Options

Half Marathon Recovery

Hello, i completed my first half marathon on Sunday. i was aching yesterday but now only have a slight ache in my quads. How long should i leave it before training again. i was thinking of just going for a swim this evening.

I'm also very keen to increase my base fitness to help me through the London Marathon - any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Why not go for a run instead this evening - it will help your base fitness for FLM more than a swim will.
  • Options
    just worried about recovering properly....i'd never ran as far before and am scared of over doing it.

Might save running for tomorrow and take it easier today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    KLM - have a swim today, then go for a run tomorrow - but run at a very easy slow pace, use it as a recovery run.

which race did you do?
  • Options
    I did the Watford Half. i enjoyed it until about 11.5 miles and began to find it very difficult. I did run quicker than i do normally which could account for that. My time was 1.58 which i am pretty pleased about for my first race since the Egg and Spoon when i was 10!
  • Options
    Thats a brilliant time, Well done!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    KLM - Very impressive for your first race. Everyone goes through that nasty bit from 10 to 12 miles in a half. You can't help but run that bit faster in a race, that's why it starts to hurt.

have you any more races planned?
  • Options
    FLM - but nothing before then.
    Also going skiing during the first week in March which will mess my training up a tad.

Are you doing the FLM?

Any advise??
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Skiing will do great things for your quads. You will also come back from hols raring to get on with your training for FLM.

Congrats on your first half marathon time, it was great. It always hurts in races, especially from mile 10 onwards in a half!!

I would swim today as Shades says then easy run tomorrow. You will have contributed greatly to your FLM trainins with your fast half at the w/e.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    You could run whilst skiing, in the evening, but you could make your legs very tired for next day skiing an risk an accident. But if the weather is bad for skiing you could certainly run and most resorts have a gym with treddie. so go prepared to run, but no running unless you have to. Walking at altitude will be good for the lungs, especially with skiis on!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    CEAL - think you are right about being raring to go when i come back from skiing. I'm going to try and run 15 miles before then so that I'll be well on schedule!!

Thanks,

Kathryn
  • Options
    I ran my first half on sunday too, in a very warm and VERY rainy Miami, and my legs are feeling it big time today after the flight home.

I used it for a training run for the LA marathon in March and was wondering the same question about recovery time, as i obviously need to keep training. I'll take tonight off as i havnt slept for 24 hours, but i guess i'll fight through the leg discomfort to start again tomorrow night....?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tinks - but when you do run tomorrow, run really slow, like a very gentle jog. this will help get rid of any residual stiffness and you can resume training the following day, or whenever your next run is planned. Well done on your first half too.

KLM - You're well on shedule with your FLM training. No, I'm not doing FLM, I have plenty of other races lined up though. I've done a few marathons so if you have any queries that I can help you with, fire away.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tinks it sounds like running very slooooowly would be a good recovery for your legs. Especially after a flight when everything stagnates and you need to move stuff around! Obviously after you have had a good sleep.
  • Options
    Shades - my biggest query is how do you get from 13.1 miles to 26.2 miles?

i felt like i was dying by 11.5 miles. i understand that the atmosphere at FLM helps you through and that the course i did (Watford) is quite hard as its so hilly.

I really want to enjoy the day - i know part of it will be torture but i want that part to be as short as possible.

I'm going to continue my long weekly run - what have you found to be the best work outs for marathon preperation in addition to extending your weekly long run? Also what was the furthest you ran before your fist marathon?

That should keep you busy :)

thanks
  • Options
    Hi-

I woud suggest for first marathon attempt getting up to 20 miles at least once.
    The adrenaline on the day will get you through the other 6 miles- and make sure you put your name on vest as the crowds will cheer you on- is very emotional !
    Gradually increase your long run. You have done 1/2 m so good place now. You could increase by 2 miles each time- so say 14/16/18/20-
    Depending on your time goal of course -
    Not sure how many weeks to FLM- but you could do these runs on alternate week basis so that you recover well in between/

If you can get 2 x 20 milers done- great- last lonf run 3w before if possible- 2w if missed any- but then big time rest last 2 weeks.

Good luck. No place for me this year !
  • Options
    KLM we must of passed each other a few times at Watford, I found it hard from 11 miles and got stomach cramp at 12.

Finished in 1:57:?? though my bodies regretting it today, think ive pulled something around my hamstring... ouch.....

Those hills killed my legs and one of the downhills was worse than going up, such a jolt on your legs...
  • Options
    Also did Watford & a 1.57 finish time which I was delighted with. Am having a couple of days rest before getting back on my feet tomorrow evening for something slow, social & easy!

KLM I ran my first marathon in Nov. My simple answer is that you just adjust to the distance - gradually increasing your long runs is key, plus the crowd & atmosphere on the day, plus focusing on finishing the distance & not worrying too much about your time first time out (after all you wouldn't want to set a target that was too hard to beat 2nd time around would you!!). In time, you will be thinking of 13 miles as you thought of 6 when you first ran that distance - a long way at the time but in retrospect more of a staging post actually!! See you in London!!
  • Options
    thanks for all the advice. its really nice that people are so helpful. i do feel a lot better about closing the gap between 13 and 26 miles now.

Thanks
  • Options
    KLM...i think i had basically the same experience as you, loved the first 10 miles, then like you,, found it tough going after 11.5, which made me worry about going the full 26 in a mere 5 weeks.

Someone suggested though, and i think there might be a lot in this...that mentally i had prepared for a half, so once i had got that far and realised i was going to do the half in the time i had planned, i just mentally lost focus and so it all started to hurt. I have a 20 miler on sat, so lets see how that goes....!

Also have to add i highly recommend the Miami half/marathon...well organised, possibly the most stunning pretty flat course, the best medal i've ever seen, and a great place to go for a short break....cant wait for next year!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone has just about answered your queries, and I agree with most of the advice.

I ran up to 20 miles before my first marathon, 22 would have been better.

The key to the long runs is to keep the pace down - your first target is to do the distance, and in relative comfort. if you're not sure what pace that should be check out Mcmillans training website.

Also lots of sleep, losts of nutritious food, look after yourself - you're an athlete!!