Options

Running for Boxing

Welcome to my blog. I hope this is allowed.

I've always trained with an instructor who told me that running for boxing or martial arts wasn't any good. So, instead, I always did circuits (Medicine Ball Slams, Burpees, Press Ups, Squats, etc, etc).

I've never had great conditioning though. As someone who trains 4-6 times a week, is in their mid 20s and has had a fair number of fights now, I'd like to think that I'd be getting into a rhythm, but I've always struggled beyond the third round.

The only time I didn't struggle was when I fought in Thailand after 6 months of training where I ran about 4-6 times a week for 30 minutes for an hour and hit pads in the evening.

So, after narrowly winning my last fight after (I won the first 2 rounds easily, but lost the 3rd round as I felt winded), I decided I'm going to at least give running a go for a year.

In December I ran 10 x one hour runs (per week: 3 times, 2 times, 3 times, 2 times). None of them fast, I just wanted to get a feel for it. I used Joel Jamieson's recommendations that were to build an aerobic base by running for about 1 hour at 140-150bpm. It turned out that this was about 8k for me at the beginning about about 10 to 10.5k for me by the 10th run.

Over time I'd like to progress my running to fast 5Ks. My boxing matches tend to be 3 to 5 rounds of 2 minutes. I think that if I could achieve a sub 20 minute 5k the volume and intensity wouldn't be too far away from a boxing match. I also like that to train for a 5k most people recommend doing intervals of 200m/400m/800m as well as slower recovery runs in addition to the 5k distance - this all seems useful for my boxing.

I did a test 5k the other day and I did it in around 25 minutes. I started slow, so feel I could probably do a bit better, but I do feel that 20 minutes will be pretty tough and I'm looking forward to the challenge of it.

Comments

• Options

Stats before we begin:
    Male
    1.78cm
    75kg
    28 years old

---

Today's run is my 11th run since I started at the beginning of December and was actually a little harder than normal, because it was really windy outside - it felt a bit as though I was running with a parachute on!

Results for 26/12/2015

I did 10.7k in 1 hour and 3 minutes.

5:52k per min. 184 strides per minute.
    Average Heart Rate was 153 (a bit high for my aerobic-base training) - without the wind probably would have been lower.

---

Although I say it felt 'harder' than usual, I'm rather amazed that I've gone from running 8k with a heart rate of 160 in 60 minutes to 10k with a heart rate of 153 in 60 minutes in such a short period of time. I guess these are 'newbie' gains, like you get with strength training, but I will take them!

I'm going to have a think about how much for aerobic base training I should do (thoughts and opinions welcome) and start researching good 5k training programs for once I reach them.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes ,running will certainly improve your endurance capacity, from which the higher levels of fitness can be reached.

Top runners are fit enough to run flat out for three minutes at a time with minimal rest in between.

This pattern of exertion is similar to that employed by boxers with the subtle difference of not having the close attentions of a third party intent of beating the shit out of them.

It all takes planning; which is good, so long as one remembers that everyone has a plan until they get a punch in the mouth.

🙂

• Options

You will notice massive improvements especially as you have some kind of fitness base and are putting the effort in,

I honestly think 800m reps would be a really good addition to allow you to get the HR up for 3 mins then a brief rest to try and get the heart used to it.

Slightly different but if you follow any British/World champs on Twitter you will notice a lot of them put the miles on the track (Derry Matthews/Scotty Cardle/Quigg/Smith bros/Fury etc)

Also Kell Brook is normally pretty quick for a chap who is probably 13-14st of muscle and does a lot of local 10ks 

• Options

Last night I was texting a friend and he recommended that I mix up the intensity once a week whilst I am building my base, just so that when I do start with intervals it isn't such a shock to the system. He suggested I do the following for today's run:

2500m at a brisk pace
    2000m at easy pace
    500m as fast as I could go
    Fast walk until heart rate down to 120bpm
    Run at a maintainable pace until my hour is up

I have to say that it was really quite tough, far more so than the easy runs I've been doing 2-3 times a week.

Results for 28/12/2015

I ran the first 5k in 24 minutes and 30 seconds
    I ran the 10k in 52 minutes and 42 seconds
    In the total 1 hour and 3 minutes I ran 11.89km

5:18k average pace.
    182 strides per minute.
    Average Heart Rate was 170bpm (ouch!)

