Options

Outlaw 2016

Comments

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

This time last year pre registration had opened for the half. No sign of it yet.

• Options
    Red Stripe wrote (see)

I used change tents at Bolton for a full kit change and will do at Outlaw - especially as new PSOF kit arrived this morning. image

No way I'm wasting time changing..... every minute counts. How else will I get under 15hrs! image

2 more decent sized weeks of training, and then it'll start easing off.... getting close enough to be a little bit excited now!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Oooh, getting close

Currently doing some warm weather bike training in France (Raid Pyrenees) - this year's secret weapon!
  • Options
    MC you'll easily get under 15 or my name isn't Matt Bianco. image
  • Options
    Starting to count down the days to Outlaw now.

I'm having a great month (so far). No races this month so I'm just overdoing it and enjoying it. Could do with some warmer days though. Doing a half marathon 2 weeks before Outlaw so July will be a bit more thought out. I'm even eating properly!

Last years Outlaw time was about 11 hours and if I can keep things going like they are now I would hope to be somewhere around there again.
  • Options

Had a recovery week last week after Cotswolds 113.  Still training, but not long sessions or high intensities.  Now back for the last 3 weeks hard slog and then hopefully start tapering.  Getting nervous, and a little excited at the same time.  My first full distance and I'm under no illusions of the enormous challenge that's ahead of me.  I'll be pleased to just cross the finish line, as no idea how I will perform, being the first one.  My plan is to try and enjoy it and smile through the pain at the end.  Might be a bit emotional when I finish

• Options

Just correct that for you....

"I WILL be a bit emotional when I finish" image

I don't know hardly anyone who hasn't had to fight to control their emotions on the finish line of their first (and in quite a few cases, subsequent) IMs.... and I know quite a few who have failed to control them spectacularly too!

• Options

Post IM emotional instability is best managed with large quantities of beer and/or rum.

18 mile run done yesterday.  My main concern is that I'm not entirely convinced I can do the marathon any quicker than LSR pace.

• Options

What pace are you doing your LSR at Nurse?k

I had issues with running the last few years so only been running for the last 7-8 weeks consistently. Up to 13-14 miles on the weekend at around 12 minute pace. Alot slower than my usual 4-5 mile runs mid week

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Just correct that for you....

"I WILL be a bit emotional when I finish" image

I don't know hardly anyone who hasn't had to fight to control their emotions on the finish line of their first (and in quite a few cases, subsequent) IMs.... and I know quite a few who have failed to control them spectacularly too!

Oh dear.  At least that will make me feel better if I have a total meltdown image.  Definitely something alkofrolic afterwards - bubbles or rum or beer.  I'm not fussy.  I've instructed my mates to make sure that a can of bitter is ready for me to sip on the run.  Find it so refreshing after all the sweet stuff.

• Options

hee hee... Flat footed and I had a pint on the final lap at Lanza this year..... tasted like heaven!

• Options

Bristol, about 60s slower than target pace.  
    I'm just being a moany old bag.  I always go through this phase of getting fed up with the training.  It'll pass!

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

hee hee... Flat footed and I had a pint on the final lap at Lanza this year..... tasted like heaven!

MC - yours was a cold one though. Don't forget, it never rains at outlaw. That bitter will taste like tea!

• Options

While i'm at it. Boring injury update......

Calf finally appears to be happy again. Hamstring on the other hand is still temperamental. (Caused as a result of compensating due to dodgy calf!). It's seriously limiting my run training and i'm having to keep it slow and short. But all being well i'll get to the start line in several pieces and do my best. And failing that I'll be there to cheer you on and to drink Redstripes rum.

• Options

The thing is..... a slow injured PT will still be quicker than the rest of us.... the only way I'll beat you is to make sure that you extensively sample Redstripes rum just before the start...

