Options

Any first timers want to talk about VLM 2015?

Hi, I've had a look for another thread for general chat but not really sure if I should be joining an existing one or not.

I'm training for London in 4.5 weeks time and the entry stuff popped through the door today, getting really nervous (and excited).  I'm rather slow but training has been going well. I was aiming for a sub-5 when I started but over time have started to wonder if I can do a bit better than that. 

My training plan has been made up as I go along by me, with a staple weekly long run (20 max weekend before last) and 2-3 other runs per week.  I have a suspicion my other runs haven't been long or targeted enough. I have a bit short of time with a full time job and 3 young children so have been squeezing in 3-5 milers 2-3 times  a week but often at lunchtime so struggle to get out for longer, and haven't really done any speedwork or anything like that.   Panicking a little about that now but I guess it;s probably a bit late to worry about.

I did a half marathon at the weekend and felt strong and comfortable the whole way, finishing with a sprint to come in at 2.07.  When I put that time into Fetch it spits out a marathon time of 4.25 which is far beyond my expectations but would be absolutely amazing.

I'm not sure what to do with my training from now really, I am guessing I need to do 2x long runs this weekend and next, then taper with a 2-hour, 1-hour then marathon the 3 following weeks.  But how long should I do this and next weekends?  2 more 20s (please God no), or can I get away with less?

Any advice or chat would be welcomed!  I haven't really got anyone to chat to about all this as have been doign all my training alone but marathon thoughts are occupying most of my waking (and sleeping) hours now!

Comments

• Options

Your training so far sounds very much like mine. We shall cross our fingers together!! For the taper maybe you could look at Hal Higdon's plan or something like that?

• Options
    Sounds like 4.30 might be on the cards rather than your sub 5.

I always double my half time and add 20 mins and its not far out.

If you've just done 1 x 20 then I think you might struggle to hit 4.30. The next 20 you do should feel easier than the last. The more you do - the better you get used to them ?

I'd think about doing a 20 this weekend and again on the 12th and then theres a two week taper.

What pace are you running the 20s at ?
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭

May be a 16m LSR this week, 21m LSR the following week and then taper 16m, 10m , race. 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sounds like you're going to be well prepared, you will have a fantastic day.

• Options

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

I am thinking I'll definitely go for a 20 this weekend and then probably see how I feel, maybe another 20 or 18.  I've been gradually building up the long runs so I've only done 1x20 but I have done an 18, a 17, a 16, a 15 etc (and all the way back down to 6)!

It's fair to say my pace on my long runs is rather slow, I haven't been pushing it as scared of the distance, so 18 miles took me 3.15 and 20 took me 3.40.  I start out at around 10 min/miles and fade once I get into the teens to a barely moving pace!  I think perhaps this weekend I should maybe start a little slower and try and maintain longer.

I'll have a look at Hal higdons plan, I keep looking at various plans but haven't found one I like the look of (too much running haha).

If I could get sub-430 I would be so happy but yes realistically I think it may be a bit more than that.  Hopefully not too much more though image  Can't wait.

• Options
    That 20 miles was an average of 11 min miles. So if you're going for say 4.30 - its only 18 mins slower pace. I think you should slow it down a bit more. Save the legs for the racing.
  • Options

Yeah I do keep reading that the LSR should be a good 1-2 mins slower than "race pace".  The thing I'm struggling with is I don't actually know what my race pace is or should be.  Shall I  just try and stick closely to 10min/mile on the day do you think?

I worry about going too much slower than that on my long runs as how will I ever run faster on the day?

Thanks for chatting to me, it's so nice to be able to pick over it!  The people at work are getting a bit bored of me I think.

• Options
    Well plan your race pace back.

We know your half time suggests a 4.30 time - so base it on that.

About 10 mins 18 second per mile.

So you want to be running slower than that.

What you must NOT do is race the long run. Dont forget that you run this on the back of all of your training, and faster paces and no taper. So you are running on tired legs.

Come race day - with all those decent training runs in the now nicely rested legs - you can hit that race pace.

Its probably the biggest mistake to try and do your 20 milers at race pace and then try and carry on the training. It cant be done if your race pace is honest, and you will burn out. Just look out for the threads on the Monday after the Marathon....
  • Options
    Ok thanks, that's reassuring. I will take it very easy in this weekends 20.

On the day should I aim for a steady pace throughout or start off faster on the basis I'm likely to fade?

Are you running in London?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Aim for a constant pace or even set off slightly slower and then ease into target pace. The last 6 miles will be the most miserable time ever if you have gone out too fast and have to walk home. Much better to have the crowd cheering you on as you overtake all those runners that went out too fast.
  • Options

cougie,. so many people with a sub 2 hr marathon struggle with a sub4:30.I did for years.....strange as i did long runs.....

but some seem to manage it easily.

so have a few times in mind.....and A, B and C time.... say a if all goes brilliantly then sub 4:30.....B  a sub 5 and C .. to finish

and then if you are not on target for one you dont become despondant and give up

good luck all..