---

Under 20 minute 5km feel a long way offimage

• Options
    Steven Thorpe2 wrote (see)

You will notice massive improvements especially as you have some kind of fitness base and are putting the effort in,

I honestly think 800m reps would be a really good addition to allow you to get the HR up for 3 mins then a brief rest to try and get the heart used to it.

Slightly different but if you follow any British/World champs on Twitter you will notice a lot of them put the miles on the track (Derry Matthews/Scotty Cardle/Quigg/Smith bros/Fury etc)

Also Kell Brook is normally pretty quick for a chap who is probably 13-14st of muscle and does a lot of local 10ks 

My fitness is OK, I've always leaned more towards the strength and power side of conditioning (I do a lot of Bench Pressing, Squatting and Deadlifting in addition to Crossfit-like circuits), but I really want to focus on running for a while and see how it helps my sport image

800m sounds like a good distance. Maybe mix up very short distances, 800m and 5k-10k distances. The 10k 2-3 times a week I'm doing is based on Joel Jamieson's writings where he recommends a cycle of aerobic training to build a base. Does anyone know how/when to start integrating these distances? 

As you say, Stephen: Froch, Calzaghe, Mayweather, Golovkin.... it's harder to think of boxers who don't run (Frampton is one of the few I know of)!

Just looked up Kell Brooks' chip time and it was 44 minutes. Something to aim for image

• Options

I think Brook is even quicker than that and the conditions were pretty terrible, i reckon he's nearer to 40

Yeah I spend quite a bit of time doing squats,bench, deadlift, chun up/dips etc as my main focus is obstacle racing

I run 4-5 times a week now with a mixture of 800m reps, long runs of 9 mile +, parkrun etc trying to mix it u.

• Options

Being new to running, I'm also a wimp, so rather than run in the rain I did weights yesterday (Squats, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Russian Twists & Kettlebell Arm Wrestles).

I ran intervals today, I wasn't too sure about 800m reps, they seem pretty tough for a beginner, so I thought what I'd do is spend some time doing shorter intervals and build up to 800m when I feel comfortable. A massive part of boxing is being able to recover quickly between rounds, so I thought that this kind of training would also work pretty well for developing that attribute.

What I decided to do was run a specific interval (400m, 200m or 100m) at about 180-190bpm and then rest until my heart rate dropped to 135bpm and run the next interval. I made sure that in the entire 40 minute session my heart rate never dropped below 130bpm (I walked / jogged slowly between sets).

The session consisted of: 10 minute warmup at 10kph, 4 x 400m, 4 x 200m, 6 x 100m, 5 minute cool down at 10kph.

I wouldn't say the runs were 100% effort, I think I could have perhaps run each one a bit longer and/or faster, but I'm trying to be careful that I don't push myself too hard too early on. I'm very new to this. I'd rather build up slowly and succeed at each step than push myself too hard and end up being unable to complete workouts or leave myself unable to recover.

I did the 400m at 16kph (4 times)
    I did the 200m at 17kph (4 times)
    I did the 100m at 18kph, 18.5kph, 19kph, 19.5kph and 20kph (6 times)

I was wearing a heart rate monitor. Here is the chart:

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Interval-Session-Dec30-1.jpg

Does anyone know how long it takes for your recovery times to begin dropping when doing interval training and whether this is the best method to go about it?

*Saving this here for future reference. Very useful for Treadmill pace calculations:
    https://www.myvitality.com/pace-conversion-chart

• Options

Recovery session today. After a 10 minute warmup I put my heart rate monitor on and went 120-140bpm for about 45 minutes.

• Options

Aerobic session today, I was really strict about staying under 150bpm.

Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes.
    Distance: 10.97km.
    Average BPM: 148bpm.
    Strides: 188 per minute.
    Pace: 5:55 min/km

I felt this run was very easy. I got home and immediately began a conversation with my partner and made lunch - so I'm presuming that I did manage to stay aerobic. As opposed to a boxing session or circuit class where I can't really communicate or function until I've had a shower and sit downimage 

• Options

Strength Training Today

Weighted Jumps - 5 x 5 (10-20%)
    Squat - 3 x 5 (80%)
    Bench - 3 x 5 (80%)
    Deadlift 3 x 5 & 1 x 1 (Max)
    Pull Ups 3 x 6 (very slow - BW)

• Options

04/01/2015 - Boxing Training (first day back)

15 Minutes warm up  (running, press ups, abs, etc)
    15 minutes drilling slips and rolls
    15 minutes Heavy Bag work
    15 minutes Sparring
    50 Ab Wheel Rollouts
    80 Red Band Pull Aparts

05/01/2015 - Aerobic work
    60 Minutes on treadmill
    Strict Heart Rate of 145-150bpm

• Options

Second Interval Session... the 600m are certainly the closest thing I've felt to a tough round sparring. They were pretty tough by the third!

1 mile warm up running at 10kph
    3 x 600m at 16kph (6 min mile speed)
    3 x 400m at 16kph (6 min mile speed)
    3 x 200m at 17kph (just under 6min mile speed)

Each rep I rested until my heart rate hit 130.
    Each set I rested until my heart rate hit 120.

Here is the heart chart:

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-08-at-21.43.04.png

• Options

1 mile warm up running at 10kph.

10 x 100m-150m Sprints (20kph). Fast Walk until 130bpm.

5 Minutes with heart rate at 110-120.

5 x 50m Hill Sprints (15 Incline at 15kph). Total Rest until 130bpm.

0.5 mile cool down at 10kph to 7.5kph and off.

The whole session including Warm Up  and Cool Down was about 45 minutes.

• Options

Tuesday
    Time:
     1 hour minutes.
    Distance: 10.3km.
    Average BPM: 148bpm.

---

Wednesday
    4 x 3 of Overhead Press (50% max)
    4 x 4 of Jump Squats (20% max)
    4 x 5 of Clap Press Ups (BW)
    4 x 4 of Mid-Thigh Clean Pull (50% max)

• Options

Thursday
    Boxing

Friday
    1 mile warm up (10.5kmph)
    4 x 600m (16kmph)
    1 mile cool down (10kmph)

• Options

Saturday
    Jump Squats: 3 x 5 (20kg)
    Bench Press: 3 x 5 (60kg, 70kg, 80kg)
    Deadlift: 4 x 3 (60kg, 80kg, 100kg, 120kg)

5 minute warm up
    10 x 30s Sprint
    Rest until bpm returned to 130

Here is my chart:

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-16-at-17.02.05.png

• Options

Sunday 17/01/2016 - Intervals

1 mile warmup @ 10kph
    3 x 600 @ 16kph
    3 x 400 @ 16kph
    3 x 200 @ 17kph, 18kph, 19kph
    3 x 100 @ 20kph

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-17-at-14.22.01.png

• Options

Tuesday - 19/01/2015

4 x 400m @ 17kph

Thursday - 21/01/2015

3 x 400m @ 17kph
    3 x 200m @ 18.5kph
    3 x 100m @ 20kph

Friday 22/01/2015

5km in 23 minutes and 15 seconds (started easy and ramped the speed up).

---

• Options

Tuesday - 26/01/2016

1km at 10kph (warmup)
    3 x 600m @ 17kph
    30 minutes aerobic (145-150bpm)
    3 x 400m @ 17kph

Those 3 x 600m @ 17kph were pretty awful... It's incredible how much harder they felt than the same distance at 16kph. That said, reflecting upon things, I remember when 400m @ 16kph was really tough, so it's nice to see some progress.

As a side note: I've not yet seen my bpm go above 187 (in one instance 188). Being 29, Shouldn't I be able to hit 191, or is it quite variable? 

• Options
    Everyones max is different. The old 220-age thing is often bobbins. Only way to know is to test.
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    Everyones max is different. The old 220-age thing is often bobbins. Only way to know is to test.

That's helpful, thank you. So, I ran until I was almost sick doing that last 600m interval at 17kph. Does that mean that the heart-rate shown  on my heart-rate monitor at the very end of that interval is likely to be my max (i.e. 100%)?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm new to running and energy systems.

• Options

Thursday - 28th January 2016

I feel quite good today. I'm able to see and feel some real progress. Not for a moment of my hour long run did I feel tired, rather I was holding myself back, and I generally felt very comfortable. In addition, this is the first time I've ran within my aerobic range and hit 11km in an hour. The only time I've done that before I had to really push myself  into anaerobic territory for periods of the run.

