Options

Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Interesting way of training and it clearly works for you. Probably a good way of avoiding injuries also. Any specific target in mind for Abingdon?

• Options

It seems to be quite popular at the moment Tom though I came to it as a result of an accident and a propensity to break if I try to do any kind of speedwork. I'd like to go faster at Abo than London but that's it target wise. How about you?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to improve on my time I ran in Manchester -2:44:16-which was my first marathon. Sub 2:40 would be the 'A' target but might be a tad on the ambitious side this time. Speaking of speedwork, I was out at 4:30 this morning for my LT run. 11 miles with 6 for the tempo section. Splits for the LT miles: 5:51, 5:52, 5:51, 5:53, 5:54 and 5:56. Pleased with consistency and pace not bad having done no speedwork for 3 weeks.

• Options

Not sure lmh....full bloods came back fine....just no strength or power in legs and always knackered.....had November and December easy as usual and then tried picking up the training in January and couldn't...just the odd session easy here and there.... I n the last 9 months in total have done less than as normal months training

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Those are some seriously impressive splits, Tom! Looking at some of the targets on this thread I feel like the slow guy going for 3:30!

Training has being going well so far, did a long run of 14 miles last Sunday, had a friend come with me on the bike and we chatted the whole way round, felt great at the end yet still did it in 2 hours which works out to about 35 seconds a mile slower than race pace - maybe my race pace target is little unambitious because that was definitely 'conversational pace'.

Away with work this week but been very disciplined in getting up early and going for the midweek runs, something I didn't manage to do last year! Going on holiday for 2 weeks next week, decided to take running stuff with me and try to go running every other morning, but without sticking rigidly to my plan. I started my 18 week plan 20 weeks before so I have time to make up the two weeks, hopefully I won't lose too much fitness in that time though!

• Options

That doesn't sound good seren. Hope that you soon feel back to normal.

Nader - we all had to start somewhere. I remember desperately wanting to finish in less than 4.30 for my first (and at that time I was sure, only, marathon) which also happened to be Abingdon and being stoked to come in at 4.28. It does sound as though you may be adjusting your target nearer to race day though.

That's great commitment Tom.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Nader-Glad the training is going well. Sounds like that target may well be a little on the soft side. Just ticking over whilst on holiday should be fine and doubt you will loose any fitness.

LMH- I do all of my running on weekdays very early so that I can fit it in with family/work commitments. I actually really enjoy running at that time of day as the roads are so quiet. Not so good in winter as I have to wear a headtorch for the many unlit roads that I run on.

You have made huge improvements since that first Abingdon. Based on the mileage you put in, those gains look set to continue.

• Options

It was a long time ago Tom - and I'm not sure I can keep getting older and faster, though I'm still tryingimage

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Just back from first 20 miler of the campaign. Feels good to have that one in the bag. 6:32 m/m avg. pace felt comfortable enough. 72 miles for the first week proper of marathon training.....already getting quite excited at the prospect!

How's everyone else getting on?

Very long run today for you LMH?

• Options

Just 24 today Tom - tomorrow is hopefully going to be VLSR day and then I shall cutback a bit as I've entered a 36 mile ultra on the 6th August. That's a very fast LSR pace!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Blimey, Just the 24!!  Dare I ask how long tomorrow? Then again you are an ultra runner. Do you drink/eat much whilst on the run?

• Options

I had a couple of mouthfuls of water today, will probably take a protein bar or something to nibble on in case tomorrow but generally unless it's really hot I don't bother much with anything for runs up to about 25 miles if I'm just running easy. I have breakfast before I run though. Aiming for 30 tomorrow but ultimately will play it be ear.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Wow that is a long way! Massive respect...don't know how you do it. Marathon running must seem like a doddle to you!image

I felt like I needed something today and I only ran 20. Definitely glad I had some porridge beforehand though.

