Options

Panarama - Allan Wells - Drugs

Comments

• Options

Question to Mo Farah during his press conference.

" when you joined the Oregon Project, it was common knowledge at the time that Alberto Salazar coached Mary Slaney at the time she tested positive and was given a ban in the 90s; was this a consideration for you or for anyone at UK athletics?"

Mo's response: "Yeah that’s a serious question and that’s a question I asked before and Alberto said he wasn’t coaching her at the time of her drugs test"

Ahhh, good response Mo, if he wasnt her coach then nothing to do with him right?

Yet somethings odd. Because the 1996 Track Trials where she gave a positive reading to testosterone was in June. Yet just one month prior, a certain Alberto Salazar said this in the New York Times.

"Slaney holds five American records from 800 meters to 3,000 meters, and she may also hold the record for running-induced surgeries -- 18 or 20 by unofficial count of Slaney and her coach of two years, Alberto Salazar.

"It's a two-edged sword," said Salazar, the great marathoner who speaks from painful experience. "The greatest athletes want it so much, they run themselves to death. You've got to have an obsession, but if unchecked, it's destructive. That's what it is with her. She'll kill herself off unless you pull the reins back."

That is exactly what Salazar and Bill Dellinger, the track coach at the University of Oregon, have done with Slaney: Pulled the reins in. Put her on a program of controlled workouts and gradual progression.

She has been surgery-free for a year and has run pain-free since before Christmas. With a time of 15 minutes 38.61 seconds in mid-April, Slaney has qualified at 5,000 meters for the Olympic trials in June. There is talk of doubling up at 1,500 meters.

"I honestly believe she is better poised than ever to win an Olympic gold medal this summer," Salazar said."

--- Oh dear Mo, it looks like Alberto has been telling you more fibs.Isnt it annoying when things like the internet come along and hold you up to public scrutiny.First Mo is telling us he didnt know about this till 3 or 4 days before airing, when we know he knew much earlier. Now hes saying that Salazar wasnt the coach of Slaney when she got busted when actually he was. Best fly back to the States Mo so you can all get your heads together and come up with a story you can all stick to.

• Options

I'm not sure we are discussing the facts at all.

There are no facts or allegations relating to Mo and doping.

There are facts about Rupp using TUE for his asthma and having a prescription in 2002 that stated testosterone.

And there are testimonies from some ex NOP athletes that they were encouraged to use TUE to gain an advantage when they did not require the drug.

AS has stated that the prescription was wrong and was actually for a supplement called TESTO Boost. 

I'm surprised that this fact can not be proven one way or the other by the person who wrote the prescription.

What we are discussing is what these facts suggest about Salazar, Rupp and, by association Farah, and their behaviour since the programme was aired.

All 3 have stated their innocence.

• Options

And just in case you're thinking .... ahhh but Mr I, maybe he quit in the weeks after that interview and so technically he wasnt her coach.

Well apparently not only was he her coach then, but at least 7 months later he was still her coach.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1309&dat=19970129&id=svxOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PRUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1242,5566333&hl=en

• Options

Salazar - Asthmatic

Rupp - Asthmatic

Mary Slaney - Asthmatic

Who knew so many world class endurance athletes suffered from Asthma.

• Options

Good find Sherlock - the last couple of paragraphs are interesting put in the context of Galen Rupp.

After the 1996 Atlanta Games she was struggling and was diagnosed with asthma - so she ran for years and years at an elite level and then developed asthma and once on the medication everything clicked - this is possible but is another unfortunate coincidence.

• Options

Yep funny how as soon as they come under the tutelage of Salazar they suddenly realise they've been suffering from Asthma. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Radcliffe also suffers from asthma. Just saying!

• Options

I also suffer from asthma.

Kids with asthma tend to be skinny, maybe that makes them more likely to be distance runners if the asthma is controlled?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options

I find it funny that Mo goes to Portland for some start of the art training with all its top class facilities and cutting edge science. Then disappears for months on end to some remote African village. Bet his red blood cell count must be huge when he comes back, what with all that high altitude training he does there.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I think it's fair to say you're a bit sceptical Mr I.

I think loads of them are at it, but getting away with it. You just have to use the EPO during training so you can benefit from the shorter/better recovery the drug gives you...not at races where testing takes place. The only way they get found out is if investigated enough and someone spills the beans like with Armstrong.

• Options

Mr I, why do you seem so desperate for all of this to be true?

Personally, although things look bad for Salazar and Rupp (but much less so Farah) I'll keep an open mind until all of this is investigated. I hope that they all turn out to be innocent, but if not, then any cheating should be punished.

• Options
    Surely they have out of competition testing?
  • Options
    Micro dosing appears to get round out of competition testing
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    The real Mr I wrote (see)

I find it funny that Mo goes to Portland for some start of the art training with all its top class facilities and cutting edge science. Then disappears for months on end to some remote African village. Bet his red blood cell count must be huge when he comes back, what with all that high altitude training he does there.

