Options

Any first timers want to talk about VLM 2015?

Comments

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I see it's going to chuck it down. I've invested in a clear disposable poncho to help keep on at the start but I can't imagine running in it.

Tried some Hoka Clifton at the expo. Not for me.
  • Options
    At least the forecast can only improve now!
  • Options
    It goes up to 9 so sounds about right. I've just been to expo and in pen 7
  • Options

Forecast looks dire. Planned to run im shorts but maybe leggins are a better option for the rain?

• Options
    Agreed. I'm going to take both and play it by ear
  • Options
    But arguably some would say shorts are better as the rain just rolls off your legs as opposed to sucking it up. Saying that, my only option is knee length leggings. I'm guessing a hat with a peak will be key and a shed load of Vaseline-ing with all the extra chaffage.

I'm going to try the bags over my socks tomorrow to see if it works. The idea of soggy feet before you even start sounds hideous. And definitely pack dry clothes for after.

Genuinely mostly worried keeping my phone try tho... I can't not have it on me tho for music and making sure I stay in touch with friends and family... Damn you british weather image
  • Options
    I'm also pondering clothing etc! The forecast has been downgraded a bit and is no longer heavy rain alllll day long, it's now light rain in the morning stopping in the afternoon. So fingers crossed it won't be as bad as we're fearing.
  • Options

I was wondering why I'd spent a fortune on a Goretex jacket in Dec when I haven't needed it right thru till....Race Day. Typical!

• Options
    what should my taperin be this week and what food should I eat on Saturday
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

It won't be snow and thunderstorms. There will be some gusty winds, and it may be a bit damp. Not looking that cold.  I would just make sure you wear something you can dispose of to keep you dry and warm at the start, a bin bag or something, and wear normal running kit. I would though make sure you lube up well as wet/windy weather can be worse for chafing. Also, if you do get wet get changed as soon as possible after the race into dry clothes.

Oh, and enjoy yourselves. No matter what the weather, it's always a bit of a carnival. You'll love it!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Eat plenty of carbs today and tomorrow fishface, but don't overdo it, just reduce protein/fat, don't eat stuff you haven't eaten before or could give you an upset stomach. If you run at all just make it short and slow.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

If it does rain the key thing to worry about is chafing? So lots of Vaseline around seams and hems and under arms - and St johns ambulance always hand it out on course.

In 2009 I wore a vest and my arms were raw at the end -but I don't think long sleeves would have made much difference? Some people did have jackets around their waists which they put on when it rained - but personally I find that too much faff on the day? Definitely an old sweatshirt and a bin liner for the start.

They do have marquees and free tea at the start - it is a scrum but you can take some shelter if it's truly awful.

• Options

BBC weather is showing light rain in the morning and then cloudy from 1pm. Wind speed of 8 or 9mph. I don't mind running in the rain - but that said I've only ever done it on shorter distances. Zip lock plastic bag for phones will be fine.

Guy at the expo mentioned vaseline between your toes is good if it rains too. I'm in the one of the last pens so will find someone in fancy dress with a brim of some kind to hide under image

• Options

BBC weather is looking hugely improved, looks like the majorityof the rain is going to blow through overnight which is goooood news image

Now all I need to do it get rid of this soar throat and head cold and I'll be on my way!

• Options

that's good news! Honey hope your cold gets better asap

I'm in red start pen 7 - anyone else too?

• Options

Howey84 I meant - sorry for overfamiliarity image

• Options

Thanks Goji, hopefully with two more sleeps to go I will feel much better come Sunday.

Already kind of decided that if I'm still feeling the same way I might adjust my strategy to getting round the first hand and then jogging / walking alternate miles in the second half to make sure I get round

• Options
    Thank goodness the forecast is improving. I don't mind a bit of rain but hours and hours of being soaked through didn't sound like too much fun!

I'm blue start, pen 7, I'm wearing a bright yellow lullaby trust vest with STEPH written across the top in big black letters. I know it's not v likely but if any of you do see me say hi. I'll be terrified!
  • Options
    Ps hope you feel better howey
  • Options
    Oh no! Running with a cold in the rain does not sound fun. Hope you feel better.

Don't worry Fleet Girl, I think all first timers like us will be terrified! I think the atmosphere will be so great the terror will fade quickly (I hope!).
  • Options

Does Vaseline on your feet do the same job as Body Glide or is it different altogether?

• Options
    As far as I know the same thing. Could be wrong though, I've never used either anywhere
  • Options

Just popping in to wish all you first timers luck.

Whether your race goes to plan or not remember to enjoy it anyway!

• Options

thank you Scream image

• Options
    Thanks screamapillar image

Anyone know if we can take photocopy of passport to register rather than actual thing? I'm going to mexico Monday and don't want to risk losing it if poss! (I've lost my driving licence so can't take that instead!)
  • Options
    Thanks scream image

Bam - no idea but I wouldn't risk it without calling first
  • Options

Can't wait to go now. I'd run today if I could. I've loathed tapering, feel terrible like I'm seizing up. Bring on the London Marathon!

• Options
    I'm quite happy it's not today! I'm still working up to it. Having a lazy morning at home eating toast then need to go and source a waterproof poncho from somewhere (any ideas?)

Then dropping the children off at my mums around 3 and getting the train to London. Pasta for dinner tonight.

Wish my husband could come to the start with me, I'm going to be so anxious all on my own
  • Options
    Question re the pacers if anyone knows. Which pens will they be in? Presumably the faster ones will be in earlier pens etc, how do I know what pacers will be in my pen (7)