Options

Pfitzinger Race Thread 2015

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hello strangers!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

To anyone interested...this thread is supposed to be for anyone following either P&D Advanced Marathoning, or the new Pfitz book (P&L?) Faster Road Racing for 5k to Half marathon distances. I guess Hansons followers can contribute too...

I'm about to start following one of the 10k ones for a local 10k in July.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm not planning to use any Pfitz plans. I feel excluded. You bastards.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

WITCH! BURN HER!

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Urrrr..not scabby Hansons! image I'll be following a couple of P&L plans this year, though I'm not sure which yet, as I need to check out the scheduling of local races. I may well follow one of the 15k/10mi plans, followed by a ½ plan. ..or maybe a 10k to start.

• Options

Not sure I'll be using any Pfitz plans either! But I'll just include myself anyway especially as I named the thread!image

Concentrating on heart rate training for a while to see if I can improve my aerobic base. Have to keep talking myself out of an Autumn marathon though!image

• Options
    Evening all

After using P & D to successfully complete a sub 3 2014 VLM and a subsequent break from marathon training/running (partly forced through injury), I sucessufully used the same schedule (18 55/70) to complete last Sunday's race. Didn't go quite as quick with a 3:03 but GFA qualification was achieved (which was the pre race goal) as I'm 51 so not too unhappy

Having had a few days to reflect/plan I'm now seriously considering an autumn marathon (possibly Bouremouth?) to maintain/build fitness prior to another crack at London in 2016

Just wondered if anyone has run Bournemouth before and if so what their thoughts were regarding it? Any input/comments welcome!

Thanks

Dave
  • Options

Fancy seeing you all hereimage Liking the shiny new thread

Whats Dublin like as marathon Fergster? Flat?

Bloody hell the race list could be huge (parkruns don't count) Thank you Rachel for taking on that mammoth task

No run today after having a stonking hangover from drinks with the director last night. So first run tomorrow..fun fun fun

Will be planning my racing schedule this weekend image

Good work at London Dave, from what I've heard bournemouth is a fast course unless the wind picks up then the bit along the seafront can ruin a good time

• Options
    FinbadFinbad ✭✭

Hullo all,

I've lurked about a bit for the last couple of weeks on the Spring marathon thread because I'm planning to use the Pfitz 18 70/85 plan for the New York marathon. Am planning to run the Dumbarton 10k in the polaroid series on 21st of this month and the Glasgow half on 4th October and maybe a few other races this year. Looking forward to picking up some tips. Ta

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dave and Finbad.

I went out for my first run since VLM tonight. 5 very slow miles and my quads are still aching a bit but glad I got my arse out of the door.

I will be following a slightly modified version of the Multiple Marathoning 4 week schedule in the lead up to the Kent Roadrunner marathon at the end of the month.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Yo. :B I haven't decided on my plan but it's pretty likely it'll be P&L for at least part of it. Quite fancy a scabby Hansons plan for a half, I reckon they would be fab for speed + endurance...
  • Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Scott, I've never run Dublin before, but my mate Mart has - he recommended it with good crowd support and a flat, fast course with no relay or fun runners. Ticks the 'reasonably local' box too.

I'll be following the 18/55-70 plan with some speedy logic applied from the dirty Hanson's book for an October marathon in Dublin (with a HM preparation race in Belfast in September).

All aboard then image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

After a horrendous year 2014 where I was diagnosed with a heart condition which meant a shite year running-wise I'm now firmly back on the road and will run a half in June for which I'm planning on using the road running book and then an autumn mara in October loosely following the P&D 70-85 plan. Doctors orders are to stay away from max. effort so no VO2 max reps but tempo runs are fine. Other than that it'll be loads and loads of miles. Bring it on image

Huge well dones to all of you guys getting new PBs this spring image I lurked on here every now and again and enjoyed all those VLM storiesimage
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning.

Hello David to Finbad, and hello again Chicksta.

David, don't know anything about Bournemouth marathon except Martin Yelling is very much involved in it and it's supposed to be pretty good.

Finbad - NY! Exciting.

Chicksta - glad to hear you are back on it. You are following a pretty heavy mileage plan for the autumn, you building up a solid base? Which marathon and half?

Running about 10mi this morning. Nice not to have to do long runs that wipe out the rest of my saturday.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Westy: as I can't do proper speed work I need to compensate with mileage. Don't forget that I regard a 50 mile week as standardimage

I'm still base building but have run a number of 60 mile weeks in March and April image

Hamburg half on June 21 and Bremen Mara on October 4.

Prague marathon relay tomorrow image

In Bratislava right now image
  • Options

Welcome Finbad image

Great city to visit as well Dublin, one to consider running then

Hello chicksta, sorry to hear about the heart conditioning and glad that you are back running

First run since London for me later, got to go into town first though before it gets too busy

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I've been reading p&d for a bit and was prescribed something akin to the 18/55 schedule for VMLM 2015. Focus will now be on 5k and strength until it switches to autumn marathon.

Glad you're back on track chicksta
  • Options

Morning all peeps image

Westy & Scott - enjoy your runs today.

Rest day for me but will go for a swim and then run tomorrow, (don't really like all this rest and recovery malarkey but know it's important, have to do what Mr P says).

