Options

Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

Tom your training seems to be going very well so far - nice one!! You seem to be doing a lot of speed/LT work - what plan are you following?

P&D week 6 for me (55-70) and this week is a "recovery week" droping down to 55miles for the week. Had a rest day yesterday and the plan suggests 8 miles with some strides, but swapping the strides for a local 5K race. Been eating terribly the last couple of weeks, so not expecting what I did 4 weeks a go which was 17:37 - but will be happy with anything around the 18min mark!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

John-I'm following P&D (70-85) but have had to shuffle some sessions around due to going away last weelend and upcomimg 2 week holiday to Sardinia. I was supposed to have a recovery week this week but have switched it to when we are on holiday next week hence the close proximity of the LT sessions.

Sounds like the plan is working well for you despite the diet (mine may well suffer when away alsoimage). Good luck in the 5k.

• Options
    GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

Tom, I'm hoping to do Boston next year and plan on following the 70-85! Looking forward to double days in the cold and fet of December-January!

Waiting on official result, but stopped watch on 17:37 last night, which if right would equal current 5K PB. Please if not slightly annoyed as felt I was taking it (relatively) easy with it being a drop down week.. and eating terribly... ahh well, these things happen some times!

• Options

It's usually when you're least expecting it John.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

John-I don't do doubles as they impact on time with work/family so when the plan gives 10 miles split into 6 am and 4 pm I just do the 10 straight (usually very early amimage). Well done on the 5k PB. You must be in great shape particularly if you were taking it easy.image

Last bit of speedwork for a while this morning. Ran a progressive half marathon (plan said 13 miles) starting with a 6:25 and finishing with a 5:45 for a time of 1:19:31. Felt strong and comfortable at the pace.

• Options
    GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

Sub1:20HM before 9am is pretty cool!! Nice one!!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed my 23 miler this morning. Now off to Gatwick to catch a flight to Sardinia for 10 day holiday. Glad I have a cut back week ahead looking at the forecast temperature-incredibly hot so will be taking it easy.

Hope all the training goes well for everyone.

Good luck in your Ultra next week LMH-I'm sure you will smash it! Enjoy
  • Options

Thanks Tom - have a nice holiday and do me a favour? Whilst you're out and about in Sardinia would you check the menus for gluten free offerings? I've been fancying a holiday there but as I'm wheat intolerant and don't eat meat eating can be stressful and although I've been assured that Italy is good for gf I'd appreciate some first hand information.

• Options
    GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

The BBC Mo Farah program last night definately made it easier avoiding the fridge and any late night snack! Also made this mornings 13 miles even more fun than usual! Great program, very inspiring!!

• Options

I've recorded it - looking forward to watching it.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Got back from Sardinia late last night. We had an amazing holiday-Sardinia is a beautiful island! Managed to get out early every morning to beat the heat and covered just over 100 miles in the 10 days there. Most of the running was along the coastal road of the southern tip of the island whilst the sun was rising above the sea-wonderful scenery and a good way to start each day before the large amounts of fantastic local food/wine/beer were consumed!

Was a bit nippy out on my 14 miler back home this morning. Took a couple of miles to warm up but then felt very easy for the pace (6:10s) for the remaining part of the run so the break obviously did me some good!

Hope all training and racing has gone well for everyone.

LMH- How did the Ultra go? No doubt you smashed it.  Plenty of GF offerings avaliable so you would be well catered for if you do choose to visit Sardinia. I couldn't recommend it enough....image

• Options

Welcome back to the height of the British summer Tom! Thanks for the gf info. The ultra went really well. I had a lovely day out and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Seren - how did the Lakeland 50 go? 

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear the ultra went really well LMH. What's next? Any other races planned before Abingdon?

Not great weather back here but at least it was cool and still for my 22 miler this morning which meant I could run it at a steady and consistent pace (6:23 m/m avg.) feeling good.

How's everyone getting on? Hope people are enjoying the training and remaining injury free!

• Options

some good training going on...

The lakeland went really well.instead of walking it i felt good and we really enjoyed the race and took over an hour of my previous best time....strange as we hadnt done any training........but the lack of training showed as I couldnt walk properly until the Thursday......

But started my run training now........back running 4 days a week.ran my fastest parkrun this year yesterday.. ( still a lot slower than my PB)... and today managed my first 10 miler so pleased that I'm getting back out there slowly...