• Options

Afternoon all

Things have gone a bit wobbly here.  I've been struggling with insomnia (something which pops up to bug the crap out of me from time to time) and haven't had an unbroken night's sleep for at least a month now.  I've been trying to ignore it and keep going but I feel it has finally caught up with me. Went for a run this morning and felt utterly shite.  It should have been 9 miles, but I stopped after 6.  My legs felt like lead and it was a huge effort to put one foot in front of the other.  I was on the verge of tears when I got home, I felt so exhausted.  I need to tackle this or I'm going to make myself ill and Outlaw will be a non-starter.
    So I have decided to take a break for the rest of this week.  I have also decided to take Nytol for the rest of this week (the drugs do work), and I'll see how I'm feeling after the weekend.
    Now I just need to try to keep on top of my control-freakery and not twitch about missing two or three runs.

• Options

Nursey - dont panic yet there plenty of time to rest and train then taper.

My running has been a bit hit and miss too and even bonked on a 9 miler as didn't have enough fuel onboard.

Swim will be what it is just hope I don't get beaten up, bike I'll keep rolling forward but run I am not looking forward to on my training and recent accidents, tripping in the forest in the dark and getting covered in bruised at a 24 hour team trail run so Ive not been swimming in two weeks, cycled just once and no running.

Oh and I've got a lumpy 70.3 on Sunday - Exmoor ironman. SO if that doesn't kill me I will be at start of Outlaw.

• Options
    Only doing the bike but bike training has been a bit lacking! Hoping to get about 60 to 70 miles covered with LittleClown this weekend. I'll get through the bike leg, it's just a question of how much pain and discomfort I'll be in at the end...
  • Options
    Well what a strange ending to the week. Couldn't really believe the news on Friday morning. However just have to get on with things now.

After today I have one more Long bike ride to do, two more jogs around 16 miles and one more longish swim with smaller bits in between.

Can't say I'm getting excited or nervous now because I have been since I signed up.

Hope all is well with everyone.
  • Options

Only managed 24 miles on the bike on Saturday due to horrible conditions that were getting increasingly harder to cycle through. Loads of standing water on the lanes of Cheshire so we called it a day and finished with a tough climb.

Getting increasingly closer to telling work to shove it though (currently working an extended notice period and they've started taking the mick, so as I've already seen out the required 4 weeks there's a chance in the next day or 2 I'll call it a day) which will free up some time to get more riding done. If I don't sack work off, long solo ride next weekend. Promise.

• Options

Great training everyone. 

I had a funny weekend of training, 15 mile run ended up at 13 due to tight hamstring and 5-6 hour on the bike ended up at 3h due to the hamstring again. Could of carried on but thought it would be best to stop and heal before this weekends long training.

Getting worried now thats it so close and i feel i haven't been able to do long rides the last few weekends. 

110 mile sportive on Sunday so hopefully that will get me back on track

• Options

Question?

I am the bike leg for Pirate Team 24, am I allowed to run along side/probably behind our runner after the bike so I can get the benefit of a long brick?

• Options

Effing Madness - I would imagine under the strict interpretation of BTF rules (Rule 6.1 xiii to be precise) this would not be allowed as it could be seen as acting as a pacemaker. But I doubt anyone would really care.

But why would you want to, when you could be getting drunk with the rest of us!!! image

• Options
    If you want the benefit of a long brick run you can keep running to the burger van and back for us
  • Options

imageimage Both excellent suggestions!

• Options
    Mallowpuff wrote (see)
    If you want the benefit of a long brick run you can keep running to the burger van and back for us

Yeah, I'll be craving chips on the bike and run.  Brilliant idea.  I'm sure just me on my own, could keep you running around.  I also like ice cream. image

• Options

I'd appreciate delivery of rum on the run please Effing.

100 miles solo on Sunday, on silly hills, because I was forced to ride away from the lovely flatness of Oxfordshire. I survived, but was a broken mess in the evening and yesterday. 

Also - moving to Manchester this week, anyone from here live up that way?

• Options
    Flat Oxfordshire now your having a laugh.
  • Options
    I'm moving back to Manchester in August
  • Options

It's flat where I live image

Good to know Mallowpuff - a friendly piratey face would be nice to have in the area. Grand total of people I know in Manchester is 0.