Options

How to go about choosing the right club ?

I'm looking to join a running club (it would save me a fortune in race entries alone), but not sure whether to go for a large or small club, and whether the club would appreciate me running all over the country !!!
Was also wondering how clubs feel when their individual members enter races that the club wouldn't normally enter themselves, eg. a runner entering a race in Blackpool when their club was based in the southern part of the country.
I do enter quite a few races but have only been running about 18 months so don't regard myself an experienced runner yet anyway, i probably just run for the fun of it anyway :)
There are a few clubs based quite locally to me too.

Comments

• Options
    I can only base a reply on what happens at my own club Flying Ant but I think most clubs would be happy to have you whether you run locally or further afield. We actually have an annual competition to see who's raced furthest away!

Obviously, league events are a priority for most clubs but if you're racing elsewhere, particularly in club kit then think of it as good PR for your club that you're spreading the word :o)

If you're fortunate enough to have a choice of clubs then why not try a few out first? Some clubs have more emphasis on road running than others so it'd be worth checking this out as well?

Whereabouts are you btw?

• Options
    Hi northern exile, thanks for the info, i'm located down here in sunny south wales btw !
    As you mentioned , its road running i prefer most, not sure if my achilles would enjoy the rigours of X-Country races anyway.
  • Options
    Flying Ant

I can only base my answer on my limited experience,our club has no problem with where I want to race very supportive and has NE has said really pleased we are flying the flag for the club.

I would go along to a few clubs for a test and get a feel of them and see exactly which ones you like.Mine is a large club but the nearest to me and are very helpful and we have a list of events some as far away as Liverpool and Newcastle.If I was in a smaller club I would stand out as a poor runner where as here they are very eager to help me improve.

Did you say sunny south wales not while I was out running today it was not:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    well i did see a little bit of sun early this mornin'

To be precise, i think there are 3 clubs in my locality, with 2 virtually on my doorstep (within 2 miles) !

Both use the same venues/facilities as far as i know (but on different nights of the week). I'd feel a bit guilty going to one club, then approaching the other if they are so close together( if you see what i mean ).

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about feeling guilty FA. I think most clubs are happy for someone to join in with a couple of sessions before committing themselves to joining so I'd try them all out first and join whichever one seems to suit you best.
  • Options
    Also included in our fees(£30.00) is £10.00 for Welsh athletics association you are covered for any fatal injurys whilst out running,I have details but they are downstairs also you get 10% discount from Run and Become in Cardiff :-) and yes on first name terms at the shop:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I agree with Murf- my club insisted that they wouldn't take any fees off me for the first month until I was sure I wanted to join.

Good points from WP too- we get 10% at the local running shop which added to the £1 discount on race fees more than covers the cost of annual membership.

• Options
    We usually let newcomers attend, paying the £1 training fee each week, for a month before asking if they want to join the Club.
    Our runners run all over the world with informal groups forming if someone sees an interesting race somewhere. Example: year before last we went up to the Brass Monkey Half Marathon in York, last year a group went over for the Dublin marathon, this year it's both Dublin and New York Marathon. Also the individual club members tend to race if they go on holiday - one of our members works for the local newspaper and just loves to hear about it!!
    Try the local clubs - we have often had people come for a look at us as there are several clubs in this area. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. We welcome all comers.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, the 2 running clubs near me are both located in Bridgend, i'll have to go along to one of their training nights and then decide which one caters best for my needs.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If you really can't decide which one, choose the one with nicest club kit!!

Seriously, once you've spoken with them you will probably find that they do differ quite a lot and that will make your choice easier. You can always join more than one, you will have to decide which is your 1st claim though, and join that one first.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades, now you've really confused me !!!! :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The rules of UKA!!

The running club you join will be your 1st claim club.
    But you can be a member of more than one running club.
    If you decide to also join another - maybe to train with them, or you might want to join the RRC a nationwide club so you can receive their newletters and the Endurance directory (of which it just so happens I am editor), then they would become your 2nd claim club.

I'm going to stop now, I'm confusing myself.

Just join one, it's much simpler!!
  • Options
    ok, i think i get it.
    i take it you are a member of many clubs then !
    just the one will do me though, for starters !