Options

RW F7 – looking for 4.30

Comments

• Options

I wondered about the following over the next eight weeks - based on the above - but slightly changed.

15 Feb Half Marathon

22 Feb 15 Miles

1 March Half Marathon

8 March 18 Miles

15 March 15 Miles

22 March 20 Miles

29 March 18 Miles

5 April Half Marathon

12 April Race

• Options

Rest day today - although it is a really nice Spring like day out and it looks perfect for a run!

• Options

Not such a nice spring day today - I didnt have time for 5 miles, so did a 4 mile run, but a little quicker to compensate (if that works?).  I did 4.05 miles in 39:51, the splits were 9:50, 9:56, 9:55,9:41 (average 9:50).

I have entered the Headcorn Half Marathon on Sunday.  Not sure what pace to go for - maybe MP at 10:00?  I would really like to beat 2 hours for a HM, but I am not there yet.  

• Options

Today was a speed session - so I did one mile warm up, followed by eight reps of 1 min sprint and 2 mins jog back and  then one mile warm down.  It didnt quite hurt as much as last week - but I haven't really sprinted since I was in the 100m at school!

• Options
    The instructions for Brighton are out. The drinks are Gatorade, which I have never really had before so will need to start practicing drinking those on my long runs. They are also using plastic cups, which I have only managed to drink by walking in the past - to avoid it all ending up in my nose!!
  • Options
    Did a 5 mile run after work in London along the Thames. Everyone seems to run faster in the evening than at lunchtime! So I ran faster than planned! I did 5 miles and the splits were 9:54,9:28,8:47,9:34,9:28. Although I am not sure the mile 3 split is accurate as the map shows a detour into the Thames!!
  • Options
    Rest day today!
  • Options
    I am doing the Headcorn half marathon tomorrow in Kent. The weather looks warmer than in recent weeks and the course looks quite flat!
  • Options
    Not sure a curry the night before is the best preparation!
  • Options

After years of trying I finally managed to beat my PB, which I managed the first time I did a half marathon in Feb 2008.  I beat it by a massive one second!  My time was 2:08:26 and the splits were 9:39,9:47,9:52,9:49,9:55,9:44,9:52,9:58,10:05,10:00,9:52.9:45,9:33.  Managed to do my fastest mile in the last mile!

I took some shot bloks between miles 6 and 11 and didn't feel too sick. Although my big mistake was a curry last night, even if was a Thai curry.  

The  Headcorn half is a great run and I would definitely recommend it. It was a beautiful morning and a very flat course. 

• Options

I had the chance to practice with plastic cups today.  But the only way I could drink any was to stop!  Various attempts to drink from the cup whilst running resulted in it going up my nose / over my running top / spluttering having swallowed too much!

• Options
    Feeling a bit stiff this morning - rest day today as well.

I also managed a "sprint" finish yesterday - although that was probably the same as a slow jog for most!
  • Options

My plans for this week are:

Monday - rest image

Tuesday - 5 miles slow

Wednesday - speed work  = 1 mile warm up, 8 x 1 min fast / 2 mins slow, 1 mile cool down.

Thursday - 10 k at MP (10:00)

Sunday = Half Marathon or 15 miles LSR

• Options

Managed to forget to bring in half my running kit to work - so couldnt really do my lunchtime run today.  Such a shame - it is a beautiful sunny day out!

• Options
    I was not going to let a minor issue such as no running kit stop me! I didn't just run in my pants though! I decided to go to the nearest running shop and buy some gear! Although it was colder running after work than at lunchtime, but I saw the sun set over the Thames and it looked very picturesque.

I did a slow 5.03 miles - time was 53:03, average pace 10:33 and the splits 10:26,10:25,10:40,11:05 and 10:12.
  • Options

A speed session this morning before work.  It was a beatiful morning. 

I did 4.31 miles in 45:06 - I did one mile warm up and then eight lots of 250 m fast / 250 m slow, followed by a mile warm down.  It was only just over 12 hours since my run last night and my legs felt a little stiff! 

• Options

My plans for my long runs is slightly changed (I had entered a HM on Sunday 22 Feb a long time ago) and is below. 

22 Feb Half Marathon 

1 March 15 Miles

8 March 18 Miles

15 March 15 Miles

22 March 20 Miles

29 March 18 Miles

5 April Half Marathon

12 April Race

• Options

Hello matey,Back from a week in freezing New york, just reading back and some great work going on. How are you feeling about the training? Feel your on track or being pushed too hard?

• Options

Hello - how was New York - was it work or holiday?

Feeling fine - I was really pleased to beat my HM PB last Sunday!  I had tried for years to beat the time I did in my first ever HM, but hadn't managed it before.  So thank you for the help!  I felt I could have gone a little faster at the end too  - I was just worried about pushing too hard in case my legs went!  I would love to do a sub 2 hour HM, but I am not there yet.

I have basically stopped alcohol as well, apart from one occasion this year.  I will try and keep this up until after Brighton!

• Options

My legs are still feeling a little bit stiff - probably from last Sunday's HM and also the speed work yesterday.  I think I will have a rest day today and do the 10k at MP tomorrow.  It looks like it won't rain tomorrow as well! 

• Options

I dug out my old garmin and charged it today - I wanted to double check my best 10k time.  It was 57:15, which I did in March 2009, when training for the London Marathon.  To do sub 57 I basically need 9:10 minute miles.  Not tonight though!

• Options
    Arghhh! I had planned a 10k run today and had hoped to beat my PB. But my legs felt really stiff and heavy. I decided to do a shorter run and slowed down, but it didn't feel great. So I did 4.06 miles in 41.45.

My legs have never really felt like that before - I might do my HM on Sunday much slower than planned. Maybe MP + 1 (11 min miles.)
  • Options
    Decided not to repeat last weeks korma loading and to revert to the more traditional carbo loading!

Doing a HM tomorrow. Not decided on pace yet - I will see how I feel at the start.

Got some new gels to try out to see if I can take those and not feel sick!
  • Options

Good luck today, what gels you trying out?

• Options
    Thanks - Torq gels - black cherry yoghurt flavour!
  • Options
    New PB - 2:04:07 - over 4 mins faster than my previous PB!!!!!!!
  • Options
    My splits were 9:50,9:50,9:33,9:29,9:35,9:17,9:15,9:38,9:23,9:34,9:42,9:41,9:04.

So the last mile was my fastest. I think I had a negative split too, but am not completely sure of my maths!

The gels I took were fine too - I didn't feel like being sick after them. I had one at 4 miles, one at eight and one at 11.

I drank a couple of goodness shakes recovery drinks too. I should have drank something after the HM last week. Maybe that's why my legs felt so stiff afterwards?

Anyway I was really pleased with my time. And I felt much better than I did after Friday's disastrous run!
  • Options

Brilliant!

Steady start, moving onto some great consistent splits.

It's all falling into place, now with the nutrition starting to work out as well. 

Make sure you have a good meal and a long stretch later. We've got to make sure we keep the good momentum going now towards that 4.30 goal

• Options

Hi Inlastplace - congrats on the new PB! image