The key seems to be my ability to hold a higher pace at aerobic - which suggests that my heart is getting stronger and my ability to fight fatigue is improving too. 

Time: 1 hour and 0 minutes.
    Distance: 11.02km.
    Average BPM: 150bpm.
    Strides: 182 per minute.
    Pace: 5:26 min/km

• Options

Friday - 29th January 2016

5 x 4-5 minutes at Threshold (170-175bpm)

I didn't find this too difficult, but the pace was only 13-14kph, which I guess is pretty poor compared to a decent runner. That said, I'm told it is a useful way to train and so I've included it into my schedule once a week.

Note: Reason I put 4-5 minutes is because I'd set the treadmill to 14kph and it took about 30-60 seconds for my heart rate to reach the threshold zone.

• Options

Sunday - 31st January 2016

3 x 600m @ 17kph.
    3 x 400m @ 17kph.
    3 x 200m @ 19kph.
    3 x 100m @ 20kph.

12 weeks ago I hadn't even thought about running for years and today it feels as though it has become a part of my weekly routine and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with my progress. I wouldn't have believed you that I'd be able to do 400m at 17kph a few weeks back, let alone 600m at 17kph followed by 400m at 17ph.

Thanks to all that have offered advice so far. Feel like I'm on the right track image

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Run-2016-01-31.png

• Options

Resting heart rate at 43bpm.

That matches my lowest ever, which was way back in 2009 image

• Options

Today was probably the hardest day I've trained so far...

1 x 1600m @ 10kph (10 minute warmup)
    3 x 600m @ 18kph (2 minutes) -
    5-10 minutes aerobic (150bpm-120bpm)
    3 x 400m @ 18kph (1 minute 20 seconds)

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Blogtastic

Haha, thanks VDOT52. This blog has been incredibly motivating. Some of the last reps, for example, I've found myself thinking "I don't want to have to write on the Forum I have failed". Additionally, it's nice being able to see my progress and plan based on it. 

• Options

Thursday - 4th February 2016

1 hour - 150bpm average run. Around 10.8km.
    The wind was pretty bad today and meant I had to push a bit harder to run against it. It's a shame, because I think I'd have comfortably set a PR if it had been the same as last week.

Friday - 5th February 2016

10 Minutes @10.0kmph (warm up)
    5 minutes @13.0km/ph - then 1 minute rest @ 5kmph.
    5 minutes @13.2km/ph - then 1 minute rest @ 5kmph.
    5 minutes @13.4km/ph - then 1 minute rest @ 5kmph.
    5 minutes @13.6km/ph - then 1 minute rest @ 5kmph.
    5 minutes @13.8km/ph - then 1 minute rest @ 5kmph.
    5 minutes @14.0km/ph - move into cool down
    5 minutes @11.0km/ph (cool down)

I found this not too bad again, the last two were a fair amount harder, but as far as workouts go, the threshold training is about ten times more comfortable than intervals.

Potentially means I could do with increasing the speed, but as my heart-rate is at about 170-175ish, it seems I'd be pushing it by going much higher. This is around 85-90% of my max heart rate.

• Options

Sunday 7th February 2016

Fight in 6 days, so starting to wind down now...

1600m warm up (10kph).
    3 x 600m @ 18kph with rest until 130bpm.
    1600m cool down (10kph).

Have to say that the 600m felt MUCH more comfortable than they did last week... The last 600m interval last week I genuinely considered getting off the treadmill and my head was pounding for the last 200m as my heart rate hit 190bpm+ for the first time ever.

Today I felt I could have done another repetition of 600m or carried on a little longer - my heart rate also didn't go above 186bpm. That's quite a difference in a week.

The nice thing about 600m at 18kph is that they are exactly 2 minutes long (once you hit 18kph - I don't start counting the distance until I do this). This means that it matches the length of my boxing rounds perfectly.

For my next fight it would be good to push past that, maybe doing 19kph or 20kph for 2 minutes. I'm not sure how doable that is, but basically, going forward, my goals will start heading towards maintaining maximum speed for 2 minutes, now that I've reached my 600m at 18kph goal.