Options

Monday 23rd February

Comments

• Options
    Hi!

what: easy run.

Happy running!
  • Options
    sfh legs....comiserations but congratulations too! You still did get your pb when feeling like that (some days, I find I just feel like a big rock. Not made to run) so imagine how you'll fly when everything goes for you.

Nicky - you said you've just run 2 mile for the first time, none stop. I remember the day I managed that. Trust me, it just gets better and better from here on out :)

What: Interval work on tready, plus gen. cardio and weights. Oh, and 2 mile jog to the gym
    Why: Cos I feel like it (and need to start HM training soon)
    Last hard: Yesterday (My alveoli froze and my legs went purple. Wearing shorts isn't healthy)
    Last rest: Friday
    Have a good day everyone!!
  • Options
    sfh legs, CONGRATS, that's a huge chunk to take off your PB, but I understand how you feel. A great run nevertheless.

Speedie, forgot to answer your question from yesterday, I'm thinking something in the 2:4? range, but exact goal to be decided on basis of next few weeks training and racing. IMHO you'll be well under the 3hr mark.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the messages of support - good to hear that others have had 'bad run' experiences and have been fine the next time out. Oddly, until reading Venom's post, I didn't even associate the way I was feeling yesterday with 'hitting the wall'. For some reason I thought that didn't happen until I'd reached higher mileage - but I guess 17 miles IS fairly high mileage!

Now I've been there, I hope I don't ever go there again. But aside from leaving more time between breakfast and running, and taking the pace a little easier at the outset, I'm not sure I could have done much differently ... a bit worrying!
  • Options
    What: Short bike ride
    Why : Being sensible and letting my legs get a rest.

SFHLegs, I know what you mean about feeling you should be able to do better - my 10k time predicts a half time about 5 minutes better than my pb. Still a pb is a pb - and a pb by several minutes is a good run.
  • Options
    Message for Nicky2k

You hang in there. You will get further and further believe me. This time last year I couldn't run for 1 minute let alone 1 mile! So if I can hang in there then so can you. AND you are following a plan which is great - well done. You can do it!

Me - well debating running at all as have got ANOTHER cold - arrghh. Also a bit knackered as did more milage last week than I have ever done before - 29 miles. Don't expect to keep that up!

So - due to sunshine will probably do 4 miles with the dog, cause it gets him walked too!

Why - cause I love it of course.

Scoobs
  • Options
    Morning all

SFH: well done- on the PB and well done on just keeping going! In my previous running life (9 yrs ago) I set off on my first HM aiming for 1:24 based on other performances and after a good first 5 miles, died a death coming home 11 mins behind schedule and in agony. It put me off so much that I gave up running for 8 years! Don't do what I did- stick at it and enjoy the next one :o)

What: 6 miles easy tonight
    Why: recovery from yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 7 days

Seem to have recovered from last night's 10K induced exhaustion which is a good sign. Planning a big (50+) week this week so need to make sure I get out out tonight!
  • Options
    Minks, I had a run like that a fortnight ago, but that was struggling to run for 10 miles! Then a week later and yesterday the same run was fine.

Don't underestimate how the weather might affect you too. I find that running into a head-wind is the most demoralising, energy-sapping thing in the world, and I really have to struggle to keep going.

I got the most wonderful messages of support from the forum, I'll paraphrase for you: sounds like you did 17 miles resistance training: respect!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kath - the messages of encouragement I've had today have made me feel much more positive about the whole experience. And you're right - the weather probably played a big part. The wind appeared to be against me almost the entire time - even (oddly) when I was coming back on myself so technically should have been running 'with' it. I swear it deliberately changed direction just to spite me! I've never felt like crying mid-run before, but yesterday I had to really fight with myself not to start blubbing!