• Options
    that does sound rather amazing. At the half at the weekend my second half was faster than my first and I overtook loads of people which was brilliant and so great for confidence. Most races I've done before I've rarely overtaken anyone, just been overtaken a lot so think I am learning.

Ok so that's sounds like a plan for the day which is making me feel better now.

Is anyone else running? I'm in the blue start apparently my magazine says today. I have no idea at all what predicted time I put so not sure which band I'll start in but I would imagine a slow one.
  • Options
    I do think a sub-430 might be out of my reach, those long runs are a killer.
  • Options

I've done a 14,16,18,20,21 and plan to do 22 next week then taper, 

best half is 2:05, I hope to finish in 4:50

also in blue wave

• Options
    Thanks Zoe. What are you basing the 4.50 on? Are you planning to run at a 11+ pace from the start?
  • Options

I've only done 1 marathon before which was portsmouth in 2013, there I was hoping for 4:30 but as it was a mix of terrain underfoot I found some parts quite hard, I did it in 5:11

4:30 would be nice but I intend to start 10:40 per mile and see how I go, I am aiming to run under 5 hrs, not walk any of it and finish! image

• Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I think its so unpredictable I really have no idea what will happen which is partly why I have no idea how fast I should or shouldn't go. Obviously I want to do the best I can but I also want to vaguely enjoy it and be able to run the whole way.

Under 5 remains my goal really but I wouldn't want to be disappointed with whatever time I get so just finishing is the main aim of course.

Can't see in my mag anywhere what zone I'm in, guess I'll find out when I collect number etc. maybe there'll be a 4.45 pacer I can try and stay near.
  • Options

thats not in the mag so guess we find out when we pick race number up, 

I've not followed a plan either! 

• Options

Hi All

Like many, I have not followed a plan as such, I tried at beginning. Generraly been out a coupel of times a week for about 6 miles a time. Weekends been doing the long ones.

I am now behind on training as had a knee injury, on my last long run I only hit 15 and suffered severe cramping!  Never had this before, I had planned on 18 that week.
    I have to hit the 18/19 this weekend, as I had planned on doing originally doing x2 20 milers before the big day, I now know that wont happen though.

Hoping for adrenaline and cheers on the day to help me through! image  

• Options

I've had a bit of a shocker of a year and training has been... erm... sporadic. 

Ran Coventry, Warwick and about 6 more half marathons in training, along with a 16 miler and the MK 20miler. HOWEVER in-between all that I've come down with the flu and had two bouts of Tonsillitis. Think I've only been running twice a week on average (I know, not great) but I'm praying the fitness I've already got will get me round. 

Oh and now I'm wrestling with a bit of a calf niggle!  image

Planning on walking the drinks stations every mile and just getting round to be honest. 

Hope everyone else's training is going well image

• Options
    Sounds like you've done a great amount of training anyway so I'm sure you'll be fine. Hopefully the cheers will get us roubd image
  • Options

Blimey, I've taken the advice of the Asics 26.2 nutrition thread and actually worked out what my carb loading should consist of in the couple of days prior to VLM 15. It's absolutely tons of food, no wonder I've been feeling fatigued so early in my long runs. Right, pass the cake!

• Options
    I'm probably the same. I'm horribly weight conscious so I'm sure I'm not eating nearly enough. I did my last 20 mile run yesterday, only ended up doing 17 last week as I was so exhausted I bailed early.
  • Options

I've got a 23 mile run to do tomorrow. Just read the Asics article, realised that I'm massively under fueled and am now main lining Jaffa cakes!!! 

Missing the point perhaps......

• Options

Fleet Girl I think last week was also tough because it was so windy. I thought I'd done 18 miles last week I was that knackered, and it turns out it was 15. I hope we don't face a head wind on 26 April!

• Options
    Absolutely bricking it now guys. Last long run (20 miles) was the middle of March. Since then stuck to half and 15 milers with the intention of another 20 miler over Easter. Now I've gone and got tonsillitis again (third time since the start of March) which is going to lay me up for at least a week.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry but I think it's definitely a jog/walk strategy for me now.
  • Options

I'm with you richypee. Been held bag with injury and illness.  Here's to a major rush of adrenaline on the day image

• Options
    I'm sure we'll all be fine. My husband ran it a couple of years ago and the exact same thing happened, he did a 20 miler early March then got ill and recovered too late to do another. On the day he was great and only missed his original target time by a few minutes so all good.

I'm varying between bricking it and very excited!!

What times are we all hoping for? Ideally I'd like to be between 4.30 and 5. The closer to 4.30 the better obviously but no idea what will happen so just finishing is the main thing.
  • Options
    My best and last marathon was Edinburgh two years ago and I came in at 4:15.

This year though, I'll be happy crossing the line in 5 and hopefully not hurting too bad.
  • Options
    I've booked a day off work in case I hurt too bad! Have to say though after yesterday's 20, my legs are oddly fine. Don't even really ache. They did hurt intensely for about half hour after I finished but fine after that.