• Options

So better late than never. My report from London from those of you who haven't already seen it on the PnD Spring Mara Thread

Travelled down to my girlfriend’s Nan’s house on the Friday night, meaning we could get down to the Expo early on Sat morning spent a bit of time walking round there and then headed into central London for a spot of lunch in the wonderfully named ‘Scott’s Café’ and then a bit more walking (in hindsight too much walking). Anyhow, had a poor night’s sleep on Saturday but got up early and had Weetabix with a banana and a coffee and headed off to the station. Soon after getting on the train I realized I didn’t have my garmin (DOH!) but thought it would be okay as was aiming to run 6:40 pace so 20minutes every 3 miles for a2:55 finish time.

Got to Blackheath with plenty of time to spare and wondered around for a while trying to keep warm and watching the big screen, saw Steve Way briefly and went to the toilet early for poo 3 of the day. Handed my bag in with about 25 mins to go and then got into the now longer toilet queues. This gave me time for a few mins of stretching before heading into pen 2 at the blue start.

The gun went and after 32 seconds I was across the line, very congested first mile or 2 but by mile 3 this eased off a bit. Due to having my name on my vest I was continually having people shout my name, which was brilliant and really helped around the course.  5km split was 20:10, closely followed by the next 5km split in 20:13 meaning I was well ahead of the 2:55 target at this point.  Got rid of my gel belt at this point as it was annoying me. Slowed down a bit over the next 2 5km splits but that was to be expected and these were 21:01 and 20:55 respectively. Saw my girlfriend and family cheering at around the 12 mile mark which was nice but it was here just before Tower Bridge I realized I was going to suffer big time in the second half of the race.

Going over the bridge Millsy ran past, and a quick tap on the shoulder and hello followed as he surged ahead looking good.  The next 5km was done in 20:35 including reaching halfway in 1:26:51. At this stage I was already struggling and keeping Millsy insight up ahead became my target. Next 5km in 21:15, however it was getting harder and harder and at times I really wanted to stop and walk but I could feel my legs getting tighter and didn’t think they’d get going again if I did. Next 5km was even worse in 21:42 and it was somewhere around this point that CJ from eggheads ran past (who finished ahead of me in the race, but turns out I beat by 13seconds by chip!).  From here on in it was a shuffle home, runners were streaming past me and I was losing a heap of time, next 5km came in as 22:59. With a mile to go I managed to lift myself a bit and managed to pick the pace up slowly but I didn’t seem to be getting any closer to the finish, 800m, 600m, 400m marker, I was waiting for the turn into the Mall and when it came I put on a bit of a sprint and crossed the line hands in the air in 2:58:17 and a 7minute pb J Had a slightly embarrassing moment crossing the line where my legs just gave way and had to be held up by 2 paramedics but was okay after a minute. Then came the slow and painful walk to get bags etc and meet the family by which time I was feeling rather emotional. Was passed by 169 runners in the last 7.2km and only passed 72, so says it all really my worst paced race yet with a 1:26:51/1:31:26.

So all in all not the time I wanted really but GFA for next year and a solid sub 3. Unsure whether to do an autumn marathon, got a few over summer I might do as more training runs but immediate target will be recovery and some shorter stuff

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Welcome one and all - Dave Pickering 4, Finbad, chicksta and Granola image.

Great attitude chicksta, I hope your preparation is injury and hassle free image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

...remembers to uncheck the 'Email me when a response is made' box image

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Going to use the  multiple marathon 6 week programme, - have complted a 53 mile ultra last weekend, so I have no speed at all, but can run for ever, if I go slowly enough.

The idea of doing vo2 max intervals again is a worry!

• Options

How did the ultra go tricia? The speed will come soon, just need to build on that endurance base image

First run since London complete, 5 miles at 8:48 avg

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Howdy gang!

Well in Westy - Do you know what? maybe next person to open a pfitz thread should just bin the date and let the bugger runimage Bit like the sub xxx forums.

Lake Vyrnwy is a great run (pre empts rachelgens list wizardry).

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    2nd run since London done. 5 hilly off road miles and the legs feel a lot looser than yesterday. New trail shoes felt great as well.
  • Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

The ultra went great- ie I finished, within the cut off time, with no serious damage, and I enjoyed the day! - all 14hrs, 26mins of it!

So my plan says I've already missed a couple of recovery runs- which goes against the advice I've heard before that you should take a week completely off after a marathon. I ignored that advice after the last marathon I did ( as a trainig run, so thought it would be fine), but I ended up with a knee niggle after 2 weeks, so thought I'd recover properly this time!

Well done on the post - london runs, folks- are you trainig for a trail race next, Millsy?

• Options

Glad that the legs are starting to return to normal Millsy

Great work tricia, in the past I have followed PnD's recovery plan which has 3 runs in the first week after the marathon whereas this time I only did my first run since Sunday today and will probably get out a few more miles tomorrow as well

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

a shiny new thread, I'll be following the 18 week 55/70 plan for Baxters in September, but I'm hoping to get in a  couple of 10ks  a 10 miler and two HMs, between now and then.

Rachel can you add the following onto your list please image

Nairn 10m June 7th
    Peterhead HM, June 28th
    Forres 10k July 4th
    Nairn HM Aug 15th
    Moray HM Sept 6th
    Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 27th Sept 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tricia, I've got the Giants Head Marathon and the Roseland August Trail 32 in June and August. Both are off road and very hilly.

Well

Done on the ultra finish.