• Options

after next week I will increase up to 5 runs a week

• Options

That's great seren.

Just 20 for me this morning, wasn't sure whether the legs would be up to it a week after the ultra or if I'd run out of energy but it was fine. Nice morning for it.

• Options

week 2 went well with mileage close to 30 miles and long run up to 13...all slow apart from parkrun...

So this week adding in  the extra run to make 5 runs and the long one hopefully 16..good to be getting into a routine again after so long...even if it is all really slow...image

Hope everyone else's training is going well

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Been a while since I posted! Got out for a few short runs whilst I was on holiday to keep myself ticking over. First long run after returning was a bit of a struggle and I had to walk bits of the last couple of miles, but have just got in two really good weeks of 40 miles each with a longest run of 17 miles. Stepping up to a 19 mile long run this weekend then 20 the weekend after. Just ordered myself a new pair of shoes to get me through the last couple of months image

• Options

I'm looking for new shoes..I always look for bargains but at the moment only finding my size in pink.....need to keep looking

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

I struggled a bit on the shoes, my last three pairs of shoes were Asics Kayanos, (a 20, and two 21s), though now the new Kayano 22 I simply could not find anywhere in my size for less than £145 which I really can't justify - I've never paid more than £100 before. Couldn't find any old 21s either. In the end I decided to get a pair of Asics GT2000 v4, which from reading reviews is similar in terms of support and cushioning, which I found for £70. Should get them today or tomorrow - bit of a gamble, but really hoping I get on with them okay and I don't end up having to buy an expensive pair of Kayanos after all!

• Options

managed all 4 parkruns this month as my speed work..

Really chuffed that I have managed 3 season PB's in the last 3 runs......gone down from 28:34 to 26:31 then 26:20 to 25:42 today.

Wont be long hopefully until I am back under 25 minutes......If I manage my 16 miler tomorrow this weeks mileage will be over 35 miles........

On the comeback trail  image

• Options

That's good to hear seren - ae you feeling better now?

• Options

how do you do 4 parkruns seren? just visit them on your own? Magic progress on return to form, nothing better than a comeback buzz. I was slow on my parkrun this morning 25 on the nose against a 23:39 pb.

Long run tomorrow. Can't decide which shoes am gong to wear. Wore a brand new pair of adidas duramo 7 (terrible colours but quite comfortable and inexpensive) this morning but may be a risk to wear them out for a long run. Hoping they'll be my marathon shoe though. I ran my first marathon in adidas you see.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to run Abingdon in a pair of Nike Lunar Tempo that I picked up in the outlet store.

Abingdon training started in earnest this week. Have spent the majority of the year focusing on longer off-road stuff, so an interval and marathon paced session was a bit of a shock to the system.
  • Options

LMH... Its strange.still feeling toired an my legs are just heavy all the time.....so going to carry on  trying to run myself fit..

first week of 5 run finished....37 miles with a long run of 16 this morning which was a struggle to be honest.....

I have the roman road run next saturday ... should be interesting..

• Options

That's a pain seren - I take it you've had all the usual blood tests etc and nothing has shown up? You sound like I feel when my iron is low. What's the roman road run?

You'll need to try them out on a long run if you're going to do Abo in them LS image

• Options

yeah, went for my long run of about 35k last night. Shoes were great, no blisters or bruised toenails, delighted.

Not sure exactly how far I  went because my phone crashed after 21.5 k and when I rebooted, the ap picked up the crashed session and continued recording time but didn't record the  GPS so it looks like I did 21.5 in 3:50. I'll need to go on mapmyrun later and work  out the missing distance.

Currently preparing myself to run Nottingham sub 4 hopefully on 25 September which I am on track for I think then at Abingdon go a bit faster.

• Options

Roman road is a 16 mile run from Brecon to methyr tydvil and goes over the Gap road over the beacons.....

first part on tarmac,.. then the difficult offroad part over the Gap and then the last part back on tarmac 

• Options

That sounds fun seren.

I thought about Nottingham LS as I'm Derby based but decided it was too expensive as a training run. Hope you have a good one there.

• Options
    It is expensive isn't it. Won't be doing it next year but on my doorstep I could not refuse even though it is in the run up to Abingdon.