Options

So anyway, Sepp Blatter...

Comments

• Options

The investigation is about corruption but do you really think we should ignore 1200 deaths (and counting) ?

If you are talking about deaths involved in building the Notre Dame I suggest you need to get a grip. This is 2015 - it's unnecessary and unacceptable. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Russia won't get looked at.  Unfortunately the issue with Qatar isn't their homophobic beliefs it's because they are nation with no football heritage and moving the tournament to December disrupting the european leagues.

I think the issue is all the people that have died building the stadiums. That matters more than anything to do with football. 

i agree it should be but it will be a statistic brushed under the carpet.   worker deaths have nothing to do with Fifa or football govn body other than they awarded the tournament to that country.  unfortuntely whilst it is a frightening amount of deaths more "football" people are upset with the world cup moving to december.  and ultimately that is the hook people will try and use to take this away from qatar.

regarding corruption, all bids past and present were upto it.  some worse than others...but look at the England bid.  meet Beckham and prince william...vote for england and we will play a lucrative friendly match in your country etc...

• Options

Meetbeckham and William is not in the same league as I will sneak a few million pounds into your bank account

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Have there been any other deaths for migrant workers in other building projects that are not related to football? I don't know the answer but can take a strong guess.
    Mind you I reckon they may be oil/gas/petroleum related so that's OK then.

• Options

I daresay they have Dustin - doesn't make any of them acceptable.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here to be honest with you. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

seren . agree - but playing a friendly against trindad and tobago earns a lot of money for them.

Dustin

/members/images/549285/Gallery/qatar.JPG

• Options

Exactly, Dean.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to make a point as such, just an observation that Qatar's record of 'health and safety' long pre-dates football.
    If anything the awarding of the awarding of the World Cup may prove to be a good thing (long term) as it brings the Gulf's state appalling record of treating migrant workers into the spotlight.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i agree dustin, my point above about if the world cup is taken from qatar , it wont be because the worker deaths as this isnt about football.

mind you the stats presented like the above should make someone somewhere sit up and take notice

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Screams, get a grip? Me? You need a chill pill.

In other news, H&S is a completely different issue, and is not why blatter is going.

Unless the deaths in Qatar are due to a dodgey deal for safety equipment involved backhanders to FIFA, it won't even be looked at. However I bet that taking the World Cup off Russia is what the fbi investigation is driven by. The Cold War has already reached permafrost status but everyone is still pretending that Russia can and might put right what it has done in Ukraine, knowing full well it is already internationally and politically fucked.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Jack wilshere has been charged with improper conduct by the FA. Spurs fans can now rest easy. I do like a happy ending.
  • Options
    VDOT50 wrote (see)
    Screams, get a grip? Me? You need a chill pill.
    In other news, H&S is a completely different issue, and is not why blatter is going.

Unless the deaths in Qatar are due to a dodgey deal for safety equipment involved backhanders to FIFA, it won't even be looked at. However I bet that taking the World Cup off Russia is what the fbi investigation is driven by. The Cold War has already reached permafrost status but everyone is still pretending that Russia can and might put right what it has done in Ukraine, knowing full well it is already internationally and politically fucked.

I didn't say the deaths had anything to do with Blatter's resignation. Although, of course, they do have something to do with him (or should). If you are the head of the organisation running a competition where 1200 people have died building the infrastructure you ought to be the teeniest bit curious as to why. In fact you should be bloody well doing something about it.

These people haven't all died in accidents you know? Lots have died from heatstroke. Basically worked to death.

And do you think the UK government would have been allowed to ignore it if that many people had died building the infrastructure for London 2012?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    You'll have a hell of a time proving that the Qatari government is complicit in working those people to death. That's what FIFA would have to do in order to say they breached whatever contract was set up when they awarded them the World Cup.

It might be the case that thousands die building skyscrapers and shopping malls and snow domes in the desert but nobody notices because it's not the world cup. They just gawp and party their on their stopovers.

It would make more sense for fans to pressure their teams to boycott.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Nayan, a point well made.

Screams, I do not disagree with you, I just hope that they focus on the corruption as that is easy to prove, relatively speaking.

On the news they keep banging on about the Russian and Qatar comps being in doubt. I hope they are right but I doubt it.
  • Options

If the world cup committee turn a blind eye to the deaths then they are condoning the working practice's of that country....one of the conditions of the bid should be to ensure top class facilities under modern safety practice s built honestly

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

workers died in the preparations for the Athens, Barcelona  and Sydney Olympics, and the Brazil World cup. They are currently dying in the preparations for the Rio Olympics.

Of course this isn't on the same scale as whats being alleged in Qatar but you're on thin ice if you're using that as the way out of having a world cup in that country

• Options
    VDOT50 wrote (see)
    Nayan, a point well made.

