Options

Barcelona 2016

13»

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Shame about missing the sub 4 Richard but glad you enjoyed it.

Neg splits are a rare thing in a marathon 20TO12, congrats on smashing sub 4.  Last year's t-shirt faded fairly quickly so I hope this years fairs better!

I must have finished fairly close to you SS, 3.29.26 chip time for me.  Just under my 'C' target so happy enough with that.  The grind up the last 2k was tortuous - those inflatable arches never seemed to get any closer!

FWIW I think VLM has more crowd support and very well organised, but I don't like all the travelling about to/from Expo, trains to the start etc.  Barca seems much less hassle to me so I marginally prefer it.

• Options

Nice one Wardi - looked for you in Saurna but didn't know what you looked like! Great recommendation though, loved it in there.

2.51.43 for me. A 1.27 - 1.24 negative split for a 15 minute PB! Still not quite sunk it yet.

One of the best events I've ever done, thought the course was brilliant, spectators were awesome and everything ran seamlessly.

Will definitely be back one day very soon.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Cracking run BR, running the 2nd half at circa 6:30 pace is impressive.  Always a nice feeling to be overtaking in the latter stages.  I once did a 1:37/1:35 neg split for a 3:12 many years ago but yours is even better!

I did have a bite and enjoyed a few beers in the Suarna but went back to the hotel eventually for a lie down.  I felt like an empty fuel tank at the end of the race, probably old age!  Found a nice curry house for the evening nosh though.

• Options
  • Options

Nice report, brixtonrunner. It was almost as running the race again. image

Personally I am going to start my preparations for Swiss Alpine K 78 in Davos soon. That will really be a challenge...

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Wow, all the best with that SS - looks a spectacular event.

BR.. lovely write up that, nice one.  I've entered my local York Marathon in October, I can either cadge a lift or get a bus to the start so a cheap day out for me!  Shuttle bus back into the city afterwards for a couple of beers then another bus home.  Did it last year and in fairness a very well organised event.  I saw from your photos that you were wearing a very swish matching yellow vest & shoes.  I wore a high-viz orange t-shirt so the Mrs could see me out on the course, the shoes were bright red however so more of an 'Opal Fruit' look image

Looking to next year I've seen rave reviews of the Valencia marathon so might be tempted in the autumn.  Not sure about next spring yet.

• Options
    I enjoyed the day enormously too. Cropped my previous mara time by 3 minutes. I've felt remarkably fresh, even went for a 5 mile decent run on Wednesday (is everyone else resting for the first week?).

I stayed in a room that was 3 minutes walk from the start line. I had a mini fridge, microwave, coffee machine..) from air BnB. There's lots of small independent shops nearby, plus a supermarket at Las Arenas (the old bull fighting rink, now a mall).

Thank you for sharing your blog BR, very inspiring! I'm just a fun runner.

And great to read everybody's post race comments.

I'm considering Frankfurt, Cologne or Valencia for my autumn marathon.

Happy running everyone!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Congrats on the PB Caramba, glad you enjoyed the experience too.  I did Frankfurt 2 years ago, worth doing if only for the disco & dancing girls finish.. about 4 mins in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6fme3RnWk