• Options
    How does the wind do that?! I had the same thing. I run along the Thames for my mid-week runs, and the wind is invariably in my face, but then I take a road away from the river, through 90 degrees, and it's *still* in my face!
  • Options
    Morning eveyone...just!
    Short run of 14mins 16secs this morning, recovering from a serious hamstring injury which has seen me barely able to run a step since the new year.
    I'll continue building up very slowly, increasing the distance slightly every alternate day.
    Very slight tightening in hamstring following today's run.
    Happy runnings everyone.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Kath, even when I turned 180 degrees, it STILL seemed to be in my face! And the final 4 miles of my run were all uphill too :-(
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

What: rest day, sports massage tonight
    Why: Did another 3 hour run on Saturday and my legs need a rest
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    'Ello!

Nicky2k - well done on your continuous 2m, who cares how long it took you to reach that milestone. Keep going with the slow steady approach, I'm sure it gives better results in the long term.

What: nowt
    Why: it's Monday
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Saturday

Happy running
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Great racing over the weekend - I've been enjoying Saturday and Sunday's threads. Especially impressed with people's commitment - I tend to use races as a good excuse for days off, but BR did the National, then a 2 hr recovery run, and Popsider did 20m then a 1/2m! Awesome.

I had a good weekend - rested on Saturday, then on Sunday did a 22.5 mile LSD (longest ever training run) in 2:37. Felt good, although, like Kath, I felt like I was constantly running into the wind. Felt unusually strong at the end of the run; have no idea why, but I'm not complaining! Maybe all this mileage is starting to work!

What: 7m slow
    Why: recovery run

Last hard: yesterday
  • Options
    Hi all,

What: Total rest
    Why: Rest day
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Monday

Managed to get two runs in on the weekend despite going away so am still on track with my marathon training.

Happy training!
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

What: 6 miles done, 9 later
    Why: aerobic base building
    Last hard: 30th Nov

Have a good one
  • Options
    Either resting today or getting the kettlebell out for a workout.

Dead hard LSD yesterday, don't have another for a fortnight!
  • Options
    Minks - the last time I had a problem-free buildup to a marathon, I bombed badly in the event itself. The next time I had a couple of really crap runs like the one you describe - and the event went fine. You're gonna have a bad one once in a while, so best to get it over and done with in training, not on the big day! Stick with it - you'll be allright on the night.

What - half the day tramping round the Natural History Museum with Muttley Jnr.
    Why - cross training (it does count, doesn't it?)

Best regards to all, hope it goes well (yes you too, Minks!)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cheers Muttley! After everyone's comments today I do feel more positive that it was just bad luck and due to a few contributory factors, so I'll chalk it up to experience and be grateful that it was just a training run and not the race! Plenty of time to get the food/running timing sorted out and try to curb my tendency to start my long runs too quickly.
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: Gentle 10km in discomfort as right leg continues to plague me. In my attempts to spend all my money on Turkish doctors think next step will be to try and find way of getting an MRI scan this week.

Simon
  • Options
    Minkin - hang in there! One bad run does not make a bad marathon (nor does one good run guarantee a good marathon...). You know what went wrong, so next time, eat properly beforehand, hydrate well and, importantly, go into the run *knowing* that you can do it. Which you can and you will.

I ate immeditely before my long run on Saturday (porridge, yum) but set off really slowly - I got a bit of a stitch when I was battling against the wind tho', but as long as I stay below about 130 on my HRM I can eat and run without a problem.

Well, today did 7.5 miles in a howling gale, blowing snow and off course I went off road and remote ... running down a hill, I saw what I knew was a huge patch of ice ... going to0 fast to stop and so before I hit the ice I accurately predicted what would happen ....

... currently have my arm resting on an icepack!

Monique - your run sounds like such fun, I like the idea of a cake stop halfway through as well.
  • Options
    Reasonable 8 mile run for me in 53:03. Legs felt heavy and tired. The wind was feeling very cold.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Mixed bag today I see. For those having/had tough ones - just remember they are not always like that :o)

Alarms rang this morning when I realised today was the day I was due to play squash for the first time since late last year... thankfully no courts available, so postponed. I need the rest.

