• Options
    Morning,

What: 9M easy pm

Why: rec day

Last hard: Sat

Last rest: 17 days

Looks cold out!
  • Options
    That's the thing about holidays Br, they always have to end!

What: 4m done, very tentatively to test hip. Seems to be ok, slight stiffness going downhill.

Why: first run since I had sharp pain and bruising to left hip last Wednesday.

hope everybody is recovering well after their exploits over the weekend.
  • Options
    I kept my gloves on for the whole run BT so it must be cold!
  • Options
    Morning, bitterly cold with horizontal rain, sleet and snow on the North East coast this morning.

What: 8m at midday and 9m tonight

Why: Make up for yesterdays rest

Last rest: See above

Last hard: Last Tuesday

Have a goodly day everyone.
  • Options
    Morning

Thank you to Barbara,Hilly,Monique and all others for best wishes

I am shocked Barbara you kept your gloves on:-)!! but glad to see you back out there running.

Monique-I would gladly swap clubs and relocate as you are so friendly all of the top lady athletes at my club are not friendly and you makes you feel not good enough!!! the guys are so different they could not be more supportive and friendly!!!!

Rest day -still not right but at least heart rate is getting back to normal and asthma feels a bit better and I slept for most of yesterday!!!

Have a great day out there and Happy running

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning

What: Recovery day - no running
    Why: Rest
    Last hard: Yesterday

We've had a sprinkling of snow in the night.
    And it is cold
  • Options
    Morning All,

WOW, some fantastic performances this weekend, CONGRATS to all concerned.

What: nowt
    Why: step-back week
    Last hard run: final 20 mins yesterday were a bit tough
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good morning.

WP-glad you're feeling better. Sod the fast ladies of your club-I bet they don't have your grit!:o)

Barbara-glad your hip felt ok on your run and confession time I wore gloves for full 20 miles yesterday and 3/4 length tights!

Back to work for me today too:o((

what:3 miles recovery run
    why:don't want to overdo things and I did 51 miles last week, biggest mileage for a while. Also haven't got time for much else and am having to miss circuits tonight:o(

Have a good day and see you later!
  • Options
    Hi,

What : 6 miles recovery run, done.
    Why : Easing into last big week before Reading

Last hard : Sunday
    Last rest : saturday

Getting good at this early morning lark - out on road at 5:50 today!

See ya ...
  • Options
    Morning all!

Wow, some fab racing over the weekend - truly amazing grit and determiniation.

Well, didn´t run yesterday as I had essay crisis , and therefore failed to do a 50mile week ... just! I must try harder this week! I did manage a couple of hours of snowboarding though, but conditions were dreadful - high winds, ice and rocks. Good to be out, though! While we were taking a lunchbreak the slopes closed because of the weather - not surprising, as there were snowboards and roofracks flying through the air in the carpark. very exciting!

What: 8 miles easy
    Why: Mileage building, recovery and stuff
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sort of yesterday

Thanks for all your comments regarding my epic Saturday run. Have to ´fess up, I failed to look at the thermometer outside our kitchen window before I went for my run .. assumed it was around freezing and so really wasn´t dressed for three hours running at -7 (wind chill sould have made it around -15, I think). All I had on top was a thin thermal, windproof jacket, thinny gloves, Buff and fleece headband. The only remotely sensible thing I was wearing was thermal, windproof, waterproof Newline running tights.

Hmm, and I give other people grief for wearing inappropriate clothing in mountain environments ...

• Options
    Thats about what I wear for -1temps!(IF I venture out!!)

What: 4miles hard slog up lots of hills

Why: quality short run

Last hard: Sat

Last rest: Sun

Have a nice day everyone
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o)))

Well - I completed the first week of a Proper Grown-up Training Plan!!!

What: 30 minutes steady
    Why: I have no idea, but following the plan last week lost me two pounds so I'm not asking questions.
    Last hard: yesterday's 60 mins coz it was mostly woods and fields and hills
    Last rest: Saturday

Week two - bring it on!
  • Options
    Well done JJ!!!

:(

Still on beginners plan!!! (sob!!!)

What: Rest day
    Why: Body finally let me do two miles non stop yesterday, only taken two months
    Last Hard: Well, yesterday, hardest since Christmas.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all, some awesome performances over the weekend, as always.

LizzyB, I think I wore more than that yesterday and I don't live in Iceland!

What: Nothing - rest day.
    Why: For the first time, after yesterday's long run (17 miles) I had my doubts about whether I'll get round the full 26.2. It was probably my worst run ever, and I'm not totally sure why. I probably didn't leave enough time between breakfast and my run (about an hour and a quarter), and consequently battled with a severe stitch for almost the entire run. Every time I got it under control, it took just a couple of sips of water to set it off again. By the end of the run my stomach felt oddly full and I felt a bit sick, although all I had was a few jelly babies en route to give me some much-needed energy in the latter stages. I may have been a little dehydrated as I was busy on Saturday and was conscious of not drinking much during the day, although I did try to redress this during the evening - too late? I'm almost scared to think about next week's 18-miler, and am worried that I'll have built a psychological barrier by then. I could barely move by the time I finished the run (also probably started out too hard) and felt like death for most of the day afterwards. Admittedly weather conditions didn't help - howling, icy wind in my face most of the time, horizontal sleety rain ... but feel a bit demoralised today.
    Last hard: Need I say?
    Last rest: Saturday.

Hope others who are marathon training had a more successful time of it yesterday.
  • Options
    Hi All

First day back at work since the arrival of baby DD, feel absolutely exhausted! Good practice for the feeling at the end of Two Oceans in April?

What: 8 miles with training partners this evening

Why: Its what we do on a Monday

Last Hard: Friday

Last Rest: Tuesday

Congrats to all whom had such good performances over the weekend. This thread is so often the inspiration to carry on... & on.... & on!

