Options

Barcelona 2016

Comments

• Options
    From photos online and older barcelona marathon threads it looks like bottles.
  • Options

Thanks - appreciate it! How's training going for everyone?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

The last few weeks mileage has been 56, 54, 55, 62, 60.  The old body is creaking but still intact!  21m last Sunday included a snowstorm - got so cold I had to wimp out & do the last 5m on the treadie at home.  Can't remember a worse winter than this for training, it just seems to have been constantly blowing or raining or both, plus the odd bit of proper winter thrown in for good measure!

I ran 3:30 at Barca last year on pitiful training due to an assortment of niggles, almost didn't start.  Hoping to knock a lump off that this time that as training has gone much, much better.  Looking forward to it now, especially the lunchtime Estrella afterwards. 

• Options

When I first signed up for this I was hoping for a 3.10 time and I was planning an average of 58 miles per week for 18 weeks. Due to numerous injuries I have only managed 32 miles per week on average and my target time is now 3.30. I still can't wait to be there soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the post race beers and autopsy.  

• Options

I can just imagine that beer.....bliss....

• Options

I just finished my longest run, 35 km (which is about 22 miles I think), so now it´s tapering! image

• Options

I did this last year and in again this year to see if I can drop 5 minutes to go sub 3. Having ran through the 9 storms since November I'm hoping all the pushing I had done in to head winds and rain will pay off.

Hydration wise on the course was water in bottles along with Powerade in cups and bottles (half full if memory serves).

There is a great atmosphere on the course especially in around the old town about 35km on wards. I didn't fully appreciate that last year due to wheels coming off, but the shouts of 'venga, venga' were brilliant.

• Options

How does everyone taper? I have run an average of 25 miles/week the last 3 months. Long runs have only been 13,  15.6,  12,  18.5,  13.5  in the last 6 weeks as I was unwell  (some 11& 12 earlier in Dec).

2 weeks tomorrow and I feel I haven't done enough long runs.  Would a 14 miler be silly for my level?  I hope to do 4:30 on the day, I'm not a super runner like some of you... 

Just getting the usual nerves. 

• Options

I'm going to do some 30 min light runs and a bit of swimming but thats it

but i did do a long run today as my last run

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Caramba.. go a bit further than that if you feel up to it.  I did 18.6m on Thursday, most of the schedules I've seen recommend 16-18 miles 2 weeks before.  I'll run most days this next week and 12-13m next weekend.  As above I've been doing 50-60 mpw recently so it will be about 55m this week, 45 next week and not much at all in the final week.

• Options

Ay caramba! It's important not to over do it in the last two weeks before an endurance event. Tapering allows your muscles to be in peak condition (repaired) as well as strong from all the training you've done. The taper will be relative to how much training you've done. I'd say 10/12miles on Sunday and 6/8miles the Sunday before the race.

Have a look at: 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/asics/ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub%204.30.pdf

I can't see how doing 14miles vs 10/12 miles would improve your time but I can see how it could have the opposite effect!

• Options

Thank you Richard, Wardi and 20to12  (Cheers for the link !). Nice to feel supported.

I'm in a runner's blog to complete 100 miles per month and I need 14 to finish February. I will just go comfortable pace and do 2+ hours, whatever distance that might be.

• Options
    OK final preparations underway, I have a flip belt for some gels but can I just rely on water on way round for hydration? I'd much rather not carry any if at all possible. How regular is water?

Thanks
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Every 5k I think Richard, I do remember three gel hand out points along the course too.  If you go to this page and click 'runner's guide' at the bottom of the page there is tons of info there.

http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/eng/info_i.html

• Options

awesome thanks Wardi

• Options

Here is a map with the aid stations and what is being served. Gels are handed out at kilometers 22.5, 30 and 35: 

http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/files/Mapa_recorrido2016.pdf

• Options

Classic question sorry if someone has already asked it - are there mile markers as well. And if so, are they obvious or do they take a bit of spotting? I know these europeans love their KMs.