Back pounding the streets tomorrow, enjoy your evenings all

Andy
  • Options
    Hello everyone, I am debating on popping out for a 3 mile recovery run, I have a very tender toe and know the nail will be off before long so am putting it off a bit.

Welsh Poppy, I am debating on doing a very nasty article for the newsletter questioning peoples motives for joining a club, I saw my first club go to the wall and am desperate to build team spirit and a real sense of fun, don't know if the Tommy Docherty approach will work, but I have tried being nice. Ironically it's the newer runners who have the greater sense of commitment it seems and why should they feel disappointed.

Lizzy- I really enjoyed my run yesterday, the canal is really scenic, gets a bit rough on approaching Leeds, also there is the benefit of looking at all the hills knowing you won't be running up any of them. However I still manage to fall over with regularity, scared some walkers when I did it yesterday they thought I was going to knock them into the canal.

sfh legs- what a good pb, 1:35 will not be far away.

Minks- Oh I do know the type of run you describe, the next one will be totally different. Did you question your whole reason for running and start to inwardly berate yourself for daring to think you possibly had some aptitude for it? If yes then this was my Uttoxeter half marathon a couple of years ago, the following week I won Leeds Half after starting slowly because I was convinced I couldn't run fast.

• Options
    evening all.

legs feel fine after yesterdays 16mile LSD and am tempted to go for run, but told myself i would rest so that is what i'll do.

Will go for swim / jacuzzi session instead.

Well done all on some awsomme running over the w/e. As someone else said, it's very inspiring.

Nicky2k, 2 miles will soon become 3 then 4 then 5 then.................

....... 26.2
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening all!

Coco-cat-glad you had a good weekend at the training camp!

Welcome back from your hols sfh legs and well done on your pb. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted and that you felt like sh&te! I've had those kind of races as I think most runners have. Doesn't feel good at the time and even after you feel slightly unhappy even with a pb, but give yourself a pat on the back you didn't throw in the towel you stuck it out and that builds mental strength!:o)

Minks-I think quite a few had horrid run into the wind yesterday. I seemed to be running into it for 15 of my 20 miles and like you the final few miles were uphill! Also I agree if anything makes me want to cry on a run it's those kind of conditions, just so miserable and especially if you're having a stinker of a run! As others have said, you'll find the next one will be fine. Start out slower and try and enjoy it. Good luck with the rest of your marathon training!

Well done Nicky2k on your run. Keep up the good work and you'll find the distance increasing in no time.

Well I felt rather tired today and debated whether to actually do any training, but not being one to wimp out easily I did a recovery run of 3.5 miles. Felt awful, legs really tired so I came back and did 30 mins on turbo just to add to the tiredness! It's only fatigue from yesterday's long run and i'm sure it'll be fine tomorrow. Seeing physio for massage tomorrow and can't wait!
  • Options
    Evening all,

Minks, as others have said, we learn from those hellish long runs, that's what they are for after all. Shows what mental strength you've got to complete it, and you can't run a marathon without that! Just a thought, did you remember to eat plenty the day before? That's something I have forgotten to do in the past and suffered for it.

STH legs, well done on your pb, despite the 'bad run'!

LizzyB I love reading about your antics. Hope that arm is ok!

After this mornings run I am now aware of some soreness in my hip. Not bad but enough to put doubts in my mind. Two races coming up this weekend, Wilf Richards xc relay Saturday, first time racing as part of a club team, and Radcliffe 12m trail on Sunday. Decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Minks, we've all had those sort of day's, it's what makes to good so wonderful.

sfh legs, well done on the PB!

Coco-cat, training camps are fun & all levels usually mix ok.

Nicky2k, it will come in time, the winter will disapear soon & then you can enjoy the summer!

Hat, gloves, full length tights, gillet for me tonight!
    Still will be in vest & short's in 5 weeks time!!!
    9M turned into 10M & everything felt fairly good apart from left ankle feeling it from Saturday. That will pass in a day or two.

Simon, sounds like your having a bad time still, wish I could over some real help.