Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Oh good, Orapidrun is doing Paris and Eggy is doing Amsterdam and all is right with the world once again! imageimage

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Thanks BM & EGGY, I've read a couple of reviews of Larmer and as you say BM the concensus is it's a great race. Are they killer hills or long and gradual ?

I don't think next year will be about PB's for me, unless I end up getting carried away ??? which may be likely :-S

Sorry to hear you're still suffering RADAR SAL, hope the rehab helps soon image

EGGY & ORAPIDRUN, come on, you're both aware that resistance is futile :-P
  • Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Nodster - welcome to the borg. You're signing up for 20 marathons next year, did I read that right?

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Signing up for them, hopefully I'll stay in one piece long enough to run them all too.

On that note, how are you feeling ?
  • Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Wow, good for you - what's that's just under two a month for a year - what a challenge.

Skin has come off a blister on sole of left foot, a bit tender still but should be good to go by the start of next week. I was going to try and get out there about now but it's too early. Legs have cleared out the aches, no pains, but still got some tiredness to shift yet......recovery is near complete!

• Options

Orapidrun - are you still feeling amazing every time you think about what you did?

Nodster - yes, they are biggish hills but most people seemed to overcome this problem by walking up them. It's forgivable on a trail run, and often the most efficient way to get round.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Wow Nodster!!!!

20 never peanuts.  2 a year is still a good effort so 20 is 10 times that amount.

to put this into perspective we are talking more or less a full marathon on average every 2 weeks, so at least you won't need to worry about training or tapering.

i haven't attempted anything like that before (thought my 2022 miles last year was a lot) though I'd imagine you'll need to establish which you are going to treat as training and which you are going to 'race'.

good luck and definitely will keep you focused, you'll deserve the sponsorships.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Orapidrun:Well done on the 100k,phenomenal running
  • Options

A marathon every other week is going to be hard work, hat off to you Nodster! You'd think that fitness should be kept up because you're running the distance every other week but I'd be interested to see whether that is actually the case, maybe you'll lose some speed as the year goes on because (a) recovery won't be complete by the time the next marathon is started and (b) you can't train to full effect, weekly mileage would probably be lower than during a regular period of training, it'll be a great experiment! With a task of 20 in a year though you wouldn't be looking to get PBs every time, it really will be a marathon and not a sprint, I'm really rather jealous, you're going to be the new Emmy! image

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

20 marathons in a lifetime would be pretty damn amazing on its own. Be interesting to see which you decide to enter Nodster. Just the travelling and budget would be enough to rule me out of that challenge let alone the effort and endeavour!

Will be keenly following your progress. Glad to be joining you for a part of it at Paris.

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Thanks BM, I'm having problems finding many marathons in this country early in the year, so may have to bite the bullet :-S

Thanks everyone else, you're making me nervous ! HIAHS, I think I'm more worried about being able to stay fit for the whole 12 months. Nutrition, rest and steering clear of flu ridden people may be the biggest challenge.

The training will be another big issue, I think a recovery week and a taper week including a bit of speed work will be the approach. I'm certainly not looking for 20 PB's, in fact later in the year PW's are more likely !

It'll be great to run some with you guys, Paris and The Midnight Sun already booked, Enigma Winter, Marathon day and Kent Roadrunner. Probably booking Larmer tree and Brighton in the next week or so.

Maybe it would've been easier just to give my entry fees and travel costs straight to the charities, but then we don't do easy do we ? (HIAHS & ORAPIDRUN ! )
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I certainly don't expect to be the new Emmy, the old or rather young Emmy has too many years on me, has far more endurance than me and is slightly madder than me !

I'm not chasing the 100, next year will be a one off ?????????
  • Options

Nodster - Saxon Shore events tend to have lots in the winter to choose from, they are all coastal so you get blown to pieces but if you're just focussing on getting round and not on breaking any records then they'll be fine. They aren't very inspiring courses though as you have to do multiple laps of the same stretch. You could also consider doing a couple of double marathons, that would mean that you have more weeks off in between, that might occasionally be easier than the shorter recoveries?

• Options

Also if you look at www.100marathonclub.org.uk it has a list of all the marathons in England, Europe and everywhere else, that might make it easier to plan your year!