Very bored of the taper already!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Can't remember from last year BR.  Most of the Euro marathons I've done put them every 5 miles if at all.  I just set my Garmin to k's last year as I found it good way to monitor pace regularly.  In your case if you are after sub 3 that's about 4.15/4.16 per k! image

Weather looks ok at the moment.

• Options

Thanks Wardi! Training and racing over the last 16 weeks has gone rather well so think I'll be setting off at a very precise 2.54ish pace.

I assume you'll be well up the road? Is this your A race for the spring? Agree re; the weather, a bit of cloud cover would be lovely though!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nay BR, I'm 58 now so my fastest marathons are over.  Still enjoy it though which is the main thing!  I expect to be somewhere between 3:20 & 3:30 - I ran 3:30 last year as a training run as my build up was blighted with nerve niggles in one hamstring.  I only managed 2 long runs in the build up so almost didn't run it at all - glad I did though as it's a cracking marathon.  I've got the miles in almost without incident this campaign (57 mpw average since Xmas) so hope to knock a bit off last year's time.  Best of luck with your sub 2:55 attempt.

Incidentally I will be at the Suarna bar post race - it's on the right hand side at about 41 1/2k on the course!  It has cold beer, food & free wi-fi so what's not to like! image

• Options

Wardi - still a very respectable time to go round in, and sounds like training has gone well this time around.

I may make me way to Suarna afterwards - should have friends coming in anywhere between 3.30 and 5 hours so would be a good spot to spectate and have a beer at the same time. Might see you in there.

• Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

I could well be in the Suarna bar, sounds ideal

last question - I've found that my travel insurance does not cover marathon running, can anybody suggest any that do?

• Options
    Hi guys! Am I right in thinking we don't need a med certificate for Barcelona?
  • Options

Envierose: That´s correct. You don´t need any medical certificate.

• Options
    See you all there! (amongst all those thousands, HA) I'm setting off now.

I couldn't change my profile picture from my phone. I'll be carrying a Mexican flag on the breakfast run and my top has my name: Teresa.
  • Options

Weather looking good at the moment.

Anyone who has run before got any advice in the opening 7km? I'm hearing it might be slightly uphill. Is it worth slowing at any points on the route and make up times on the downs or just go for planned marathon pace all the way through?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

BR.. I can only remember one steady climb up to the Nou Camp but this is early in the race and not too taxing. The last 2k are ever so slightly uphill but barely noticeable.  A bit after 41k you cross from the right carriageway side of the Avenue De Parallel to the left; at this point you are about 400m from finito. image  

I'm doing the breakfast run with Mrs Wardi Caramba so will keep a look out for you.

Suarna Bar.. it has a decent sized area on the pavement (some covered tables) plus plenty of room inside.  It was warm enough to sit outside post race last year so hopefully we can sup a celebratory beer in the sun.  If I remember I will wear a bright red long sleeve shirt at the bar with 'East Hull 20' printed on it for ID purposes. 

Flying out tomorrow morning, really looking forward to it now. 

• Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

that was amazing, i managed 4.06

mildly miffed at not beating 4 hours, but gives me something to aim at for Brighton

I would highly recommend doing the barcelona marathon, get tickets to the nou camp too, messi and the ganag were quite phenomenal the day before hand

and a restaurant called viana (it's 3rd or 4th highest on trip advisor) was amazing too

thanks to the help and advice from people on here

• Options

Congratulations Rickard!

I finished in exactly 3.29.11 according to my own watch. Unfortunately I lost my bib somewhere between 30 and 35 km, but it crossed the finish line 50 minutes after me so someone must have found it an brought it along. image

I agree that it was a good race. Organization was excellent and the crowds were mental at times. Did enjoy the Barca game as well althought it was more of a show off than a game as Barca were tons better than Getafe.

• Options
    Barcelona was my first marathon. Finished in 3h57 with a 31sec negative split. So happy as I've been training hard for sub 4h. I'm only now beginning to walk straight again!

The medal is great but the t-shirt not so. Just a silly advertising slogan rather than a momento for finishing the marathon.

The course was good and the drummer groups every km or so we're a good distraction. I thought the organisation was excellent and the expo had some useful freebies like pace wristbands and loaves of bread!!

Next up London so will be interesting to compare.