Comments

• Options
    The only time I've been heckled whilst out running is by a passing car with 3 boys in the back - they were my kids though.
  • Options
    Slowkoala wrote (see)
    The only time I've been heckled whilst out running is by a passing car with 3 boys in the back - they were my kids though.

image Sniggers.

• Options

Me too and I'm not convinced "Oi fatboy that's not running " can be construed as harassment image

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    An associate of mine had someone shout 'run baldy run' which I guess could be taken as encouragement..,
  • Options

I have had kids shout things like 118 or run fat girl run..but they shout that to the blokes as well as women...had people beep or shout from cars occasionally but again I never take that as harassment..

The mist common comment I get is from elderly people who say things like do a couple for me or I wish I could do that

• Options

I had " Run Forest Run" yesterday. Brilliant and originalimage

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

By coincidence I'm just about to meet up for training run with a woman, who I ran with, simply to divert the harassment that she was getting.

🙂

• Options

I had 'GOD you're keen!' the other week, not for the first time.

I think though that it probably is true that, while all runners get yelled at for being runners, some women runners also get targeted for being women, and that that can be quite unpleasant.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The louts who shout things at women do so whether they are running or not. It is just their way of flexing their orbs.

It isn't about their attitudes to women running it is about attitudes towards women in general. Maybe mummy didn't hug them enough?

Unfortunately the sight of a healthy looking woman with a flushed complexion and a slight sweat on, is just too exciting for them.
  • Options
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)

Unfortunately the sight of a healthy looking woman with a flushed complexion and a slight sweat on, is just too exciting for them.

Too exciting for me also but at least I manage to keep my thoughts to myself. image

• Options

I very rarely have any problems, but still regret not thinking of something incisive and witty to shout at the drunken stag party who told me I should stop running and eat more then I wouldn't be so skinny.  Let's just say I don't think I'd want to take lifestyle advice from them...

• Options

I got jabbed (gently!) with a walking stick by an old man who said I wasn't going fast enough! Cheeky bugger image

• Options
    plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭

Round our way, its the groups of feral kids making comments to women, or throwing rocks at the fellas.

Everyone is a target.

• Options

I find its mainly the dogs that harrass me - get attacked every long run at least once - 3 times last week. - But I'm not a women so I will shut up!image

• Options
    Claire Williams 31 wrote (see)

I got jabbed (gently!) with a walking stick by an old man who said I wasn't going fast enough! Cheeky bugger image

Back in the day, old men jabbing runners with sticks and telling them to run faster was called 'coaching'.

• Options

When I started running in my teens I'd get a few comments  but I rarely get comments these days, probably because I'm late 40s which gives me the invisibility superpower.

I did get told to "keep it up" on a run a few months ago by some younger men - I was only two miles into a ten mile run at that point so I rolled my eyes a bit.

• Options

I get the odd comment and waves from vans but don't consider it harrassment. I've had a few compliments on my bottom image

like Seren old folk often make little remarks or say I wish I could do that - quite jolly really

• Options

I've had the odd incoherent comment from White Van Man but very few and far between.  The only time I was really hassled was when I was coaching one evening and so was standing on my own for short periods of time while the runners were doing a circuit.

But the on the whole I am more scared of dogs.

• Options

I'm a bloke so doesn't really count, but I did get wolf-whistled once ... and still to this day I can't understand how somebody can possibly get THAT drunk and still be standing.

• Options

Yeah I don't get any problems as a bloke despite running through some of the rougher areas of Manchester. 

• Options

You might get wolf whistled if you ran up Canal Street. image

• Options

118 118 got your number.......... I find that quite amusing image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    I find that people are generally very keen to tell me that they used to be amazing runners. How they manage to do this in the short time I'm in earshot I don't know.

I've had a few catcalls and whistles, but it's generally more old folk telling me to do some for them, or pretending they're going to race me.
  • Options

On a club run once, we had a young lad shout "your left foot's catching up with your right foot, your right foot's catching up with your left foot, your left foot's catching up with your right foot...." over and over again while we all went past. I thought that was quite original and made a welcome change from "run, Forest, run"!

I often get beeped, waves, whistles and shout outs, but I can't say I've ever actually felt harassed...

• Options
    KerryDixon wrote (see)

I often get beeped, waves, whistles and shout outs...

That'll be the Chelsea fans who still fondly remember the 30 odd goals a season you used to bang in for them in the mid-80s.

• Options
    Not a woman but amusing anyway. Once when running the Newark half I was constantly harassed and ridiculed by virtually every spectator. Mostly shouts of Oy GOT YOUR NUMBER. my race number was 118. Actually it spurred me on to a Pb, all that crowd recognition. Even better than having your name on your shirt.
  • Options

I was doing a 10K in Reading on a hot and sticky summer day, not my ideal conditions, and was suffering badly and reduced to a survival plod with about 3K still to go. This was on the path alongside the Kennet heading back towards the Thames. A kid of about 16 draws up alongside me on his little jump bike, baseball cap on sideways, skinny little lad with a face like a ferret and a rollup in the corner of his mouth like Andy Capp.

Here we go, I thought, let me have it son, I can take it.

I got: "Come on mate, step on it and you can still win this one."

The actual winner had by that time finished and grabbed his medal and was probably back home in the shower.

• Options

Here where I live in Germany it doesn't seem to happen at all, nobody has ever said anything to me while I'm running and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem - however, I do run with 2 large dogs (on leash) just in case.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Ironwood- It is having out of control puppies that draws the most attention to female runnersimage