• Options

I've just got used to it gradually. I'v never been able to take as much on board as 'they' say you 'should' even when I was doing long distance tri I'd manage on very few calories, less than 1000 through the day. When I first started running I bought into all the gels and stuff then I started to carry them but not take them unless I felt that I needed them and found that actually I rarely needed anything in training runs. I did take two gels in London this year but the second was just because I sort of thought I should and I'd carried it all the way round image A marathon used to mean 5 gels. In my last ultra (36.5 miles) I had 500ml of flat coke and two gels. I suspect you are running at a higher intensity though which will make a difference.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I took a couple of gels in Manchester and don't really know how much good they did. Never drunk anything in training or racing which I might need to address. I'm also trying to slow my long runs down....find this difficult as I tend to get into a nice rythm/pace and then maintain it or push on if it's a progressive run (as many are in P&D). Still learning, quite new to me, all good fun.image

• Options

I think that a bit of sugar gives you a mental lift as much as anything - convinces the old central governor that you're not out to try to destroy it. A good sign for me that I need some fuel is if I start to get miserable. Took water and food for today's VLSR, it was a warm one but I still only drank 350ml and ate about 100 calories. Came home with a faster average pace than yesterday's 24 though and a slight negative split. A nice run. Will have to taper now - which I don't enjoy at all.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Well done LMH, I am very impressed with that effort in this heat....image

just a 6 mile recovery jog for me this morning. Going to get out very early next few days in the coolest conditions possible. Different kind of training altogether for an Autumn Marathon.

• Options

It sure is Tom - but I have to admit I prefer it. Far better to train through the heat and have a cool day for the race.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Already very warm when I set out at 4:30 for my 15 mile MLR. Nice steady pace, (6:19 m/m avg.) felt good. Going to be very hot later so glad I have got it done already.

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

8 miles done this morning on the last day of my business trip - Tarragona is really very hilly compared to Milton Keynes... at least it's a bit of hill training!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Nice 8 hilly miles Nader.

You been out last couple of days LMH? Presumably short and easy after those back to back VLSRs?

Had a very uncomfortable night so was tired when setting out at 4:45 this morning and it was incredibly humid and already very warm. As a result my 18 miles with 10 @ MP was not pretty. Really struggled to hit my paces in MP section and 6:15s felt very tough but just about managed to hang on to them. Has wiped me out though...need to rehydrate!

• Options

Speed training by stealth Nader - it will stand you in good stead.

Just ten miles yesterday and today for me Tom, slower than usual but that will be a combination of the 30 miler and the heat so I'm fine with it. You did well to hit your MP in the heat even at that time but I would say that if you're doing 10 at 6.15s now your marathon pace should be faster than that come October.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Yes, current MP is 6:16 from Manchester but goal MP for Abingdon will be 6:05 if I want sub 2:40. Hopefully will be a bit cooler then! Actually it's much cooler now than it was earlier. Maybe the mini heatwave is over.

Is it taper time for your ultra soon?

• Options

It's sort of taper time now really, will probably do just over 100 miles this week then cutback to no more than 75 (and maybe less) next week then even less than that the week before.

• Options

Serious speed already Tom, I agree, if you are steady around 6.15 to 6.20, then your MP might be sub 6.00 come October.

Got out at 7.30am this morning, the thermometer on the garden fence said 32 degrees, gulp!. Oh well, a steady 10 miles at 8.50av was therefore more than OK for me. 30min tempo run yesterday in the heat. It will be club efforts tomorrow night, when hopefully it should be cooler.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Excellent work in the heat AC. Much cooler/more pleasant conditions now so things should feel easier.

Hope the tapering is going well LMH-madness beginning to set in yet or still a bit early for that?

11 with 5 @ LT in nice cool conditions this morning. Tempo section came out at 5:50 m/m avg for the reps which was pleasing enough and quite enjoyable.

• Options

Sounds as though you're putting in some quality sessions AC.

I'll still be over 100 miles this week Tom so it will be next week the madness sets in, especially if work is as quiet as it looks as though it's going to be.

• Options

Tom, very good tempo run, I can just about manage 800m reps at that pace. LMH, good luck with the tapering next week, I am sure it will be worth it.

17 miles this morning (8.39av) for me, still very warm when not in the shade. With my easy 5 or 6 tomorrow, this should just tip it over 60 for the week.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Tapering going ok LMH?

Had an interesting 20 miler on Saturday on no breakfast/fuel. Not a particularly pleasant experience so lesson learnt.

Good quality session this morning. 11 miles with 6 @ LT. Mile splits in the tempo section: 5:37, 5:39, 5:37, 5:38, 5:40, 5:34. Felt pretty good.

• Options

I can only dream of mile splits beginning with a 5 Tom - nice running. Taper not too bad so far, did 108 miles last week but am only on 36 so far this and should keep it down to low 70's. Legs are starting to get their bounce back after a few slow runs after the 30 miler which is good.