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice HIAHS, very helpful. I'll take a look at the 100 clubs list of events.

I have got my eye on some Saxon Shore events. The Marathon day Marathon is one of their's, so I'll pack my hat and gloves ! May look at doubles later once I'm up and runningimage
  • Options

Hi everyone, sounds like there are some serious successes going on here! I just spent a week in Co Donegal with work and did some fantastic runs along the north coast of Ireland - hilly and beautiful with some amazing and distracting views. I am thinking about doing this next year - www.donegalmarathon.ie - a small marathon in August but the route looks pretty rural and scenic. Has anyone done this one before? 

• Options

Never done or heard of it Joanna3 but Donegal is certainly a very beautiful county.

• Options

Deputy list fairy here. If you want adding, just mention it in a post

Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 26: Lunar-tic Marathon – Sunnysider Phil. Outlaw Ironman – Chunktfg.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 1: Dunoon 'Toward for a Tenner' Half - Meadower, Running Rodent.
    Aug 2: Regent’s Park Summer Series 10k – Nells. Ride London – Sunnysider Phil.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 8: HELP Half Marathon – Meadower.
    Aug 11: Boyska's birthday.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 22-23: Bad Cow Double – Heroine in a Half-Shell, Thisisnatty (Saturday only?).
    Aug 30: Perth City to Surf Half - Charlie4. Severn Bridge half – HeatherS, Minniemonster, Ness2. Shaken not Stirred – Thisisnatty. Trail Larroque 10K – Onetit.
    Aug 31: Cakeathon - Thisisnatty.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 6: Bridgwater Half - Heroine in a Half-Shell. Chippenham Half – HeatherS, Ness2. Kenilworth Half – Mattleydon, Orapidrun. Wetherby 10K – Andy W.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 12: Marathon du Medoc – Benign Murmurring. Scotland Coast to Coast - Kaz.
    Sep 13: Great North Run – Andy W, Jimbob, Meadower, Peter Sting Wray, Will Run For Food. Ironman Wales – Sunnysider Phil. Kilmalcom Half – Eggy. Wirral Half – Orbutt.
    Sep 15: Yorkshireman off road Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Suzy Larkin.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 20: La Sapaicaine Half – Onetit.
    Sep 27: Berlin Marathon – LloydR, Meadower, Minniemonster, Nells. Paris-Versailles – Running Rodent. Windsor Half – Peter Sting Wray.
    Oct 4: Chester Marathon – Heidi Barr.
    Oct 5: Bingo Race - Loubella.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 10: Bingo Race - Karen Bowman 2. Freemantle Half - Charlie4.
    Oct 11: Chicago Marathon – Dannirr. Oxford Half – Agentpenguin, Kenno, Orapidrun. Royal Parks Half – Jellybum, Nells. Yorkshire Marathon – Andy W.
    Oct 18: Abingdon Marathon – Sunnysider Phil. Amsterdam Marathon – Benignmurmmuring, Betzza, Emmy, Heroine in a Half-Shell, Jellybum, Jimbob, Kenno, KeyserSuze, Mattleydon, Nells, Nodster, Onetit, Orapidrun, Thisisnatty.
    Oct 24: Beachy Head Marathon – Meadower.
    Oct 25: Dublin Marathon - Joanna3. Great South Run - Loubella. Marine Corps Marathon – Orbutt. Stort 30 - LloydR.
    Oct 27-29: Three Lakes – Thisisnatty.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 1: Marlow Half – Agentpenguin. Men's 10K Edinburgh – Meadower.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. California International Marathon – Berkeley Runner.
    Nov 7-8: Enigma Fireworks Double – Heroine in a Half-Shell.
    Nov 15: Leeds Abbey Dash 10K – Andy-W-. St Neots Half – KeyserSuze. Valencia Marathon - Running Rodent.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 25-29: Saxon Shore mischief - Heroine in a Half-Shell (5in5), Run Claire (day one) Thisisnatty (Double).
    Nov 29: Florence Marathon – Jimbob.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 5: Battle of Waterloo Challenge - RunCaire.
    Dec 20: Porstmouth Coastal Marathon – RunClaire, Sunnysider Phil.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 2: Winter Enigma Marathon Day 1 - This is Natty.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday. Winter Enigma Marathon Day 2 - This is Natty, Nodster.
    Jan 7-10: Dopey Challenge: Heroine in a Half-Shell, Meadower.
    Jan 10: Hobart Marathon - Charlie4.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 26: Marathon D

