the course.  Having the guys cheer me on the final stretch was appreciated although I'm sure my face didn't reflect that sentiment.

hi Andrea, we were there and can definitely confirm the PB! A great run and it was really nice meeting Chris who, as you say, was on hand to support us all.

• Options
    Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Ruth, have just read your nutrition article - it is excellent and the first time I have read about this subject and completely understood it.  Thank you.

Hi All

Have another article for you on link below. Aiming to give some practical information about caffeine.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/asics-nutrition-clinic/can-caffeine-improve-sports-performance/12806.html

• Options
    CDUB72 wrote (see)
    Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

All the more for me then image

Andrea, problem sorted! Someone has kindly offered to help you out!

Andrea, this weekend we can get started on race prep nutrition - should have plenty of time to chat with you in person!

• Options

Hi guys!  How was the run yesterday?  I did the run on my schedule but because it was 1.5m at brisk pace I didn't go to the track and did the session on the cycle paths of St Evenage.  I missed my Eulene!!  Will be back at the track next week, hopefully with my buddy, to do 200m efforts image

Last night, I did the usual 1m warm up before starting the 'brisk' pace (mine being 8:55-9:10).  I set off a little too fast and struggled with my breathing a bit so decided to shorten my strides and that helped.  I felt more comfortable on the second effort.  Both sets were completed in an average pace of 8:58.  It's weird that I did an entire 10k race at a quicker pace on Sunday yet was really out of breath at the end of the session last night.  Is it all in my head??  Anyone else have the same experience or is it just me?

• Options

Hello All, 

I am not sure what is going on but it feels like I have got lots more energy and my pace is getting quicker not that I am going to complain about it, 

My session last night felt really good I live 1.5 miles from work so i decided to run round the carpark first as my warm up about 10 min lucky everybody had gone home so I did not feel to much of a wally running up and down the car park and doing lunges and stretching. 

I know most people want to leave work and not come back until the next day but my plan was to run home 3 min jog and then run back and warm down jog to Melissa work which is about 1.5 miles away from me. 

My pacing for both sets was the same like Andrea but to my surprise I did them at 8.18 pace I knew I was going quick but my breathing was controlled. 

I then did a slow jog to Melissa and she said she wanted to do a run when we got in so I went with her on a slow 5k at 12 min pace I know I did extra miles but I made sure that I had lots of water and did more stretching after we finished. 

It might have been the cold weather last night that made you feel out of breath Andrea I know that lots of people yesterday were talking about training on treadmill. 

• Options

Woo Hoo!  Big gold star from the physio last night image  He is very pleased with my progress and surprised by how much my Achilles has improved, especially as I've been running on it.  The exercises to strengthen my feet and ankles are obviously working. 

In order to improve my running, he has suggested that I increase my cadence (steps per minute) to 180 per minute (currently around 160), so I'll give that a go tonight when I do my 5 mile steady run.  I've also been told to try breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.  This could be difficult as it's so cold out, my nose runs quicker than I do.  He uses the air hanky method to clear his runny nose but I consider that most un-ladylike........

• Options

Andrea I'm not ashamed to say I use the 'air hanky' when out running. I do get strange / disgusted looks but hey ho...! When needs must

• Options

That is great news that your achilles has improved. You might be able to hold your foot in the air without in shaking soon image

I would not even know how to work out how many steps in do per minute. 

Air hanky is the thing to do. Enjoy the run later 

• Options

My lovely new Garmin tells me my average steps per minute image

You can try running 30 steps in 10 seconds, see how it feels.

Still not convinced about the air hanky...

• Options

oh nice people at Garmin, I have got to wait until at least august my birthday or Father christmas for me to get a new watch. 

I will give it a go. thanks for the advice 

• Options

Hi Andrea,

Glad Achilles is improvingimage. See you Saturday!

• Options

You could always use a real hanky like I do image

• Options
    Hi guys- sorry I've absent from here lately, but hoping to redress that from now on!

My sleeves/pockets are always well stocked with tissues which is fine....until it rains!!

I also try and get to 180 steps/min, but only ever seem to manage it at races.

Glad the Achilles is improving Andrea..you'll be raring to go at sats training day then! Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

Did my long run today, 16m, and hoping the legs will be well-recovered for a little 5m local race on Sunday!
  • Options

Hi Andrea, glad to hear the achilles is improving, be nice to catch up saturday though sounds like it's all under control. I had real issues with breathing last night in the cold, it took me 2x 1mile reps before I felt i could breath properly. I try using a buff round my neck and cover mouth initially so not inhaling cold air as it tends to tighten my chest. Worth a try, works well as hanky too but needs washing after each run!!

• Options

Brrrrrrrrrrrr, it's a bit fresh outside to say the least.  It was -1 when I went out last night to do my run.  I spent ages in the shower afterwards trying to defrost my bum!

So, I tried a few different things in my 5 mile steady last night.  Firstly, my cadence.  Usually 160 steps per minute, I was aiming for 180 per minute.  I counted 30 steps in the first 10 seconds or so to give me a feel for what I should be doing and I thought I was doing OK.  Checked my watch when I got home and I was only hitting 167.  Need to check with Sam tomorrow on how I can hit 180 without taking baby steps.

Also, my physio told me that landing mid heel naturally projects your body forward, making running more efficient.  Landing on the back of your heel acts as a brake and jolts your knees.  Lastly, I concentrated on my arms and how I swing them.  Swinging them across your body twists you around, swinging them by your sides projects you forward.

I'm not sure it was one of these changes or a combination of them all that improved my running last night, but I felt more comfortable and was running faster.  My splits look a bit uneven but Chris has figured out that my watch setting has been wrong and not giving me the average pace I was looking for.  I've now changed it to average pace per lap, so hopefully that will sort it out.  Miles were 9:15, 8:59, 9:11, 9:11 & 9:24.  During the last mile my watch was showing average pace of 9:12, so I thought I was being consistent.  A bit annoyed when the lap time came up as 9:24 but my next run should be more accurate.

3x100m strides to finish off the session, along a nice straight flat path.  Felt like a proper runner as I sprinted past a couple of other runners out plodding image

• Options
    andrea westcott wrote (see)

Need to check with Sam tomorrow on how I can hit 180 without taking baby steps.

Move your legs quicker image