Screams, I do not disagree with you, I just hope that they focus on the corruption as that is easy to prove, relatively speaking.

On the news they keep banging on about the Russian and Qatar comps being in doubt. I hope they are right but I doubt it.

Qatar has always been in doubt for lots of reasons aleady mentioned but Russia - too close to the tournament and the risk of upsetting a very nasty man with some very nasty weapons. 

Russia will go ahead as planned I reckon.

And what Seren says. The fact that it is happening means lots of people are turning a blind eye. At best it is poor working practice which needs reform, at worst, virtual slavery.

There are no workers' rights and no unions - it should be ensured that all that stuff is in place before bids are even accepted.

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

All those deaths and I have not heard one word of compassion spoken from old Sepp and co. Just like all the corruption that's being going on under his  nose for years, His and there attitude is " Nothing to do with us, Everything has been above board ". Anyone or organisation that can pay so little responsibility for human life would not think twice about lining there own pockets ahead of there responsibilities.

Yes on this front about the death toll, nothing can be proved, but why should the emphasis be about proof ?  What to me stands out above all else in this is that despite the deaths and his arrogance shown is that he still got re-elected. 

That's the world we live in and what it has turned people into. That's why it is more important than ever for the powers to be  to act now.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The Russian bid should be redone simply because of that 'nasty man' and the invasion of Ukraine and sanctioning of homophobic persecution, oh and the bribes paid to get the comp in the first place.
  • Options
    Nayan wrote (see)

workers died in the preparations for the Athens, Barcelona  and Sydney Olympics, and the Brazil World cup. They are currently dying in the preparations for the Rio Olympics.

Of course this isn't on the same scale as whats being alleged in Qatar but you're on thin ice if you're using that as the way out of having a world cup in that country

Large scale construction work of all kinds is highly dangerous and, sadly, workers will die. But not in their hundreds.

Does nobody actually understand the difference? It's the difference between doing your utmost to protect workers as best you can and not giving a sh*t because they're expendable. 

London 2012 = one death. I invite you to put that into perspective.

Therefore, yes, it is reason enough on its own as far as I'm concerned. 

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Skating on thin ice ?.   It is supposed to be the greatest sporting event. Something that so many millions celebrate. But wait it could not of happened if all those poor souls died just trying to make a living. Its sick that it can be celebrated at such a cheap expense of others.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

And of course no migrant workers have suffered in the building of refineries, pipelines and, in the wider Gulf, building tourist related infrastructure.
    I accept that the numbers are dreadful as Qatar pushes towards a fixed deadline. But is this not a human rights issue rather than a football one?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I think it was about 50 deaths in Athens. I did say it wasn't on the same scale as Qatar- which I agree is grotesque.

The point is just that in saying Qatar is bad but the other death tolls weren't severe enough to merit cancelling those events the argument against Qatar falls over. You need a bigger stick with which to hit Qatar if you want to enforce some kind of contract breach clause and this isn't it.

Unless you can prove that the government is whipping and driving slave labour you wouldn't stand a chance of cancelling the contract. Even a strong, reformed FIFA would balk at the prospect of that fight.
  • Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭
    Dustin wrote (see)
    And of course no migrant workers have suffered in the building of refineries, pipelines and, in the wider Gulf, building tourist related infrastructure.
    I accept that the numbers are dreadful as Qatar pushes towards a fixed deadline. But is this not a human rights issue rather than a football one?

The comparison you made is where the problem lies. It is what people do to excuse themselves and justify a situation. This and that don't matter because this and that happened here and there. Where will it end ?.
    It is a football issue as it is an  issue for everyone.

• Options

Nayan, if it's proved that bribery was involved, nations refuse to play in Qatar and FIFA essentially dissolves, then any contract becomes meaningless doesn't it?

Anyway, I don't think we should be worrying about contracts. This is a moral issue and if Qatar are failing to protect their contractors, something needs to be done. If Qatar decide to start suing the shit out of anyone and everyone as a result, that's a secondary and far less important issue, in my opinion.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    What if it is proven that Russia paid for vites? Should the Russian bid be revoked and played in the U.S?

I for one would like to think that they will seek to deal with the background to the Russian bid first and once that is sorted, look at Qatar, because it would be unfair to punish one state more Han the other for the same crime.
  • Options

Maybe there will be no-one honest left in Russia by 2018:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32976294

• Options

Given the way the 'top boys' seem to be lining up to turn "Queen's Evidence" and squeal on their mates in order to potentially lessen their sentences, I think we should be in for some interesting revelations shortly !

• Options

And now it appears the Irish F.A. took a bung to shut up about the Henri handball.  

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I'm not defending the Qatar bid and I find the idea of the world cup in our winter and at night very stupid.

I do think that Qatar would exploit legal grounds if you don't have a clear cut case so I think the better route is to embarrass them into giving up. Boycotts etc.