• Options

Feb 26: Marathon Day Marathon - Nodster.
    Feb 28: Relativity Run: Run Claire.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 6: Anglesey Half – Agentpenguin, Nells.
    Mar 9: Book Day Challenge - Run Claire.
    Mar 13: Liverpool Half – Orbutt. Silverstone Half – Andy-W-.
    Mar 17-20: Quad @ Enigma Week – Thisisnatty.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday. PARIS MARATHON 2016.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Brighton Marathon – Meadower, Thisisnatty.
    Apr 18: Boston – Sunnysider Phil.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 28: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 29: Liverpool Rock 'n’ Roll Marathon – Andy-W, Orbutt.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 18: Tromso Midnight Sun Marathon - Heather S, Nodster, Meadower.
    Jun 23 : Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Deputy List Fairy, please put me down for the Larmer Tree Marathon on 13/3/16.

Thank you.
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEADOWER image

Hope you have a good day mate ..... that 10k must have been a nice present !

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Meadower! Hope you have a great one.

• Options

Deputy List Fairy - please could you put me down for 8th Aug - Plym Trail Marathon. Thanks!

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Good morning everyone.  Can I please ask for some injury advice?

I've got pain down the inside of my left shin.  I've had it for a few weeks and assumed it was shin splints.  I now don't think it is.  I'm using the foam roller on it and icing which works very well.  I'm running with calf guards which help it also.  I go out for a run and after maybe half a mile, the pain completely goes, which is why I don't think it is shin splints.

Just walking around, I can feel the pain.  I did 10 miles yesterday (bailed out, was planning on 12) and it was fine.  I know if I do anything tonight, it will be a disaster, so I won't.  Will probably ride my bike.

I'm getting stressed about it because I'm running Amsterdam (my first marathon) and I need to start to increase my long runs.  So far I've been running 4 times a week and getting 30 miles a week in.  The foam rolling and icing seems to be working fine and isn't stopping me getting out.  I am having 1 horrible run a week where the legs just don't want to move.

Am I doing the right thing?  Do I need to take a week off from running?  I'm a cyclist so can easily get the cardio in doing that.  On average once a week, I think of throwing the towel in and giving up on running a marathon.  Only thing that has stopped me doing that is the feeling of letting people down.

I'm feeling jaded and looking for some help.

Thanks for listening.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'd recommend going to see a physio. It sounds strange that the pain disappears once you get running. The fact rollering and icing helps makes it sound like a muscular issue. If walking causes pain I certainly wouldn't advise running.

A lot of us have don the run through an injury thing and it's never a good idea. It's better to hit the start line a bit under-trained and injury free, than fully trained but injured.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Agree with Eggy - see a sports therapist. Sometimes you get a pain and then it goes away by itself. This doesn't sound like one of those and it is affecting your mood and motivation. Tendons and joints can be painful when they are not warmed up. The fact that your pain goes after a half mile of running suggests that the area needs to be worked before you exercise it.A physio will be able to isolate the area and understand what actions cause the pain and then treat it and work out what exercises can help the recovery. I've been told to stretch for some issues and definitely not to stretch for others. You need to know what the problem is before you can treat it effectively.

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Cheers Nodster (and Eggy!), it certainly was.  Unfortunately I'm paying for it a bit; my foot's pretty sore.  I'll take some time off, and hoping to be okay for Dunoon in a fortnight; cycling doesn't aggravate it so can still get some cardio in.

Kenno - what Eggy/LloydR said!

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Thanks Eggy, LloydR and Meadower.  I'll get to a physio this week.

Will also have a few days off and get on the bike instead.  It will probably cheer me up too.

• Options

Hi all, when  is the closing date for Paris 2016? Is it a ballot or pay online? Does anyone have the English link for the Paris Marathon?

Thank you in advance.

John.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

John here is the link. http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us/registration/registration

Registration reopens on September 8th. It's not a ballot. It's first come first served, but the price increases depending on the number of places sold. Get in early for the cheapest entry.