Options

Panarama - Allan Wells - Drugs

Comments

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The problem with policing drugs is that the designers are always ahead. A life ban is the only real way to stamp it out, but then you get people like chambers making a mockery of of the sports right to choose who it allows in.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Chambers wasn't caught. He had enough conscience to find living the lie too much to bear so he coughed. Same as David Millar the cyclist.

Others just lie and lie and lie. Buts that's all.

Armstrong was in a league of his own. He'd actually sue anyone who challenged his lies. Now there's a fucking arsehole.

🙂

• Options
    Laurent DLaurent D ✭✭✭
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Whether or not he got any benefit from the EPO was largely an irrelevance, since we already know that elite athletes do.  The point was that he was able to get hold of it from the internet, take it for a period of time and pass the 'biological passport' testing.

Yes, but what does "passing" the biological passport test mean?

As I understand it, for the biological passport, you need to be tested over a period of months to establish a baseline, against which deviations are then assessed. Did this guy actually do that? Or did he just do one test before and one after?

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I think he jumped onto a lorry at Calais.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Chambers wasn't caught. He had enough conscience to find living the lie too much to bear so he coughed. Same as David Millar the cyclist.

Actually Millar was busted by the French police.  Says so in his own biography.  Syringes in a hollowed-out book.  Classic stuff.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    What I meant about chambers is he tests positive for thg, gets a lifetime ban from the British Olympics team under rule 45 and managed to overturn that because it was a bit harsh or some other bollocks.

I don't mind he fella, but he should never have been picked again after his positive test.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I agree with your sentimonies VDOt (and others), once a cheat for me, always a cheat, and should be banned.

But when you see other sportsmen return to their sports after killing someone (a few footy examples), mere cheating barely seems to register in comparison.

Unfortunately "Human rights" and all that BS is on their side,

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bloody human rights, eh.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, the Tories will sort that shit out.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Mo (100% clean) Farah racing the 5000m against some pretty tough competition tonight in Lausanne. I guess only on bloody eurosport or something.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

...and Farah won apparently...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

...and Gatlin wins the 100m, beating Gay and Powell. image.

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭

Who came 4th?

Who cares?

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭

Allan Wells seems to have got off remarkably lightly on this thread!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    His face fits...
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

well...hasn't been hardly anything in the media about Alan Wells since the documentary, it's all Salazar/Rupp/Farah.

GB used to do pretty well in athletics back in the early 80s, around the same time as this GB drug cheat doctor. Maybe they were all on it too.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

yeah, definitely not Daley.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Apparently Farah told Andy Vernon to "F*ck off" after the race yesterday. image

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Do you think Andy said 'I'm the fastest runner that resides and pays tax in the U.K.'
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Or the fastest British runner. Or the fastest clean runner. Etc.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Did anyone not already know our; or in Vernon's opinion, Somalia's, man Farah wasn't capable of....language?

When he was a junior, he went into a European XC event as favourite and was tripped up on purpose by some German. Nice!

Farah didn't win or even place in that event.

Rumour had it that he spent so much energy screaming you 'f..ing c..t' into the transgressors face, that he went into oxygen debt.

🙂

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

was it in fact Zola budd?

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Nah, Zla bud was South African. Oops I mean British. A bit like mo I guess.
  • Options

Unfortunately, the public image of athletics and cycling means that any exceptional performance is immediately questioned.

Recent examples - G Dibaba's 1500 m world record last week (breaking a record set by one of "Ma's army" that was thought to be unbreakable) and Chris Froome's stunning uphill stage win the TdF.

On the one hand with the vastly more effective testing and scrutiny nowadays, it seems hard to believe that anyone would take the risk.

On the other, twice-convicted Justin Gatlin is running faster "clean" at 33 than he was when he was found to be breaking the rules (and in an event where you would expect someone to be well past their best by that age), so no wonder people are confused.  

I got hooked on athletics ( and cycling, and other sports) in an era when boundaries and records were being continuously pushed forward - and that was the whole essence of the sport.  With the benefit of hindsight, lots of those records (Marlies Goer, Flo Jo, Randy Barnes, Daniel Komen etc) would be immediately suspected nowadays (in some cases, with good reason).

I guess those of us who aren't "on the inside" will never know.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Out of interest, how does an athlete prove themselves a better athlete than their rivals without actually beating them?

Froome appears to have done something unthinkable. He beat some other bikers up a hill. Can't see the problem. They were wiped out knackered, he wasn't. 

His rivals are calling for the critics to give them some credit. 'Yes Froome is good, but not so good that he makes the rest look rubbish.

For what it's worth, Froome's nearest rival; based on the overall time in the TDF, is currently 0.999237% as fast as Froome is.

No investigation into him I note.

🙂

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭

it seems very like Radcliffe must be the British athlete with iffy results. 

What is more intriguing is that the IAAF is hiding this stuff from WADA.