I find it funny that anyone finds if funny that altitude training improves your red blood count, or how that could possibly seem odd given that people, some of which are runners  do live in said Kenyan village (its called Iten, by the way).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_training

Last time I looked, it was illegal to stockpile your own blood when training at altitude and later transfuse that blood into yourself. That can be tested for and caught of course. I don't think its illegal to train at altitude though, so I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make. 

• Options

I think his point is that Mo is a doper, despite there being not a shred of evidence. I'm not sure why he wants this to be the case so badly.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

can we just sweep this one under the carpet please folks.

If Mo, Paula R or Usain ever were found guilty, we might as well all stop bothering watching elites.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Mo is a doper and so are all the Kenyans. Iten is dope city. Allegedly.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Ahh that old chestnut. Those 'elites' are only better than me because they cheat. 

Bit like where some tool tries to attract a woman in a nightclub, fails miserably and then struts back to his mates, having concluded that - since she didn't respond to his 'charms.' she was obviously a lesbian.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

can we just sweep this one under the carpet please folks.

If Mo, Paula R or Usain ever were found guilty, we might as well all stop bothering watching elites.

imho

Paula and Usain were/are at a new level....... If they were Russian / East German we would be screaming about them. If they aren't then they have raised the bar.

Mo.. to me he seems different, he doesn't smash the 5k and 10k records, he's on paper not the fastest in most of his races, but he just seems to have learnt how to win the big ones, his "failure" at marathon distance is again I think something that shows he is a mere mortal. 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I seem to remember everyone being up in arms at the idea of a fourteen year old chinese girls swimming her way to olympic gold in 2012. Something about genetically engineered humans or some bollocks. Not sure whether they accused her of high altitude swimming or not.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In a way I've inside information on both Mo and Paula. It's one advantage of having been on the scene so long that when I first crossed their paths, they were still kids in their teens.

Paula was a worker who loved running, just running. Mo was a lad who really wanted to be a footballer, but was so good at running, that all and sundry kept at him to be a runner. They had no interest in money.

I'm sure that once both of them had got going in the right direction, the only question they asked themselves, was how good could they be at running. It wasn't about money.

Money came later. In fact, it was only when Paula's husband Gary discovered that lesser runners than his wife were being paid £50,000 appearance money for races Paula had asked to be able to run in, that he realised others were taking the piss, and advantage if possible. He soon stopped that shit.

Mo would have just told them to go 'fu.k themselves', he wouldn't have known why, but it would have been a natural reaction for the lad from the school of hard knock (ers).

Drugs!

Not in their personalities!

🙂

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nah. They're all on it. The whole sorry lot of them. It's a big Nike dope party.

• Options

Im not desperate for it to be true. I dont like people taking us for fools. Mo lied in his press conference. He didnt know just 3 or 4 days beforehand. He knew much earlier. I dont like his faux, im angry and demanding answers stance. Sorry Mo, you knew about this for ages and you had ample opportunity to talk to both salazar and rupp but havent and not only that but you lied about the time frame in which you were told to justify why you havent asked questions.

I also quite frankly dont like his attitude with the whole ... 'you guys are killing me'. No Mo. The journalists are merely asking the questions they are supposed to. The only person who is killing you is Salazar. If mo wants the fame and money when it comes to competing at the very top then its time he grew up and realised when you sign up with a guy who has been on the record as saying all the top guys cheat and who was coach of a world class athlete like Mary Slaney when she was busted and then tells Mo he wasnt her coach despite numerous articles to the contrary, then you only have yourself to blame when you get burnt by association.

I have no idea if hes doping. But I know he made statements in that press conference which werent truthful. Now maybe he didnt know at the time they werent truthful ... who knows ...but that doesnt change the fact that we arent being told the truth and Mo's anger is entirely misdirected. He only  needs to be angry at two people. Salazar and himself.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    In reality the outcome will not affect any of us, just like the lance Armstrong fiasco did not affect us. It will just be another talking point, regardless of the truth.

Mr I is putting forward information that indicates a pattern with Salazar, but as yet it is all merely circumstantial as no trail had taken place, and in the words of the house of pain, it ain't a time if you don't get court.

I hope farah is innocent, because if he isn't the media will start referring to him as the British athlete born in Somalia.
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Not the Mo-bot.

Not the weeing (I won't start the 'number one' , 'number two' debate) marathon lady.

it's like learning the tooth fairy is not only your mum, but that the tooth fairy/mum forgot to leave you your 50p after she had butchered your mouth to pull the tooth out.

Hard times. 

• Options
    I can't believe paula would dope after her protests against doped runners. I hope Farah doesn't need to.

Maybe rupp needed some help.

Let's see what happens but I'm not burning my quorn yet...
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Now QUorn.This is a bigger doping scandal. WHY EAT PROCESSED FOOD?????? This drives me mad.  I was so disappointed when he started pretending he ate quorn.