• Options
    Morning.

What: am: 1600m swim, weights programme, pm: 3 miles recovery run

Why: Tri prepping and racing on friday!

Last Hard: Thursday

Last Long: Fridays 23 miles

Last Rest: Yesterday

Have a good day
  • Options
    >>>Sob!! I'll nevver get past 5 miles!!! Sob!!! Shameless self pity!!!<<<<
  • Options
    whoops.....

Last Hard: Friday

Last Long: Saturdays 23 miler

Getting me days mixed up now!!!
  • Options
    Morning,
    Well done racers at weekend. National xc sounded fun (how can people moan about a hilly xc?)

What: Hard 60/70mins with club.
    Why: Legs now recovered and ready to do some hard marathon training.

• Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Well done Minks, now you've done it and finsihed a run in difficult circumstances you will be ready for more difficult runs ahead. I am sure a large part of marathon trianing is preparing your mind as well as your body. You've banked a goodly sum over the weekend!

5.5m recovery run done.

Last week 61.2m (sun-sat)
    Last rest 9 days
  • Options
    Morning all,

Minks, keep your head up and I am sure you will get over this particularly bad session.

What: 7.65 miles <70% WHR
    Why: Aid recovery from yesterday's long run - only 12 miles but long enough for me
    Last hard: Friday
    Last Rest: Thursday

Hope everyone has a good day!!
  • Options
    Minks - I had a 16 miler just like the horror of a run you described, but the week after, in better weather conditions and paying more attention to the issues of hydration and nutrition that you have identified - I did an 18 miler in total comfort, and enjoyed it.

Don't extrapolate from one bad run - congratulate yourself for covering the miles in difficult conditions and start planning the next one !

3 mile recovery run for me today after yesterday's windblown efforts.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Yet another cold day out there - hope the milder air arrives soon.

Today: 6 or 7 miles easy
    Why: recovery day
    Last hard: tempo intervals yesterday

Minks, you'll be fine. I remember when I first did 17 miles, I hit the wall really badly and got home on sheer will power. Going through this stuff in training means it shouldn't happen on the big day!
  • Options
    Morning all,

still cold out, but I'll take cold and clear over warm and wet any time :)

What: am 5m easy, pm 5m steady
    Why: all I have time for, plus am supposed to be on an easyish week
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 2 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Great to see so many sterling training efforts.

Rest today, recovering from yesterday's 22 miler which was hard.

Have a good one
  • Options
    Morning all

What: rest, rest, rest!!

Why: absolutely cream-crackered after marathon training camp at the weekend. Did 2 sessions on saturday (easy 2m and threshold session) and a long(ish) run yesterday (wimped out after 50mins). It was good, although I was one of the slowest there. But then there were some people on the camp with times like 2:50 for a marathon!! Learnt a lot though and overall it was a good experience.

Last rest: <sob, I can't remember>...actually it was Friday

Last hard: yesterday
  • Options
    Morning All

First time I have done a morning run on a week day and i really enjoyed it.

What: 4 Miles Steady
    Why: Only had time for 4 miles before work.

Last Hard: Yesterday

Good luck everyone.

LL
  • Options
    Hello all

Back after a week away and a quick glance at the forum shows that racing & training remain as prominent as ever. some partiuclarly nutty/gritty/curious performances noted over the w/e: the National X/C entrants, popsiders 20m prep for a HM, another good run form NE, Wardi's pb, Gareth's continued silent investigation of Valencia, Monique: 30miles, a X/C and being bounced for exotic dancing. Minks and WP, for perseverance, LizzyB for lunacy......well done all.

So after a week skiing and a Saturday spent driving across France I leapt out of bed on Sunday morning with HM pb firmly in my sights. Mcmillan calculator said 1:32 odd at 7:03/mile based on 10k 2 weeks ago. Thought I'd aim for 1:35 after my break. A stiff x/wind beckoned at skidrow-on-sea as we line dup in morning sunshine. Off we go, only 13 secs to cross the line and a lot of runners too far forward. Feel a bit rusty at first and put this down to lack of running as we go through mile 1 in 7:12. Push on a bit for mile 2 but suddenly everything starts to feel heavy - mile 3 reached in 21:20 but I know this won't be my day. Make the first 180 turn and get hit by the wind. turn to converstaion for the next 3 miles to take mind off things as I'm running stride for stride with a lady called Dee and we're both targetting 1:35. At about 5 1/2 I'm slowing and say goodbye, passing 6 miles in 42:50. spend most of mile 7 wondering whether to jack it all in and get in the car which is parked by the 7 mile marker (50mins). But don't, start the gentle hill up for mile 8 and 9, but I'm slowing, rapidly. Feel like the leaden legged lobster in chains as I struggle through to mile 10 in 73:20. Now I'm more than 30 secs off target pace, and it gets worse. Everyone's passing me now as mile 12 sinks to an 8:06/mile downhill!. A strange zombie trundles over the last 1.1miles to finish in 1:37:20 ish. I can hardly walk, and have never ached so much after a race.

What can I say? suppose yippee for getting a pb by 3:30. But frankly I was so poor on the day I feel I missed out by 5mins or so, I know I should be able to do so much better. What went wrong? Can I really put it ALL down to an inappropriate preparation over the past week, or am I just not cut out for HM's? back to the training drawing board.

Sorry for the whinge

Oh, congrats to Dee, who I chanced on whilst packing up by the car. She got a pb in 1:34 odd and was ecstatic.

• Options
    Morning, runny people.

Dunno.
    Long run Saturday, rest yesterday, club tomorrow, so it ought to be something not too strenuous today, but more strenuous than sitting in front of the telly. Hmmmm....
    I'll get back to you.

Have fun.